Author Topic: MDC XT 10 Hypercamper Thoughts Please  (Read 26586 times)

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: MDC XT 10 Hypercamper Thoughts Please
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 11:00:31 AM »
Im seriously considering an AT10 evo(now the AT11). I checked Lifestyles out for about an hour at Perth caravan show, and they look pretty good bit of gear.
Walked past MDC and decided to compare. As per previous post, gaps in folding section, also most bits feel like cheap products.
The slide out kitchen had sharp edges in many places, steel felt thinner, sliding runners felt flimsy, interior quality and finish not in the same league.
I was quiet surprised in the difference between the 2.
When you consider theres not much in the price, I would choose a local product that gives quality parts and back up service.Plus the ability to change layouts to suit is also a big plus
Cheers Glen
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 10:02:11 PM »
Not sure why anyone would consider a chinese product when the original aussie product is a similar/same price ??

Regardless of quality/build issues..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Market Direct Campers

• Tent User
  • www.marketdirect.com.au PH: 1300 4x4 4x4
    • MDC Camper Trailers & Caravans
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2015, 01:05:05 AM »
I had a good look at one of these at the Rockhampton camping show last year and was incredibly disappointed with the quality of finish. Could never justifying spending my hard earned on something so poorly finished.

Have you seen the new 2015, V5 ?

Small | Large

If you really want to see what the Range of XT Offroad Caravans are capable of, then get yourself a couple of these DVD's http://www.lowrange.tv/

Happy Camping ;)
MDC Insider 

:cheers: out of retirement  :cheers:
[img width= height=]http://www.importersandwholesalers.com.au/forum/myswaglogo2.jpg[/img]

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 06:46:39 AM »
Interesting to have a MDC rep pass comment in this thread yet not take the opportunity to respond to the claims they've copied the Lifestyle AT-10 product and respond to why one should consider their company given the price similarity to the Australian made and original, Lifestyle product.

Silence is golden.

BTW we're in the build que for a new Lifestyle AT-12
The following users thanked this post: woolgoolgaoffroad

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 08:28:03 AM »
Have you seen the new 2015, V5 ?

http://youtu.be/9It82BL3tK8?list=UUMjoehlkYGZ2VqW7vLfMujg
If you really want to see what the Range of XT Offroad Caravans are capable of, then get yourself a couple of these DVD's http://www.lowrange.tv/

Happy Camping ;)
MDC Insider 

:cheers: out of retirement  :cheers:

Yes I just checked out the latest at the Perth Caravan and camping show 2 weeks ago and as I said in previous post, not in the same league as
the Lifestyle campers that appears to have been copied.

cheers Glen
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2015, 08:43:19 AM »
Interesting to have a MDC rep pass comment in this thread yet not take the opportunity to respond to the claims they've copied the Lifestyle AT-10 product and respond to why one should consider their company given the price similarity to the Australian made and original, Lifestyle product.

Silence is golden.

BTW we're in the build que for a new Lifestyle AT-12

If you want to start a hate/slanging match of you did this, you did that, start your own thread  >:(

I'm NOT interested in innuendo, rumours or 2nd hand garbage or opinions, sorry for the rant but this sort of thing is happening more and more when somebody asks a question and members with no bloody idea about the subject start muddying up the water  >:( >:( >:( >:(
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2015, 11:50:42 AM »
If you want to start a hate/slanging match of you did this, you did that, start your own thread  >:(

I'm NOT interested in innuendo, rumours or 2nd hand garbage or opinions, sorry for the rant but this sort of thing is happening more and more when somebody asks a question and members with no bloody idea about the subject start muddying up the water  >:( >:( >:( >:(

How is this muddying the water? All Australians should think carefully about supporting the Chinese ripoff option. The manufacturing industry in this country is in tatters because of it. Not every kid can go to uni, nor should they. in times past the industry has employed so many young Australians, trained them and set them up for life. An entire generation of skills is being lost right now due to the buying decisions of all of us.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2015, 12:12:42 PM »
How is this muddying the water? All Australians should think carefully about supporting the Chinese ripoff option. The manufacturing industry in this country is in tatters because of it. Not every kid can go to uni, nor should they. in times past the industry has employed so many young Australians, trained them and set them up for life. An entire generation of skills is being lost right now due to the buying decisions of all of us.
Read my op

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline The punter

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2015, 01:22:41 PM »
Read my op

I did, you asked for the good, bad and ugly. This is a forum where posts may be read by many other prospective buyers and not just you. The ugly truth is that these are a poor imitation built in China with idea stolen from an Australian company's IP - A point that is worth taking into consideration.

