Author Topic: Only in QLD  (Read 19933 times)

Offline Chris J

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My OKA - 166
Re: Only in QLD
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »
I think I’ll leave now!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder - My work is done here.

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2013, 08:22:15 AM »
To those who say "go to work an hour earlier" that is impossible for a large number of people due to their workplaces having standard hours, not to mention issues with school hours, public transport timetables and shops or other support services having set opening times.

Even without daylight saving Qld has a lot less evening sunlight in summer than the southern states. 

Everywhere on earth has the same total hours of sunlight across a year (avg 12 hrs per day).

I think Qld could be moved forward 1 hour for the entire year.  It would mean slightly late sunrises in winter, especially in the north/west, but nothing ridiculous.

It'll keep coming up for debate every year.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »
I start work at 5am, and finish at 1pm. allready plenty of sunshine left when I get home each day. I dont want all you other bastards out and about any earlier, otherwise I might miss out on the best camping spots  ;D
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »
To those who say "go to work an hour earlier" that is impossible for a large number of people due to their workplaces having standard hours, not to mention issues with school hours, public transport timetables and shops or other support services having set opening times.

Even without daylight saving Qld has a lot less evening sunlight in summer than the southern states. 

Everywhere on earth has the same total hours of sunlight across a year (avg 12 hrs per day).

I think Qld could be moved forward 1 hour for the entire year.  It would mean slightly late sunrises in winter, especially in the north/west, but nothing ridiculous.

It'll keep coming up for debate every year.
From what I have read hear and from speaking to a number of current / ex-pat Qldrs, it seems that the levels of opposition are greater in western and northern Queensland.  At the same time, it is the south east corner, especially those ares closest to NSW, with the higher levels of support, as well as being closest to / having greatest interaction with NSW.

ON that basis the 'Broken Hill solution' would seem a logical thing to trial - DLS, say from Toowomba to the coast and from the Sunshine Coast south.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2013, 09:21:20 AM »
A lot easier for the Tweed north to the border not to adopt daylight saving.

Offline RobM

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2013, 09:25:37 AM »
Bring on the State of North Queensland.
Down south can have daylight saving and we'll keep the money   :cup:

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »

X 2.
So long as Cairns is the capital Rob :D

Offline RobM

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2013, 09:51:29 AM »
X 2.
So long as Cairns is the capital Rob :D
LOL let's not go there

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2013, 10:05:52 AM »

Day light saving is simple, if you want it just go to work an hour earlier.

Here here so right  , if you want day light saving  start earlier simple, I've come to work 45 minutes early today so I can knock off 45 minutes earlier, that's my choice ..why should I have to  force my choice on others ... Leave the clocks alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »
I've come to work 45 minutes early today so I can knock off 45 minutes earlier, that's my choice ..why should I have to  force my choice on others ... Leave the clocks alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I'll try that next time I go to work.  It'll make an easy day for the Cabin Crew because we'll take off before any of the passengers have checked in.  I'm sure they'll understand that their flight departed early for the convenience of the pilot, and so sorry, no more flights until tomorrow!

Then I'll go look for another job.   :angel:

Now being more sensible, I have not yet heard a rational reason for not having daylight saving.  Curtains don't fade, there is no more daylight, and the temperature change from one hour to the next is greatest in the mornings, not mid afternoon when schools get out.  Poor little kiddies, never dun us no harm when I wuz yung.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2013, 12:45:14 PM »

This is like state of origin  ;

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2013, 12:48:30 PM »
Now being more sensible, I have not yet heard a rational reason for not having daylight saving.  Curtains don't fade, there is no more daylight, and the temperature change from one hour to the next is greatest in the mornings, not mid afternoon when schools get out.  Poor little kiddies, never dun us no harm when I wuz yung.

The only rational reason that is needed is that at the present some of us are up already before 5:00am and your body clock gets used to it and by moving the clocks forward then in reality it is 4:00am which for a fair period of time usually results in not getting the same amount of sleep which in turn can lead to health issues or potentially falling asleep earlier anyway loosing any advantage. Once you get used to it then it is basically time to change back again creating the same issues in reverse.

