Author Topic: Specials on at Aldi this week!  (Read 91096 times)

Offline rockrat

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Specials on at Aldi this week!
« Reply #400 on: July 06, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »
Yes engineers.
Was working in country WA 35 years ago. We had a lightning strike on the 3.3kv /  440v tranny that supplied one of our pumps. Pumps were 1000Hp 440v DOL start using a GE main motorised isolator as a contactor on the lv side.  Id isolated the HV, racked out the lV isolator and tagged it out. Had to remove the inspection plate the check inside where lightning had destroyed the incoming connection horn. While I had my arm inside feeling the connection a engineer from head office unbeknown to me had driven out from Perth to "help".
He connected up my 1000v megger to the LV side of the isolator and pushed the test button.
The shock threw me off the top of transformer, across to a cyclone fence and knocked me out cold. 2 days in hospital.
So you’re assuming it was unintentional  ;D

The reality however is that engineering at uni teaches very little about actual electrical installations and the standards that apply. It’s really all theory and problem solving based. There was a time when I could have done the maths to calculate the power and torque produced by a motor from first principles, programmed in assembly language and understood the physics of how semi conductors actually worked.  But I was never taught what size motor, cable, circuit breaker, etc was needed at uni- that all came on the job.

Offline sparksy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #401 on: July 07, 2019, 12:47:57 AM »
So you’re assuming it was unintentional  ;D

The reality however is that engineering at uni teaches very little about actual electrical installations and the standards that apply. It’s really all theory and problem solving based. There was a time when I could have done the maths to calculate the power and torque produced by a motor from first principles, programmed in assembly language and understood the physics of how semi conductors actually worked.  But I was never taught what size motor, cable, circuit breaker, etc was needed at uni- that all came on the job.

I dont think he meant anything by doing what he did. I never saw him after the incident. He probably thought he was helping out and as it was racked out he thought it was ok.
Ive never seen a installation done like that one after that but the department I worked for did have a habit of thinking out of the box. When the pumps started up they would pull down the power in the whole town.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #402 on: August 19, 2019, 03:26:34 PM »
Interesting to see Aldi are doing Berkley and Roman branded products now.

The Roman swag looks like a good deal.
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-24-august/saturday-detail-wk34/ps/p/roman-king-camp-swag/

Edit;
While doing a quick search to see if this Aldi one was just a lower spec model, I found that our mate John at Tentworld has the higher spec Roman swag on clearance at the moment.
For an extra $50 you get better canvas and a 60mm memory foam matteress.....
https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/roman-flinders-swag-king-single?gclid=CjwKCAjw7uPqBRBlEiwAYDsr11iwVelTnp-C6D3BInbcB8AXlesCMIOBtnFSVNmrl2jg-as6AQHy_BoCHmIQAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:36:10 PM by Pete79 »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #403 on: August 19, 2019, 04:00:17 PM »
Quote from: Pete79
Interesting to see Aldi are doing Berkley and Roman branded products now
is that a good sign - or bad....

-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline lloydus67

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #404 on: August 19, 2019, 04:14:24 PM »
is that a good sign - or bad....
I believe the Roman brand is being discontinued from the oztrail range of brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #405 on: August 19, 2019, 04:23:15 PM »
Roman is part of the Primus Group, trading in Australia as Companion. Other brands currently owned by Companion are ElementaL, Zebra (they make the best stainless Billys), 4x4 Equip, Kookaburra and about 13 other brands you've probably never heard of.

Berkley is owned by a big American investment company....

Offline lloydus67

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #406 on: August 19, 2019, 04:27:22 PM »
Lol you’re right Pete, I got my brands mixed up, but I did read that Roman is being dropped from the brand lineup for now

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #407 on: August 19, 2019, 04:56:10 PM »
Berkly was owned by Newell Brands, purchased in 2017 when they purchased Jarden ( Investment Firm)

Berkely is part of the Pure Fishing Range, names like Penn, Ugly Stick, Spiderwire etc, this was then sold to Sycamore Partners in 2018 when Newell divested a number of non core businesses.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru
The following users thanked this post: Pete79

Offline MuruCycles

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #408 on: August 19, 2019, 06:35:01 PM »
Lol you’re right Pete, I got my brands mixed up, but I did read that Roman is being dropped from the brand lineup for now

My understanding from some of the press-releases was that Oztrail was planning on rationalising the offerings from each brand.

why have (for example), a 44ah power pack from Roman, Companion and more, if all the brands are owned by the same parent company.

So less doubling up of the same item rebranded.

This explains why Bunnings had some really cheap solar panels and power packs recently.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
www.desertchallenge.org
www.murucycles.com
105 series 1HZ towing a 1994, Supreme Getaway 14'
our "half an 80 series" camper trailer build http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=48738.0

Offline lloydus67

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #409 on: October 03, 2019, 07:48:30 AM »
Hello people

ALDI is selling the Roman 50L fridge for $399

Seems pretty cheap to me
Lloyd