Author Topic: wild boar campers  (Read 36453 times)

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Re: wild boar campers
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »
Just bought a Apple I pod last week. It says on the back of the box designed in California made in China. Don't see many people complaining about them being made in China. Quite a few around the world too from what I believe.

There can be a significant difference in the build quality of products made in China, dependent on the input from the designer/vendor and also factory management and staff training.

I also believe that where the Chinese have an understanding of, and use some of the products they make is critical. They aspire to own an iPhone for instance, but no Chinese family ever has gone offorad in a camper.

Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Crimso

• Tent User
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »
There can be a significant difference in the build quality of products made in China, dependent on the input from the designer/vendor and also factory management and staff training.

I also believe that where the Chinese have an understanding of, and use some of the products they make is critical. They aspire to own an iPhone for instance, but no Chinese family ever has gone offorad in a camper.

The bolded part. You can by an imported "off road trailer" for under $10,000.00 (meaning hard floor rear fold), you can buy an imported "off road trailer" for $14,000.00 - $18,000.00 & there is a huge difference in quality. Wild Boar is not the only company that does them, there are two - three others in SE Qld I have seen. The only difference I can physically see would be the different material used on the tents etc., all the seals are the same as I've seen on locally made items, I have independent suspension on my Lifestyle & the one on the Wild Boar certainly looks as good. They are not light weight junk, I've picked one up to have a close look & was surprised at the weight & thickness of the steel. I have seen the drawbars before they are fitted to the chassis / subframe of the trailer, they were hot dipped gal and from memory 4mm steel, bigger & heavier than on my camper which I have taken on a few nasty tracks.

I'm not a welder or such, I'm a builder, so can't really comment too knowledgeably on the welding, but to me, it looks quite good, all welds look like they have penetrated as needed & are clean & tidy, the bits that the shockies attach to (the hangers?) are very solid (probably 10mm steel from memory) & so on. Like I say, I'm not a welder or engineer etc, but these campers in this price bracket certainly don't look like junk, & the paint job is just a bonus. I have looked at some of the top range campers, AOR, Swag, Kimberly, Cub & others, so I have been under a few over the years. The nearest I can come with an Ausie made camper to this price range is around $29,000.00 - $30,000.00, much cheaper than a few mentioned above, but still out of my reach, so next option is to look at imports.

I remember when Japanese gear was classed as rubbish. And yes, I know the time difference between then & now, but it didn't take long before a hell of a lot of people were driving Japanese vehicles & were quite happy to.
http://www.myswag.org/gallery/d/19406-2/Burrum+Camp.jpg

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 07:27:45 PM »
Anyone that names their CT after a feral pest in Australia doesn't deserve my business!

Saw that doco by David Ireland on the mess they are doing up north.....not good.
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 10:38:37 PM »
What 'cane toad campers'?
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 06:14:47 PM »
What 'cane toad campers'?

The suspension on one of those would be smooth I reckon......
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline burto

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 06:21:23 PM »
I was looking through the comments and there are references to wild Boar campers being the same as other cheap imports however from the photos it appears that the layout is somewhat different to the standard awning design as the awning extends all the way to the hitch resulting in the slide out kitchen being more in the middle and access to the gullwing storage is under cover as opposed to kitchen being stuck in the corner like most of the other cheaper options and gull box outside the awning.

I am currently tossing up between a camptime AX $10K and getting some mods done to the canvas or go for the wild boar WBC 2000 $18K. Are there any other options people have come across that have the larger awning that goes forward to hitch as standard or optional extra around this price range

Offline Crimso

• Tent User
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 09:03:03 PM »
I've seen a couple of other trailers pretty much the same as the Wild Boar, but the tents are, as you say, shorter at the draw bar end & usually have less in the way of electrics. Swag Camper Trailers (not Aussie Swag) is one & another is Aussie Escape, who deal mainly with caravans. There are a coule of others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Offline yumpet

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »
Sounds like a chinese bashing thread more then a thread about a particular camper brand. Personally i quite like the look of the WBC (an no i have no affiliation with WBC or anyone who does) lets face it, 80% of the stuff we use now is built in china, however depending on the budget and specs given it can be as good or better then something built right here, there are some absolute rubbish coming out of there we have all seen it, we looked at MDC (i think it was called) at the rosehill show and they were all shocking, i have never seen such bad workmanship however they had a line up of people ordering them! i looked at SO many different ones and some were good, some were bad and some were great.

i could go on all day about it but i have never seen a WBC in person, i would like too, but the point i wanted to make was just because some manufactures import the bottom of the barrel it doesnt mean that every chinese made camper is Shit (in saying that WBC might be, like i said ive never seen one in person)

Would love to hear from people who have taken them way out west and into the harshest parts of Oz and see if they survive!
04 Patrol dragging a lifestyle platinum on coils

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 11:00:56 AM »
Yes unfortunately the 'beginner' or 'first timers' end of the market is now dominated by poor quality product marketed/sold to people who don't have the experience to know any better and who think a "4X4" sticker is assurance a product is up to scratch. Most of this poor quality product is imported because there's no way a competent Aussie tradesperson will work for a bowl of rice. :)

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline murmar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »
Just a general comment, what's the tow ball weight like?

There are 2 big boxes on the draw bar and the gas bottle. I'd imagine the ball weight would be substantial (one of my pet hates)

Offline Crimso

• Tent User
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 04:59:47 PM »
Just a general comment, what's the tow ball weight like?

There are 2 big boxes on the draw bar and the gas bottle. I'd imagine the ball weight would be substantial (one of my pet hates)

Dunno, never asked the question when I've been looking, would depend on what is put in the boxes. The gullwing box is designed to take a fridge on a slide, though my 60ltr Trailblazer won't fit, so I'd be looking at something smaller & use the bigger one as a freezer. The opposite side to the fridge also has a slide. The other box I'd probably keep the annex & c-mats in there with ropes & pegs etc, so it would depend on what's carried in there & how other items are stored in the trailer body. There is a 100ltr water tank pretty much at the rear end to act as a bit of counter balance, & also the spare wheel is mounted on a swing arm at the rear.

Offline Matt13

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 09:02:17 PM »
Just went away for our first trip with our new WBC. Was great pretty simple to set up considering I have health conditions. The only the thing that was a problem was the Dometic kitchen tap that leaked. Maybe Paul at WBC should have stuck with import tap as the more expensive one leaked. We have spoken to Paul and he is going to fix( swap) what ever the problem. After owning a Windsor rapid, and pinnacle soft floor and doing the cape, tanimi, gibb river, birdsville track prior I will take the WBC down the same paths. Only early days I know, but don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out this trailer will go where other more expensive trailers go.
2005 Windsor Rapid Offroad ( gone)
2010 Pinnacle Offroad Softfloor ( gone)
2013 WIld Boar Hard Floor ( ready to go )

Offline Matt13

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 08:58:59 PM »
Couple months on few trips on, and the trailer has performed just like I thought it would. No worries. It's funny how we all claim were not Aussies if we don't own a Toyota...We claim them like they are our own. I wouldn't have thought the Japanese people aspire to own big four wheel drives, but they are held in high regard over here too.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:05:22 PM by Matt13 »

Offline Matt13

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »
This information is on Wikipedia about all Land Cruisers ever made and the assembly lines where models were made. It says the current 200 series has an assembly line in China, and Japan. Does this mean that all current 200 series are rubbish. I think not.

