Author Topic: Shower pump......what do you use  (Read 2997 times)

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Shower pump......what do you use
« on: April 24, 2014, 02:52:45 PM »
When using a bucket or drum....what do you use

To date I have been using the $20-$30 that you buy from a camping store. Had another one fail last night.

I ended up rigging up my FLOJET......at 13L/min it was a quick shower, the bride did like the pressure for washing her hair.

I was in a marine shop the other week and thought the Whale 991 pump look way better quality......it's around the 6-7L l/min which is about what the camping store unit flow at.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
Re: Shower pump......what do you use
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 03:04:07 PM »
750 GPM bilge pump
This is how I did it

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30421.250

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 03:41:54 PM »
I also use a flowjet pump and yes it can use lots of water, but it does give a good shower. I have a 100L bladder I put on the roof basket for shower water. If access to water is close, then our family of 4 goes through that water in a night. If water is scarce, my shower head has the option to reduce the pressure, so it makes the water last longer.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 03:49:29 PM »

750 GPM bilge pump
This is how I did it

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30421.250

Thanks Muzz....it took me awhile to find it in you thread.......

I assume the shower head restricts the flow??.....at 750 GPH that's a pretty big flow rate. I make that around 50L/min.

I have my crew sorted to drop the shower head in to the bucket when soaping up, this allows the water to recirculate

I did see your pump in the shop, might see if they have a smaller one.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 03:53:47 PM »

I also use a flowjet pump and yes it can use lots of water, but it does give a good shower. I have a 100L bladder I put on the roof basket for shower water. If access to water is close, then our family of 4 goes through that water in a night. If water is scarce, my shower head has the option to reduce the pressure, so it makes the water last longer.

I will try restricting the water flow......I best go an fit a hose clamp

I have a 70L tank on the roof for the first time that we have been filling everyday. Sure beats filling 20L drums.

We have to drive around 8km either down or up the beach to fill the tank......most days we happen to drive past on the way home, I think today has been the first day we wee lot out and about.

What brand adder do you have....I noticed another camper with a bladder on top as well. Do they move around much.

Offline Gazza00

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 04:24:57 PM »
Another Whale pump here as well.  Had the same drama with the el cheapo unit, so turfed it for the Whale. The hose from the el cheapo fits straight onto the outlet,  and I cut the power cord off as well  and spliced it into the Whale lead. No problems since.

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 05:04:09 PM »
As for the brand unsure, but I picked it up from Bias boating for $100. At first I was a little worried seeing it’s welded rubber, but it’s now 5 years old and still going strong. My previous 4WD was a ute and one time I was being silly by not tying it down and then going over a bump way too fast. It bounced out the ute and didn’t break which shows how strong these things are.

When it’s full and on the roof I drive for the conditions as well as tying it down tight, in saying that you can tell it’s up there. 

The one I have is like this

http://www.biasboating.com.au/Flexible_Water_Tank_p/b2282.htm

Offline kiwipride

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 10:17:09 PM »
Here is my attempt: http://youtu.be/GEpWBBvgGvY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
My plan is to live forever......so far, so good!

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 06:00:07 AM »
I used the old switchgear from the worn out shower system. I replaced the 10mm hose with 19mm hose

$25 from eBay for the pump
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bilge-Pump-750-GPH-Seaflo-Salt-Water-Suitable-/151268035091?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2338470a13&_uhb=1

The shower head was either $8 or $9 from Masters

The whole thing looks like this. It has great pressure. I remove the water saving restricter from the shower rose.

bully

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 07:14:01 AM »
Hey Weeds, I have a primus hot water system that had a cheap pump that failed after a few time. I put a whale pump on it, they are not cheap but never had a problem since. ts been going for about 4 years now.

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 09:22:21 AM »
Muzza, any idea what your flow rate is?  I presume that it is a lot less than 750GPH or almost a litre per second.

Does the flow change the higher you hold the shower rose?

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 02:48:44 PM »
Muzza, any idea what your flow rate is?  I presume that it is a lot less than 750GPH or almost a litre per second.

Does the flow change the higher you hold the shower rose?
At a guess, I reckon about 1 lt per 5 seconds at 2 meters high or approx shower height. The flow rate is higher with the shower rose lower if that makes sense.