Author Topic: Dash cams. who has one and what brand.  (Read 56601 times)

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Dash cams. who has one and what brand.
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 10:14:26 AM »
The manual can be downloaded from Kogan web site.  I certainly needed it to understand the sequence in setup.

Trevor
Mazda BT-50 GT, Olympic Marathon 19.6 van

Offline nahp

• Learning the Ropes
    • xpros.net
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 02:09:15 AM »
Following my accident, and just the sheer stupid stupid driving I see on a daily basis on the motorway I'm starting to think it might be an idea.

My insurance will come down a lot if I have a black box fitted to my car, but I fundamentally disagree with having that done as they also have GPS tracking.

But I'm thinking a basic camera might just be good backup incase I have another accident..... They seem to be taking off in russia at the moment (due to police corruption more than anything I can tell).

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 06:55:41 AM »
Postie just knocked on the door, my Kogan dash cam has arrived.

I've put a 50 cent piece next to it to give people an idea of how small they are. Good thing is the battery, it's a bog standard Nokia BL-5C phone battery that are easy to get a hold of. The one in the camera is 1020mAh. If you need more battery capacity, just buy a higher capacity one from ebay. Here is a 2450mAh version for $5.99.

2450mAh BL-5C

Edit: Doesn't come with SD card, have to purchase that separately.

Hi marschy

Looks like a copy of my DVR207.
Let me know how it goes. Cheers

Wayne
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Marschy

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 06:59:20 AM »
Will do, I've been slack, I just need to get a microSD card and put it in the car and see how it goes

Offline MarkGU

• TOYOTA RECOVERY UNIT
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Some people have dreams, i have plans.
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 07:13:17 AM »
Bought the Navig8R a few weeks ago. very happy with picture quality and the colours are vivid.we chose the Navig8r sports cam 1080.Price was $140( back when Harvey Norman had the special going) with 3 different types of mounts, waterproof case,charger and its remote control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wegJ8FMsxnY

99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline pauljygrant

• Tent User
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 08:26:50 AM »
RVM-043DVR Premium DVR OEM Style 4.3’’ Rearview Mirror Monitor
I purchased this combo unit from repco since I also wanted a reversing camera.
Didn't want separate devices that clutter up the windscreen.
So far, whilst I have had issues with it resetting to the factory defaults when it don't want it to, it otherwise does what I expected.
Instructions are almost the same quality as you get from most chinese direct imports so have to work out the features as you go along.
Picture quality is great during the day but doesn't have night time capability.
Would I recommend it? No. No customer service - in fact they refuse to help instead insisting that you refer all communication via the retailer. Quality is somewhere between good branded units and cheap chinese units but the cost is greater than the quality.
Once they improve the quality, will be a great unit.
Paul
2011 Jayco Swan; (about to be upgraded to 2015 Jayco Basestation); 2013 Nissan Navara 2.5 ST Auto

Marschy

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 08:57:45 AM »
I gave the Kogan dash cam a run this morning on the way to work using an old 4Gb SD card I had lying around. The resolution was set to 5Mp, but can go as high as 12Mp.

The picture is pretty grainy at that resolution, so I am going to duck out at lunch time and grab a 32Gb class 10 SD card and set the resolution to 12Mp and see how that goes on the way home.

The half hour trip into work this morning consumed 1.33Gb of the 4Gb card, so should be good for about an hour 15 minutes to an hour and a half at 5Mp. It starts recording when you take off from traffic lights and stops when there is little movement detected, which is really handy.

The actual camera itself seems a bit flimsy insomuch that the flip down video screen seems a bit loose or wobbly, but over than that, for the price I paid good value (now $59 on Kogan, so maybe the value isn't there anymore). I haven't worked out all of the functions yet, or how to set the time/date stamp to the current date and time. But I've worked out how to setup some of the basic video resolution settings. I'll have a bit of a read of the manual today.

I post up some video once I get home and get it loaded into youtube. I think the 5Mp video will deteriorate pretty badly once it is loaded onto youtube though.

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 09:13:05 AM »

My insurance will come down a lot if I have a black box fitted to my car, but I fundamentally disagree with having that done as they also have GPS tracking.

But I'm thinking a basic camera might just be good backup in case I have another accident.....

Am I reading your post right, you don't like the idea of having a camera that has GPS tracking?

Having a camera that has GPS tracking is the way to go. It not only provides you with a video of the event, it also proves exactly where you were, what direction you were travelling and at what speed.
This is something that would be critical in an accident investigation, it will quickly prove if you were or were not in the wrong.

