Author Topic: Victorian Fires  (Read 92897 times)

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better
Re: Victorian Fires
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2013, 04:26:27 PM »
We have smoke and ash landing on the house at the moment. Not good out there, keep safe

GG

Offline B&B

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »
We have smoke and ash landing on the house at the moment. Not good out there, keep safe

GG

You are a LONG way from the fire.  Not good!
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »
Out of control Vearings Rd Craigieburn heading towards Epping. Taken from my place miles away.

View from our veranda, listening on the scanner she's taken hold and is headed into suburbia.

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
Camper - Customline

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2013, 08:04:04 PM »
This is just crazy. Victoria burns whilst Queensland drowns. I wish we could send you fellas some rain. Stay safe people.

Nomad.

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2013, 08:06:07 PM »
This is just crazy. Victoria burns whilst Queensland drowns. I wish we could send you fellas some rain. Stay safe people.

Nomad.
and insurance jumps on the next rocket to mars.
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2013, 08:13:29 PM »

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:44:58 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
Victorian Fires
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2013, 09:53:14 PM »
The footage of the Donnybrook fire was amazing, the speed it was moving would have been terrifying on the ground.

Meanwhile the Grampians fire tripled in size overnight.

Let's hope the storms forecast for tomorrow don't bring more lightning striked

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2013, 09:00:54 AM »
The footage of the Donnybrook fire was amazing, the speed it was moving would have been terrifying on the ground.

The majority of people will always under estimate the speed a fire can really go with the wrong conditions until they see it first hand.

Meanwhile the Grampians fire tripled in size overnight.

:( so that trip is knackered 100% then :(

Let's hope the storms forecast for tomorrow don't bring more lightning striked

Very grey here at Blackburn
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR022.loop.shtml
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Bobsan

• Tent User
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
We are down wind to the Grampians fire, smoke all day, visibility down to 1 mile, not good
Mits Challenger.
Bushranger Rear fold  Camper

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2013, 05:53:22 PM »
We are down wind to the Grampians fire, smoke all day, visibility down to 1 mile, not good

More for you :( Be safe.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bushfire-threatens-farming-communities-20130221-2esg1.html
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2013, 01:54:30 PM »
... Easter.

One home has been lost and several more are under direct threat as a bushfire rages out of control in Victoria’s west.

The fire is burning 80 kilometres north-west of Geelong in the Dereel area, and is travelling in a southerly direction towards Corindhap and Barunah Plain North.

A State Bushfire Control Centre spokeswoman said the fire has spread to 150 hectares and although no official evacuation has yet occurred, the situation is being monitored closely, with 45 trucks and two aircraft on standby.

Country Fire Authority is warning residents to stay alert and check their bushfire plans.

The fire is expected to have an impact on Warrambine, Barunah Park and Corindhap within the next hour.

Kylie Ryan's family has a property in Dereel as well as land on Ferrers Road.

"My uncle's out there trying to get to the property at the moment, he's trying to get his two dogs and two cats out," she told the Ballarat Courier.

"He was in town this morning and didn't know about it.

"We tried to evacuate stock off the block in Dereel the other day because there was a fire warning.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/environment/home-lost-as-fire-rages-in-states-west-20130327-2gtk8.html#ixzz2Oi0lYYfU
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2014, 03:39:19 PM »
Not going to be a good week. Hope people keep their wits about them and piss off early instead of waiting this season....

AAP

An out-of-control grassfire could impact towns around the Trawalla area in central Victoria, fire authorities say.

An emergency warning has been issued for Brewster, Chepstowe, Mount Emu and Mena Park.

MORE TO COME
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2014, 12:36:01 PM »
Looks like some f!@#wit has lit up the Hume Fwy again

Up to seven fires have started along the Hume Freeway between Wallan Rd and Craigieburn Rd ramp, Craigieburn. They are believed to be suspicious.

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/warnings-and-advice/index.html?inUrl=websites_detail_2442798.html

This is a Watch and Act message issued by Country Fire Authority for Donnybrook, Epping, Kalkallo, Lalor, Somerton, Roxburgh Park, Campbellfield, Craigieburn.