Im a toolmaker by trade, I looked at these at the show in Adelaide. They are flimsy, poorly constructed and thrown together with little skill or care. If that's your thing then go for it, but I don't understand why anyone with the interests of Australian jobs as at least a consideration would'nt pay the bit extra to get the genuine thing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:25:37 PM by The punter »
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 01:34:42 PM »

I looked at these at the show in Adelaide. They are flimsy, poorly constructed and thrown together with little skill or care.
That part of your comment is a fair comment,  :D the rest is just muddying the waters with your personal opinion of the company and it's ethics which may or may not be true, and then trying to politicize the thread   >:(

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline The punter

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 01:42:22 PM »
That part of your comment is a fair comment,  :D the rest is just muddying the waters with your personal opinion of the company and it's ethics which may or may not be true, and then trying to politicize the thread   >:(

Buying Australian isn't necessarily a political thing. It's a family thing, investing in your kid's future.

Sorry man but it's just a bugbear of mine, I have watched the thriving industry that I grew up in die, to the point where I had to change tack and get out. I was lucky, so many I knew were not.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2015, 07:16:01 AM »
Go easy y'all, this thread is being watched.
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2015, 07:39:09 AM »
Sorry Marvin Snow
 I was just trying to keep the thread on the track of the PHYSICAL good, bad or ugly and not bring morals, emotions or politics into the discussion  :-* :D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 07:48:53 AM by xcvator »

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Homer_Jay

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 08:01:23 AM »
That V5 in the YouTube clip above is a good looking bit of gear!

My only concern is the size of that toilet holding tank (seems small), and the longevity of the back folding bit. Once it is ten years old and been opened and closed a thousand times, will it all still seal up nice and tight.

Landcruiser 76 wagon V8 T/D

Supreme Getaway pop top 12 ft

Offline Titch

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2015, 09:34:04 PM »
I have an XT10.

I typically do not respond to forums because they are too often full of hearsay, opinion and untruths. For those who want genuine comment from an MDC XT10 owner, read on.  Please note that I will not respond to hearsay, “in my opinion” or emotionally motivated posts.

Tow vehicle: 2012 Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto (4inch lift, Long Range Tank, bar & Winch, 6 wheel tire pressure monitors)

Hybrid camper: MDC XT-10, 60 litre Engle and gas BBQ. (+ two adults)

Trip: Brisbane, Birdsville, Boulia, Alice Springs, Kings Canyon loop, Katherine, Roper Bar, Borroloola, Burketown, Normanton, Townsville, Brisbane. (Using the Donoghue/Plenty Hwy and Savannah way)

Distance: Total 10,000km, gravel road 2,000km - over a period of 4 weeks. To cover this distance and still have a few days at Birdsville, ‘the Rock’, Katherine and Townsville I was often using persistently higher speeds than I expect most travellers would on the heavily corrugated roads and through the (hundreds) of dips/creek crossings.

I have XT-10 build number 9, I experienced no failures, there are no cracks and everything opens and shuts as it should.  The spare tires have dual locking mechanisms, a primary and a secondary.  I did break one of the secondary latch possibly by me over tightening it.  The dust suppression was acceptable, (there was only slightly more dust in the van compared to what we got into the car), the new three point latch door (see below) will improve this further. 

Being one of the first production models, MDC were keen to get my feedback. I made the following recommendations: Stiffer and taller coil springs (improved full load height and stability on gravel at speed), dual shock absorbers (improved heat transfer during high temperatures on persistently heavily corrugated roads). Three point door locking (improved dust sealing).  Reduced tow hitch weight (easier manual handling and stability at speed on gravel).  Loctite on all latches and knobs (prevent them vibrating loose over enduring corrugations).

I understand that MDC have implemented all these recommendations on the current models. 

As a personal preference, and at my own cost I changed the tow coupling.  I say this was a personal preference because the supplied coupling was made in Australia and in all respects compliant and fit for purpose.

To make it perfectly clear to the small number of wallies that seem to dominate these forums - I have no family or financial involvement with MDC..

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2015, 05:35:49 AM »
I have an XT10.

I typically do not respond to forums because they are too often full of hearsay, opinion and untruths. For those who want genuine comment from an MDC XT10 owner, read on.  Please note that I will not respond to hearsay, “in my opinion” or emotionally motivated posts.