A camera should be able to record in 1080P or 720P, It should also be able to record audio. This may come in handy after the accident, when people usually start talking about whose fault it was and if there are any injuries.

Someone may say at the time that they were in the wrong and do not have any injuries, but then change their mind and say that you wee to blame, they may also decide to try and sue you for compensation.

As far as reducing insurance premiums, I am not aware of any companies that will reduce the premiums because you have a dash cam installed.

I think they should, because it saves them a hell of a lot of time and money. But when I inquired, I was told no, by several different insurance companies.

Offline MarkGU

• TOYOTA RECOVERY UNIT
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Some people have dreams, i have plans.
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2014, 09:33:09 PM »
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2014, 12:01:35 AM »
edit - sorry, these are screengrabs of what you see using the ipass dash cam. will post up still shots...
 I run it at 1080 - honestly, any less and you really cannot make out number plates and the quality is fuzzy.
the light image is with night mode activated, and the other is day mode (filters out the sunlight).
it lets you take still images at any point in both modes - perfect for capturing plates in any light - even night.

I have had to use images and video from this camera to give to police (reckless driving I witnessed), and honestly I needed to take multiple shots to make out the plate number.
I cant imagine how the cheaper units will possibly give you any quality of image when you really need it. not trying to be a smartarse - I just know that when I really needed it as evidence, without the quality of the unit I would have had the car image but no way to identify them for the cops.
this sells for mid 2's I believe now - well worth it, especially when you have to rely on it when the poo hits the fan...

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:03:54 AM by Mik01 »
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2014, 12:16:01 AM »
day and night modes
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Marschy

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 01:35:32 AM »
You're right the cheap units (mine is a Kogan) do not have the resolution to read license plates.

Marschy

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 06:12:47 AM »
I thought about the resolution issue some more this morning.

For your average punter who isn't in law enforcement and is possibly going to use a dashcam for capturing who is the right or wrong as the consequence of a collision, when you are t-boned, rear ended or even in a front on collision, your chances of getting a good picture of the other vehicles number plate would be pretty slim.

My role on the road is not law enforcement so the resolution isn't as much an issue. But better resolution would be nice, but at $29 the Kogan camera is what it is.

Edit: I loaded the video off the SD card onto my PC this morning, even in HD mode the quality is garbage. You can't read the number plate of a car only 10 metres in front of your vehicle.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:34:27 AM by Marschy »

Offline B&B

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2014, 08:49:26 AM »
Uniden iGO CAM 320.
Picked it up as part of a deal at Wandin with my Uniden UH7760NB 80 Channel CB & aerial for $310.  Price included 8GB micro SD card.
Has night vision & mic.  Haven't really had much of a play with it yet.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »
Mik01

That's the same one I use, very good camera and software.

I thought about the resolution issue some more this morning.

For your average punter who isn't in law enforcement and is possibly going to use a dashcam for capturing who is the right or wrong as the consequence of a collision, when you are t-boned, rear ended or even in a front on collision, your chances of getting a good picture of the other vehicles number plate would be pretty slim.

My role on the road is not law enforcement so the resolution isn't as much an issue. But better resolution would be nice, but at $29 the Kogan camera is what it is.

Edit: I loaded the video off the SD card onto my PC this morning, even in HD mode the quality is garbage. You can't read the number plate of a car only 10 metres in front of your vehicle.

That there is the biggest problem in society today, nobody wants to get involved. are quite happy to allow others to disregard the laws and put other in danger.

Why should you turn a blind eye to someone who is breaking the law? If you are able to help the authorities catch these idiots then you should. If you can catch the number plate and had in the video to police it's up to them to decide.

With these types of cameras, it's like anything else in life, you get what you pay for.
If you are someone who wants good quality footage, then buy a good quality camera.
While some of the cheap cameras may record in 1080 P, they may start to stop working when subjected to high temps in the car.

So if you prefer to buy of these cameras, just check the max temps it can handle.

Marschy

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »
That there is the biggest problem in society today, nobody wants to get involved. are quite happy to allow others to disregard the laws and put other in danger.

Why should you turn a blind eye to someone who is breaking the law? If you are able to help the authorities catch these idiots then you should. If you can catch the number plate and had in the video to police it's up to them to decide.
It was never my intention of putting a dash cam in my car to catch baddies on the road. If you want to be a vigilante, cudo's to you. I simply stated, I am not in the game of law enforcement, and it was never my intention of putting a camera in my car with that intent.

If you have handed in video to the police, good on you. What was your experience of the whole process? Did you have to make an appearance in court? Did it consume much of your time?

But if you are suggesting it my civic duty to get the best resolution camera so I can assist catching baddies on the road, you are mistaken.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:17:06 PM by Marschy »

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like an A hole, my apologies.

I too bought my camera only as a safe guard in case of and accident. But I would not having any qualms about reporting the idiots that endanger others. Will I be wasting my time, maybe, but at least I have done what I can.

I'm not saying report every person you see for stupid minor things or simple mistkes. I was talking about incidents that you see that are just way out there and endanger other road users and the public in general.

What you consider to be way out there, may differ from what I or anyone else think, so each to their own. But I am only talking about those incidents you would feel are absolutely stupid and deliberate and that would directly endanger others.

At the end of the day, it will be up to the police to determine what course of action if any would be taken. They may decide a good talking too is all that is needed and they may contact the offender, show them them the video and give them a warning.

If they decide it warrants going to court. it means they feel they have a very good chance of conviction. I would assume you may be called as a wittiness, because of the video, the offender may not contest it and you may not be required to attend.

I don't think it's about being a vigilante, who knows, you may inadvertently save someone from serious injury or death.

All to often we hear about things happening that may have turned out differently had others stepped in to help. People these days just don't want to get involved and are happy to turn a blind eye, even if it means someone may end up seriously injured. 

Marschy

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »
No problem. I wouldn't hesitate to hand in video if I happened to record an accident as I would see that as being no different to stopping at an accident to render assistance which is a civic duty

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2014, 03:11:49 PM »
Problem handing it to police is that we are usually much too busy doing other stuff. Plus the fact is if you don't have a clear view of his face, you don't have the most important piece of evidence, and that is identity. They just say my mate was driving and it goes in a big circle. Some are dumb enough to admit that it was them but alot don't. However don't be discouraged and hand it in and see how you go. Cheers

Wayne
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2014, 04:13:10 PM »
Let's get back on topic, apologies to the OP.

One other thing to look at when buying a camera is the night footage, this may or may not be important o you, but if it is, look for something that can record well in low light.

Being able to save footage is another thing you would want, some allow this, while others will record in loops. Meaning that it will record for X amount of time, say 2 mins and then as the memory card fills up, it will automatically record over the oldest file.

Some cameras have a built in screen that allow you to change settings on the fly, while others require you to change various settings inside their accompanying software.

So at the end of the day, a good quality camera will be something that....

Can handle the heat generated inside the windscreen and not melt or stop working.
Can record in 1980P
Can record view able night footage.
Can accept large capacity class 10 memory cards.
has GPS tracking and can record speed and direction, which can be overlaid in Google Maps or similar.
Has good accompanying software that allows you to change various settings.
can be easily updated when required.
Can record audio.

If you are able to buy one of the cheaper units and it has most of the above, go for it :)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2014, 10:07:10 AM »
Well, I just bought one.... I have been looking for long enough! I have read enough reviews, and most people seem fairly happy with these units.

I ended up with a Blackvue wifi dr500gw HD from Dashcams Australia.

http://dashcamsaustralia.com.au/shop/full-hd-2/blackvue-wi-fi-dr500gw-hd-1/

$324.95 delivered. I will probably buy another 32GB card.

I bet it arrives the day after I go on holidays!

How is your camera going after a few months of use?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
Camper - Customline

Offline Myst

• Tent User
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2014, 10:56:07 AM »
We have the Navig8tor units that were purchased from Harvey Norman on sale for $100. Its the full HD version but without GPS. We also turn off the audio capability of the recorders. Here’s why.

I’m not trying to be an arse, and i apologise in advance if it comes across that i am. I have worked in law enforcement for about 20 years now, including time as a Police Officer, so I’m well versed in evidence gathering and evidence admissability, and think that members should be aware of the following. I’ve also worked closely with insurance assessors and assessment panels. If you think that having a GPS capability and audio are a good idea, may i suggest you think again.

Under the various evidence laws, if you are involved in an incident (only hypothetically!) where the footage becomes relevant in an evidentiary capacity, the memory card (and maybe the camera itself) can, and will more than likely, be seized by investigators.  If you think that an investigator or assessor will have a look at only the relevant video clip (say, for example, the three minute video clip including the incident), you’d be wrong. All the digital data on the card, including all the video and the associated metadata, will be examined.

Now, lets say that an hour prior to the incident, you overtook a car and had to creep up marginally over the speed limit to safely complete the move. You might be distracted through conversation and travel a few kilometres doing 10km/h under the posted limit. Audio may record that you were deep in conversation (or argument) at the time of the incident, or made comments about the conduct of another vehicle on the road shortly prior to the incident.

