Author Topic: Blue Tongue Campers  (Read 24428 times)

Offline rastus

• Tent User
Blue Tongue Campers
« on: February 06, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »
Hey peeps, has anyone bought a Blue Tongue Camper. a friend of mine has just bought one from the Albury Jayco dealership and so far is happy. I am coming to the Caravan and Camping show in Melbourne next week to see one in the flesh, as there is no Victorian dealers as yet. They are loosely based on a Kimberly Camper and as I carnt afford one of them I'm keen to see this

http://bluetonguecampers.com.au/products-page/camper-trailers/overland-xr-rear-fold-camper/

Come on brainstrust what do you people think

Kind regards

rastus

Offline rastus

• Tent User
Re: Blue Tongue Campers
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »
come on peeps....someone must have an opinion

Offline crappsy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Life's short so enjoy it when you can
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 08:11:27 PM »
Can't really give you much but I have just put a deposit on a blue tongue overland elite and to my eyes it's a good looking bit of ki,  and the up grade to the xr looks good too. But I am as yet to take it out in the world.

KingBilly

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 09:05:54 PM »
Looks just like the myriad of other imported campers.   :D

Just make sure you have a good inspection and if it will do what you want, then you have a bargain.

Good luck
KB

Offline rastus

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 09:34:48 AM »
Thx for the replies.

Prolly too late for you Crapsy but there is an Elite on gumtree ATM for $15000, looks new but not what I want. I currently have a Tambo Cooper XT and I am more than happy with the build and canvas they are a great camper. But SWMBO wants a rear fold hard floor. I would prefer to buy an Australian camper KingBilly but the 30- 40k difference between the Blue Tongue and the Kimberly is too much, thats why I am looking at this.

Once again thx for taking the time to reply

Cheers rastus

Offline crappsy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 01:49:17 PM »
Yes rastus I did see that one on gumtree after I got back from the camping show. I still came out ahead. Yes I get where your comming from re the price difference between a kk and blue tongue. I could not see a huge quality different at the show kk was next to blue tongue so I got a good comparison. But then again I'm no expert.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 03:49:02 PM »
I've looked over the bluetounges that they used to make in house (not sure if they still do). The quality was pretty good I reckon.  Not sure if these come in as kits and is built here, or as complete units but I'm sure they'd try to make the same quality apply to the stuff they're importing that they had on the their Aussie built trailers
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 04:54:56 PM »
That's a pretty impressive looking camper and a good price too. It could be a serious contender for the replacement of my old swag camper for next summer. Will keep an eye out for feedback and reviews and a personal inspection first though.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 05:07:50 PM »
........ They are loosely based on a Kimberly Camper and as I carnt afford one of them......

Have you had a look at this one?.....

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30334.0

.....stretch your budget, then enjoy the real thing.

The Kimberley will always be worth good money. The Blue Tongue....??
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:09:27 PM by GeoffA »
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline 6knights

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 05:33:10 PM »
Nice looking unit, I Like the idea of the square end tent on the camper, looks like a much better use of space than the sloping end types that most seem to make. Might just be in the market for a second hand one in a few years time, as I can't convince other parties in the family ATM to trade up into one

Trevor
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:31:02 PM by timetogo »
2006 100 series towing a 2012 modcon HFA  🙂

Offline crappsy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 06:26:52 PM »
GeoffA

.....stretch your budget, then enjoy the real thing.

Not sure what your idea of stretching is but more than double is more than I could get SWMBO to look at. But I take your Pont re Australian made. Blue Tongue do make some of their own trailers (trakka models) and from my eye they have tried to keep the os made trailers to as close to the same quality as they can.
With all the competition in the market now who knows what a second hand unit from any manufacturer will be worth down the track.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:31:27 PM by crappsy »

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 09:13:46 PM »
Not sure what your idea of stretching is but more than double.........

Maths not a strong point?? 22g v 35.5g neg is not "more than double".

Only you know what fits you, but the real cost of ownership = purchase price - sale price.
The Kimberley will cream the Blue Tongue on that point alone, then there's the build quality...

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline crappsy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »
Sorry GeoffA i think were getting off the topic here a little and i meant no disrespect to your valued input.
My numbers related to the base hardfloor camper from blue tongue the elite at 17k to the KK 35.5k as their base model. Granted the kk base model is specd better than the blue tongue's top hardfloor model the xr.
As you said "Only you know what fits you" and its good to get all perspectives which is why this forum is so good.  :cup:

My opinion may and probably will change with time but for now i think that it looks like a good unit and that's all i will say. 

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 09:40:29 PM »
All good crappsy.

Did you read the details in the link I posted? It's serious unit, with a LOT of good gear and quality extras.
Much better value for money IMO, even though not new. It's a personal choice, though.

:cheers:

Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline rastus

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 08:09:06 PM »
Thx for the honest discussion guys. This is why I started this on the forum.

