Author Topic: Bullbars: are they necessary?  (Read 30781 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Bullbars: are they necessary?
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »
Are 4wd's necessary?
Are $30,000,000 houses necessary?
Are $60,000 campertrailers necessary??
Are clothes necessary?
Dunny paper?

What did people do before them?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Is hitting the road Jack.
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
timely thread..........i guess you will need to list whats most important to fit first

agree front bars are handy to fit things to......however

i am about to remove front bar and go back to a standard bumper, i just need to work out where to mount my UHF aerial...i have decided to ditch the driving lights so no problem there
Lol. I very nearly collected a big Grey on the M1 at the Labrador exit one morning just on dawn. I was towing my boat with a Subaru Forester so was unable to much more then brake hard and jink slightly. Made the trailer brakes earn their keep.

As said by most reply's, if needs dictate then go for it. If not then why bother.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:23:21 AM by Roo »
[insert witty comment]

Offline markpeh

• Swag User
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2013, 06:10:16 PM »
I'm sure that there are lots of 4x4s that don't need them but for me they are an essential piece of safety equipment. In the last months I have hit 2 Roos and a pig. Since I have fitted hid spotties the amount of animals I hit has reduced. Bar important to mount those lights.

That said I prefer the look of the vehicle with the bar...

Offline johnyd

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2013, 06:59:09 PM »
If you plan on driving on country roads, especially scrubby ones, at night time you're asking for trouble not having one IMO. 

I live next door to a nature reserve that a fairly busy rural road goes through.  The area also has poor mobile coverage so getting help can be an issue.  Over the years I couldn't count the number of people that I've either pulled over to help or have had walk to the house asking if we could call them a tow truck because they've hit a roo and can't keep going.  It would be at least 1 every couple of months, which is really 1/1000's that go through there so it isn't a huge problem, but I wouldn't want to risk the repair costs if fitting a bar was practical.

Of course it is a larger portion of sedan drivers that are wrecked by it, but there are often bullbarless 4WD's as well with the front ends caved in.

In 20 years I've only ever seen one 4wd with a bullbar done. One of the biggest Eastern Grey's I've seen was pretty much in the passenger seat of the ute.  The roo wasn't what stopped him though, the trees did when he ran off the road.  The driver was mostly ok, no permanent damage.  Bullbar or no bullbar wouldn't have changed anything in that situation.

That said I currently drive a commodore sedan with no protection.  A bar would be close to being more expensive than the car and wouldn't raise the resale value.

Edit:
Depending on your insurance hitting one roo would be the cost of getting a bar.

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2013, 03:03:32 AM »
I like having a bullbar. It's a good place to sit when you're working in the engine bay of a lifted Patrol.

Also, if I didn't have one, my car would look even more second-hand than it does  ;D

It protected my winch during one fairly momentous trip, although some of the peripheral fittings didn't live to fight another day...

2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2013, 11:57:06 AM »
Whether or not they are necessary is a risk management question.

Advantages of a roobar

Protect the front of the vehicle from small to medium animal strikes allowing the vehicle to continue.
Protect the bumper from being scratched.
Increase approach angles.
Easy fitment of an electric winch.

Disadvantages of a roobar

Increase weight over front suspension.
Decreased survivability of the occupants of the vehicle fitted with the roobar (reduced effectiveness of crumple zones).
Decreased survivability of the occupants of the vehicle collided with.
Decreased survivability of pedestrians/cyclists.
Cost.

So the decision to fit really needs to be made on a risk basis.  Do the advantages of the roobar outweigh the disadvantages?  That can really only be answered by the operator of the vehicle. 

For me the disadvantage outweigh the advantages so I don't fit one.  I imagine if you live in a place like Rockhampton where animal strikes are a constant reality the advantages may well outweigh the disadvantages.

my 2c

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2013, 01:30:38 PM »
Some other advantages:

Allows you to choose a more 'adventurous' line where running out of traction may be an issue, as risk of damage to the vehicle is reduced (by that I mean you can take a few chances with trees, banks and rocks that may be present in your alternative line.

Allows you to park up against a tree or bank when using the winch to recover other vehicles.

Provides a high lift jacking point (if so designed).

Less chance of damage - or cessation of forward progress - when crossing deep water.

Really, if you truly use your 4WD to the limits of its design specification, a bullbar isn't a 'nice to have' - it's a necessity.
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
In 1990, I lived 420 k's north of Kalgoorlie, my then HJ75 troopy had no extras at all, just window tint.
On the drive from Sandstone toward Mount Magnet I hit a Roo on the far right side of the standard bar, it swung back and shredded the tyre and we than nearly tipped over. Lucky only doing about 60 at the time, but was traveling alone on a road with a car a week at the time.
I wasn't to please about that as the food we had was in an esky which would have upended everywhere, so a steel bar went on ASAP.
Not sure how many I have hit, I stop when I can to check on them, but most keep hoping away.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Boxhead 71

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Listen, CALM DOWN!!!
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2013, 02:21:30 PM »
I'd say odds are in favour of NOT hitting one in many circumstances........

Yeah, but it only takes one.  And the odds of winning Lotto are not in my favour either but i keep buying tickets..... ;D
Strong as an ox, smart as a tractor!
I love to wake up to the sound of a Jake brake and the smell of chainsaws in the morning.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »
Nearly took out a fat Wallaby this morning on the road into Sugarloaf Reservoir. In reality it probably would have gone under the Prado but I was glad I had my ARB frontal impact collision avoidance and minimisation device fitted ;D
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »
Nearly took out a fat Wallaby this morning on the road into Sugarloaf Reservoir. In reality it probably would have gone under the Prado but I was glad I had my ARB frontal impact collision avoidance and minimisation device fitted ;D

;D ;D :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2013, 08:32:25 PM »
I doubt I could safely drive to Balgo Hills from here, which is only 44 km's, without the assurance of vehicular protective equipment.  I know they are called bull bars, but I am more concerned with horses and camels that frequently get on the road, and some of the bull cars get indignantly territorial when on the road.
I know you have qualified that most people do not spend much time in the bush, I am an enigma to that comment, as I do no city driving at all, never have.  The fact that many 4wds have bull bars attached is a promotional thing I assume, as I have seen some of the newer bull bars impacted out this way, and they simple snapped or were bent back into the radiator.  Pretty effective decoration.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2013, 02:51:56 PM »
I hit (got hit) by a deer on Saturday in the middle of the day.  :'(

I was driving the Magna not the Patrol so no bull bar.  It hit the front mud guard in the side so i doubt the bull bar would have helped in this case.

It's getting dangerous out there!!!

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2013, 03:09:56 PM »
I have an alloy TJM bar on the Cherokee - not really a 'bull bar' as it does not protect the radiator, it merely replaces the original (plastic) front bumper.  I had it fitted because:
  • It provides additional protection against frontal impacts
  • It provides a cradle to hold the winch
  • It gave me two substantial eyes for recovery (even though TJM don't rate them, they are as solid as anything you can find)
  • It provides a mounting for the spots, the HF and UHF aerials, and the sand flag, and
  • I got it at discount because my wife worked for a TJM store!
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline darice11

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
The tree hit on the LHS (first photo) but the damage on the right from the transfer of the force looks just as bad. There was no damage to the frame or panels from the doors back. Everything still opened and closed OK but the damage bill was 18k. I few more $ and they may have written it off. I have wondered if a steel bar would have done a better job? Was told the alloy bar took a lot of the force and crumbled as per design. Engine was still running ok.

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
Bullbars: are they necessary?
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2013, 09:44:12 PM »
I chose not to fit one one my latest prado after living ten years in CQ with at least a nudge bar or alloy bullbar fitted, I feel I can get away with out one down in SEQ.

We still travel outback and at night, I just travel a bit slower at the dangerous times, particularly dusk  and dawn. My biggest concern has always been horses and cattle more so than roos and even the best bars won't help with those buggers!

We even drove across the Barkley at night in September last year but just had dinner at the Threeways and left there about 730pm so it was full dark as I believe you can see better then than dusk.

My point being that if you are prepared to drive a bit slower and have some good lights (restricted without the bar to mount) you can do without.

Oh and fuel economy is much better too
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2013, 09:54:08 PM »
I have to admit that my recent (and unwanted) travels to Broome, Perth and Adelaide, I sa quite a few really flash looking 4wd's, and I was wondering why they had them.  It was obvious to me, somehiow, that the vehicles were probably not going to be used for too much travel in real country (showing my bias there), so I reckon it was basically bull bars for good looks.
Can anyone tell me why they call them bull bars, as I have hit many kangaroos (and taken them home), a couple of cows, thankfully travelling slowly, and have rammed some camels to get them off the track, but I have rarely ever hit an actual big bull.  The size of the scrubbers (bulls from the scrub) around here, if you hit one, no matter what bull bar you had, your vehicle would be a write off.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2013, 02:02:56 PM »
The tree hit on the LHS (first photo) but the damage on the right from the transfer of the force looks just as bad. There was no damage to the frame or panels from the doors back. Everything still opened and closed OK but the damage bill was 18k. I few more $ and they may have written it off. I have wondered if a steel bar would have done a better job? Was told the alloy bar took a lot of the force and crumbled as per design. Engine was still running ok.

There is a WHOLE LOT MORE to a bulbar design than material choice. A steel bar may have transferred more force to the chassis/vehicle resulting in more damage to it .. and you.

Or, with the right 'crush cans' (as ARB, but not too many others, designs and installs) there may have in fact been less visible and actual damage from the use of a steel bar.. or

...or... or!

Hope this helps

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline Pog

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Insert personal text here...
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2013, 11:26:24 PM »
I've hit about 9 or 10 roos with my 07 SR Hilux in 6 yrs. I fitted a Toyota Steel Bullbar with Toyota Side Rails when I bought the ute in June 07, and none of the roos did any significant damage to the bar or ute.

At least 6 of the roos I would have hit at 100 - 110 km/hr on the front left corner or centre of the bar. Knowing I could keep driving after hitting a roo is great peace of mind, especially when I hit 2 in the same trip between Renmark & Menindee going through Dangalli Convervation Park at 5:00am one day.

Having said that, the new SR5 that I have just purchased, has a genuine Toyota Alloy Bull Bar, but it doesn't look very strong. It sits too close to the panels and grille, there isn't enough room for my spotlights to be protected, without them hanging out the front of the bar.

I think after the 1st roo I hit, I will be using the insurance money to change back to a stronger steel bar with side rails. The Alloy Bar was about the same price as the Steel bar with side rails.

2013 Toyota Prado Altitude & Challenge Outback Deluxe Offroad Camper Trailer.
MY PRADO BUILD

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2013, 12:00:31 AM »
I've hit about 9 or 10 roos with my 07 SR Hilux in 6 yrs. I fitted a Toyota Steel Bullbar with Toyota Side Rails when I bought the ute in June 07, and none of the roos did any significant damage to the bar or ute.

At least 6 of the roos I would have hit at 100 - 110 km/hr on the front left corner or centre of the bar. Knowing I could keep driving after hitting a roo is great peace of mind, especially when I hit 2 in the same trip between Renmark & Menindee going through Dangalli Convervation Park at 5:00am one day.

Having said that, the new SR5 that I have just purchased, has a genuine Toyota Alloy Bull Bar, but it doesn't look very strong. It sits too close to the panels and grille, there isn't enough room for my spotlights to be protected, without them hanging out the front of the bar.

I think after the 1st roo I hit, I will be using the insurance money to change back to a stronger steel bar with side rails. The Alloy Bar was about the same price as the Steel bar with side rails.

Hi Pogasauras
Given this is your first post, I will say welcome to MySwag, hope you enjoy your time on this great site.
Tjupurula

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2013, 06:40:15 AM »
Whether or not they are necessary is a risk management question.

Advantages of a roobar

Protect the front of the vehicle from small to medium animal strikes allowing the vehicle to continue.
Protect the bumper from being scratched.
Increase approach angles.
Easy fitment of an electric winch.

Disadvantages of a roobar

Increase weight over front suspension.

Smart bars are lighter

Decreased survivability of the occupants of the vehicle fitted with the roobar (reduced effectiveness of crumple zones).

Smart bars do not alter the crumple zones effectiveness

Decreased survivability of the occupants of the vehicle collided with.

As above and have been proven to offer safer accident protection

Decreased survivability of pedestrians/cyclists.

Again, proven to reduce pedestrian impact damage. No sharp edges or glass or malleable metal to hurt

Cost.

Got my smart bar fitted for the same cost as an ARB sahara bar

So the decision to fit really needs to be made on a risk basis.  Do the advantages of the roobar outweigh the disadvantages?  That can really only be answered by the operator of the vehicle. 

For me the disadvantage outweigh the advantages so I don't fit one.  I imagine if you live in a place like Rockhampton where animal strikes are a constant reality the advantages may well outweigh the disadvantages.

my 2c
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2013, 08:38:58 AM »
Brian have nothing against smart bars and have eard good thing re roo strikes etc. But there is some marketing BS around them as well. They do add weight to the front, maybe not as much as a steel bar but its still forward weight. They do affect the crumple zone, even a nudge bar has effect on the crumple zone. And they don't necessarily improve the impact for a pedestrian as they will still "bend a person in half" just they will give.

I am also waiting to see one that has spent the last 15-20years outside and how the UV has treated it. I am sure it's UV cured plastic but my experience virtually no lasting can sustain long term UV exposure.

Also be interesting to see if they bring out one for the 200. The 200 has a dirty big alloy beam that runs across in front of th chassis rails on crush cans. ARB remove this and other bits which would probaly drop 20 kg but I could see a plastic bar loosing this. Then again you would think as the 200 is now 6 yrs old they would have designed one by now?
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2013, 08:54:57 AM »
Are 4wd's necessary?
Are $30,000,000 houses necessary?
Are $60,000 campertrailers necessary??
Are clothes necessary?
Dunny paper?

What did people do before them?

I wear clothes and use dunny paper, but I do not have a house, car or CT.  Yes I did have a car, but sold it t cover some medical expenses.  Incidentally, prior to toilet paper, it was usually a quick wipe over with some dirt, and a wash down from (not in) a rockhole when the chance came about.  Yes, I have been there and done that......ooohhh, how disgusting......WHO CARES.
Tjupurula

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2013, 10:25:28 AM »
Can anyone tell me why they call them bull bars, as I have hit many kangaroos (and taken them home), a couple of cows, thankfully travelling slowly, and have rammed some camels to get them off the track, but I have rarely ever hit an actual big bull.  The size of the scrubbers (bulls from the scrub) around here, if you hit one, no matter what bull bar you had, your vehicle would be a write off.

Probably a carry-over from the railway version, known as a "cow catcher" :)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:06:01 AM by Squalo »
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
Bullbars: are they necessary?
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2013, 09:24:04 AM »
Like all accessories no they aren't necessary but can be a valuable asset. Plenty of people take their stock vehicles out 4wding and touring without any problems.