Author Topic: Travel - long term...  (Read 6147 times)

Offline Wunderlust

• Tent User
    • NoSetPlan.com.au
Travel - long term...
« on: February 19, 2013, 09:49:12 PM »
My gut says I have reached a crossroads in life. At 36, I'm bored with my current lifestyle. Yes I have a very well paid job (thanks wa mining!), but I also think there is more to life than work. Lifes not a dress rehearsal so to speak.

I'd love to hear what others think about giving up a well paid job, company car and 'all the comforts' it affords for a life more uncertain and perhaps more frugal to hit a life of a few years on the road?

The Missus is also talking babies soon to add to any decision...

Want to know what others think on such a position or have done!
No Set Plan - Our Aussie Adventurehttp://www.nosetplan.com.au

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Travel - long term...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:04:50 PM »
Do it!  ;D

Offline LeighC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:27:13 PM »
Wunderlust you pose an excellent query.  I go by the saying you can't take it with you.  I've had a few good conversations with ldsparrow as they took the leap and did what you're contemplating. I suppose you need to decide where your comfort level sits.   With any luck  your job has afforded you good equity of your house from which you could still keep this .... Or do you use this opportunity to sell, have the adventure and when you come home, wherever this may be, you start again.

In terms of travelling without kids, it has its merits, as does dragging the kids along for the adventure of their life.  When you travel you will see many different 'family' configurations.  I recall chatting to some senior travellers one time who commented on the fact they wished they had done their travelling when they were younger as their fitness didn't allow them to get into some of the places.

Great thread and am interested to hear others thoughts

Cheers,
Leigh
Prado 150 series
Pioneer Argyle SE

Offline Wunderlust

• Tent User
    • NoSetPlan.com.au
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:33:36 PM »

Offline Wunderlust

• Tent User
    • NoSetPlan.com.au
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 10:39:23 PM »
Wunderlust you pose an excellent query.  I go by the saying you can't take it with you.  I've had a few good conversations with ldsparrow as they took the leap and did what you're contemplating. I suppose you need to decide where your comfort level sits.   With any luck  your job has afforded you good equity of your house from which you could still keep this .... Or do you use this opportunity to sell, have the adventure and when you come home, wherever this may be, you start again.

In terms of travelling without kids, it has its merits, as does dragging the kids along for the adventure of their life.  When you travel you will see many different 'family' configurations.  I recall chatting to some senior travellers one time who commented on the fact they wished they had done their travelling when they were younger as their fitness didn't allow them to get into some of the places.

Great thread and am interested to hear others thoughts

Cheers,
Leigh

A good point regarding age... Equity should no be an issue... Also interested to know how many folks leave and never return!

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:55:24 PM »
Bored! That's what kids are for and a couple of sets of twins should see you right. Just not sure about the missus doing all the talking though but bear in mind this is a very obliging technical help forum  O0
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

KingBilly

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:03:40 AM »
Mate, I wish you every success but isn't 36 a bit young to be getting bored with life?  My suggestion would be to take a bit of leave, even unpaid if available, and head away for a couple of months without selling up, quitting jobs etc.  Basically don't shut the gate behind you.  Leave your options open.

Friends managed a big lap in four months.  A bit quick and they didn't see much of the east coast but they got it out of their system.  Maybe after a couple of months of travelling you'll be ready to settle down again for the next stage of your life and raise a child or two or whatever.  If instead you decide on another course in life, then sell up and quit jobs etc.

Good luck
KB

Offline Patt31

• Tent User
    • James and Patsyannes big aussie adventure
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 10:08:28 AM »
you only live once, and you tend to spend what you earn, we have taken 12 months off work and are currently living the dream and travelling around aus.

It is amazing how much you waste, my vote is to do it now before the kids come along, (but in saying that we are doing the trip with our 4 yr old) once they start school it limits your travels. (I moved 26 times by year 10 so I know what it is like to be dragged around aus as a kid and I will not put my kids through that)

You can get work as you travel around, if you run short you just stay somewhere a little longer and save up your money again. The hardest bit is getting the hubby use to not spending what he wants when he wants.

Happy travels :D
Test driving early retirement - every chance we get :)

Toyota Landcruiser with extras, cape york hard floor camper trailer...

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 10:13:32 AM »
Quote from: Wunderlust
The Missus is also talking babies soon to add to any decision...
do it before this will be much easier and quicker...

