Author Topic: Daylight Savings  (Read 16385 times)

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2019, 12:16:39 PM »
hahahaha...... so, over a couple of years, you've saved up an hour a day, can you then get free day every now and again.

Or just put 'em in the bank for a rainy day?
Country Lane Classic Cars.

We stand behind every car we sell.
We may not help you push it home, but we will stand behind it and watch.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2019, 12:19:53 PM »
Yaayyyyy I get to deal with cross border QLD'rs that cant understand  they crossed into a different  time zone,  types all over again .. " "
                                                 "  What do you mean your about to close, We just got here " ....       
                                                   Yes sir that is correct and In NSW we are one hour ahead of you and our trading day is closing ..
                                                "  Splutter splutter but  but its still daylight you should be staying  open " ...
 " So we should stay open, pay over time to our staff,  just in the hope you might come to visit / wander around for an hour or so then buy nothing and leave  ... NUP NADA NOT GUNNA HAPPEN ...
Get your backward Government to bring your state into the 21st Century,  Inline with the majority of the Eastern states of Australia..  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 12:22:42 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2019, 12:43:28 PM »
NAH, just happy to in Qld and normal.  ;D
Country Lane Classic Cars.

We stand behind every car we sell.
We may not help you push it home, but we will stand behind it and watch.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2019, 01:19:08 PM »
This always does my head in
The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2019, 01:39:37 PM »
Hooray!!! I love fairytales.

And now you lucky buggers get to spend the next six months pretending that time is not what it actually is.

Just wondering we all get to play that pretending game?
Can we pretend that Melbourne weather isn’t crap or pretend that Sydney isn’t full of a**holes?? ;) :P

https://youtu.be/84aWtseb2-4
The following users thanked this post: edz, GBC

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2019, 01:55:15 PM »
Dosn't worry me whether we have it or we dont , Just wish they'd standardise it so that its the same either way for all .  :-*
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2019, 01:58:18 PM »
Dosn't worry me whether we have it or we dont , Just wish they'd standardise it so that its the same either way for all .  :-*
x eleventy
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2019, 02:15:12 PM »
Hooray!!! I love fairytales.

Was waiting for you to show up!  ;D

After watching that video I'll add it to the list of real reasons against daylight savings

1) Pete won't be able to go for a surf before work.
2) Sundials become inaccurate.
3) And from the video, It's confusing for some mythical person that organises international conference calls between multiple cities just from memory (as opposed to using any of readily available technology that can tell you in an instant)
4) Also from the video, some other mythical person who took a very specific trip through the boondocks of Arizona, and felt the need to change their clock for driving 2km through a reservation would have to change it multiple times in a short journey.   

Actually, on second thought, I think I 'll keep my list at 2   :P

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2019, 02:31:40 PM »
And while I am on my soapbox, you often hear about FNQL that they already have enough sunshine, its different because they are so far north and closer to the equator so it's already light later etc, etc

I'll just put the Sunrise and sunset times for Today for Cairns and Melbourne for comparison.

Cairns5:57am6:14pm
Melbourne5:51am6:27pm

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2019, 02:32:08 PM »
Was waiting for you to show up!  ;D

After watching that video I'll add it to the list of real reasons against daylight savings

1) Pete won't be able to go for a surf before work.
2) Sundials become inaccurate.
3) And from the video, It's confusing for some mythical person that organises international conference calls between multiple cities just from memory (as opposed to using any of readily available technology that can tell you in an instant)
4) Also from the video, some other mythical person who took a very specific trip through the boondocks of Arizona, and felt the need to change their clock for driving 2km through a reservation would have to change it multiple times in a short journey.   

Actually, on second thought, I think I 'll keep my list at 2   :P
You could have just kept the list at 1. ;)
The only one that matters. I was paddling out at 6am on Monday thinking about the idiots that want it to be dark at that time.. ::)

And I’m also point 3. I often have to arrange conference calls between the real world (QLD), the pretend world (Sydney) and the 3rd world (Florida)... ;)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2019, 03:46:30 PM »
And while I am on my soapbox, you often hear about FNQL that they already have enough sunshine, its different because they are so far north and closer to the equator so it's already light later etc, etc

I'll just put the Sunrise and sunset times for Today for Cairns and Melbourne for comparison.

Cairns5:57am6:14pm
Melbourne5:51am6:27pm
I think you’ve misinterpreted that one.
The point is North Queensland has “enough sunlight”, so they don’t need to save any for later. :P

Cairns:
October sunrise 5:57am, set 6:14pm
February sunrise 6:13am, set 6:48pm
July sunrise 6:45am, set 6:01pm

Melbourne:
October sunrise 5:51am, set 6:27pm
February sunrise 6:53am, set 8:14pm
July sunrise 7:30am, set 5:23pm

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2019, 04:11:31 PM »
I think you’ve misinterpreted that one.
The point is North Queensland has “enough sunlight”, so they don’t need to save any for later. :P

Cairns:
October sunrise 5:57am, set 6:14pm
February sunrise 6:13am, set 6:48pm
July sunrise 6:45am, set 6:01pm