There are multiple fires along the Hume highway stretching from Beveridge towards the Metropolitan Ring Road.

These grassfire are currently not yet under control.

Stay safe Scarps and V8CRSA

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
Camper - Customline

Offline ScarpsD40

• Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA Good Scott
Victorian Fires
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »

Up to seven fires have started along the Hume Freeway between Wallan Rd and Craigieburn Rd ramp, Craigieburn. They are believed to be suspicious.

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/warnings-and-advice/index.html?inUrl=websites_detail_2442798.html

This is a Watch and Act message issued by Country Fire Authority for Donnybrook, Epping, Kalkallo, Lalor, Somerton, Roxburgh Park, Campbellfield, Craigieburn.

There are multiple fires along the Hume highway stretching from Beveridge towards the Metropolitan Ring Road.

thnx D4D, I'm in Bris and not home til tonight. I've been watching all week and freaked a bit when the Darraweit Guim/Old Sydney Rd fire started late last night. Luckily still have two sons and nephew living at home and have the house fire ready.  Watching from afar, it appears all emergency services are quick to respond and act, so as to limit damage, but not helpful when idiots are at large......
It’s a strange new world that we now live in🤔 luckily some things are still predictable, like the size of the campfire when camping with bad Scott😉

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2014, 01:30:45 PM »
:(

An emergency warning has been issued for a community in far-eastern Victoria as an out-of-control bushfire burns in the area.

The CFA says the fast-moving bushfire is travelling in a easterly direction towards Club Terrace, near Mallacoota.

Club Terrace and the surrounding area could be hit anytime within the next one to two hours, a warning message issued at 1.40pm (AEDT) on Friday says.

Spot fires and ember attacks are expected and leaving now is the safest option, the CFA says.

The Princes Highway between Orbost and Cann River is expected to close soon.

Relief centres have been set up in Orbost and Cann River.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2014, 02:09:36 PM »
We were staying in Halls Gap but came home last night. 
Today they evacuated the town.
We spent Wednesday driving through the areas now on fire, including Roses Gap where the death occurred.
My iPhone Fire-watch app was still monitoring that area last night while I was asleep in my own bed in Melbourne.
I was woken at 1.30am by an SMS warning for Wartook which was in my "Watch Area" advising it was too late to evacuate!

Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI  & Jurgens Jindabyne.
Landcruiser,Landcruiser,Patrol,Touareg,Patrol,Touareg!

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2014, 02:16:27 PM »
One dead in Wartook
Mazda BT-50 GT, Olympic Marathon 19.6 van

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline V8CRSA

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Just waiting to hit the open road again......
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2014, 09:50:58 PM »

Cheers Mate,

All good this end, brought back memories of last year sitting at work and watching the happenings both around home and campbellfield.
Was a little worrying to see the fire we had last night just over the hill from Scarps and us,we had 2 close calls last year in the same area.
My wife drove home through the fires along the hume today, and she said it looks like someone has gone out of their way to try and set the whole northern suburbs alight.
I really wish I could get my hands on these people lighting these fires.............they wouldn't do it again.

cheers Matt
2013 GXL TTD 200 SERIES CRUISER
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
Not quite "ATS" but working on it

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2014, 06:02:02 AM »
This year the CFA is using a pounce strategy on all scrub/grass fires . The 1st call 5 Tankers then keep them coming in groups of 5 till told to stand down . This puts a lot of units on the fire ground or in transit to . lts so much better to send them home 1/2 way there than to be overwhelmed & need more . Also there are choppers & planes on standby ready to Rock & Roll .Theres a lot of people working hard out there  , Stay Safe  :cup:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2014, 02:01:04 PM »
My wife drove home through the fires along the hume today, and she said it looks like someone has gone out of their way to try and set the whole northern suburbs alight.

