Author Topic: Coleman HWOD Instant-Up Ensuite Tent  (Read 2087 times)

Offline blue2u

• Swag User
  • Hardfloor camper user
Coleman HWOD Instant-Up Ensuite Tent
« on: July 15, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »
Does any one here have one of these:

I've got the Oztrail popup version and am trying to find out if there is anything much better out there.

What I'd like to know is:
 - the realistic time to put it up and to pack it down
 - what are they like in the wind, pegging down, vertical stability etc
 - how big is the folded up package
 - if known a comparison to the Oztrail Popup Ensuite range including size of the packed up tent
 - proposed use is as fast put up and pull down loo tent for one night stops on the road. How well does it do that? Has anyone found anything better?

Regards John
2009 Prado 120, 2011 Modcon Imperial HF

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
Coleman HWOD Instant-Up Ensuite Tent
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 02:52:13 PM »
We have the double version. We only use it for extended bush stays. Approx 5 mins to set up being realistic. About the same to pack up.
The double is bloody huge when set up but it's a quality tent. It's approx 30cm round and 150cm long when packed up.
We use our pop up single tent when a quicker basic tent is needed.

Offline blue2u

• Swag User
  • Hardfloor camper user
Re: Coleman HWOD Instant-Up Ensuite Tent
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:33:22 AM »
Finally found a video on youtube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0MnTYr-3lw

It didn't impress me on either the size of the packed tent or the ease of setup.

OOP's OK it was a full tent not an ensuite  :'(

Thanks John
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:20:29 PM by blue2u »

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 10:53:45 AM »
Finally found a video on youtube www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0MnTYr-3lw
It didn't impress me on either the size of the packed tent or the ease of setup.

Thanks John

Hi John
Out of curiosity I am guessing that video was for their actual tent not an ensuite one so not sure on set up pack up times on the coleman.  We have the Oztrail twin ensuite one as our shower tent took a bit longer to set up than a pop up one but much more sturdy and has a dry area to keep your clothes and get dressed also has the clip in floor piece.  For our toilet tent we had a pop up one but when we got the Jimmy's thunderbox it was too wide for it so we have gone back to an older style one that we had in the shed takes few mins to set up and need guy ropes but does the job we need.  Shower tent will only be used on extended stays anyway.

Offline elle.mac

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »
I looked at getting one as we thought the pop-ups tend to be flimsy in wind. However we have just bought the Oztrail Gazebo Ensuite Utility Room as it looks simple to put up - will know later this week when it appears at the post office.
2003 120 series Prado (aka the Beast)
2012 Customline Deluxe Offroad

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:40:48 AM »
I looked at getting one as we thought the pop-ups tend to be flimsy in wind. However we have just bought the Oztrail Gazebo Ensuite Utility Room as it looks simple to put up - will know later this week when it appears at the post office.

If this is the same one we have it was a pretty simple set up. Ours is the twin one and was still pretty easy and stayed up in strong winds

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 11:52:33 AM »
one night stops on the road. How well does it do that? Has anyone found anything better?

We find a tree usually does the job.

Offline blue2u

• Swag User
  • Hardfloor camper user
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »
Hi John
Out of curiosity I am guessing that video was for their actual tent not an ensuite one so not sure on set up pack up times on the coleman.  We have the Oztrail twin ensuite one as our shower tent took a bit longer to set up than a pop up one but much more sturdy and has a dry area to keep your clothes and get dressed also has the clip in floor piece.  For our toilet tent we had a pop up one but when we got the Jimmy's thunderbox it was too wide for it so we have gone back to an older style one that we had in the shed takes few mins to set up and need guy ropes but does the job we need.  Shower tent will only be used on extended stays anyway.

You are right, it was a full tent, not an ensuite, I should have watched the full run of the video.

Offline blue2u

• Swag User
  • Hardfloor camper user
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 02:27:36 PM »
We find a tree usually does the job.

That's what we try to do as well but there are times and places where there are too many people around.

Offline KingBilly

• "Happiness is a single malt"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Be yourself. Everybody else is taken.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 07:28:49 PM »
We have one of these Oztrail ensuite tents.  Seconds to set up and pull down.  Forget getting one with poles

Oztrail Pop Up Ensuite - Tent Guide - BCF Small | Large

Four of those interlocking rubber mats with holes in them fit in the bottom of the tent with a little bit of trimming around the edges.

Portable toilet sits in the middle unless showering and then it is pushed into a corner and gets used as a small table to put things on.

KB
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:32:11 PM by KingBilly »
Isuzu DMax & Customline Offroad Deluxe
DMax Mods
Customline Mods

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Chevy badges on Holdens make Baby Jesus cry!!!!!!
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »
We got the wanderer double ensuite. setup is about 10 mins. It is very big (huge).
It is on special at BCF ATM for $118. we paid $150 on special from $170.

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Wanderer-Dome-Ensuite-Double.aspx?pid=325997#Cross

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 07:58:26 PM »
We have one of these Oztrail ensuite tents.  Seconds to set up and pull down.  Forget getting one with poles
Portable toilet sits in the middle unless showering and then it is pushed into a corner and gets used as a small table to put things on.
KB

What KB said ... except we use a rubber mat on the grass ... because we are posh ... and it only cost a tenner.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline thrasherdave

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Cow Flat NSW
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 09:14:10 AM »
Well, blue2u, I see that nobody answered your question, so did you go ahead and buy one anyway?

I am also looking at these as my Oztrail one snapped one of its poles and I find I cannot get a spare.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
  • adventure before dementia as long as l can remembe
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 06:19:29 AM »
PM  Black Diamond he is our resident expert on pop up dunny tents & how to fold them up using only 10 blokes , wire cutter & a chain saw  >:D

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 06:22:06 AM »

Well, blue2u, I see that nobody answered your question, so did you go ahead and buy one anyway?

I am also looking at these as my Oztrail one snapped one of its poles and I find I cannot get a spare.

I've never been called no one before! Well actually maybe I have ;)

Offline thrasherdave

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Cow Flat NSW
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 07:09:57 AM »
Oops. Sorry Danny, I didn't realise there was a double Coleman HWOD tent, so I assumed you were referring to the Oztrail.

Offline oldmate

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 07:53:39 AM »
Lyndall uses this, I pack it up, practice makes perfect and I can do it about as quick as the guy in the vid

Small | Large

Offline Darren253

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »
Does any one here have one of these:

I've got the Oztrail popup version and am trying to find out if there is anything much better out there.

What I'd like to know is:
 - the realistic time to put it up and to pack it down
 - what are they like in the wind, pegging down, vertical stability etc
 - how big is the folded up package
 - if known a comparison to the Oztrail Popup Ensuite range including size of the packed up tent
 - proposed use is as fast put up and pull down loo tent for one night stops on the road. How well does it do that? Has anyone found anything better?

Regards John

We use this one... We had the oztrail instant up one that broke on the 3rd use, and was very flimsy.
This is a million times more ridged, and once you've got the hand of it only take 1-2 minutes to erect. Unfold the centre and lock out, extend the legs and clip the 4 or 8 unclipped pole hooks. I would buy 10 of these over the I stand up one again. Packs up the size of a small camp chair.
'09 Kimberley Kamper Project - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=32873.0