Author Topic: Bike riders !!! Grrrr - things are getting worse up here  (Read 68734 times)

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Bike riders !!! Grrrr - things are getting worse up here
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2015, 09:44:11 AM »
I'd hate to think where you'd pack the chute, Shane? (Please!No info required ;D)
Steve

Chute ??? Nah, Stand up and stick your Dunlop Volley on the back tyre like we did as kids  ;D
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2015, 09:58:06 AM »
Hah I'll see your puny rocket bike and up the anty with gravity ...Dohhhh !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfu0hjVtzE
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:17:47 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2015, 11:23:21 AM »
Hah I'll see your puny rocket bike and up the anty with gravity ...Dohhhh !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfu0hjVtzE

That fancy brain bucket didn't do him much good. Should have stuck with a tried and tested Stack Hat.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline liquid

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2015, 08:13:28 PM »
True idiots will still be idiots rego / liscence whatever in / on a car bike plane horse etc ..
Wouldnt know if it will / wouldnt work till its tried, but like everything else we do as a user we are required to be liscenced and certyfied as competent users and pay a fee .. A car liscence wont do you zip, when busted riding a motorbike, using a boat or flying a plane, caught with a firearm etc .. So why shouldnt there be an endorsement for pushbikes ..
What I think it would do is put in place a bit of accountability and takes away that air of being anonymous, untracable and I can get away with doing what I like attitude.
Why shouldnt ALL users help upkeep what they use .. Put it this way if you have 4  cars and use on the roads , they have got to be rego'd and insured for each one ... So what makes a pushbike rider so special that they dont have to comply like all other users ..why should other users have to cover the costs and give it to pushbike riders for free..
Hypthetical scenario to consider : The way it is atm a pushbike rider can cause a crash and ride off in total anonymity, be untacable and unaccountable because they cannot be identyfied other than a guy on a pushbike wearing x type of clothes and riding x type of bike ...
Scenario 2: Rider causes an incedent wearing vest with number , witnesses record number .... Blue badge of reality go find said rider from recorded imformation and proceed from there .
Nothing covers all bases but it levels out the field a bit for most everyone, how would it be if cars trucks had no number plates and didnt pay rego or have insurance  and only pushbike riders did [ shoe on other foot ] .the way I see it .right or wrong it will never happen it was just an opinion ...on the matter ..
stay safe outhere on your rides . Oh and I used to ride too .just not in lycra .. ;D

Hypothetical scenario to consider (which occurs a lot more often than a bicycle hit and run): The way it is atm someone on the street or in the pub could king hit someone and walk off in total anonymity, be untraceable and unaccountable because they cannot be identified other than a guy wearing x type of clothes
Scenario 2: Someone king hits someone on the street wearing a vest and a number, witness record number.. blue badge of reality go find said person from recorded information and proceed from there.

Maybe everyone should wear an identifying number whenever in public or, even better, be electronically tracked and filmed at all times. Then we wouldn't have to worry about people slighting us in total anonymity.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2015, 08:16:14 PM »
Maybe everyone should wear an identifying number whenever in public or, even better, be electronically tracked and filmed at all times. Then we wouldn't have to worry about people slighting us in total anonymity.

I though that's what mobile phones were for............... ;D

Why am I now thinking of George Orwell?
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline MattP

• Learning the Ropes
  • Forward Fold Camper
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2015, 08:29:06 PM »
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/family-feud-question-about-something-annoying-a-cyclist-might-do-causes-backlash-20150114-12niow.html

"What is something annoying that a cyclist might do?"

EVERYTHING!!  :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

Funny, every item on the family feud list could just as easily be a car driver; ring bell/sound horn, ride slowly/drive slowly, plenty of lycra in cars early in the morning on the way to the gym.  Its the 5% (idiots) rule in all walks of life that cause angst.  Relax.
Kedron, Brisbane.  Modcon Imperial HFA

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2015, 08:36:32 PM »
You just admitted to knowing way to much about family fued . Shame shame on you
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:38:36 PM by dales133 »

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #208 on: January 15, 2015, 08:20:22 AM »
Rego for bikes, stupid idea as how will you make little Johnny riding to school pay rego or old simple Simon and its his only way of getting around, or a family ride with the kids down to the park, it's just dumb and won't work. And who really wants to give the government more money?
But what gives a Lycra clad, tour-de-fake hero the right to hold up truck drivers while they are doing their job. In a lot of cases you are riding for recreation, but these drivers are trying to make a living and time is money. If you can't do 80 or 100kph on your pushy, then stay off the highways.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #209 on: January 15, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
Quote from: grafy82
Rego for bikes, stupid idea as how will you make little Johnny riding to school pay rego or old simple Simon and its his only way of getting around, or a family ride with the kids down to the park, it's just dumb and won't work
same as cars, you have an age limit. +16 you need it..