I agree with Kingbilly... 36 is nothing

Unless your set for life, I'd stick with it... the high paid jobs may not be around when you get back.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
We did it left the job an company car in Melbourne and did a half lap around Oz and lived in our goldstream for 5 months.

It was the best thing we ever did apart from what we saw we grew as a couple and probably talked the most we have ever in our relationship. We landed in WA and mining has been good for us am currently doing some contract work for Chevron but when that is up it will be hard to keep us here as we both have itchy feet again

One of the best descisions i made threw me right out of my comfort zone and i learned a lot
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Young Nomad, Travelling
    • Tripigy
Travel - long term...
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 10:54:39 AM »
Wunderlust, I am 37 however in a different financial scenario to you, but we must be the same. The wife and I have made the decision to do a full lap or more late this year. We are in the progress of changing our business/lifestyle right now.

I think u should go for it. You never know what life brings, and if you're bored go try something different. I am sure you will find work and something you are passionate about whilst on the road or upon your return.
2015 LC200 - Snowy - Sahara with all the mods.
Custom built Off-road Caravan.

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 04:29:38 PM »
Everytime I get fed up with it all, I say to the wife "lets go and pick apples"

I have up q great job, did up my camper, was all set to go, then chickened out and took another job.
A job I hated and was stuck in.

Threw that away and came home and intended to travel Australia, 15 months later I'm still procrastinating (and dreaming) and using my house renovations as an excuse.

Y wire would give it all up tomorrow and head off tomorrow arvo, I'm a bit more cautious than that. Also at the same age of 37,trying for a child, no success yet, we often think now is the time before having more responsibilities .......

Such a dilemma, easy for me to say just do it, but haven't yet done it myself. I know the indecision and anxiety about 'what if......'

Following this thread closely now.!!

Good luck mate!!
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Young Nomad, Travelling
    • Tripigy
Travel - long term...
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 06:01:45 PM »
I should have mentioned we have 2 kids aged 8 and 10. My wife approached the school, and they are going to fully support us whilst being away. The kids once miss anything, and the school etc has been extremely supportive. They did mention they prefer not to do it when the kids are in high school. Which is one reason why we are going this year, as my oldest starts high school in 2015.

My sister is a teacher, and kids really love the travel. I think anything is possible you just have to put your mind to it. :)

I'm hoping I meet you on the road sometime wunderlust.
2015 LC200 - Snowy - Sahara with all the mods.
Custom built Off-road Caravan.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 07:01:28 PM »
I am 37 as well.

I don't have a good job.

I have two businesses that I am trying to get to the stage that I can run them by remote control, but am finding that more difficult than anticipated, particularly the real estate one where you need to have face to face conversations with people.

My kids are 5 and 7. Both are very scholastic and am concerned about pulling them out of school for a year even though they are young and will learn alot on the road.

My wife and I spent a year travelling before we had a house and businesses to look after, and personally I am not so much motivated by money to not drop everything and go, but the Mrs, and most women, particularly after they have kids need that security that a job and a mortgage provide.

If you can financially manage to keep your home without working, whilst you don't have kids I reckon go for it, then go for it. Rent the thing out for 12 months and if you decide to land somewhere else then sell it or do whatever is right at the time.

There are families from this forum who are doing these trips on the smell of an oily rag and good luck to them.

I have a mate who has alot of IGA supermarkets and he has a cruiser with rooftop tent and a van that is currently parked up in WA somewhere. They just fly home and back whenever they can get the time to do a bit more.  So there are several ways to do this to suit your circumstances.

Whatever you chose to do good luck with it.

Cheers Nomad.
 :cheers:

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
Good luck with your decision we would love to do more travelling too for us there are other things to take into consideration no kids but 3 horses that I dont want to sell, a cat and 2 dogs if we went we would want to take the dogs even though it would limit some places we could go as they are our furkids.  Plus still paying mortgage.  Hope you go as some said even if its only a few months

Offline Huwie

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 08:35:44 AM »
We were in a similar situation to you and rather than give everything up I managed to wrangle some flexibility out of work and used up some stockpiled leave to do a 6 month trip. Wifey took 6 months leave without pay. We put everything we owned into a storage shed, packed the 2 year old and 4 year old into the expanda and did a half lap. Everyone we knew said we were mad but I can tell you it was the best thing we've ever done. The kids grew in confidence and learned how to make friends, wifey surprised me and adapted and even enjoyed it, I got the wanderlust out of my system.