Have to agree, I drove the Hume Fwy today and it sure looks like someone was lighting fires as they drove outbound.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
Camper - Customline

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2014, 06:00:12 PM »
Missed this one in the High Country

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/warnings-and-advice/index.html?inUrl=websites_detail_2452251.html

Issued For: Enochs Point, Jamieson, Karralika Heights, Kevington, Knockwood, Matlock, St Clair, Ten Mile, The Oaks, The Triangle, Taylor Bay, A1 Mine Settlement, Eildon, Gaffneys Creek, Woods Point, The Springs, Bonnie Doon, Lake Eildon

Fire Origin: 15 KM WNW MATLOCK

Incident Name: BIG RIVER - FRENCHMANS CREEK T

Issued: 19/01/14 6:30 PM

This Advice message is being issued by Department of Environment and Primary Industries for Enochs Point, Jamieson, Karralika Heights, Kevington, Knockwood, Matlock, St Clair, Ten Mile, The Oaks, The Triangle, Taylor Bay, A1 Mine Settlement, Eildon, Gaffneys Creek, Woods Point, The Springs, Bonnie Doon, Lake Eildon.

Firefighters are working in steep country on the bushfire  15 KM WNW MATLOCK . 

The fire has burnt 258 hectares and is not yet under control.  Fire is still active.

Control line construction and backburning operations have continued today.
This work has generated a significant level of smoke, which will be visible to surrounding communities. Residents may also smell smoke.

There is currently no threat to communities, but you should continue to stay informed and monitor conditions.

Campers along the Upper Big River Road have been advised to leave the area.

Motorists traveling in the area are urged to take additional care due to the increased presence of emergency vehicles, machinery and smoke.

Big River Road remains closed to all traffic except emergency vehicles between the Warburton-Woods Point Road, Cambarville and the Eildon-Jamieson Road.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
Camper - Customline

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2014, 09:14:22 PM »
Missed this one in the High Country

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/warnings-and-advice/index.html?inUrl=websites_detail_2452251.html

Issued For: Enochs Point, Jamieson, Karralika Heights, Kevington, Knockwood, Matlock, St Clair, Ten Mile, The Oaks, The Triangle, Taylor Bay, A1 Mine Settlement, Eildon, Gaffneys Creek, Woods Point, The Springs, Bonnie Doon, Lake Eildon

Fire Origin: 15 KM WNW MATLOCK

Incident Name: BIG RIVER - FRENCHMANS CREEK T

Issued: 19/01/14 6:30 PM

This Advice message is being issued by Department of Environment and Primary Industries for Enochs Point, Jamieson, Karralika Heights, Kevington, Knockwood, Matlock, St Clair, Ten Mile, The Oaks, The Triangle, Taylor Bay, A1 Mine Settlement, Eildon, Gaffneys Creek, Woods Point, The Springs, Bonnie Doon, Lake Eildon.

Firefighters are working in steep country on the bushfire  15 KM WNW MATLOCK . 

The fire has burnt 258 hectares and is not yet under control.  Fire is still active.

Control line construction and backburning operations have continued today.
This work has generated a significant level of smoke, which will be visible to surrounding communities. Residents may also smell smoke.

There is currently no threat to communities, but you should continue to stay informed and monitor conditions.

Campers along the Upper Big River Road have been advised to leave the area.

Motorists traveling in the area are urged to take additional care due to the increased presence of emergency vehicles, machinery and smoke.

Big River Road remains closed to all traffic except emergency vehicles between the Warburton-Woods Point Road, Cambarville and the Eildon-Jamieson Road.
Was keeping a close eye on his one whilst camping earlier this week.Had a bit of smoke haze that's it luckily.

BD

Offline Vk3bq

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2014, 09:22:32 PM »

grampians fire this afternoon from near dadswell bridge.
-- 2012 Prado D4D  --  '05 OutbackCamper  --  VK3BQ  --  HFRadioClub Selcal 0172  --  VKS737 Selcal 0172 --

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2014, 09:43:12 PM »
So there seems to have been some sensationalism in regards to "Halls Gap Zoo" by the media in regards to these fires.
All in all I am just glad that all the animals and the people at the Zoo and surrounding neighbors are safe.
I still love going there.  ;D

(Copy and Paste from Halls Gap Zoo Facebook page)

