Author Topic: Work for the dole  (Read 40948 times)

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Work for the dole
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2015, 08:31:59 AM »

Oh and I was earning $18.00 a week too much to get that lovely first home owners grant that was available?
Did anyone , except those in privileged positions or ministerial jobs, actually get that grant?
While I was told I earned $18.00 a week too much, but the banks told me I earned too little to qualify for a loan.
It took some lucky coincidence, a lot of negotiation and a bit of fiddling to secure a loan at all.

Love the system don't ya?

Thinking back on it, I should have pissed all my money up the wall, spent up big and wasted everything I earned.
Could have had a great time travelling and just living beyond my means, then when I was all clapped out I could just go to centafink and pleaded poor, get given a lovely free ride for the rest of my life with rent assistance and the dole.
Stuff that hard work and saving crap.

I got the first home buyers grant and it helped immensely and I'm not a minister or privileged.
I'm 31 and I am now in the process of building a house. It will be my 3rd house I have upgraded each time through hard work and if I sat on the dole I never would have owned a house. If I keep working hard hopefully I can retire early.

Stabi I am sorry but you are full of negativity
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper
The following users thanked this post: Hewy54

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2015, 08:57:25 AM »
Cannot understand how some people seem to see living on the dole or age pension as desirable. I worked hard, saved, took some risks in investments so that I can lead a better lifestyle. I now hope that my super will last for the next 20-30 years until I leave this planet and at that stage there should be s sizeable inheritance for my grandchildren.
We sometimes see the result of people living off welfare, but is this lifestyle something you would aspire to?

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2015, 09:29:22 AM »
Cannot understand how some people seem to see living on the dole or age pension as desirable.

Neither can I !!    Have been on the dole for 6mths  some 20yrs ago, and even though it puts money on the table, you really seem to be only in survival mode..

How someone can spend a lifetime on it is something I can't get my head around, but even though I MAY get on it come the end of the year, I'm 56 and job prospects are a lot thinner on the ground than a few yrs ago ..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Darren253

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2015, 09:47:22 AM »
I can't understand some of the negativity in this thread...

Stabi, you are one of the lucky ones!!!
Take your $45k per year and enjoy it. As for being jealous of those reciving the dole and "you should have done things different" you must have rocks in your head!

If you want to suplement your 45k with part time work at a supermarket/Bunnings/cleaning then even better.

I don't believe anyone is "entitled" to anything and I am truely thankful that I was born white and with the right passport that has given me the opportunities I have had so far. I worked with many skilled Indians in the Middle East who were treated like prisoners and worked away from home for 365 per year, 12hrs per day for $350 per month to feed there families who they didn't get to see... (In thier communities, they are the lucky ones)

Most of us, even those on welfare have it much better than 90% of the rest of the planet. I'm not religious or a greenie and don't know who to thank, but be thankful for who you are and what you've been lucky enough to accumulate.

Negativity attracts negativity! Always has and always will...

I have been unemployed for 4months at the age of 33. My wife is pregnant (doesn't work since first child as made redundant on maternity) and I have a 3year old son. We have been on the road for 107 days and frankly it has been the best thing that we could have done. I will carry these memories of our quality time to my death bed. We don't get a cent of government assistance and don't intend to. When the funds are low, I will pick fruit, do diy, clean toilets, paint houses, mow lawns or what ever it takes to put food in front of my family. We will sell our camper and downsize the car, all before ever taking a cent of welfare. When and if we truly had nothing and no options, then is the time I would look for help from my government.

When my industry picks up again, I will look to return to that (O&G). If it doesn't pick up in Australia, then we will pack up our things and go to where the work is.

As humans, we don't need much to survive and live an awesome and happy life... We just think we do!

This has turned into a rant and I didn't want it to, but I hope you can understand my sentiment.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:24:12 AM by Darren253 »
2013 LC200 Altitude
2014 CC Exodus 14
The following users thanked this post: discoteddy, paceman

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2015, 03:56:34 PM »
I can't understand some of the negativity in this thread...

Stabi, you are one of the lucky ones!!!
Take your $45k per year and enjoy it. As for being jealous of those reciving the dole and "you should have done things different" you must have rocks in your head!

If you want to suplement your 45k with part time work at a supermarket/Bunnings/cleaning then even better.

I don't believe anyone is "entitled" to anything and I am truely thankful that I was born white and with the right passport that has given me the opportunities I have had so far. I worked with many skilled Indians in the Middle East who were treated like prisoners and worked away from home for 365 per year, 12hrs per day for $350 per month to feed there families who they didn't get to see... (In thier communities, they are the lucky ones)

Most of us, even those on welfare have it much better than 90% of the rest of the planet. I'm not religious or a greenie and don't know who to thank, but be thankful for who you are and what you've been lucky enough to accumulate.

Negativity attracts negativity! Always has and always will...

