Author Topic: MDC current 2014 'Step Through V4'  (Read 14085 times)

Offline Lori

• Tent User
Re: MDC current 2014 'Step Through V4'
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 10:01:19 AM »
We own an import camper and are mostly happy with it, nothing that would make me regret the decision to buy it.

My advice would be dont be blinded by inclusions, first and foremost have a look at the quality of the build. Having independent suspension might be nice, but the shine wears off if it fails under normal use circumstances, in short inclusions aren't much a consolation prize if the rest of the camper is rusting or falling apart around you.

Alot of the import campers are of a much better quality these days but it can still be a case of buyer beware, so make sure you do your due diligence and have a thorough look at the unit, read reviews of the product and company and where possible talk to people who have the same camper and/or have had dealings with the company.

Offline turbo ninja

• Swag User
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 07:23:25 AM »
Hi all

It seems this thread I started here has become a bit of an "import v aussie" argument. That was not my intention. originally I was interested in the quality of the MDC, I have more information on that now. My wife and I have done plenty of research since I started this thread and our eyes are opening. There is just so much to take into consideration. Obviously there a MANY MANY MANY campers both import and local (it is a head spin!) Both have some good points and some bad.  ie price, quality , after sales, spare parts etc

At this stage we have narrowed our search to aussie made camper trailers.

thanks for the discussion - it is all very informative. there are some clever people on myswag and they have some honest opinions, and these opinions, personal reviews and observations have helped our research (keeping in mind there are also business identities lurking too! lol  :laugh:   ) 

regards - turbo ninja
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:25:57 AM by turbo ninja »
Drive in: 2012 Prado GXL.
Sleep in: 2013 Lifestyle camper trailer

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 08:15:25 AM »
Good luck with your search.
Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline cap8959

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 11:53:17 AM »
While I don't post on here much, I do have some experience with MDC. There were a few teething problems with the stitching on the canvas, a gas leak and a latch that stopped latching which were all attended to when MDC were made aware. Actually as I have worked for a caravan company years ago I did the canvas work myself with tools supplied by MDC. Not that they refused to repair it, I just trust my skills.

I looked at many Aussie made products. You know aussie steel and aussie canvas etc. At least one large company that tells you it is aussie steel is not quite right. They buy from an aussie company which is true. However some (a Large amount at times) of the steel is imported and retagged here in Australia. This due to production restrictions in Australian mills. I cannot tell you who, where or when as I like my job and want to keep it for a while.

At no time is the steel sub standard, it does meet all standards in Aus and NZ, as does much of the steel used in imported trailers.

I don't get into the Aussie versus import argument. Look at what you get. Is it value for money? Are you happy with the layout, accessories etc.?

I am happy with my MDC so far, It has seen a fair bit of corrugations and dirt,  it has not fallen apart. Even still running the factory Taiwanese tyres without issue.  September will be a test with a 6,000klm trip planned. I don't expect any problems.

Chris

Offline Market Direct Campers

• Tent User
  • www.marketdirect.com.au PH: 1300 4x4 4x4
    • MDC Camper Trailers & Caravans
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 12:26:11 AM »
MDC Insider,

Do you even realise that Muzza01 has a fully imported Chinese camper himself? He is not trying to bag out your brand, he's just trying to do the right thing by making sure people do their homework. Even if you did actually sell 20000 units in 5 years, you need to realise that its all about quality not quantity. You must have a very long handled shovel mate, cause you're digging your hole deeper and deeper with your comments on here.

Hi Grafy82, no need to attack me on this forum mate. I know all about Muzz01's camper trailer, I sent him one of our 12V Electrical Panels from our Voyager Rearfold. http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30421.msg614966#msg614966 IMO Our Quality is just fine, best quality for price you can buy in the Australian market, hence the 20,000 + MDC's running around the country.

The proof is in the pudding so to say.

Happy Camping ;)
MDC Insider
[img width= height=]http://www.importersandwholesalers.com.au/forum/myswaglogo2.jpg[/img]

• Tent User
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 12:36:46 AM »
MDC Insider, again I must correct you. You are assuming that 20,000 people bought your product and were happy enough to keep it. There is a fairly good chance I think, that some of those 20,000 sales have been sold on by people who were NOT happy with the product.  So the question is, and rightly so, how many of the 20,000 were happy enough to keep the product.  :angel:  Turbo Ninja, go and see for yourself what the camper is like and take someone with you who you trust and has some knowledge about build quality. Then, compare the camper you are interested in with some competitors, and then make up your own mind. Unfortunately opinions can be biased, both ways. That is human nature. Personally I would not purchase any of the current imports, BUT that is not to say that they will not improve to the point where my views change. Quality changes to suit the market place I believe. But that is another long topic.   :laugh:

:cheers:
James

G'day James,

More than 20,000 people have bought the product, and those who have onsold their MDC's have sold them to people who were  :angel: happy :angel: to buy them, otherwise they wouldn't have forked out their hard earned.

We are more than happy to show anyone through our products, even MySwaggers with campers.
We've got nothing to hide, show us where we don't stack up, and we'll change the points across our whole range immediately :)

We have the personnel, drive, passion and leadership to win the market.

One day we will have the best camper trailer in Australia.

Happy Camping ;)
MDC Insider

[img width= height=]http://www.importersandwholesalers.com.au/forum/myswaglogo2.jpg[/img]

Offline Dogsbreakfast

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2014, 07:38:33 AM »
Fair enough MDC. Your crossover at-10 looks very tempting!
http://www.somuchviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/beer-holder.gif

Offline jkwpajero

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 10:07:17 AM »
G'day James,

More than 20,000 people have bought the product, and those who have onsold their MDC's have sold them to people who were  :angel: happy :angel: to buy them, otherwise they wouldn't have forked out their hard earned.

We are more than happy to show anyone through our products, even MySwaggers with campers.
We've got nothing to hide, show us where we don't stack up, and we'll change the points across our whole range immediately :)

Happy Camping ;)
MDC Insider

MDC Insider,
                   I think I might be long gone dead by then.  :D   You should start up a MDC breakfast cereal to go with the campers. The slogan could be "Start your day with a bowl full of ego. It keeps you regular"  Only joking !!  :angel:

James
Growing older but not growing up.

2014 Pajero VR-X
2014 Jayco Starcraft Outback

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 02:37:06 PM »
G'day James,

Happy Camping ;)
MDC Insider

Well, top marks for ambition mate.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

• Tent User
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 09:58:08 PM »

MDC Insider,
                   I think I might be long gone dead by then.  :D   You should start up a MDC breakfast cereal to go with the campers. The slogan could be "Start your day with a bowl full of ego. It keeps you regular"  Only joking !!  :angel:

James

Good to see some light hearted banter on here for once  :cheers:

Happy Camping ;)
MDC Insider