200 Series

Also called   Toyota Roraima (Venezuela)
Lexus LX570
Production   September 2007–present
Model years   2008–present
Assembly   Toyota Auto Body
Toyota City, Japan
Tahara, Aichi Japan
Tianjin, China
Body style   5-door SUV
Layout   Front engine / four-wheel drive
Engine   
Petrol:
4.0 L V6 1GR-FE petrol
4.6 L V8 1UR-FE petrol[19]
4.7 L V8 2UZ-FE petrol[20]
5.7 L V8 3UR-FE petrol[21]
Turbodiesel:
4.5 L V8 1VD-FTV turbodiesel intercooler
Transmission   6-speed automatic
5-speed automatic
5-speed manual
Wheelbase   2,850 mm (112.2 in)
Length   4,950 mm (194.9 in)
Width   1,970 mm (77.6 in)
Height   1,880 mm (74.0 in)
Curb weight   2,640 kg (5,820 lb)
Related   Lexus LX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 11:42:32 PM »
Hi Matt, any chance of posting up some pics, just eyeballed there facebook page and from what i saw looked pretty impressive for the $$$
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

donpato

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »
Perhaps it comes down to what you expect it to do and what it can do,in other words you get what you pay for.
A hard floor with everthing for 13K,sounds good to me.

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2013, 12:09:26 AM »
Couple months on few trips on, and the trailer has performed just like I thought it would. No worries. It's funny how we all claim were not Aussies if we don't own a Toyota...We claim them like they are our own. I wouldn't have thought the Japanese people aspire to own big four wheel drives, but they are held in high regard over here too.

If you're not doing any real harsh roads they should be fine, just don't expect them to hold together in the rough stuff. A friends chinese camper recently had th independant suspension arm tear away from the thin chassis on a corrugated road. It is only a couple of months old. Just not fit for purpose.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Chris F

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2013, 07:06:27 AM »
Hi Matt,
I think you've copped it unfairly from a few members here. This isn't your first trailer and you seem to have a good idea of what you have bought. You also have done some great trips towing trailers and will know what sort of conditions are out there. Good luck with your health and I hope you have many great trouble free holidays with your WBC. It's a pity the dislike for Chinese products has dominated this thread.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
Hi Matt,
I think you've copped it unfairly from a few members here. This isn't your first trailer and you seem to have a good idea of what you have bought. You also have done some great trips towing trailers and will know what sort of conditions are out there. Good luck with your health and I hope you have many great trouble free holidays with your WBC. It's a pity the dislike for Chinese products has dominated this thread.

X2.

My hardfloor is also an import. Although not perfect, the mods are not too expensive or time consuming to make it capable. My budget 0f $16K (including mods) is looking very safe.  When you take into account that I have included $2000 in that budget for new genny, changing hubs to suite my cruza, battery charger, batteries, brake controller this money would have been spent the same for any new CT purchase.  As the imports are more affordable and if it gets more people out camping and spending time with their families, everyone wins and that is what counts in the end.

Offline weso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • be good or be good at it !!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 64eh.com
wild boar campers
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2013, 06:16:24 PM »
X2.

My hardfloor is also an import. Although not perfect, the mods are not too expensive or time consuming to make it capable. My budget 0f $16K (including mods) is looking very safe.  When you take into account that I have included $2000 in that budget for new genny, changing hubs to suite my cruza, battery charger, batteries, brake controller this money would have been spent the same for any new CT purchase.  As the imports are more affordable and if it gets more people out camping and spending time with their families, everyone wins and that is what counts in the end.

Well bloody said muzz !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cup:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
64 EH(premier sedan)gone but will never be forgotten, 64VAN(windowless panel van),
2008 Nisan Navara, leisure matters ranger hard floor

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2013, 07:34:41 PM »
Well bloody said muzz !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cup:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah thanks Weso. You know what I mean mate as you own one. Enough is enough; I think they are jealous  ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:47:12 PM by muzza01 »

Offline turbojoe

• Tent User
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2013, 02:14:28 PM »
All I asked was had anyone taken delivery of one or seen one . Wow some people get carried away .!!!!!

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2013, 03:34:42 PM »
Anyone that names their CT after a feral pest in Australia doesn't deserve my business!

Saw that doco by David Ireland on the mess they are doing up north.....not good.

that would be one of the silliest comments made on here

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2013, 03:57:15 PM »
Quote from: Paul (SA)
Don't believe much that bloke says... I knew Dave through diving when he ran Cronulla Dive for a few years... as I said, don't believe much he says
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home