Then again, life isn't fair, and we seem to dumb down everything for minorities...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2015, 10:24:27 AM »
But what gives a Lycra clad, tour-de-fake hero the right to hold up truck drivers while they are doing their job. In a lot of cases you are riding for recreation, but these drivers are trying to make a living and time is money. If you can't do 80 or 100kph on your pushy, then stay off the highways.

The roads are paid for by taxes for public use. There is a legal right to use the road and the lane for ALL vehicles be they tractor, bicycle, delivery truck or sports car. That's the way it is.

Used to be that common courtesy would say the slower vehicle in front would move over where possible to allow faster vehicles to pass. Used to be also that if you came across a slower vehicle in front, your common courtesy would allow you to wait for a few seconds until you can pass safely. Common courtesy isn't so common now though.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2015, 11:39:11 AM »
I am a cyclist and ride to work every day on my pushy.
I agree that there are cyclist who need to go back to school and leran the rules. Road rules apply to everyone.
It is the small minority who spoils it for the others.
Same with the car drivers.
I am riding on a busy road every day and 99.5% of the car drivers are giving way, make room etc.
Only once or twice a week someone tries to block you of or yells at you for no apperant reason.
But I must say most are aware of me.
I have tried riding on the footh path, but that is even more dangerous. Exits, entries, uneven, trees you name it.

Coming from the Netherlands were cyclist are everywhere with seperated bike paths, riding in Australia is still an adjustment for me.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2015, 12:31:25 PM »
The roads are paid for by taxes for public use. There is a legal right to use the road and the lane for ALL vehicles be they tractor, bicycle, delivery truck or sports car. That's the way it is.

Used to be that common courtesy would say the slower vehicle in front would move over where possible to allow faster vehicles to pass. Used to be also that if you came across a slower vehicle in front, your common courtesy would allow you to wait for a few seconds until you can pass safely. Common courtesy isn't so common now though.
On the defence very quick think your missing the point the way I read it is be respect full don't hold up the traffic like most of those tutu wearing arrogant twats that think wether it is a single lane road or a four lane highway there on a mission to get their café latte and they have the rite to take up the entire road - I too ride quite often and in my thongs tank top and boardies no need to dress like Olivia newton jon on a movie she did in the 70's just to take the kids out doors and try to be a little fitter than would be if I did not but I go out of my way to avoid roads wether it would be travelling 40-100kms along the coast with the bikes on the back or if it is just out the drive cross 3 intersections and do a 30km round trip with out crossing any traffic but I believe even if the law does not the roads are for vehicles not to be held up yes you do come across a slow moving vehicle but majority of the time it would be a bus, truck or tractor and they are there to earn an income not to have there bright multi coloured date stared at by a frustrated motorist and you would find they will pull over to let you through. And with people saying it is a small minority of the cyclists that are in the category I described they too must avoid roads as well because a good 90% of the cyclists I come across are the arrogant twats I am referring to.
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2015, 12:33:16 PM »
The roads are paid for by taxes for public use. There is a legal right to use the road and the lane for ALL vehicles be they tractor, bicycle, delivery truck or sports car. That's the way it is
so why should cars/trucks/m-bikes have to pay rego for this right and pushys don't?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2015, 12:34:22 PM »
Can you please use punctuations? It is almost unreadable.
I will try again to read it as I have no idea what you are telling us.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2015, 12:43:51 PM »
Grrr...things are getting worse around here. Wow, Check out this driver behaviour!

Speeding  12,305 (513 per day)
Unregistered vehicles  3892 (162 per day)
Mobile phone offences  2782 (116 per day)
Disobey signs/signals  2076 (86 per day)
Unlicensed drivers  1638 (68 per day)
Seat belt offences  1293 (54 per day)
Drink driving  1247 (52 per day)
Disqualified/suspended drivers  1120 (47 per day)
Drug driving  338 (14 per day)
Impoundments  226 (9 per day)

Full story. http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/500-drivers-caught-speeding-each-day-on-victorias-roads-during-operation-raid-20141208-122m6n.html

and how many of those stats are applicable to cyclists - those stats would be a hell of a lot higher if they had to follow these laws mentioned for the motorists

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2015, 12:45:21 PM »
so why should cars/trucks/m-bikes have to pay rego for this right and pushys don't?
Cars, trucks and m-bikes have rego because they are capable of causing significant damage and injury and need to be readily identifiable. The rego process also helps ensure that there is a level of roadworthiness, especially in states with annual safety checks.