Melbourne:
October sunrise 5:51am, set 6:27pm
February sunrise 6:53am, set 8:14pm
July sunrise 7:30am, set 5:23pm

Kind proves the theory that the daylight savings works in Vic and they must have gained more than an extra hour of daylight per day.
In February in Cairns it has 12hr 36 min daylight
Melbourne it is 13hr and 21 minutes
That is a total of 1 hour and 45minutes extra per day or approximately 49 hours for the month of February
It ain’t rocket science

Offline rockrat

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2019, 05:27:55 PM »
I grew up in NSW and loved daylight savings as a kid. 1. It meant summer was just around the corner and 2. I could play outside after dinner and 3. A sundowner could run through to almost 9pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2019, 05:34:57 PM »
I'd love to have daylight saving time in South East QLD......but in winter, not summer.
That way when you knock of work at 5pm, you could still have an hour of daylight instead of it already being dark.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Complete Campsite Exodus 16.

Offline rockrat

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2019, 05:50:38 PM »
I'd love to have daylight saving time in South East QLD......but in winter, not summer.
That way when you knock of work at 5pm, you could still have an hour of daylight instead of it already being dark.
I’d vote for that! It is already dark when I get up in winter, so it doesn’t really matter if it was darker a bit longer in the “cube farm”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Palmer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2019, 07:02:52 PM »
I grew up in NSW and loved daylight savings as a kid. 1. It meant summer was just around the corner and 2. I could play outside after dinner and 3. A sundowner could run through to almost 9pm
Same for me in Tassie, just loved the extra time after school for playing outdoor when I was a kid

Offline tedota

• Tent User
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2019, 08:05:48 PM »
what about your curtains fading  ;D ;D

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2019, 08:18:40 PM »
what about your curtains fading  ;D ;D

That’s easy fixed, get timber blinds

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2019, 10:31:51 PM »
I grew up in NSW and loved daylight savings as a kid. 1. It meant summer was just around the corner and 2. I could play outside after dinner and 3. A sundowner could run through to almost 9pm.

Same here, it's one of those things that I wish my kids could experience as well, maybe it will come in before they all grow up. Can't see it happening in the short term, but I think as the majority already want it, it will happen quickly when once a political party decide to run with it.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2019, 12:36:29 AM »
The other one I hear is that QLD doesn't "need it" (which is technically true) but the implication is that due to QLD geographic differences means that although it might make sense in the southern states, it doesn't here due to the time the sun sets particularly in the north and the west. I kind of bought it for a while until I saw this video, basically, the state that daylight savings makes the most sense for is QLD, The sun sets in Cairns before Sydney/Melbourne/Canberra/Hobart and the sun sets at Mt Isa (with its huge 0.4% of QLD's population) About 15 mins after Sydney, the same time as Canberra, 15 min before Melbourne and 20min before Hobart.
https://youtu.be/hWsTy9s4h_o?t=9 

Offline DandyD

• Swag User
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2019, 03:06:25 AM »
As an outside I'm wondering if it is really worth it for the sake of half an hour. We have summer and winter time here but it's a whole hour.

Offline Palmer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2019, 06:55:00 AM »
It's a full hour
I think the map of Aus with South Australia being only 1/2 hr different may have caused confusion

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2019, 07:13:13 AM »
It’s not about sunshine. While Seq and the southerners can go galavanting in the magic twilight of a cooling day, in fnq in summer it stays over 35 odd degrees right up until sunset and after. If you didn’t have artificial cooling during the last trials we had it would have been hard work trying to do simple things like cook and get kids ready for bed while they are in a full sweat. We barely get any inside time at the end of the day as it is. I was in fnq for the trial we did in ‘89 (?) prior to taking the vote and I still whole heartedly say shove it where the sun doesn’t shine. If you want to be a time lord, bugger off down south. The rest of the world is moving away from it also. https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/26/european-parliament-votes-to-scrap-daylight-saving-time-from-2021

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2019, 09:00:41 AM »
If only Queensland come on board...

Although during winter would be my preferred.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2019, 09:34:21 AM »
It’s not about sunshine. While Seq and the southerners can go galavanting in the magic twilight of a cooling day, in fnq in summer it stays over 35 odd degrees right up until sunset and after. If you didn’t have artificial cooling during the last trials we had it would have been hard work trying to do simple things like cook and get kids ready for bed while they are in a full sweat.
I am not saying the temperature isn't an issue, but I have honestly only ever heard it come up when the "the sun already sets later in QLD" issue gets shot down. I haven't been able to find any historical hourly average temperatures that show if the temperature plummets after sunset like I have seen others claim elsewhere and would somewhat validate the point, or if it is more of a gradual decline which wouldn't give it much credence.

The rest of the world is moving away from it also. https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/26/european-parliament-votes-to-scrap-daylight-saving-time-from-2021

Adding a bit more context, the EU voted to give countries the option to choose either year-round winter time (normal time) or summer time (DST) based on a survey where 70% of the survey responses came just from Germany. Germany, from what I have read, will go to year-round summer time (DST). You could say that it's not that they don't like summer time (DST), it's that they like it so much they want it year-round.