Author Topic: Bush Survival  (Read 11204 times)

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Bush Survival
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 01:19:45 PM »
Where is he wrong?   From beginning to end.

Refer to the government authority's site; a direct quote:-

Will a 112 call be carried by satellite if there is no mobile coverage?

No. Satellite phones use a different technology and your mobile phone will not be able to access a satellite network.

If there is no mobile coverage, you will not be able to reach the Emergency Call Service via a mobile phone.

taken from

http://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/calling-the-emergency-call-service-from-a-mobile-phone--faqs

Chris J's advice is bad and dangerous.  (sorry to be blunt).   callmejoe, you must have been within another carrier's GSM network.

Across the nullabor 8 years ago NO ONE had coverage.  I have been in telstra for over 20 years due to them having the best coverage.  Optus voda phone where not even our of cities back then.
We rang 000 which DID NOT WORK. 112 DID it put us through to a emergency service. So I'm pretty sure it does work. 

Joe
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »
So if you are making up an emergency kit for this type of travel what options could/should he have had on board as far as food it said they were down to their last of mouldy bread but is there a good option to have packed that lasts a long time.

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 01:45:31 PM »
Across the nullabor 8 years ago NO ONE had coverage.  I have been in telstra for over 20 years due to them having the best coverage.  Optus voda phone where not even our of cities back then.
We rang 000 which DID NOT WORK. 112 DID it put us through to a emergency service. So I'm pretty sure it does work. 

Joe

Whether 000 works or not depends on your GSM phone's programming. I've heard that some even convert 911 into 112.
Whoever you were talking to on the Nullarbor, it wasn't a satellite.   

The Australian Communications and Media Authority's advice is clear on this.  The link has already been posted.

I have also been with Telstra mobile for over 20 years.   I often find myself in the high country without a signal and my friends with Optus phones are able to dial out.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 02:03:06 PM »
Also depends on the phone In question for example where I was working in the Pilbra my Iphone would have no signal but my work blackberry would have 3 bars and I could happily talk and email away
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 03:02:48 PM »
If caught out above all Dont panic and think out each action before doing it, Keep positive   ... Conserve water and foods to half rations or less to extend them, Signal fires are only good at night and no wind short ranges during the day  ... Use the vehicles mirror to reflect the sun and aim at aircraft, can be seen they say up to 80 klicks away in clear conditions .. limit movement as much as possible to dawn dusk or night when its cooler, ..
Improvise a  kite from the first aid kit space blanket if able to spare it, as a locator beacon if conditions are right .
Dont waste the trucks systems abillity [ fuel / battery etc ]  to get you out at a later time .
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:11:05 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2014, 03:24:45 PM »
I thought there was some requirement for the event to be life threating before you can fire an EPIRB.

Geez, sounds like potentially life threatening to me!

A good result in the end but preparation is the obvious key.

Cheers,

Disco teddy.
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Young Nomad, Travelling
    • Tripigy
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2014, 03:59:34 PM »
We were advised by the government on the following guidelines.

The service as such is "FREE" and is provided by the Australian Government. However if you are deemed to have "abused" the service then you will be charged the appropriate costs.

So they explained it quite simple. If you are in a life threatening situation in which you need immediate assistance and are unable to get it from somewhere close by then that is an emergency. Anything else and you may be charged for recovery.

We have a simple scenario for the kids (which have both been taught how to use it). If we say had a vehicle rollover and mum and dad where badly hurt then it is ok to turn on.

I suppose the problem is what do people call life threatening. Unfortunately i never got anything from them about what is life threatening and what is not, just that if they "deemed" it not life threatening, don't be too surprised to be getting a bill.
2015 LC200 - Snowy - Sahara with all the mods.
Custom built Off-road Caravan.

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2014, 04:56:45 PM »
One thing to remember with an EPIRB is that if you do get lumbered with the costs is that you might have to pay for a light plane to fly overhead, not a major search and rescue event involving dozens of emergency service people and megabucks.

Offline Tweekin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2014, 06:59:46 PM »
I work for one of those carriers and I can assure you the use of your mobile for satellite access in the event of no coverage  is completely wrong. As Stated above it only works when you are in range of another gsm carrier tower. All mobiles sold in Australia in the last 12 years or so natively support 000, you do not need to dial 112 to access the 000 network operators.

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2014, 07:52:05 PM »
And remember you can drink your own pee if you need to.

2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2014, 08:09:36 PM »
Bush survival skills were far more prevalent during the 70's. The introduction and subsequent popularity of Brazilian waxing techniques has made access and navigation far easier for todays intrepid explorers.

hehehe, funny stuff!! ;D
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2014, 01:52:24 PM »
These are a little more interactive than an EPIRB but cheaper than a sat phone.

http://www.alwaysinreach.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&catid=10?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=SpotSatSleeve

http://au.findmespot.com/en/

although a second hand sat phone is comparable in price and with Iridium/Telstra it can be zero cost until you need to make a call.

Offline billnjim

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
I work in remote exploration for junior companies that don't have access to mega bucks - regardless of where we are travelling we have controls  in place for a variety of unplanned events that are relatively affordable to the mum & dad (average)traveller 1. We always notify of route and destination eta ( ok we have an appointed person who approves all journeys and knows the routes/road&track conditions from regular updates) which also records rescue and recovery details; 2. SPOT trackers - these are cheap, track your progress, can have a customized message,  can provide notification that you're ok, need assistance (people you select) or send a sos to the authorities 3. Training - we keep it simple; stick to the travel plan, have the grab bag stocked for worst case scenario, know how to use comms & first aid equipment, never leave the immediate vicinity of the vehicle and ask yourself if you need to go there, if your vehicle is capable and if you have the ability to recovery from any presenting situation - a no to any of these questions means a no to the trip; 4. Satellite phone - okay these can cost, apart from training exercises I haven't used mine in a few years, its just a backup incase the primary form of comms fails or I need to say more than the SPOT is programmed for; 5. Well serviced and maintained vehicle's that always have water available.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 10:40:46 AM »
I was reading the news re finding the father and sons in outback QLD and thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on bush survival.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/hero-farmer-tom-wagner-just-had-to-find-missing-boys-and-father-in-outback-queensland/story-fnixwvgh-1227164576762

Mr van Lonkhuyzen used a large, plastic bowl to capture rainwater, a vital instrument in keeping him and his sons, Ethan, 7, and Timothy, 5, alive.

“He actually set out some hi-viz towels, spread them out on the ground around vehicle so it could much more visible in case an air search took place,” South West District Acting Superintendent Mick Bianci said.

“He lit a fire to put up some smoke to attract anyone who was out there and saw the smoke and he sent out SOSs on the horn of his vehicle, but of course it’s remote and isolated. There was no one to hear it.”

Much like an emergency grab bag in a boat, what are the vital essentials when lost/trapped/broken down/bogged/whatever reason in the bush?

- Ability to make fire
- Ability to collect water
- Ability to attract attention
- Ability to keep dry/warm/cool/shade
- Ability to call in the emergency
- Ability to identify location to search parties

Getting back on Topic - stumbled across these two lists which contain pretty much the elements to achieve the above - Survival kit is 24 hrs, BOB is a 'vehicle' survival kit for 72 hours

http://www.heimanhabitat.com.au/pdf/PERSONAL-SURVIVAL-KIT.pdf
http://www.heimanhabitat.com.au/pdf/Bug-Out-Bag.pdf
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway