Author Topic: Superiority Complex with 4WD's  (Read 39855 times)

Offline Doweymex

• Tent User
Re: Superiority Complex with 4WD's
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2014, 07:24:27 PM »

It comes down to whatever floats your boat.

When I bought the Ranger 2 years ago it did exactly what I wanted it to do. Gave me ok off road capabilities and room to chuck the mountain bike in the back with camping gear and the like. It did the job for me.
Now...possibly looking to back date to a more capable off-roader because thats what I'm looking to do more and ranger has its limitations. Do I care what I get? probably not...never really understood brand loyalty. used to laugh at friends that sat there and became so passionate about Holden V Ford at high school, when they have never driven!
The car just needs to tick your boxes, badge shouldn't worry.

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Travelling with Shirley the van!
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2014, 10:08:13 PM »
Yeah heard some odd things about GWalls don't know how widespread that is or just the few with problems.

The New Mahindra pikup looks interesting -lol
at least it doesn't have a DPF...
and it really needs the Mahindra bullbar to look normal.

But that's the thing I think a 23k car you will beat the shyt out of it and not think twice about it.

my 4x4 is raked to hell and a few dings too I plan on killing it and having as much fun as possible.

We've done about 18,000km in the Great Wall so far - we have the petrol single cab ute. Apart from being quite under-torqued when the camper is on the back it has been great. Has been on the beach at Port Macdonell and been bush bashing around the Murray, and done great, considering it is only rear wheel drive!

We've travelled from Bendigo to Batemans Bay, and Bendigo to Mount Gambier for our major camps so far, and apart from using more fuel than I'd like it has done well. (Just don't take one up the highway through Merimbula if you can help it, she really didn't like those hills lol  ;D )
We've swapped from the camper to a van yay! :)

Offline mike and tracy davis

• Tent User
  • The Davis Clan
    • http://myswag.org/gallery/v/mike+and+tracy+davis/
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2014, 03:01:52 PM »
Dazzler beat me to it, IMO the mighty GU 4.8 litre petrol is an absolute horsepower monster with a few minor tweaks, can be purchased cheap as chips, although can be a bit thirsty, and is my pick if my trusty TD42 GQ ever expires.
 :cheers:Mike
Mike and Tracy Davis VKS737 mobile 3424
Nomad 96 4WD Club of WA. Only owns and drives Patrols, likes to get out there .......and make it back!

Offline cheif carlos

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2014, 11:48:28 PM »
Just in the process of considering a dual cab Iveco Daily 4x4.

Has a 1.7t payload, just need to decide what type of tray on it, seats up to 7 people, centre and twin diff locks, uses around 12-15lts to the 100, can legally fit 37 inch tyres, only need car licence unless you do a gvm upgrade to 2455kg,

Down side comes with only a 90lt fuel tank

Same price as 200 series

Otherwise I wanted unimog but swmbo won't get truck licence >:(

Jason
Need to get the backside into gear and get out camping

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
Superiority Complex with 4WD's
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2014, 11:27:49 AM »
I spotted one of these in Sydney the other day. Front and rear winches too.  I giggled like a schoolgirl with delight.

Or is that "giggled with delight like a schoolgirl"?

Is there a bloody comma in that sentence as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2014, 12:01:34 PM »

Has a 1.7t payload, just need to decide what type of tray on it, seats up to 7 people, centre and twin diff locks, uses around 12-15lts to the 100, can legally fit 37 inch tyres, only need car licence unless you do a gvm upgrade to 2455kg,

Same price as 200 series

Jason

You are making me jealous! I reckon these are the best solution. 4WD's simply don't have enough payload!

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »

Same price as 200 series

Jason

There is one down the road from my work at the moment and every time it drives past I think that maybe I should have got one. This one is blue in colour and has some nice mods to it, will try and snap a pic of it next time

GG

Offline cheif carlos

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2014, 05:17:46 PM »
Here is my inspiration,

http://www.goingbush.com/iveco.html

Also swmbo saw them at the Tocal field day earlier this month and said "I don't mind these". Monday afternoon I stopped at Iveco for more info  ;D
Sorry for the stirring

Jason
Need to get the backside into gear and get out camping

Offline Graham99

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2014, 09:40:24 AM »
Hi everybody,

I think the best 4wd is whatever the person has sitting in their driveway at the time. They purchased the vehicle based upon their needs and wants at the time. Seven years ago I purchased the GU Patrol 3L hand grenade, put the mods on it, adjusted the VNT stop screw then never looked back. With a chip and exhaust I could pull away from as low as 1200rpm without hesitation. For a long time it made me happy. My only regret was that I bought a manual, whereas I should have bought an auto.

This year we sold the GU privately to a couple who are where I was seven years ago. They are happy and are putting it to use.

Now I have the 200 series. Comparing the two vehicles is like chalk and cheese. They are different and I consider myself very lucky to be in a position to be able to afford the 200 series. I'm yet to take it off-road as I am in the first month of ownership, but I suspect it will do things a lot easier than the GU 3L Manual. Is it the best 4wd out there. I'm not qualified to say.  ;D
Graham and Kathy
2014 200 series Landcruiser, with mods.
And a tent...........

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2014, 03:30:39 PM »
Hi everybody,

I think the best 4wd is whatever the person has sitting in their driveway at the time.

Oi!  Away we thee!

There is no place for common sense here. Now git wit ya.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2014, 04:02:45 PM »
Hi everybody,

I think the best 4wd is whatever the person has sitting in their driveway at the time. They purchased the vehicle based upon their needs and wants at the time. Seven years ago I purchased the GU Patrol 3L hand grenade, put the mods on it, adjusted the VNT stop screw then never looked back. With a chip and exhaust I could pull away from as low as 1200rpm without hesitation. For a long time it made me happy. My only regret was that I bought a manual, whereas I should have bought an auto.

This year we sold the GU privately to a couple who are where I was seven years ago. They are happy and are putting it to use.

Now I have the 200 series. Comparing the two vehicles is like chalk and cheese. They are different and I consider myself very lucky to be in a position to be able to afford the 200 series. I'm yet to take it off-road as I am in the first month of ownership, but I suspect it will do things a lot easier than the GU 3L Manual. Is it the best 4wd out there. I'm not qualified to say.  ;D

My thoughts as well and very similar story

GG

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #136 on: June 04, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »
Quote from: GGV8Cruza
My thoughts as well and very similar story
says he in the middle of downgrading... :P
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jasman

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »
I'm not brand loyal so I try to pick the best vehicle (that suits my needs and budget) I can find at the time.  My selection process goes like this:

1. Read every bit of published information I can find to make a short list. Love multi vehicle comparisons written by a good journo.
2. Stalk the owners of the vehicles identified in step one at the servo etc and ask for their experience to shorten the list.  Discount the opinions of obvious fan boys.
3. Test drive
4. Buy

Steps one to four usually takes me a few months.

I'm also pretty careful not to buy a vehicle that is close to end of life because I turn them over pretty quickly, nothing worse for resale then having a two year old vehicle that is the "old shape" when you go to trade.  I know I miss out on some well sorted vehicles but I need the residual.

Offline rockinj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2015, 08:05:14 AM »
I know this is an old thread but I just stumbled upon it.

Honestly; I am too broke to be a car snob. I purchase the best that I can afford which will not be a Cruiser as they would never figure in my budget unless it is 25 years old with 500k on the clock.
In saying that - If I won the lottery tomorrow - I would purchase a four door Cruiser ute. The cruisers certainly have a reputation for reliability and they hold their value.

I think good luck to everyone and why should anyone be judged for what they can afford. It is an attitude that really gets my goat.
Trying to find the time to use our camper . . .