In the end 6 months was long enough for us and we were relieved to be back in a house at the end of it. The trip changed me a bit in that I wouldn't want to take a year or two off now and then have to work well into my 60's. Instead we have a plan to pay the house off and retire early and it's the grey nomad life for us. Smartmoney.gov.au website has us on track for the lifestyle we will want and hopefully we can retire once the kids are old enough in our early 50's.

I think there's a window once you have kids but before they start school, it was such a positive experience for us that I now say it should be compulsory for young families to do a few months on the road together, you'll really get to know each other...

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 12:25:08 PM »
Bunyip and I are 39 but my children are 20, 18, 12. So for us the magic age is 44. Kids all grown up, and it will be just down to the two of us and the fur child. I would be quite happy to sell up everything and hit the road. Especially when its only us to worry about.

Shhh....... don't tell Bunyip he will have a real estate agent on our door step >:D

LB
2017 BT-50 GT
Kimberley Kamper Platinum 2013

Offline stepheng

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 12:35:39 PM »
Nothing like a mid life crisis to make you rethink your life...About a year ago (I was 40), I was feeling this way (but had three kids) and decided to take some time off work to do some travel. We loved it and could have done more..I had a good job, paying well and great conditions (was a seniorish public servant).. I kept turning up to work and seeing people hating their job but staying cos of the conditions and in 5, 10 years they were going to get a good pension,,,,they are just wasting their life away.

Recently a relative of mine passed away, youngish and he told me live life cos spending years in a job you hate is demoralising, travel, love and have a good time. We are not on this earth to be a slave doing something you hate.

I have chucked my job in and spending more time with the kids and family...at this point don't have as much cash but I am not cranky all the time or kicking the cat....Change is a good thing.

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 12:38:24 PM »
Mate, I wish you every success but isn't 36 a bit young to be getting bored with life?  My suggestion would be to take a bit of leave, even unpaid if available, and head away for a couple of months without selling up, quitting jobs etc.  Basically don't shut the gate behind you.  Leave your options open.

Friends managed a big lap in four months.  A bit quick and they didn't see much of the east coast but they got it out of their system.  Maybe after a couple of months of travelling you'll be ready to settle down again for the next stage of your life and raise a child or two or whatever.  If instead you decide on another course in life, then sell up and quit jobs etc.

Good luck
KB

X2
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Wortho

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 04:57:41 PM »
I bumped into these guys at the start of their 12 month around Oz trip in 2010 http://www.donewaiting.com.au
Then about 6 months ago they pulled up next to us at a NP campsite on the NSW mid north coast (what a coincidence). They were on there way to stay with relo's and in the same rig but had finished the big trip.
I stopped for a chat and it seems that the trip was a big success and they had since settled in QLD. They had no regrets and only praise for the decision they made.

Me and the missus turn 50 this year so we are probably going to do a 6 month trip of Oz and look towards a retirement somewhere between 55 & 60 subject to how the Super looks ; )
Oh there are a couple of Europe trips and plans to go back to Africa again somewhere in between as well.

My view is go for it as you only regret the things you don't do as the saying goes ; )

Cheers
Mark

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:04:02 PM by Wortho »

Offline Wunderlust

• Tent User
    • NoSetPlan.com.au
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 08:42:18 AM »
Thanks for all the positive replies. I'm going to have to mull this all over!

I can't see any real bad points but I do worry about career on my return and how it would be viewed. That's probably the major drawback I can see.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 10:17:06 AM »
Have a look at the Wandering Jocks Blog, Myswag members. Theyre doing something similar.  Its amazing what you can fall into by way of jobs whilst on the road.

http://www.thewanderingjocks.blogspot.com.au/

:cheers:

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »

Shhh....... don't tell Bunyip he will have a real estate agent on our door step >:D

LB

10am Monday, will let youknw how much we can get  ;D
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline shootar

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 02:07:27 PM »
do it mate. i'm currently in the midst of a couple of realestate projects that will set me up for a good stint. 15 years in the same job have left me in a great position but also somewhat bored, even though others would probably argue that its anything but boring.

don't burn your bridges but take 12 months leave and relax. you may come to realise that the grass isnt greener and you will appreciate your current position more on your return!

Offline ldsparrow

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • www.1yearoff.com.au
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 03:18:03 PM »
Do it as you will always regret it if you dont...

We sold our house, left our city jobs and hit the road for 12 months in 2012 and will never regret it for a second.  At the end of our travels (4 weeks ago) we relocated to Brisbane from Melbourne, we both have new jobs and settle on a house in a couple of months so you soon get back to where you started from.
Blog: www.1yearoff.com.au