I know KK will always be a superior camper and would dearly love to have one, but ATM they are out of our price range. I will keep you posted on what I decide after I see one in the flesh.

My friend who bought his just after xmas has already replaced the C-TEC charger, this is not a reflection on Blue Tongue but on the Shit quality of where they are now made. When we were in Cape York July-August 2013 I spoke to a man who had just spent $80-90k on a 4x4 van and in 6mths he was on to his 3rd C-TEC and was still having charge issues.

once again thx...food for thought

rastus

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 09:02:01 PM »
Plenty of us have imported hardfloors like the BlueToungue. I am more than happy with what I have got for my money. Be aware that not imported CT's are well made and that you really need to look over your purchase very carefully. A few of us (including me) have discussed the good and bad with these campers in the "my camper" area on the forum.

I love the KK'S's, pretty much my favourite camper and not compatible in quality, fit out and finish to the imported campers, not even close.    Like you, I just can't justify spending that sort of $$ on a CT.

Good luck with your purchase.

Offline Peeb

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 02:13:57 PM »
I had a look at the one they have in Jayco Albury yesterday. Turns out they build the cheap ones here from ALKO parts and then put an imported tent on it. The more expensive ones are wholly made overseas. Go figure. (Happy to be corrected if wrong).

Anyway, the base model they had looked good value at around $6k for trailer, tent and then add a Drifta in the back. No electrics but what do you want for that price. The trailer looked well built and the Jayco bloke said he had replaced his ancient Cavalier with one and was happy with the quality of the canvas on the Blue Tongue (well he would wouldn't he...)

Happy to hear comments from others because this little camper is looking like what we want at the minute - my wife is tossing up between it and a $30k Cub along with swapping her Passat for a Discovery. Usually it's me that needs to be reigned in from dream world back to reality lol. I'm hankering towards a 14 foot Cavalier but it's nearly twice the price.

Offline LuckyDog

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 04:34:24 PM »
Looks like a new Camptime model also

Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk

2016 Landcruiser GXL SC with Obieco Canopy
Kedron 2002 XC poptop
Don't use either as much as i like,
Would every Day be too much to ask tho?

Offline peter01

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • live the -
    • http://ourezytrail.blogspot.com.au/
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 05:48:01 PM »
Both there forward and rear fold were on display at the Melb show must admit now the FF has made the list for our next camper, quite impressed. The guy mentioned that the FF was assembled in Kirrawee NSW the body and canvas are imported and the fit our occurs in Sydney

2014 GLXR Triton
2015 Blue Water - FF Darling camper

Our blog:     http://ourezytrail.blogspot.com.au/

Offline rastus

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 07:57:40 PM »
Peter, I was also impressed by their product  and the  honesty shown by the two salesmen ..The campers are put together in China using Indian canvas. When they arrive they are wired and plumbed [gas and water] to Australian standards in Sydney then sent out to the dealers, I had full intention of buying the demo model, but did not like the external speaker setup. My choice.
I opted to order a slightly different setup, now I have to wait 3 months to get what suits us....bugger...but we get what we want.

I also liked the fact the camper had been up over night and unlike some others had no water inside despite seriously bad weather overnight.

Like I said Scott and Carl were really helpful, no pressure and even suggested we look at other campers before we made a decision, then we went back 3 hours later and put our order in.

carnt wait

cheers rastus

P.S. My beloved Tambo Cooper XL has gone to a good home...sad face
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:02:16 PM by rastus »

Offline crappsy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 08:37:27 PM »
Rastus did you go with the XR. I got a call today and am picking up my elite on Wednesday so here's hoping for you you get a call early too.   

Offline rastus

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 10:00:19 PM »
I did go with the XR Crappsy....suits what we want to do ATM. I hope your happy with your purchase. I'm yet to be convinced about the complete quality of all the fittings [poles etc] but I believe they are value for money.

GeoffA posted a link to a second hand KK and I know they are the benchmark but it was 7 year old and still 15k dearer.....maybe when I win tatts lol

cheers rastus

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 05:29:53 AM »
I did go with the XR Crappsy....suits what we want to do ATM. I hope your happy with your purchase. I'm yet to be convinced about the complete quality of all the fittings [poles etc] but I believe they are value for money.

GeoffA posted a link to a second hand KK and I know they are the benchmark but it was 7 year old and still 15k dearer.....maybe when I win tatts lol

cheers rastus

I see your maths hasn't improved, and that you didn't compare the total package.... ;D ;D

When you get your new camper, your first job should be to change the wheel bearings.
Hopefully it'll take a std, readily available, quality bearing.

Enjoy your purchase Rastus... :cup: :cup:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline crappsy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 03:22:33 PM »
Just an FYI rastus my elite was fitted with ford bearing same as the territories, that said blue tongue guys did say that some models had different bearings in it.

Offline rastus

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 01:54:51 PM »
thx crappsy, I am following this up with the guys at BlueTongue now

cheers rastus