Author Topic: Dash cams. who has one and what brand.  (Read 56603 times)

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
Dash cams. who has one and what brand.
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2014, 12:15:53 PM »
We have the Navig8tor units that were purchased from Harvey Norman on sale for $100. Its the full HD version but without GPS. We also turn off the audio capability of the recorders. Here’s why.

I’m not trying to be an arse, and i apologise in advance if it comes across that i am. I have worked in law enforcement for about 20 years now, including time as a Police Officer, so I’m well versed in evidence gathering and evidence admissability, and think that members should be aware of the following. I’ve also worked closely with insurance assessors and assessment panels. If you think that having a GPS capability and audio are a good idea, may i suggest you think again.

Under the various evidence laws, if you are involved in an incident (only hypothetically!) where the footage becomes relevant in an evidentiary capacity, the memory card (and maybe the camera itself) can, and will more than likely, be seized by investigators.  If you think that an investigator or assessor will have a look at only the relevant video clip (say, for example, the three minute video clip including the incident), you’d be wrong. All the digital data on the card, including all the video and the associated metadata, will be examined.

Now, lets say that an hour prior to the incident, you overtook a car and had to creep up marginally over the speed limit to safely complete the move. You might be distracted through conversation and travel a few kilometres doing 10km/h under the posted limit. Audio may record that you were deep in conversation (or argument) at the time of the incident, or made comments about the conduct of another vehicle on the road shortly prior to the incident.

Under disclosure laws, insurance companies and defence council (lawyers) are entitled to a full copy of the evidence that is used to prove or disprove allegations in court. You may not be in the wrong, but your own conduct (even prior to the incident) could be used to mitigate the circumstances leading up to the incident. That is, the lawyers or insurance assessors now have a reason to say that you contributed to the incident. From an insurance perspective, that gives them an out and reduces the likelihood that you get a full payout.

video itself provides evidence of the location. There are landmarks nearly everywhere (except maybe, the Nullabor!) that can be used to corroborate location. Its my opinion only, but those should be taken into account when using dash cams.

Just on this if you are involved in a serious collision and the accident squad get involved they go back a full week of what you were up to.  When you went to bed, what you ate, what you did.  All the time setting the scene for what occurred. So lets say you are distracted and cause a collision and someone is seriously injured.  The footage can add to an overall picture being created that you did things that lead to you being in a position where being distracted was a possibility given the lack of sleep etc that you may have missed.

I have been a part of a couple of prosecutions where the behaviours leading up to the collision over the preceeding days was used.

I would not use one.  At least if you screw up you can lie in court if there is no footage .......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Myst

• Tent User
Dash cams. who has one and what brand.
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2014, 01:06:45 PM »
Um, that's called perjury mate, and will get you in deep deep doh!

I sure wouldn't lie, or suggest anyone else lie in court. The point I was making was think about what evidence you may be handing over when using all the features of dash cams, and at least be aware of what may happen
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:09:00 PM by Myst »

Offline kiwipride

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Dash cams. who has one and what brand.
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2014, 01:11:27 PM »
Caught this on my dash cam the other week.  Wheelchair, exit. Stage left.
http://youtu.be/oWUZX-NRmpU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
My plan is to live forever......so far, so good!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »
Caught this on my dash cam the other week.  Wheelchair, exit. Stage left.
http://youtu.be/oWUZX-NRmpU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
link is private...
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2014, 01:44:33 PM »

Um, that's called perjury mate, and will get you in deep deep doh!

50% of people lie in court. Otherwise there would be a hell of a lot of unable to determine guilt findings.

Cops don't lie right. 
Cops don't prepare statements together.
Cops don't go "psssst I grabbed him first ok" as they swap places in the court room.

Right.........   :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Myst

• Tent User
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »

50% of people lie in court. Otherwise there would be a hell of a lot of unable to determine guilt findings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested where you obtained that particular figure from?

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
Interested where you obtained that particular figure from?

Prosecution VS Defense

Not guilty hearing.

Prima Facie case exists to prosecute.

Either the prosecution is telling the truth, the defense is telling the truth or there is a misunderstanding at law.  \

Maybe its 33% then. 

;)

Offline Myst

• Tent User
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2014, 02:03:06 PM »
Lol true that mate, hasn't thought of it that way!

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2014, 02:03:49 PM »

I sure wouldn't lie, or suggest anyone else lie in court. The point I was making was think about what evidence you may be handing over when using all the features of dash cams, and at least be aware of what may happen

And I was actually agreeing with you.   :D

A dash cam would be great for the cops in a prang.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2014, 02:06:49 PM »
"Its not a lie if you believe it"  George Costanza....

LOL 

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2014, 02:49:02 PM »
I just remembered a funny story about cops and lying.

Mate Bob and I were doing traffic.  Pulled over a gentlemen of asian descent and my mate and him end up in an argument over whether he was wearing a seatbelt or not.

I didn't see it so just stood by ready to belt him over the head with my torch if needed.

The Asian fella keep saying "YOU ARE LIAR!" "YOU ARE LIAR"

Twas rather funny.

Anyways it goes to court and we give evidence, me saying I saw nothing.  Gets thrown out.

As we walk down the court steps I says "Sooooo, you are a liar then "....

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2014, 04:31:51 PM »
I just remembered a funny story about cops and lying.