Under disclosure laws, insurance companies and defence council (lawyers) are entitled to a full copy of the evidence that is used to prove or disprove allegations in court. You may not be in the wrong, but your own conduct (even prior to the incident) could be used to mitigate the circumstances leading up to the incident. That is, the lawyers or insurance assessors now have a reason to say that you contributed to the incident. From an insurance perspective, that gives them an out and reduces the likelihood that you get a full payout.

video itself provides evidence of the location. There are landmarks nearly everywhere (except maybe, the Nullabor!) that can be used to corroborate location. Its my opinion only, but those should be taken into account when using dash cams.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2014, 11:04:44 AM »
I use the same (case at least) as Marschy. From china, lots look the same and have slightly different specs. Another guy at work bought the same as mine, same ebay seller a few weeks later.  His was different. He could zoom video and had a different mount.  Some others also have different cameras.

The MP rating relates to still photos not video.
There were 3 record qualities which are all basically the same none of which we're close to HD, or even SD.  Al 3 take about the same memory.  Biggest problem is the compression they use is not great, 5 minutes is about 200mb.
Infrared is useless at night, as headlights and tail lights fill the screen.  It might work with no other traffic around.  I turned that function off.  Most of the other guys have done that with there's as well.
Quality is okay.  It shows who did what, but doesn't read regos etc

I've had mine a couple of years.  Cig plug fell apart after a while, so I spliced into an old GPS plug.  Some time later the plug into the camera died.  So spliced in another.  I finally ripped the socket in the camera and so I opened it and some ham fisted soldering hard wired some power into it, except it won't keep the date anymore.  Will be looking at a new one shortly. 
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Trailers, trailers, trailers, trailers..
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »
for entertainment purposes if you are on FB then search for dash cams australia and join their page.

they post a few videos of dash cams every day of people doing stupid things or being involved in accidents.

I see your point of not having the gps on and also sound, good points.

I was always worried about that too when I was travelling around aust I track recorded everywhere that I went. The GPS recorded top speed, luckily up in darwin I left it on during a lightning storm and it recorded a top speed of 1100 kms per hour. and across the gulf over the sea. so I was saved..

But nowadays if I record track data I try to only turn it on when I am up the bush, just incase of excess speed.

Peter,
sent by telegram stop
1993 80 series landcruiser

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2014, 11:50:16 AM »
We have the Navig8tor units that were purchased from Harvey Norman on sale for $100. Its the full HD version but without GPS. We also turn off the audio capability of the recorders. Here’s why.

I’m not trying to be an arse, and i apologise in advance if it comes across that i am. I have worked in law enforcement for about 20 years now, including time as a Police Officer, so I’m well versed in evidence gathering and evidence admissability, and think that members should be aware of the following. I’ve also worked closely with insurance assessors and assessment panels. If you think that having a GPS capability and audio are a good idea, may i suggest you think again.

Under the various evidence laws, if you are involved in an incident (only hypothetically!) where the footage becomes relevant in an evidentiary capacity, the memory card (and maybe the camera itself) can, and will more than likely, be seized by investigators.  If you think that an investigator or assessor will have a look at only the relevant video clip (say, for example, the three minute video clip including the incident), you’d be wrong. All the digital data on the card, including all the video and the associated metadata, will be examined.

Now, lets say that an hour prior to the incident, you overtook a car and had to creep up marginally over the speed limit to safely complete the move. You might be distracted through conversation and travel a few kilometres doing 10km/h under the posted limit. Audio may record that you were deep in conversation (or argument) at the time of the incident, or made comments about the conduct of another vehicle on the road shortly prior to the incident.

Under disclosure laws, insurance companies and defence council (lawyers) are entitled to a full copy of the evidence that is used to prove or disprove allegations in court. You may not be in the wrong, but your own conduct (even prior to the incident) could be used to mitigate the circumstances leading up to the incident. That is, the lawyers or insurance assessors now have a reason to say that you contributed to the incident. From an insurance perspective, that gives them an out and reduces the likelihood that you get a full payout.

video itself provides evidence of the location. There are landmarks nearly everywhere (except maybe, the Nullabor!) that can be used to corroborate location. Its my opinion only, but those should be taken into account when using dash cams.

The reason I bought my first camera was when I was cycling, these cameras are basically the same as the car ones. There have been many times when the footage from various cyclists has been submitted to police and a couple of times it was used to prosecute people. It is only ever the video in question that is needed, not the complete memory card.

Most car cameras will record in loops, the oldest video will deleted and a new clip recorded, normally every 10 - 15 mins. This would mean that by the time the police decided it was worth prosecuting and the case came to court the memory card would have been over written a few times.

I seriously doubt they would be looking at something that was extremely minor and NOT related to the incident.