Author Topic: LED Torches & Headlamps  (Read 14473 times)

Offline MY0080

• Tent User
  • Get out there in our Great Australian BackYard
LED Torches & Headlamps
« on: March 07, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »
I ordered a few LED Torches and Headlamps from Asia, on eBay the other week. From a few different sellers. Theyre not bad for their money I must say. I think I'll be ordering more. Has anyone else tried these ?
80 Series Landcruiser
Aussie Swag Camper Trailer
Bungarribee 4WD Club

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
Re: LED Torches & Headlamps
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »

I have a 29 lumen LED head torch - brand name starts with a P (anyone?) - and they available at all good camping shops.  They work well. 

The more lumens you have the more you see and the more expensive they are, but in saying that, you can blind someone really well with mine. 

I only use it so I don't have to turn on the big light in the camper and fear waking the dead.  I can't see Christmas coming, but I don't go arse up either.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 04:46:18 PM »
Would be a Pezel Kit_e. I agree they are a good reliable brand.

I also have Led Lenser and find it great. Both brands have proved their worth out in the field at work. We have tried the cheapies with varying degrees of success. Some have been great others not so. It would be luck of the draw I think.

Jas

Offline jnik

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 05:02:45 PM »
I ordered a few LED Torches and Headlamps from Asia, on eBay the other week. From a few different sellers. Theyre not bad for their money I must say. I think I'll be ordering more. Has anyone else tried these ?

Sounds like you're well place to provide a bit of a comparo ... pics, comments, prices and links ... ?

Offline GanG

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • NEDSA
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 05:03:02 PM »
Thats a slippery slope you are walking mate......you start off experimenting,buy 1, then 3 and  then before you know it you are joining candlepower forum, and spending all your play money on new and fancy emitters, and starting to use strange language like CREE, and Lumens, before you know it you will be debating the benefits of 18650 batteries vs CR123

there are some bargains to be had, there is also some crap.............a bit like Chinese camper trailers really :laugh:

I have a Led Lenser H7 head torch as my kick around camp head torch, its not too bad, about 170 lumens but variable output and focus, a good quality all rounder, but not as robust as some others.

My goto torch for when I am in serious country, eg hunting in the Vic High Country and walking out after dark is a spark ST6 at 500 lumens it is sensational, and fully water proof machined aluminum case.

Petzle are good gear but pretty dated designs and their performance is pretty ordinary compared to something like the ST6

hand held torches wolfeyes are worth a look but some serious $$

And yeah I am a bit of a torch nerd :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:07:44 PM by GanG »
Light travels faster than sound............that's why some folks may appear bright until they speak

Offline no address

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 05:11:29 PM »
I have the led lenser, full bore on pencil beam it's a spot light. I mainly use flood beam half throttle which is heaps for cooking and general duties.  ;D Mick

Offline Turbojohn

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 05:22:53 PM »
My fav is led lenser H14. Bit bulky but can burn the retinas out of a possum a hundred meters away >:D
They're a good head torch.

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »
My fav is led lenser H14. Bit bulky but can burn the retinas out of a possum a hundred meters away >:D
They're a good head torch.

Thats the one I use most also. Strong enough to use as a spot light. I also have the P7 and MT7 hand held versions. Great torches.

Jas

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 06:08:14 PM »
I needed one in a hurry the other day so I bought a Varta from Bunnings for $20. Dunno how long it will last but it has 4 white LEDs or 1 red LED for night work. So far so good.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
LED Torches & Headlamps
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 06:10:26 PM »
Have always been a maglite fan and have a 4D, 3D, and the lids have 3AA all have LED conversions.

Picked up  2 Led Lenser P7 off eBay, very impressed, I think I will retire the Maglites....

Offline cp

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 06:48:38 PM »
Got my 1600 lumens Trustfire single LED torch from ebay, uses 2x 18650, $30 delivered (you can get them around $25 now).  They are bright as and well worth the $$.  Had it over a year now and still going well.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:26:37 PM by cp »

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 08:33:31 PM »
A mate was given an LED Lenser P7 (I think) that originally blew my socks off for the amount of light such a small torch produces. Next time we went away he had a $15 version from Total Tools which was a better torch and for a fraction of the price of the P7. We now own several, and would highly recommend them.