""PERSONAL MESSAGE FROM THE OWNER

We would like to personally thank the public for their messages of support and well wishes during this stressful and difficult time. That being said we would like to clarify some of the issues raised by concerned people.
Most importantly in regards to the TV coverage of Greg (myself) saying that we would select certain animals and go to the safety of the dam.
We were asked by the CFA media controller during the evacuation meeting in Halls Gap to have the media out to the zoo to explain the plans in place at the Zoo. The four TV crews were here for over an hour during which time it was explained to them ON CAMERA that we had an extensive fire plan developed in conjunction with the CFA which included fire tracks, clearing around the perimeter fence of the property to aid in halting the advance of the fire and that all the animals, where needed, have cooling systems which includes having a generator placed down at the supply pump in the event of electricity being lost.
The question was asked if we had plans in place for the worst case scenario that if the fire was out of control in the Zoo what would happen. The response to this was in the unlikely event of this outcome happening and we had to flee to save human life we would take the most critically endangered species in vehicles down to the dam. To our utter dismay the media decided to edit this and portray this worst case scenario as our only fire plan.
I will never go out of my way to help the TELEVISION MEDIA out ever again as this was the most disgraceful case of sensationalism and lies you can imagine, while I was spending all this time with the media my time would have been much better spent with preparations but I was doing the CFA Media Division a favor.

At the time when the media was here on Friday we only had Allison and Jacinta feeding animals and checking water sprinklers etc, Yvonne handling the office and Greg taking the media around on the property as the other staff members had decided to leave due to their own personal fire plans and other staff members that did ring and offer to come out could not do so due to the road closures.
On the day and overnight we had 9 CFA fire trucks patrolling the property as well having a CFA quick fill pump set up at our dam for all the fire vehicles in the area to use to fill up if required. I had spent well over 40 minutes grading a track into the dam for the CFA to use on the day with our Caterpillar loader which was also offered to the CFA incident controller for use that day anywhere in the district for use in fire control.

Some people have questioned as to why we didn't evacuate the animals in the 4 hour window that we had from when the evacuation order was given.
Firstly if we did attempt to catch and box up these animals in 44 degree heat they would have died from heat stress.
Secondly how could we transport them out when the roads were closed by the police and as you all know the advice given is not to travel during a fire event.
Thirdly think seriously of the logistics, how would it even be remotely possible for 4 people to catch and move them and where would the animals go, the other zoos couldn't accept them for quarantine reasons.
Fourthly should I have forced the other staff members to stay against their wishes and then commit a crime by driving on potentially dangerous roads?
And most importantly we have a fire plan developed over many years and that has cost many $thousand to implement that, in this case, worked perfectly and will do so in the future.

There have been a lot of comments in regard to the zoo being located in a bushfire zone. The reason the zoo is successful is due to its beautiful location and can these people tell me where in Victoria there is a 100% safe location. This business has operated for 31 years and has never been directly impacted by a fire so just maybe it is in the correct place.

A big part of our day was also spent constantly patrolling the zoo watching out for ember attack and we had two vehicles equipped with fire carts/pumps to put out fires started by these as well as wet hessian sacks/buckets etc to smother them in case we couldn't get a vehicle close enough.

As I am writing this our neighbours from across the road just walked in to thank me for building a fire break around their home with earthmoving equipment on Friday, they were away in Melbourne at the time and have just arrived home to be surprised by the work that had been done in their absence by other neighbours and myself.

To have read the hate filled and negative comments posted about ourselves and our decisions is incredibly disheartening as between Yvonne, myself and our staff we have dedicated the past 6 years of our life to endangered species breeding and are fully committed to the welfare of both our animals and life on this planet in general.

We fund all of our conservation work out of our pockets and receive NO government funding.

Lastly rather than posting ill informed and judgmental postings why don't you offer support to people going through an incredibly stressful time and who could be faced with having to make heart wrenching decisions at a time that their own life could be under threat.

We cannot express enough our heartfelt gratitude to the CFA and DEPI fire crews who continue to fight these and other fires, as well as being incredibly proud of all of our dedicated staff.

Yours
Greg Culell""
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!