Mate Bob and I were doing traffic.  Pulled over a gentlemen of asian descent and my mate and him end up in an argument over whether he was wearing a seatbelt or not.

I didn't see it so just stood by ready to belt him over the head with my torch if needed.

The Asian fella keep saying "YOU ARE LIAR!" "YOU ARE LIAR"

Twas rather funny.

Anyways it goes to court and we give evidence, me saying I saw nothing.  Gets thrown out.

As we walk down the court steps I says "Sooooo, you are a liar then "....

Thats exactly the same thing they say here. Some say " please sir don't book me, I am a professional driver" guess what occupation?
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2014, 06:58:18 PM »
Dash cams record in a loop, and mine does about 3hrs of HD.
If you are in an accident, the SD card is removable and the unit retains no data.

The data can be downloaded from the SD card and edited, retained on hard drive, and the rest deleted.

You only have to hand the evidence over you want, and edited to your requirements.
The SD card will write over itself when used, or you may accidentally lose it and need to replace it.

There will never be weeks of recording or gps data to retrieve
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline Myst

• Tent User
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2014, 08:29:39 PM »
For insurance claims, yes. For any police matter they can seize anything that the police officer suspects on reasonable grounds may afford evidence of an offence. Camera itself may also be seized, not just the card, to confirm settings and accuracy of positions and prove the integrity of the recording,

Offline kiwipride

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2014, 06:49:04 AM »
link is private...

Sorry, try this:
Small | Large
My plan is to live forever......so far, so good!

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2014, 10:10:43 AM »
Dash cams record in a loop, and mine does about 3hrs of HD.
If you are in an accident, the SD card is removable and the unit retains no data.

The data can be downloaded from the SD card and edited, retained on hard drive, and the rest deleted.

You only have to hand the evidence over you want, and edited to your requirements.
The SD card will write over itself when used, or you may accidentally lose it and need to replace it.

There will never be weeks of recording or gps data to retrieve

I agree and this is what I was saying in an earlier post.

By the time the police decided if it was worth prosecuting they would be unable to seize anything, because the card would have been over written again.

The cycling incidents I mentioned earlier, one was submitted to the police and the person got a call back saying they couldn't open the file, so he posted to YouTube and the police were directed to to it.   

The other videos that were submitted were edited videos,  they were told to keep the original file in case action was taken.
They did not have to surrender their cameras and their life leading up to the event was not put on trial.

If there is video evidence, it is up to the police to determine if it warrants further action. If it does, they will ask for the original file, they may take it to court or they may simply show the footage to the offender and give them a fine/warning.

Marschy

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »
Kogan has the dash cam on special again for $29 with free shipping. Good value at that price, notsomuch when it goes back upto $59.

Car Camera Dash Video Recorder (HD)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2014, 11:11:42 AM »
Umm like why would you actually want one i hear the main reason is to record a traffic offence that you may be involved in

If that is the case you really need to have a hard look so you are saying you now go out prepared for a traffic accident and also prepared in case someone else lies about what happend, talk about cynical

To be honest it is getting stupid it is like the lady that god doored off her push bike in Melb and then demanding the guys details on camera. I totaly agree with him i would never give my personal details on camera that may end up on U tube or Facebook. I think she would have found the guy much more accomodating if the camera was turned off
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2014, 01:20:10 PM »
Why is it cynical?

People will do anything to save themselves and they will certainly lie when it comes down to who was at fault.

It happened to me some years ago and it was only because it would have been impossible for me to be in the wrong that I got out of it.

It is well known that eye whiteness accounts can vary greatly and most are not the truth.

I will continue to use one, at least they record what actually took place, rater than relying on someone to tell the truth.

Offline GeckoJK

• Tent User
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2014, 01:23:29 PM »
Anyone wishing to purchase the Blackvue? I sell them as i deal direct with supplier. Offers of interest for the 380, 500 and 550 which i have in stock for immediate delivery.
Deon - 2014 ModCon EcoMate Forward Fold with all the gear! Tugged by a 2012 Gecko JK Shorty with tons of mods! Youtube Channel - www.youtube.com/smadanoed

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2014, 01:46:25 PM »
Anyone wishing to purchase the Blackvue? I sell them as i deal direct with supplier. Offers of interest for the 380, 500 and 550 which i have in stock for immediate delivery.

Sounds good, you are more than welcome to put up a post in the Showroom section so that it is not lost here in the middle of a thread

GG

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »
Why is it cynical?

People will do anything to save themselves and they will certainly lie when it comes down to who was at fault.

It happened to me some years ago and it was only because it would have been impossible for me to be in the wrong that I got out of it.

It is well known that eye whiteness accounts can vary greatly and most are not the truth.

I will continue to use one, at least they record what actually took place, rater than relying on someone to tell the truth.

It is cynical that we now go driving with the expectation we expect people to lie. I dont really have a problem with them what i have a problem with is instead of using it as a tool in an incident investigation as that is all it is there is a growing majority that would rather stick it on the internet and let public opinion decide who is at fault

I Drink & I Know Things

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2014, 02:20:29 PM »
Ahh ok, yep it seems to be the norm these days, stick everything on facebook or youtube. I don't mind some of the funny clips, but there are some that really make you wonder.

Offline RobM

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2014, 02:22:54 PM »
Just wondering who has a dash camera and what type/ brand has the best features as I'm looking to purchase one soon.
Thanks

LOL - OP you might have to start another thread if you want to get back on topic

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown