Author Topic: Only in QLD  (Read 19928 times)

Offline bushrat

• Tent User
  • TRV 2
Only in QLD
« on: October 30, 2013, 03:53:55 PM »
 :o
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Only in QLD
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 03:58:40 PM »
They're northerners, what else would you expect....  ;D
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Chris J

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My OKA - 166
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 04:31:26 PM »
Day light saving is simple, if you want it just go to work an hour earlier.
Chaos, Panic, Disorder - My work is done here.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
OOHHHHH Dear ... WINNERS !!!  :cup: :cup:
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline rodsswag

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Always dreamed it, now living it!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 04:38:58 PM »

:cup:

X2

:cheers:

Rod.....
Swag
Coramal Caravan

Offline Pirate_Pete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 04:56:38 PM »
Doesn't it make the carpets fade   >:D

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 05:19:30 PM »
OK, I'll pose the question to you southerners who are doing the mocking here.

Why do you want daylight savings if not to give you more daylight in the afternoon?

"No, I think the days are spread out evenly throughout the year anyway.  They're reasonably close." - a perfectly logical and rational statement, what's wrong with it?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:21:18 PM by Symon »
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 05:50:40 PM »
It's not just northerners that can't see the light for the day, westerners are just as simple!

Having spent half my life with, and half without daylight saving, I'm still an advocate for it.  What's the point of it getting light at 4:00 am in Brisbane?

When I was a kid and living with DST in Melbourne, our curtains didn't fade, the cows still gave milk, we had the same number of hours of daylight. AND, when mum put us to bed at 7:30, still daylight, we went to sleep because she'd brook no buggering about by any of the four of us.  My mum was 5', her kids range from 6'4" to 5'10", so if she could control her kids I can't aw why other parents can't.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 06:32:33 PM »

Living in Wollongong for 35 years with daylight saving and now living in Cairns for the last 16 years, it does not worry me.

You adapt. Get up early for a walk before work, come home and still plenty of daylight to do things.

So what do most southerners do for the extra hours.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 06:33:13 PM »
Daylight savings would be great in Qld, if it was in winter when the daylight hours are shorter, and it would actually be handy having some sunshine when you get home from work, but in summer, there are already enough daylight hours in the afternoon......

And according to the results of the last referendum (ie- the entire voting population of QLD had their say AFTER TRIALING IT), it wasn't wanted in the sunshine state.

But I can understand why it would be desirable in the darker states  ;D
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 06:42:21 PM »
when mum put us to bed at 7:30, still daylight, we went to sleep because she'd brook no buggering about by any of the four of us. 

Maybe kids are just smarter these days, as they realise that daylight savings is a stupid idea.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »
Hhmmmm, having a go at us Qlders.... Have a look at this....

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 07:02:20 PM »
All southerners here on holiday I suspect.  :cup: :cheers:
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »
It's not just northerners that can't see the light for the day, westerners are just as simple!

Having spent half my life with, and half without daylight saving, I'm still an advocate for it.  What's the point of it getting light at 4:00 am in Brisbane?

When I was a kid and living with DST in Melbourne, our curtains didn't fade, the cows still gave milk, we had the same number of hours of daylight. AND, when mum put us to bed at 7:30, still daylight, we went to sleep because she'd brook no buggering about by any of the four of us.  My mum was 5', her kids range from 6'4" to 5'10", so if she could control her kids I can't aw why other parents can't.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline DRB120

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 07:13:49 PM »

You adapt. Get up early for a walk before work, come home and still plenty of daylight to do things.

Mark

Spot on, Get up early and make the most of the day, I have plenty of friends who sleep in and lose the best few hours of each day.
2005 Prado 120 & 2013 Jawa Offshore 1

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 07:24:35 PM »
I cant understand why you wouldn't want it!!!

This doesn't work if you work in a service orientated industry like the banking sector where you have to be at work during certain hours of the day.

So what do most southerners do for the extra hours.

Mark

I like to go kitesurfing of an afternoon, and to do this I need the afternoon sea breeze. I cant do this in the morning. I can leave work at 1700 and know that the breeze is going to stick around until 1930 or so. Or just being able to go to the beach to have dinner with the family and have a swim, oh hang on you cant do that in cairns cause you will either get stung or eaten by a croc!!!!

I notice today that sunset in cairns is at about 1830, with DLS it would be 1930 - sounds ok to me! I suspect that on Dec 22 or 23 this might blow out to about 2015, but the twilight that far north is very short so it would then get dark very quickly.

When I lived in Tassie, the twilight lasted until 2200 which meant we could water ski until 2130.

What's the point of it getting light at 4:00 am in Brisbane?

None - would be my guess.

OK, I'll pose the question to you southerners who are doing the mocking here.

Why do you want daylight savings if not to give you more daylight in the afternoon?

That's exactly why I want it - for the reasons I have mentioned above. There things I like to do outdoors / at the beach of an afternoon / evening during summer.

