Author Topic: Guardian Campers Ecomate for Moggy  (Read 5114 times)

Offline Moggy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • BT50 & Guardian Ecomate Hard Floor
Guardian Campers Ecomate for Moggy
« on: September 15, 2013, 07:33:37 PM »
Well after months (about 18)  of research & umming & ahhhing finally bit the bullet & ordered a Ecomate hardfloor from Guardian campers. They're very similar to Leisure Matters, Brumby type of trailer.
I must also say a big thanks  :cheers: to Muzza01 for the info & feedback he gave of his brothers CT (same one). 4-6 week wait but thats ok i'll have new BT50 by then & have 30th Wedding anniversary trip to Melb at months end. Probably bad timing up here coming into wet season, but may get a couple of weekend trips to not to distant locations just for a bit of education/training.
I'm sposed to be getting a new computer this week so once i have that setup & workout how to post pics etc i'll put some pics up when we get CT
It is better to temporarily fail with a cause that will ultimately succeed, than to temporarily succeed with a cause that will ultimately fail

Offline thommo19

• Tent User
Re: Guardian Campers Ecomate for Moggy
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »
Congrats on the camper ,I sure you will enjoy.
Look forward to the pictures.
Jeff

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Chevy badges on Holdens make Baby Jesus cry!!!!!!
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 07:44:44 PM »
Good luck with all Moggy. Keep in touch if you have any more questions. Muz

Offline DaveR

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »
Is that the same as the Ecomate which is on the Modcon website?
I have been interested to see what they are doing.
Here is what I am speaking about.
][bhttp://modcon.com.au/another-imperial-hf[/b]
1994 HZJ 75 Troopy, 440,000 k's and still soldiering on
Modcon Origin Rear fold extended soft floor.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 01:48:18 PM »
Your link dikdnt work Dave. I have put it here:

http://modcon.com.au/another-imperial-hf

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 01:55:39 PM »

Offline DaveR

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 01:59:26 PM »
That looks like it is the same as yours.

Offline DaveR

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 02:11:44 PM »
Found another add.
The logo on the mudflaps is done the same way as the Modcon logo, so these must be associated somehow I think.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/idalia/campervan/camper-trailer/1020047045  I checked this link  ;D

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 02:29:42 PM »
That looks like it is the same as yours.
Yeah it pretty well is. My brother bought his from this mob for $15K.  The annexe is slightly different (bigger) and some of the issues I fixed on mt $10K version like wheel bearings, rear wheel carrier, stove install were already fixed on his CT.
He also hot his registered and he got a gas hot water system and an ensuite.  His fridge slide area is made of alloy where mine is steel.  Other than that much the same.

Offline Moggy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »
Hi Dave
That's the one Muz, although when i ordered, Mark said i would get the next model. Only difference (apparently) is that they have re-positioned the gas bottles & jerry can holders to the side so that the box with the fridge slides becomes a little wider to cater for the annex poles etc. From what i understand its about 150mm wider. The front box just moves fwd slightly.
I had a good look at recent camp show in Mackay and after talking to Muzza (whose brother has one) thought they represented fair value. Problem for me is that there is limited available to look at, so unless you go to Bris, I really had nothing to compare to.
Modcon is the upmarket top CT (brisbane based) & the ecomate is a model down. The guy from rocky seemed quite genuine (dont they all) but from what i could ascertain he used to have a engineering workshop but struggled to compete so went into CT.
He didnt try to shy away from the fact that they were imports, but rather said that they fit the independant suspension & wheel bearings here as well as a few of the finishing touches.
I watched & read with great interest here, but decided if i didn't take the plunge i would probably procrastinate for years. And if you look hard enough you'll always find issues (small & large). I mean i would have loved to buy a KK or similar, but for some its a matter of $$$$.
My next choice was probably a LM camper but couldnt find one to get a close up look
I also thought that there seemed to be a bit of thought put into  the trailer with the spare fitted to the rear & some good counter balancing aspects
They have also put the price up $1k but i managed to secure at old price of $15k. I managed to get him to throw in another annex (drivers or passenger side zip on) which is supposedly quick erect???? whatever that means (maybe comes with a box of blue pills  :D)
He's also doing a deal on a Primus 65l fridge at $900 for me so I thought that was OK, though really dont have a clue as to whether they're any good or if thats a good price, but a google search would seem so!!!
I'm hopefully collecting CT from Rocky towards end of Oct, so when i do i will start a thread & post pics (provided i work out how)
I've been inspired by Muzza & others to add some necessary touches, so really looking forward to the journey(s)
It is better to temporarily fail with a cause that will ultimately succeed, than to temporarily succeed with a cause that will ultimately fail

Offline Moggy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 12:54:53 PM »
Geez the wait is excructiating.
Well got a pic, probably just to stop me annoying them with emails.
Slightly different front box.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »
So when do you pick it up?

Offline Moggy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 01:51:59 PM »
He's very non commital, but at this rate after Xmas. Gets frustrating cos if I push they rush & possible problems. Hopi ng next couple of weeks

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

Offline Moggy

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Guardian Campers Ecomate for Moggy - We have a pickup date
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »
We have a date!!!!!  :D  :D  :D   :D
Will be picking up camper 26-27 Nov Would've picked it up a week earlier but heading out to the Reef for a few days.
It's a tough life but somebodies gotta do it  ;D  ;D  ;D
 Few pics of work todate

Offline scubasteve

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 06:24:10 PM »
Not long ago ( bout 2 hrs) have I seen 3 of these Ecomates and 1 Modcon heading towards Townsville this arvo !!! Invasion of the North ??? :-

Offline Moggy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 05:01:13 PM »
Well 1 more sleep.  :D
Just confirmed pickup tomorrow.
YeeHaa :laugh:

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »
The countdown starts :cheers:

Offline sol

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 11:20:04 AM »
Just saw one going past towed by a 100 series cruiser. ;D
Nice looking camper. :cup:

:cheers:
Don't dwell on how bad today is or yesterday was. Think of a better tomorrow!
2007 3ltr turbo Rodeo

Offline laf

• Tent User
  • HARD FLOOR
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 01:14:59 PM »
    nice bit of gear   :cup:

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 04:58:41 PM »
So moggy, how is the new CT?

Offline Moggy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 06:51:40 PM »
Mate have literally unhooked & walked inside.
But better than i had expected. Towed like a dream, didnt know it was there at times.
I will give a full account (with pics) tomorrow Few extra touches i wasnt expecting so a real bonus

Offline Moggy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013, 04:01:43 PM »
Well Day 1 of "Getting to know your Camper"

Bit of manouvering to get it in the back yard. (Memo pour concrete driveway this week)

Stove, Sink & Battery box

Independant Suspension - Bolt on stubs (non tapered) ?? Whatever that means. Seller gave me a spare set of bearings & some sort of seal thingy. (Hope i never have to replace them, tho should probably investigate in case of emergency)

Pretty happy so far & feel that i've made a reasonable purchase.
A check over confirmed all (structural) bolts as Gr 8.8 HT and all nipples & bushes etc had a good smattering of grease
Some of the extras were ciga point beside sink & inside camper + a usb port inside as well. Also had spare foot for the "floor" extra water tank hose & fittings, fire extinguisher.
There was a wind break for stove, handles (2) for the wind down legs, info on stove fridge etc, but as i was to find out soon NO BLOODY INSTRUCTIONS for the annex(s)

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »
Good to see some pics Moggy.
If I can offer a tip, Fill up the water tank, connect up the sink, run the tap and check for leaks. My brother had a couple problems with leaks on his ecomate. repaired under warranty without problems but I reckon it would be good to find out if you have a leak now than while we were camping which is what happened to him.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 04:33:40 PM »
Have a good look thru your pole bag and in between your canvas for the instructions. My brother got instructions with his and we needed them. Your annexe is similar to mine but has an extra piece of canvas and poles.
If I can offer another tip, work out where your poles all go (set it all up properly), mark and label all of your poles and colour code them.  This is what I did:

This is the pole setup layed out where they would go for the setup.

Now my annexe setup is really not that difficult, yours is a little harder but still not hard to work out.

The beauty of colour coding the setup is my Mrs can get all of the poles out and lay them on the ground where they are supposed to go while I am busy doing other things (not drinking beer). Then we can put it up together fairly quickly.

I also bought 2 extra spreader poles (The ones that have nylon 1/2 circles on each end) as it works better this way.
You can always give me a call if you get stuck Mate.

Also dump the Chinese Treg copy tow hitch and put on an Oz hitch, Do35, proper Treg or similar.  If you have a look on my thread, I have listed the part numbers of quality shocks and I have a sketch plan of a water tank protector.

Offline Moggy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 04:34:24 PM »
Now a question for the electrical boffins, when we were going through delivery they said the power was wired up with 4mm with a 50amp fuse. I sort of figure that this is from the anderson plug at front, my question is is this big enough, reading thru some posts it seems as though it should be 6 or 16mm², maybe someone can clarify.
Anyway
Fridge Box & Fridge

Fridge is a knock-off of a 65l primus brand is "INDEL B" Italian company has a danfoss compressor so thats sposed to impress me apparently  ;D Anyway looks the goods & got the beer cold so anything else is a bonus  :cheers:

Stage 1 of assembly

This was the easy part.
Next was the awning, touring annex (bonus).
However I quickly realized my backyard wasnt going to be big enough (my official photographer also bailed out , so no pics yet, as at this stage it was hitting 32° with 85% humidity - storms brewin to the south)
I persevered trying to sort through all the bit & pieces, but think I'll be trolling for pics & videos of others setups as their seemed to be a helluva lot poles & ropes. Some of the poles had some numbers on them but without any instructions may as well not have.
Only just managed to get the annexes up when the impending storms forced my hand for a quick dismantle, as i didnt have sufficient space to guy down properly.
Probably wont go to crazy on mods  but the first one will definately be to put some styrene insulation on the fridge box ceiling, would really be making the fridge work hard in hot weather

I would have to say I'm happy with the quality of the camper & considering i got the upgraded version at the old price $15k with a bonus touring annex + a deal of $900 for the fridge + the spares & extras he threw in.
These guys were easy to deal with & they do a bit of their own design work & he showed me a forward fold & bigger rear fold their currently building/prototyping.
Hopefully in the coming week(s) I'll get a chance to fully setup & then get some more pics.

Gotta be beer o'clock