Tow vehicle: 2012 Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto (4inch lift, Long Range Tank, bar & Winch, 6 wheel tire pressure monitors)

Trip: Brisbane, Birdsville, Boulia, Alice Springs, Kings Canyon loop, Katherine, Roper Bar, Borroloola, Burketown, Normanton, Townsville, Brisbane. (Using the Donoghue/Plenty Hwy and Savannah way)

Distance: Total 10,000km, gravel road 2,000km - over a period of 4 weeks. To cover this distance and still have a few days at Birdsville, ‘the Rock’, Katherine and Townsville I was often using persistently higher speeds than I expect most travellers would on the heavily corrugated roads and through the (hundreds) of dips/creek crossings.

I have XT-10 build number 9, I experienced no failures, there are no cracks and everything opens and shuts as it should.  The spare tires have dual locking mechanisms, a primary and a secondary.  I did break one of the secondary latch possibly by me over tightening it.  The dust suppression was acceptable, (there was only slightly more dust in the van compared to what we got into the car), the new three point latch door (see below) will improve this further. 

Being one of the first production models, MDC were keen to get my feedback. I made the following recommendations: Stiffer and taller coil springs (improved full load height and stability on gravel at speed), dual shock absorbers (improved heat transfer during high temperatures on persistently heavily corrugated roads). Three point door locking (improved dust sealing).  Reduced tow hitch weight (easier manual handling and stability at speed on gravel).  Loctite on all latches and knobs (prevent them vibrating loose over enduring corrugations).

I understand that MDC have implemented all these recommendations on the current models. 

As a personal preference, and at my own cost I changed the tow coupling.  I say this was a personal preference because the supplied coupling was made in Australia and in all respects compliant and fit for purpose.

To make it perfectly clear to the small number of wallies that seem to dominate these forums - I have no family or financial involvement with MDC..

Welcome to the forum Titch. Nice first post....
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2015, 08:36:33 AM »
Thanks Titch for posting, interesting read

ps, welcome to the forum  :cheers:

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

UIZ733

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2015, 08:55:30 AM »
I have an XT10.

Welcome to the forum and taking the time to review this product in calm and un-emotive language.
Your final statement is valid unfortunately as increasingly it appears some cannot let a post progress without inane banter and unsubstantiated drivel.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2015, 09:14:50 AM »
Titch it would be nice to see some pics of the trip and set up, Think we may be  looking at one of these style little units  in the near future. 10,000 km in a month is way to hectic a pace for me .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2015, 09:45:49 AM »
Not sure why anyone would consider a chinese product when the original aussie product is a similar/same price ??

Regardless of quality/build issues..

I still stand by this comment......whether it be chinese, japanese or new zealand......for a similar/same price, I don't understand the logic of avoiding aussie made....UNLESS it was proven that the aussie product was inferior !!!!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2015, 10:46:41 AM »
I still stand by this comment......whether it be chinese, japanese or new zealand......for a similar/same price, I don't understand the logic of avoiding aussie made....UNLESS it was proven that the aussie product was inferior !!!!
As I have said BEFORE I am looking for FACTS FACTS FACTS nothing more, nothing less, so unless you have some FACTS about the PHYSICAL construction and capabilities of this camper please BUT OUT  >:( >:(

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2015, 11:36:46 AM »
Just go and buy one..........you have chosen to ignore and belittle anyone who has posted up about it, so quit asking questions and spend your money..

BTW, it's BUTT out !!!!   ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »
As I have said BEFORE I am looking for FACTS FACTS FACTS nothing more, nothing less, so unless you have some FACTS about the PHYSICAL construction and capabilities of this camper please BUT OUT  >:( >:(

If you're looking for facts you're kidding yourself because as far as the internet is concerned, its all here say (unless you actually know the good folk on here personally). Anyways, sounds like you've already made your mind up. Good luck
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2015, 01:49:16 PM »
Why do people make assumptions about things like this  ???
At no time have I suggested that I was going to buy this or any other camper ffs  ???
All that I have seen about this camper/caravan is either MDC advertising or a hate "Chinese campers" syndrome with all that entails  :-*
Has the thought crossed your minds that I may just be interested in the facts in case at sometime in the future I may downgrade to a caravan

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2015, 02:51:20 PM »
sometime in the future I may downgrade to a caravan

:cup: