Author Topic: Dash cams. who has one and what brand.  (Read 58974 times)

Offline nick 08

• Soft Floor Camper User
Dash cams. who has one and what brand.
« on: December 17, 2013, 09:20:22 AM »
Just wondering who has a dash camera and what type/ brand has the best features as I'm looking to purchase one soon.
Thanks
08 Triton GLX R with all the gear
Trackabout Deluxe tourer camper

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Dash cams. who has one and what brand.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 10:24:01 AM »
I have a blackvue DR500gw - hd (and some cheap junk beforehand).

Go for the most expensive one you can afford, and also have a good look at the recording time. Some of the cheaper ones offer a nonstop recording however it is done in 5 to 15 min blocks and the card can't cope so it stops.
the blackvue records 1 min at a time, you can join the short vids into a long one. It also has a GPS function  (which is cool when loaded on the pc using google earth to see where you've been - or the kids if they borrow ya car) and a proper parking mode which records an impact whilst parked. Also has an app for ya mobile/tablet.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Baz

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
I think doc evil and I went down the same path.

After trying some cheaper brands, which stopped, did not loop and over write etc, I decided to bite the bulllet and purchase a decent expensive system.

I now use a ITB-500HD - iPass BLACK 2 Channel HD Car Black Box with Power Prevention Console.

Records front and back in HD with a GPS chip so you can see your car position on google earth/maps as the video is playing.
You have to down load the card (32GB about 30 hours recording(dependson settings though)).

Still have not managed to get this to download directly to the Carputer yet though.

Baz

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 03:02:23 PM »
I am trying to decide between the Blackvue DR500GW and the D-TEG Smarty BX1500...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
Camper - Customline

Offline Pog

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Insert personal text here...
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 06:27:15 PM »
I have been looking at a Navman MiVue388

http://www.navman.com.au/digital-drive-recorder/MiVue-Series/MiVue388/Overview/

$229 delivered....
2013 Toyota Prado Altitude & Challenge Outback Deluxe Offroad Camper Trailer.
MY PRADO BUILD

Offline Pog

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Insert personal text here...
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 06:59:07 PM »
Well, I just bought one.... I have been looking for long enough! I have read enough reviews, and most people seem fairly happy with these units.

I ended up with a Blackvue wifi dr500gw HD from Dashcams Australia.

http://dashcamsaustralia.com.au/shop/full-hd-2/blackvue-wi-fi-dr500gw-hd-1/

$324.95 delivered. I will probably buy another 32GB card.

I bet it arrives the day after I go on holidays!
2013 Toyota Prado Altitude & Challenge Outback Deluxe Offroad Camper Trailer.
MY PRADO BUILD

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 09:05:45 PM »
I think doc evil and I went down the same path.

After trying some cheaper brands, which stopped, did not loop and over write etc, I decided to bite the bulllet and purchase a decent expensive system.

I now use a ITB-500HD - iPass BLACK 2 Channel HD Car Black Box with Power Prevention Console.

Records front and back in HD with a GPS chip so you can see your car position on google earth/maps as the video is playing.
You have to down load the card (32GB about 30 hours recording(dependson settings though)).

Still have not managed to get this to download directly to the Carputer yet though.

Baz

I paid about $180 delivered from Korea last year. It works a treat. Records in HD with date and timestamp, GPS co-ordinates and speed, night vision and more features like still picture capture

Software can be tricky first time to download but plenty of forum help out there if you get stuck. It's never missed a beat.
I have used it to report one idiot driver to the cops who was driving dangerously and aggressively running red lights and speeding. Captured clear as a bell. The cop was so impressed he said he would buy one for his personal car!
But I bought it to record off road fun mostly.
Got it off flea bay. Don't be fooled into thinking you should be paying more than 300 to get better quality
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 12:14:20 AM »
I bot a DVR 207, its okay but junky. Mate has a myionu and works a treat.
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Dion

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 11:31:16 PM »

I paid about $180 delivered from Korea last year. It works a treat. Records in HD with date and timestamp, GPS co-ordinates and speed, night vision and more features like still picture capture

Software can be tricky first time to download but plenty of forum help out there if you get stuck. It's never missed a beat.
I have used it to report one idiot driver to the cops who was driving dangerously and aggressively running red lights and speeding. Captured clear as a bell. The cop was so impressed he said he would buy one for his personal car!
Got it off flea bay. Don't be fooled into thinking you should be paying more than 300 to get better quality

Another vote for the iTronics units.  I have them in both our cars, they just work.  I have two of the ITB-100HD units.  Direct from Korea as well - the local reseller is really ripping people off with their pricing.
2010 NT Pajero Platinum DiD Auto
2009 Lifestyle Extenda

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 06:13:01 PM »
Another vote for the iTronics units.  I have them in both our cars, they just work.  I have two of the ITB-100HD units.  Direct from Korea as well - the local reseller is really ripping people off with their pricing.

yeah its great. i should point out i was referring to the 100hd unit, not the 500hd which i undoubtedbly more expensive than my version.
but all those features delivered at that price, and the quality is awesome

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »

What was the website?
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline JBird

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 07:31:24 AM »
Just for your info guys, there's another myswag dash-cam topic here that will answer a lot of questions.

My reply to that post for your info:

Do yourself a favour Jeeps and look at purchasing your camera through Ebay from South Korea like these: same thing, a lot cheaper.

I purchased the Itronics ITB100-HD (similar to the DR400G but with more features) this way and all up, with a 32GB SD card instead of a 16GB it came in at just over $200 compared to the $350 or so asking price in Aus; by far one of the best investments I've ever made.

Compare them here.

A good website for anyone looking at getting a dashcam with some really good info can be found at http://dashcamtalk.com/ ;)

Jason

Jason

'One PJ Ranger Supercab & goodies with modified AOR Odyssey XR in tow'

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 09:25:55 AM »
Hi
I like the idea of the dashcam but would like one that has a "Dump Button" that sends a pre-set number of minutes onto a separate SD card.
The number of times touring when after cresting a hill or rounding a bend you see a sight you want recorded, you could hit a button and the previous 5 minutes (for example) would be permanently recorded. The remainder could stay on the standard card to be recorded over or activated with the G sensor in the case of accidents.
This dump button card wouldn't need to be removed until after the trip and all the "good bits" are in one simple recording for viewing, adding to blogs or whatever. Slowly going through a number of SD cards watching hour after hour of boring stuff would be alleviated.
Doe anyone know if any of the cameras have this sort of feature?
Cheers
Ian

Offline JBird

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 04:26:48 PM »
Can't say that I've ever heard of any dash cams, or cams in general for that matter with those capabilities Ian but good luck with your search.

'One PJ Ranger Supercab & goodies with modified AOR Odyssey XR in tow'

Offline Piggy

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 05:51:28 PM »
There is no cameras on the market currently that have that feature.
However you simply need to remember the date and you can go straight to the footage afterwards.
A number of dash and have a manual activation button that post/ per event records.

However most are between 5-40 seconds per/ post event. As that is all that is needed in an accident situation.

You may be better with a camera that allows looping and tagging. Drift/ go pro/ pov all do this.

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 07:56:46 AM »
What was the website?

It appears that the business wasnt an authorised distributor into Aus, and itronics cracked down on it. so now we pay $100 more locally if we want it.
its still a great unit at that price

Marschy

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 03:38:20 AM »
Kogan have a boxing day special on today. This camera is only $29 with free shipping store wide.

Car Camera Dash Video Recorder (HD)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
Camper - Customline

Offline Chesapeake

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 07:57:05 PM »
Kogan have a boxing day special on today. This camera is only $29 with free shipping store wide.

I bought one the same as this on Ebay,$24.00 delivered.Can record in 2,5 or 15 minute loops I think.Had it for over 6 months and works well . The picture quality seems ok though I have nothing else to compare it against. In vehicle voice recording is interesting to listen to sometimes. Never realised I swore so much at other road users

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »

Car Camera Dash Video Recorder (HD)

Just ordered one. Figured for $29 it's worth a shot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marschy

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 08:25:22 PM »
Waiting for mine as well, got an email on Tuesday saying it had been shipped

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 09:03:08 PM »
I bought a Kogan one and received it last Thursday, seems ok with plenty of different options but am having trouble with the charging.  Had it on charge for 48 hours straight and still wasnt charged and only lasts a short while without being plugged in.  I will try charging and discharging a few times to see if I can bring the battery up, if not I will contact them and see what they can do.

I bought a 32Gb card with it and seems to work ok under constant power, just need to sort out the battery issue

Trevor
Mazda BT-50 GT, Olympic Marathon 19.6 van

Offline Buster3931

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 07:20:20 AM »
Hi
Regarding battery life,the catch of the day unit suggests that it only has a battery life of 30 minutes.

They suggest leaving plugged in permanently .its written at the bottom of the page. I would guess that the Kogan unit would be similar. 

Buster

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 07:25:12 AM »
Hi
Regarding battery life,the catch of the day unit suggests that it only has a battery life of 30 minutes.

They suggest leaving plugged in permanently .its written at the bottom of the page. I would guess that the Kogan unit would be similar. 

Buster
That may be right for this unit also, I got 35 minutes of recording out of it last night before it switched off so I guess the trick is to leave it permanently plugged in

Trevor
Mazda BT-50 GT, Olympic Marathon 19.6 van

Marschy

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 08:45:29 AM »
Postie just knocked on the door, my Kogan dash cam has arrived.

I've put a 50 cent piece next to it to give people an idea of how small they are. Good thing is the battery, it's a bog standard Nokia BL-5C phone battery that are easy to get a hold of. The one in the camera is 1020mAh. If you need more battery capacity, just buy a higher capacity one from ebay. Here is a 2450mAh version for $5.99.

2450mAh BL-5C

Edit: Doesn't come with SD card, have to purchase that separately.