My question is why do you not want the daylight ours to be at more useful time of the day, and why is DLS a stupid idea as you put it?

I do however agree that in western Queensland, if they operate on the same time zone as the east coast that DLS would be a PITA, but then maybe they should move to central time ie the same as Adelaide and Darwin, just as Broken Hill in NSW as done.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:31:11 PM by Lcandlc »
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »
My question is why do you not want the daylight ours to be at more useful time of the day, and why is DLS a stupid idea as you put it?

The closer you get to the equator the less seasonal variation you get between winter and summer, so the length of a day changes less in the north than it does in the south.  If you move the clock back in summer to give you more recreation time in the afternoon it really doesn't make much difference to those in the north as the length of the days barely change anyway.  You also have to consider the fact that close to the equator, it gets damn hot, so the only time of the day you really want to be active is in late afternoon anyway, so by moving the clock back you are giving yourself an hour that you aren't really going to use outdoors, so again it begs the question what is the point?

However, if you move the clock back in winter, it makes sense as you are compensating for the shorter day and giving yourself more time to do things in the afternoon.  But obviously that doesn't make sense to those in the south as they have quite short days during winter.

What REALLY gets on my nerve is the pompous ignorance and arrogance of the daylight saving advocates that see QLD and WA as 'backwards' and 'not with the times' as they do not have it.  Both QLD and WA have trialled daylight savings in the past and have elected to not have it.  A reasonable person with a greater than room temperature IQ would conclude that the reason why it was rejected is that people found it did not suit their lifestyle.  This concept seems to be incomprehensible to some hence the bigoted rhetoric about 'fading curtains' and 'milking cows' to try and justify their somewhat xenophobic belief.

I do understand that it is total PITA to those in the eastern states who otherwise would be on a common timezone and especially those who have to interact between QLD and NSW during this time.  The reality is that Australia is a damn big country and a one-size-fits-all solution may not be suitable in this instance.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 08:11:45 PM »
Thats the best answer I have ever read.

Offline Mobi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 08:35:41 PM »
IMO daylight saving is too long now. It's good with Canberra twilight in November to January but that's enough.

:cheers:

Peter
Cat slave

UIZ733

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 08:54:12 PM »
Not worth discussing. The little baldyheaded fella in charge right now will not listen to logic bad or good. Something to do with motorbike riders and judges............................etc.
 As for the previous mob.........they were too busy trying to look good. Either way it would upset my body clock and confuse/delay/expedite my morning bodily functions.

Offline dallp

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 09:00:31 PM »
I don't see the problem.

You lot want it. You got it.

We don't want it. We don't got it.

You care.

We don't.

We win State of Origin every year.

You don't.

Obviously a positive correlation  there.

And the reason why xxxx and Bundy Rum taste sweeter up  here.

(and we have brighter coloured curtains.)

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 10:21:54 PM »
Geez I thought we didn't have it cos it's too hard to turn the sun dial back an hour

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline West

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 10:54:18 PM »
The closer you get to the equator the less seasonal variation you get between winter and summer, so the length of a day changes less in the north than it does in the south.  If you move the clock back in summer to give you more recreation time in the afternoon it really doesn't make much difference to those in the north as the length of the days barely change anyway.  You also have to consider the fact that close to the equator, it gets damn hot, so the only time of the day you really want to be active is in late afternoon anyway, so by moving the clock back you are giving yourself an hour that you aren't really going to use outdoors, so again it begs the question what is the point?

However, if you move the clock back in winter, it makes sense as you are compensating for the shorter day and giving yourself more time to do things in the afternoon.  But obviously that doesn't make sense to those in the south as they have quite short days during winter.

What REALLY gets on my nerve is the pompous ignorance and arrogance of the daylight saving advocates that see QLD and WA as 'backwards' and 'not with the times' as they do not have it.  Both QLD and WA have trialled daylight savings in the past and have elected to not have it.  A reasonable person with a greater than room temperature IQ would conclude that the reason why it was rejected is that people found it did not suit their lifestyle.  This concept seems to be incomprehensible to some hence the bigoted rhetoric about 'fading curtains' and 'milking cows' to try and justify their somewhat xenophobic belief.

I do understand that it is total PITA to those in the eastern states who otherwise would be on a common timezone and especially those who have to interact between QLD and NSW during this time.  The reality is that Australia is a damn big country and a one-size-fits-all solution may not be suitable in this instance.

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 11:09:31 PM »
I don't see the problem.

You lot want it. You got it.

We don't want it. We don't got it.

You care.

We don't.

We win State of Origin every year.

You don't.

Obviously a positive correlation  there.

And the reason why xxxx and Bundy Rum taste sweeter up  here.

(and we have brighter coloured curtains.)

:cheers: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

KingBilly

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 11:13:30 PM »
Us Queenslanders reckon the sun shines out of our bums and we ain't getting up early for nobody.  Now go away and leave us alone  ;D ;D ;D

KB