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2015, 12:48:20 PM »
and how many of those stats are applicable to cyclists - those stats would be a hell of a lot higher if they had to follow these laws mentioned for the motorists

Those stats would also be a hell of a lot higher if every infraction by a motorist was included, the stats only indicate who was caught.

...and cyclist do have to follow the laws, and do get caught, just not as often because there aren't as many as there are cars.

Offline monbeg

• Tent User
« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2015, 12:51:08 PM »

Simples, the law says so.

A Vehicle is something used as an instrument of conveyance. It can include any conveyance used for transporting passengers or things by land, water, or air. It can be a self propelled conveyance that runs on tyres like a motor vehicle.

A Motor Vehicle means a self-propelled device designed for transporting persons or property on a public highway and is required by law to be registered.

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2015, 12:51:20 PM »
On the defence very quick think your missing the point the way I read it is be respect full don't hold up the traffic like most of those tutu wearing arrogant twats that think wether it is a single lane road or a four lane highway there on a mission to get their café latte and they have the rite to take up the entire road - I too ride quite often and in my thongs tank top and boardies no need to dress like Olivia newton jon on a movie she did in the 70's just to take the kids out doors and try to be a little fitter than would be if I did not but I go out of my way to avoid roads wether it would be travelling 40-100kms along the coast with the bikes on the back or if it is just out the drive cross 3 intersections and do a 30km round trip with out crossing any traffic but I believe even if the law does not the roads are for vehicles not to be held up yes you do come across a slow moving vehicle but majority of the time it would be a bus, truck or tractor and they are there to earn an income not to have there bright multi coloured date stared at by a frustrated motorist and you would find they will pull over to let you through. And with people saying it is a small minority of the cyclists that are in the category I described they too must avoid roads as well because a good 90% of the cyclists I come across are the arrogant twats I am referring to.

Yes I was on there defence. I did understand the point, but it also appeared that the post by grafy82 did not indicate that there is a right be a d-head and ride in the lane, in law. The don't be a d-head rule isn't a law it is just what is the right thing to do to make everyone's day a little easier.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:53:54 PM by NewieCamper »

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #220 on: January 15, 2015, 12:52:50 PM »
Can you please use punctuations? It is almost unreadable.
I will try again to read it as I have no idea what you are telling us.
was typing whilst I was taking the kids for a ride

Offline monbeg

• Tent User
« Reply #221 on: January 15, 2015, 01:14:38 PM »
I am a cyclist, a regular camper and a 4wd owner/driver.

Below is an example that is not uncommon, 4wd passing on the left side of another vehicle via an occupied 24 bike lane.
Some 4wd "drivers" are obviously less risk to the public when they are on outback tracks !

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 01:16:55 PM by monbeg »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #222 on: January 15, 2015, 01:25:23 PM »
I am a cyclist, a regular camper and a 4wd owner/driver.

Below is an example that is not uncommon, 4wd passing on the left side of another vehicle via an occupied 24 bike lane.
Some 4wd "drivers" are obviously less risk to the public when they are on outback tracks !
I've seen bikes lane splitting to the pole position at lights, after holding people up for 10klms, the cars get past finally then the bike decides hes too important and "ITS MY RIGHT" and holds everyone up again... :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #223 on: January 15, 2015, 01:34:58 PM »
Get over it.

Offline Brucer

• Tent User
« Reply #224 on: January 15, 2015, 02:25:49 PM »
It's hardly surprising that bringing up the subject of cyclists in a forum occupied by campers and 4WD enthusiasts, i.e. "real blokes" the  response is fairly predictable, with the few dissenting voices largely shouted down by the majority.
After all, any camper that rides a bike to work probably doesn't belong here anyway, right? I mean jeez I bet they drive a friggin Subi or some puncey pissant soft roader like that. It's amazing how quick people rush to stereotypes.
There was a comment made above about the few(a/hole cyclists) spoiling it for the many, and it reminded me of similar comments made in the past about campers and 4WD'ers. We've all seen campsites with bottles and crap everywhere, tracks that have been torn to pieces by careless drivers, bogans doing donuts in thier sup'd up monsters. We are quick to distance ourselves from it because we know it arms those who would see tracks and 4WD access to campgournds permanently closed. We are quick to point out it's the minority that do this and most campers/4WD'ers do the right thing. Sounds familiar?
You can be sure that for every story of "that ba$tard cyclist that cut me off and gave me the finger" in this forum and others like it, there will be active threads on other forums telling their stories about "bogan 4WD'ers wrecking the joint", etc. The funny things is, we have those stories too!
Did I have a point?  yeah, sort of.. before you jump on the bandwagon mouthing off at some popular target, just think about the image of us 4WD'ers from the outside. It's not always a thing to be proud of.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:29:16 PM by Brucer »
Outback Campers Birdsville, Nissan Pathfinder R51