The only argument that I have heard for it is that it is done in other states so must be good. ??? We are essentially creatures of habit and routine and I haven't heard any decent reason why we should change. Someone also said that it appears to be most strongly around Nth and West Qld. Don't kid yourselves that just because people don't comment on a forum doesn't mean that we agree with you. I would hazard a guess that it is the people who get up early that are against it moreso than the 8:00 - 9:00am starters :D

Rod

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »
The "Broken Hill Solution" would just move the problem from the Qld-NSW border north. You're always going to have some poor buggers affected.
To all the naysayers about Qld, the closer to the equator, the less change in daylight hours over the year, so you time poor southerners with your fanciful notions of DST benefits can have it but why Tassie has it has got me stuffed......sunset at 8:00 o'clock & twilight for hours more!!
Forget it!
Steffo The Grumpy
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 01:07:07 PM by Steffo1 »
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Clouty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2013, 01:35:30 PM »
This is like state of origin  ;

Mark
And we all know what happened with that score.. Don't we :'( ;D

Offline RobM

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2013, 02:20:17 PM »
Curtains don't fade, there is no more daylight, and the temperature change from one hour to the next is greatest in the mornings, not mid afternoon when schools get out

This maybe true, but it doesn't change the fact that it is one more hour it takes for the house to cool down to a bearable temperature after coming home from work ( not every one has the luxury of a fully air-conditioned home).

And I'm not too sure about the curtains fading as they would be closed a lot more  8)
It probably doesn't worry me as much as when we first tried it ( early 70's  I think ?? ). I seem to remember studying after dinner with full sunlight streaming in the window.
And it probably won't worry me in a year or two when I don't have to go to work, I'll do things to my time and not the clock.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2013, 02:39:19 PM »

I will give a rational reason,

Why try to fix something that isn't broken.
The locals don't want it. It is the southerners who move up here that want it. If they miss NSW that much they can move back there. Just because NSW have it doesn't mean it would suite us.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »

You call that being sensible?

There has been plenty of rational reasons given in this thread already if you take your blinkers off.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2013, 04:16:36 PM »
Hey Guys and Gals, i have just come up with a solution to this problem. For those that want daylight saving because it gives them an extra hours playtime at the end of the day, just knock off work an hour earlier and you've got it.
For everyone else, "as you were"

That's OK, No need to thank me.. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »
I think I’ll leave now!

;D

Don't know why I even came back to check this thread out, hey, it works for us down south, it don't work above the Tropic of Capricorn.  FFS, who gives a shirt!  8)

:cheers:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:57:48 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2013, 05:04:08 PM »
Jesus just be honest the only reason that daylight saving is not in WA is cause it would kill ARB in the summer cause they have to stay open till 1 on a Saturday
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2013, 05:07:06 PM »
Jesus just be honest the only reason that daylight saving is not in WA is cause it would kill ARB in the summer cause they have to stay open till 1 on a Saturday

Most informative answer here!
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline markpeh

• Swag User
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2013, 05:15:43 PM »
Hhmmmm, having a go at us Qlders.... Have a look at this....

That's gold!!!

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2013, 06:42:51 PM »
Who said old Joe B was dead  >:D
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2013, 06:51:18 PM »
For me I would rather have the hour in the morning.
Less wind better surf.
Less wind better fishing
Less wind better swimming with the kids

Its good to get down the beach early especially on a work day...........swim breakfast and go...the day feels much better for it.

I know these are personal reasons but they are mine and a big part of my families life.

If you are to lazy or whatever to do something before work it's your problem, not Queensland's.............maybe the cockroaches could do some extra training session and try and win an origin series

Who gives a f^ck about work and business really........................

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2013, 06:52:47 PM »

X3

I'm not sure which is a more interesting forum, this one or the one on whirlpool about the nbn.

If anybody  needs some plans to a bridge, pm me & i'll forward on

:cheers:
Moggy
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence