Author Topic: 2013 Ford Ranger fitting of brake controller  (Read 5995 times)

Offline Strider

• Tent User
2013 Ford Ranger fitting of brake controller
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:53:14 PM »
Hi all, a mate has just ordered a new Ranger and has asked me to help him install his P3. He said he read somewhere there is a plug on the Ranger that you can plug the P3 into. Does anybody know anything about this.

Alternatively can anyone tell me where is the best place to get the brake activation source from? I took it from the rear tail light on my Prado.

I am aware of the need to install the earth below the sensor on the mauin battery earth wire.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards
Alan.

Online Marschy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: 2013 Ford Ranger fitting of brake controller
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »
Apparently nothing under the dash to plug straight into, you have to run the wiring all the way to the back of the vehicle to pick up the brake light. My wife works at Stillwell Ford, she is just waiting for the service guys to get back from lunch and she will confirm this. She told me to ring Hall Towbars here in Adelaide who fit all their brake controllers and they reckon nothing under the dash as well.

Cheers, Marschy
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:17:38 PM by Marschy »

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 02:44:01 PM »
isn't there a brake light power feed in the cabin?

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Online Marschy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 03:03:31 PM »
isn't there a brake light power feed in the cabin?

Yes, but like most modern cars, tapping into the brake light feed near the pedal can affect the ABS. The list of cars that they recommend you do not tap into the brake pedal is growing for the P3, and the most common vehicle is Ford.

Whilst you could probably find the feed in the cabin, finding the correct wire is like finding a needle in a hay stack. On the other hand, finding the brake light feed at the rear of the vehicle is simple.

There are more wires fed to the rear of my FG XR6 than a Ranger, but it was still simpler to find the brake light at the rear of the vehicle than perform contortionist acts under the dashboard trying to find the correct wire.

Cheers, Marschy

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »
wasn't there a big thread on this from some auto spark bloke last week or week before?
--
Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld

Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne.
--

Online Marschy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:08:35 PM »
Hello Lost, the question posted by the OP is whether there is a socket under the dash, like in Toyotas and Nissans for plugging a brake controller straight into. The other post does have implications insofar as to how you wire the negative up to the battery from the brake controller, but I will leave that for others to comment on (come in spinner, aka Curious)

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:29:57 AM »
Yes, but like most modern cars, tapping into the brake light feed near the pedal can affect the ABS. The list of cars that they recommend you do not tap into the brake pedal is growing for the P3, and the most common vehicle is Ford.

Whilst you could probably find the feed in the cabin, finding the correct wire is like finding a needle in a hay stack. On the other hand, finding the brake light feed at the rear of the vehicle is simple.

There are more wires fed to the rear of my FG XR6 than a Ranger, but it was still simpler to find the brake light at the rear of the vehicle than perform contortionist acts under the dashboard trying to find the correct wire.

Cheers, Marschy

Sorry my post didn't quite make sense. You're right, tapping into the brake pedal switch won't work as this only delivers a pulse to a body control module   
But there's no sense in running a wire all the way to the rear of the vehicle (exposure to risk) when the brake light harness originates within the cabin

Find us on Facebook

Online Marschy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 09:31:24 AM »
As soon as you find the wire, let others know.

Offline Strider

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »
Thanx for the reply so far guys, but like Marschy said if you know which wire or if/where there is a socket let me know.

Cheers
Alan

Offline RebsWA

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 02:57:29 PM »
Thanx for the reply so far guys, but like Marschy said if you know which wire or if/where there is a socket let me know.

Cheers
Alan

Mate, FWIW I would check with your Ford mob about where to connect. They should know.
I have been following this general topic on other forums and there are other issues (with other brands) when tapping into the the brake wire down the back.
Namely, if you use the manual brake lever the stop lights do not work and if on cruise control it don't cancel.
Not compliant with the ADR's I'm told.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX.  2003 Jayco Freedom Outback.

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 11:20:57 AM »

Cheers
Alan

IN GENERAL, I'd do this:
Step 1: remove rear tail ight, using test light of multimeter, determine colour code for wire that is feeding brake light.
Locate wiring harenss with ing cabin (under carpet etc) then peel back insulation and intercept brake wire accoring to colour code determined in Step 1

Doing this is standard tradesmans' practice to avoid extra wiring dangling along the chassis.

IN PARTICULAR: For vehicles with ABS/EBD/Stability control and other chassis electroncis that are controlled by vehilce sensors and driver input (such as steering yaw and brake pedal activation) vi a BCM or similar...leave it a dealer who has published procedure :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:52:35 PM by GeeTee »

Find us on Facebook

Online Marschy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »
Or run the wire to the brake light at the rear of the vehicle. It works, I know this because I did it in my vehicle.

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »
Or run the wire to the brake light at the rear of the vehicle. It works, I know this because I did it in my vehicle.

Yes it may work but I wouldn't accept that from a tradesperson

Back to Strider's question... I guess no-one knows about Ranger 'plug and play' he was asking for?

Find us on Facebook

Online Marschy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 01:30:58 PM »
Tekonsha 'THE MANUFACTURER' suggest doing this for a range of different vehicles, including some Fords.

And the answer is NO Ranger doesn't have plug and play for brake controllers
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:47:20 PM by Marschy »

Offline RebsWA

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 02:05:03 PM »

Just curious if you have established that cruise is cancelled and the trailer brake lights illuminate from brake pedal and manual application of the brakes.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX.  2003 Jayco Freedom Outback.

Online Marschy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 02:10:10 PM »
I'll send the missus an email and ask her to pose your question to the service department at Stillwell Ford. She works there

Better yet I'll take my sons PX ranger for a spin and let you know the outcome
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:12:37 PM by Marschy »

Online Marschy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 02:58:20 PM »
The issue of the handbrake not deactivating the cruise control was the subject of a recall for all 2009-2011 PK Rangers. My sons PX ranger is Feb 2013 build so shouldn't have this problem but will check anyway.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:00:10 PM by Marschy »

Offline Kennchris

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 07:08:15 PM »
There is a post on the Ford Forum about this, there is diagram from memory that says you can pick up the power at the brake pedal, fairly sure it was the bottom wire on it but would have to have another look to be sure. It was an internal Ford diagram.

Offline Smithyworld

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 12:14:36 PM »
The stop light wires goes to the stop light switch on the break pedal. This is the instructions from ford. Here is a thread on New Ranger.net showing a diagram.

http://www.newranger.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=138&p=14906#p14906

Chris

Ford Ranger Wildtrak and Jayco Outback Eagle 2013

www.chrissmithphotography.com.au

Offline noel_w

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I don't have a plan, that way nothing can go wrong
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 12:25:25 PM »
You need to be a registered user on that forum to see posts. Could you maybe copy & paste here for all to see.
TUG=GQ ST 95 2.8TD, CT=Trackabout Safari 03
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy

Offline Smithyworld

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »
You need to be a registered user on that forum to see posts. Could you maybe copy & paste here for all to see.

Sure thing.

Chris

Ford Ranger Wildtrak and Jayco Outback Eagle 2013

www.chrissmithphotography.com.au