Offline Chriso100

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »
Another vote for the H7, just brilliant, and not too expensive.

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
LED Torches & Headlamps
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 07:14:08 AM »
Have always been a maglite fan and have a 4D, 3D, and the lids have 3AA all have LED conversions.

Picked up  2 Led Lenser P7 off eBay, very impressed, I think I will retire the Maglites....

I like the idea of a drop in conversion for my old 4d maglite. Any suggestions for good value product?
2010 Kia Sorrento, 2013 Outback Swan

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »
Quote from: MY0080
Tried which exactly?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Turbojohn

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 09:09:22 PM »
Thats the one I use most also. Strong enough to use as a spot light. I also have the P7 and MT7 hand held versions. Great torches.

Jas

Haha going to have to show this to the wife! Just to prove im not the only one with a torch fetish!  :cheers:

Offline Big Nath

• "hows ya bum for grubs"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
LED Torches & Headlamps
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 09:25:26 PM »
I too am a Magritte fan. I have 2 x 3d sell torches. Not sure of the lumens, however it hits over the 300m mark. Best of all, they were $35 each.....

Sent from my iPad4 using Tapatalk
NAKED 2012 Pathfinder ST in Auto, Scan Guage, Polyair Airbags, 80CH Uniden UHF, Leisure Matters Camper!

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »
To make the best use of your old maglites this is a great mod to get them up to a decent brightness.
You can DIY and buy all the bits off eBay, but there is some machining of components involved, or order a complete drop in unit.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-1000-lumen-xm-l-t6-maglite-mod-voltage-monitor-parts-complete-light-59581.html

Regards
Mark
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 09:49:01 AM »
With headlamps in particular I got some money for Christmas and pondered for a couple of months on what to get that was just for me.
So after much deliberation I bought the Lenser H14R (rechargeable) headlamp, (about $110 off ebay through a singaporeian authorised dealer) I've bought various chinese knock-offs in the past but and wanted a good one this time. Was the best money I've ever spent on a light, use it for everything including a spotlight when out hunting/shooting.

http://www.ledlenser.com.au/products/high-performance-line/h-series/h14r/
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
I thought my Fenix with a 485 metre range was good until I found the latest from Thrunite - not cheap but 840 metre range from 1376 lumens

http://www.thrunite-store.com/flashlights/thrunite-flashlights/tn-series-light/thrower-king-thrunite-tn31-cree-xm-l2-u2-led-flashlight-1376lumen.html
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »
This is the big LED Lensor, badly want one but the wife says I have no need to illuminate valleys! I say whats "need" got to do with it?  The $500 they are is more the stumbling block.

Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 05:49:28 AM »
I thought my Fenix with a 485 metre range was good until I found the latest from Thrunite - not cheap but 840 metre range from 1376 lumens

http://www.thrunite-store.com/flashlights/thrunite-flashlights/tn-series-light/thrower-king-thrunite-tn31-cree-xm-l2-u2-led-flashlight-1376lumen.html

Just what I needed to blind the motorist who get agro when I pull them over for committing offences. Lol
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline ozmoose

• Swag User
LED Torches & Headlamps
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 09:06:13 PM »
Santa is going to get me the H5/P7 combo from BCF for $79. Can't wait to try them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Wortho

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 11:58:07 AM »
If you can wait a month for shipping then these are amazing for the price of $3.99. i have 4 of them now and very well made and very bright for such a small single AA LED torch.
http://www.banggood.com/Ultrafire-CREE-XPE-Q5-300LM-MINI-LED-Flashlight-1xAA-Or-14500-p-76701.html?utm_design=12&utm_source=emarsys&utm_medium=weekend07_email&utm_campaign=newsletter-emarsys&utm_content=xuxu&emst=dINXFWCi4g_10967_739359_9

EDIT. Looks like they went up a dollar  :'(
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:00:47 PM by Wortho »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home