Author Topic: Chickens at home  (Read 34532 times)

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Chickens at home
« Reply #175 on: January 20, 2019, 12:22:33 PM »
I had a good laugh at ours the other day.

I threw a hot dog roll out on the lawn and 2 of the chooks launched themselves at it. Shortly after a crow turned up and started stalking towards the roll.

The elsa hen (Dinner) was having none of that, so she chased the crow off and went back to the bun.
Crow stalks in closer and Dinner goes the crow again, crow just hops further away, lured Dinner around 20m away before hopping over her head and going for the roll.
The fat Australorp (Chubchub) sees the crow inbound, is going to have none of that and goes the crow.

From there it was like watching an A grade soccer player subbing into a D grade game. Chubchub and Dinner both launched themselves at the crow who effortlessly dodged and sidestepped the angry chickens, grabbed the whole bun and legged it.

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2019, 01:21:31 PM »
Hi,
    Having caught a large huntsman in a jar, I was taking it out the back to release it in the garden.
As I ejected it from the jar towards the lawn I was aware of a grey blur, inbound , from my left.
Chook met spider at the point of ground contact.
Ooops, sorry spider.
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »
We escaped the wild dog attacks in our valley a few weeks ago.
My neighbors coop was a mess from that attack.
The neighbor on the other side he got a shot at one of the dogs, but missed it. He reckons it was a big black mongrel, obviously the baiting they’ve been doing up on the ranges lately hasn’t been enough to get the whole pack of ferals.

But sadly for us the cunning little fox got into our place last night and killed our big fat Sussex.
She was so fat he couldn’t drag her back through the little hole he’d managed to squeeze through on my double lined fence.

Had a quick little burial early this morning before the kids saw it half chewed.

We’re down to 4 in our coop now. :(

Offline rockrat

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2019, 01:25:09 PM »
Not chicken related but yesterday I got a call from my daughter who was home alone. She was in hysterics - the dogs had bailed up a HUGE lizard and she couldn’t get them to stop barking at it.

I wasn’t clear if she was worried about the dogs, the lizard or the fact she couldn’t hear the TV due to the commotion. I asked her to send a photo of the lizard but she said it was huge and she wasn’t going anywhere near it!

Finally arrived home about and hour later to find the dogs (Cavalier King Charles spaniels) dining out on a poor blue tongue lizard which was probably 30cm long but definitely not the Kamodo dragon size she made out it was over the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk