Author Topic: After some neat storage ideas or packing tips from people for soft top ct's plz  (Read 1029 times)

Offline jagfromaus

• Swag User
Hi all, new to the ct scene and christening the new ct in a few weeks and want to be as organised as I possibly can for the maiden trip. Been camping for years in tents and allways manage to overpack and often have the highside trailer mounded up very high with all sorts of gadgets and crap which half the time i never use lol. Dunno whether to try and go with storage tubs? and if i did should i go big/tall ones or a number of small ones? on that subject, where the hell can you buy tubs these days that dont crack just looking at them....grrrr chinese ****e.
Keen to get some experienced tips, input and even pictures from the gurus on here folks.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Led Lights , Have I got a Deal for You

Work out what you want to take camping. From there work out the best way to store them that is easy to get to. For years I used plastic containers then made my own storage draw. Drifta do a great one if you can't make your own.

What sort of kitchen set up do you have, what sort of storage areas does your camper have, how big is your storage box on the draw bar.

The best thing is take what you will use not to fill it up with things you won't.

Pics of my storage draw I made.

Mark
CAPE YORK.....THE FINAL FRONTIER...BEAM ME UP SCOTTY :-)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Work out what you want to take and then decide how you want to pack it, it is a bit of trial and error. I prefer square containers without lips so you don't waste space. Space cases are good but exy. Storage boxes like McGirr's are good to.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

My Prado Build
Customline Deluxe Off Road

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Floor Camper User
I think we are still trying to get this right we have haha.  Do you have much room under the cover?  On top of the canvas but under the cover we have put the things we use every trip so that we are not unpacking things off there that are not needed so our chairs go up there they fold flat, the ladder and the waffle mats that we put under the tent floor along with the 2 side awning walls.  Inside the trailer we have 2 storage tubs but this will soon be 3 as I think it will pack better and a soft bag with towels and spare jacket socks beanie each.  We have Drifta kitchen on the tailgate so most kitchen stuff goes in this.  We also take ozpig solar panels and a few other things there are still things I think we will take out of the mix.  Good luck.

Offline jagfromaus

• Swag User
Unfortunately a drifta style draw is not an option as i allready have a tailgate mounted kitchen. The box on the front of my drawbar has been upsized and is HUGE 1450 x 600 x 500. i cant squeeze anymore under the cover because its allready stretched to the limit due to annexe and spare room canvas and an innerspring mattress. What i do like about storage tubs is they make neat bedside table for the kids once unloaded and setup.

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Floor Camper User
Unfortunately a drifta style draw is not an option as i allready have a tailgate mounted kitchen. The box on the front of my drawbar has been upsized and is HUGE 1450 x 600 x 500. i cant squeeze anymore under the cover because its allready stretched to the limit due to annexe and spare room canvas and an innerspring mattress. What i do like about storage tubs is they make neat bedside table for the kids once unloaded and setup.

You can still do drawers behind the kitchen if you wish it just doesn't come right to the end of trailer when closed once tailgate is open you can pull it out.  We don't have that.  Usually we put one of our boxes under the end of the trailer and the other under the kitchen.  We are lucky as we have a lot of space under our cover even with all that there it probably has a little bit more room in the middle part.  Hope you find the set up that works best for you

Offline iantz

• Swag User
McGirr - I'm in the process of planning boxes like you've made. Can you tell me what/if any slides you have?  Did you just use the hard teflon like Drifta do, or fit actual slides.

Thanks in advance
Too many trips on the to-do list, not enough time...

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
McGirr - I'm in the process of planning boxes like you've made. Can you tell me what/if any slides you have?  Did you just use the hard teflon like Drifta do, or fit actual slides.

Thanks in advance

I got the timber place to add plastic skids under neath and it slides easy on the marine carpet in the camper. Tested on the last Gulf Trip. I also added some aluminium angle underneath for extra strength. as mentioned I got the timber pre cut to size and glued and screwed the timber together.

If you need any more pics let me know.

Mark

Offline iantz

• Swag User
After some neat storage ideas or packing tips from people for soft top ct's plz
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 06:22:05 PM »
Thanks mark! I've been thinking of doing the same with skids etc. I've got an inverter in the way at the moment. Need to move that first...

Do you have a storage box on each side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Too many trips on the to-do list, not enough time...

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
No just on one side as the kitchen on the tailgate  would make it too hard to pull out.

Mark

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
We went to Office Works with the height of the trailer & got the tallest plastic lided boxes we could . 1 each for cloths ,1 for kitchen gear ,1 for food . We carry a steel rake to clean the camp site if there are rocks or sticks & to pull the plastic boxes out of the CT . lf they don't slide around then they wont crack up & there cheap to replace if they do . :cheers:
Still looking for 1 last beer before l go