I have been unemployed for 4months at the age of 33. My wife is pregnant (doesn't work since first child as made redundant on maternity) and I have a 3year old son. We have been on the road for 107 days and frankly it has been the best thing that we could have done. I will carry these memories of our quality time to my death bed. We don't get a cent of government assistance and don't intend to. When the funds are low, I will pick fruit, do diy, clean toilets, paint houses, mow lawns or what ever it takes to put food in front of my family. We will sell our camper and downsize the car, all before ever taking a cent of welfare. When and if we truly had nothing and no options, then is the time I would look for help from my government.

When my industry picks up again, I will look to return to that (O&G). If it doesn't pick up in Australia, then we will pack up our things and go to where the work is.

As humans, we don't need much to survive and live an awesome and happy life... We just think we do!

This has turned into a rant and I didn't want it to, but I hope you can understand my sentiment.

Well said.
I particular like your sentiment on "entitlement"
Best wishes to you and your family.
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2015, 05:05:41 PM »

I have put my name down for Marine rescue and Im also thinking about the rural fire or whatever the volunteer group is.

I have been looking around for mens sheds, with the skills I have I can possibly help out here as well.

Stabi

What part of the country are you?
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Apples69

• Tent User
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2015, 07:07:24 PM »
Why not start a thread of people looking for work
What their skill sets are and whether they are prepared to relocate or a distance they will travel to work
Some people might require some casual work done and hence can use my swag people who are looking for work
There is a job going to a good mature person in a food outlet in toowoomba. Owner keeps getting let down by staff not turning up. If anyone is interested just PM me. Could be part time or casual
2011Trackabout Safari and 2016 Prado

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2015, 07:45:34 PM »
I am so glad someone has came back re the negativity. Same with so much hate for our politicians. Yes they are not perfect, but look a little deeper and with a unbiased political view and see where the trouble is. I used to be very one party person in my Union days then I started to question and became a non party voter. I can now see all sides of politics and see how currently our federal Parliament is being controlled by a hostile senante and issues that are extremely important for our future are being blocked. Sad part is a leader who has very little plans and is very negative is winning the popular votes.  Sorry, my little rant........   kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2015, 07:50:07 PM »
Well said Kev.
Bought a what?

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2015, 07:57:50 PM »
I got the first home buyers grant and it helped immensely and I'm not a minister or privileged.
I'm 31 and I am now in the process of building a house. It will be my 3rd house I have upgraded each time through hard work and if I sat on the dole I never would have owned a house. If I keep working hard hopefully I can retire early.

Stabi I am sorry but you are full of negativity
JuicyApples, Stabicraft is talking about a much earlier grant scheme, back in the late 1970s / early 1980s.
By the time we bought our place in 1986 the grant had ended, and it was only possible to get a small portion of a loan at the 'fixed' housing loan rate, about 5%, with the balance at approx 18%.
That was more, quite literally, 'credit card interest rates'.  The Federal Treasurer at the time was a little pr!ck named John Howard...
The amount you could get at the low interest rate was based on your bank balance over the past 2 years, so I actually started out by borrowing $5000 from my credit union, putting it on term deposit with the bank, then paying off the loan out of my pay every week, as well as paying rent.

Stabi must be a bit older than me I think, as I was too late to even be in the race for the earlier grant.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2015, 08:00:59 PM »
I am so glad someone has came back re the negativity. Same with so much hate for our politicians. Yes they are not perfect, but look a little deeper and with a unbiased political view and see where the trouble is. I used to be very one party person in my Union days then I started to question and became a non party voter. I can now see all sides of politics and see how currently our federal Parliament is being controlled by a hostile senante and issues that are extremely important for our future are being blocked. Sad part is a leader who has very little plans and is very negative is winning the popular votes.  Sorry, my little rant........   kevin

I'd have to agree to disagree. Our current bunch of politicians as a whole, lack any insight or political will to address the real issues that we are facing. It is easier to kick the can down the road and leave the mess for someone else to try and clean up. They are only interested in engaging those swing voters who may control,the electoral outcome, rather than developing sound policies and a dialogue with the voters that would see them engage and support hard decisions to make things better in the long term. Both Hawke and Howard managed to sell the need for hard decisions to the electorate. Hawke had the wages freeze (sorry Accord) and Howard the reduction of public service jobs and asset sales. The current crop couldn't sell an ice cream to my kids in the middle of a Queensland summer!

There are one or two ( and I mean those numbers) who have some foresight and economic understanding. The rest I'd take to a Cape York for a swim in the Jardine River.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2015, 08:08:57 PM »
They are only interested in engaging those swing voters who may control,the electoral outcome, rather than developing sound policies and a dialogue with the voters that would see them engage and support hard decisions to make things better in the long term.

Welcome to democracy
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2015, 08:14:17 PM »
JuicyApples, Stabicraft is talking about a much earlier grant scheme, back in the late 1970s / early 1980s.
By the time we bought our place in 1986 the grant had ended, and it was only possible to get a small portion of a loan at the 'fixed' housing loan rate, about 5%, with the balance at approx 18%.
That was more, quite literally, 'credit card interest rates'.  The Federal Treasurer at the time was a little pr!ck named John Howard...
The amount you could get at the low interest rate was based on your bank balance over the past 2 years, so I actually started out by borrowing $5000 from my credit union, putting it on term deposit with the bank, then paying off the loan out of my pay every week, as well as paying rent.

Stabi must be a bit older than me I think, as I was too late to even be in the race for the earlier grant.

Must be Alzheimer's then. Keating under Labor was treasurer from 1983 -1991. Interest rates hit 18% in 1989.  In 1986 rates were about 13.5% . I remember it all very well.

:)

http://www.loansense.com.au/historical-rates.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasurer_of_Australia#List_of_Treasurers

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2015, 08:15:28 PM »
Welcome to democracy

Noone said it was the best system. Just the best we've made so far :)

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2015, 08:20:33 PM »
Must be Alzheimer's then. Keating under Labor was treasurer from 1983 -1991. Interest rates hit 18% in 1989.  In 1986 rates were about 13.5% . I remember it all very well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasurer_of_Australia#List_of_Treasurers[/

No mate, just going from memory. It was the Libs who got rid of the first home buyers grant, I believe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasurer_of_Australia#List_of_Treasurers
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2015, 08:25:10 PM »

I figured he may have meant several years ago but he never clarified it.
The little prick who was a great prime minister or is that another little prick?  :cheers:
Bought a what?

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »

The little prick who was a great prime minister

That obviously is an opinion not shared by everyone....but an opinion neverless !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra
The following users thanked this post: Barry G

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2015, 08:31:37 PM »
I figured he may have meant several years ago but he never clarified it.
The little prick who was a great prime minister or is that another little prick?  :cheers:
Handed out sh!t loads of money to the wealthy, including unlimited tax free superannuation if you had the money to afford to stash away. Just one of the many examples of middle class welfare that have resulted in an inadequate tax base, forcing those younger than me to now have to work till they are 70.  Nothing 'great' about that, just the very political opportunism others on here have spoken about. Likewise, as Treasurer he also dodged some of the hard decisions subsequently taken on by Labor. The fixed exchange rate, which in significant part is what started pushing interest rates up, being another of those decisions.

Offline jetcrew

• "Lar's N Crew"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • The more you spend the less you go ? make sense!
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2015, 08:44:24 PM »
might be off the topic..but been touched upon

Home loans or buying a home ..I have this uneducated theory as discussed with my 17.5YO son last week.

weather buying a 80K home at 18% or a 300K home at 3% ..ITS GUNNA COST YOU 50% OF YOUR INCOME.

Kids these days carry on about how hard it is ..I say BS ..get used to living off 50% of what you earn not 95% and then complaining you cant afford a home on what's left.

Sacrifice does not discriminate between generations the goal posts might move but the sacrifice is still there as the ferry man.

jet ;D ;D
RV POWER SOLUTIONS
sales@rvpowersolutions.com.au
Solar and RV Power Specialists
https://www.facebook.com/pages/RV-Power-Solutions/1610471999204535
The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2015, 09:07:47 PM »
Handed out sh!t loads of money to the wealthy, including unlimited tax free superannuation if you had the money to afford to stash away. Just one of the many examples of middle class welfare that have resulted in an inadequate tax base, forcing those younger than me to now have to work till they are 70.  Nothing 'great' about that, just the very political opportunism others on here have spoken about. Likewise, as Treasurer he also dodged some of the hard decisions subsequently taken on by Labor. The fixed exchange rate, which in significant part is what started pushing interest rates up, being another of those decisions.

Working till 70 or beyond is a demographic issue in the Western world, not the result of any particular leader or party. If you look beyond Australia, you will see the same issue in many countries. It's going to be a real drag on economic prosperity as the world figures out how to deal,with people living much longer and how to fund it.

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2015, 09:15:59 PM »
Wasn't Hawke/Keating in government in power when interest rates were at there highest?
Bought a what?

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2015, 09:20:01 PM »
Wasn't Hawke/Keating in government in power when interest rates were at there highest?
Was actually them who made the hard decisions, having inherited rising interest rates from Fraser and Howard.

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2015, 09:22:27 PM »
Like the hard decisions the current government is trying to make after labor pissed our money up the wall.
Bought a what?

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2015, 09:26:20 PM »
Working till 70 or beyond is a demographic issue in the Western world, not the result of any particular leader or party. If you look beyond Australia, you will see the same issue in many countries. It's going to be a real drag on economic prosperity as the world figures out how to deal,with people living much longer and how to fund it.
I don't deny the demographic reality, how that was already evident when Costello handed out the 'all you can stash away' super to the wealthiest early baby boomers. Not so much a short term political 'fix' as 'poisoning the well' for the next government. For that reason a genuine example of political barstardry

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2015, 09:35:26 PM »
I don't deny the demographic reality, how that was already evident when Costello handed out the 'all you can stash away' super to the wealthiest early baby boomers. Not so much a short term political 'fix' as 'poisoning the well' for the next government. For that reason a genuine example of political barstardry

Seems like you need to read that inter generational report really.