Author Topic: Victorian Fires  (Read 96708 times)

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
Re: Victorian Fires
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2013, 10:03:22 AM »
Looks like this one still has some burning to do.

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/winds-set-to-fan-fires-as-mercury-climbs-20130207-2e00r.html

Latest hotspot data shows a fair few of them outside control lines.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:13:44 AM by Mace »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2013, 10:19:19 AM »
Looks like this one still has some burning to do.

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/winds-set-to-fan-fires-as-mercury-climbs-20130207-2e00r.html

Latest hotspot data shows a fair few of them outside control lines.
its interesting how it has disappeared out of the media...
There are still some big fires going... I suppose houses aren't burning down at the moment, so not "News" worthy :(
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2013, 01:42:17 PM »
Fire crews are battling to control large bushfires that have broken containment lines in the state’s east amid high temperatures.

The Aberfeldy fire, near Licola, north-east of Mount Baw Baw, became more active because of a north-westerly wind, a spokesman from the State Bushfire Control Centre said.

The fire broke the control lines and crews were mopping up to keep it in check, he said.

The Country Fire Authority expects that the fire will have an impact on the communities of Glenfalloch and Wollangarra until 2.30pm. Residents in those communities are urged to follow their bushfire survival plans.

The Heyfield-Licola Road is closed at the intersection with Glenmaggie Point Road.

Large plumes of smoke are visible through the region.

The Harrietville fire is burning in inaccessible countryside, the spokesman said, and aircraft were being used to control it.

The CFA advised that an area including the Great Alpine Road, Dargo High Plains Road, including Hotham Heights, Dinner Plain and the Wongungarra River, north of Dargo, was unsafe to enter, and anyone there should leave.

The Great Alpine Road is closed between Harrietville and Dinner Plain and the Dargo High Plains Road is closed between Dargo and Great Alpine Road.

Both fires were creating spot fires, where embers jump from the main fire and spark new blazes.

The spokesman said that although temperatures in the west of the state had dropped after a change in conditions, that change was not expected to reach the state’s east.

Fire crews will monitor the situation through the afternoon and night, he said

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/bushfire-bears-down-on-alpine-towns-20130207-2e09o.html
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »
Still a lot of heat in that one too.

i think the landgate sateliite stuff reloads every two hours or so. The Hotham fire image has certainly changed a little bit since I uploaded the first one this morning.

You can see the Australia wide view at:

http://firewatch.landgate.wa.gov.au/landgate_firewatch_public.asp

Then click in the map on the spot where you want to zoom into.  its a bit slow, but pretty accurate.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »
Quote from: Mace
Still a lot of heat in that one too.

i think the landgate sateliite stuff reloads every two hours or so. The Hotham fire image has certainly changed a little bit since I uploaded the first one this morning.

Sadly I think there is much poo going to happen yet but again not hearing much on it, and will hear less now with the shock news that there are drugs in sport.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »
I cant believe these fires are still going...

The fire has forced the cancellation of the Cool Summer Festival, scheduled for the weekend after next.

The Festival – featuring 21 bands including the four-sister band Stonefield, triple J Unearthed favourite Loon Lake and Melbourne duo Dune – announced the cancellation on Monday with ‘‘heavy hearts’’.

The organisers said a contigency plan to relocate the festival off the mountain ‘‘would not be possible due to the number of legal requirements and safety measures’’.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/music/festival-canned-as-alpine-fire-danger-spreads-20130211-2e73g.html#ixzz2KYEDIwlz
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »
I cant believe that the Harrietville fire is still a big concern!

There'll be no firewood there for 10 years!
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2013, 11:01:31 AM »
Gradually heading south.

Hope its over by Easter so we can get to Omeo via Hotham. Ive fitted a brake controller especially for the descents!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »
Quote from: Mace
Gradually heading south.
Hope its over by Easter so we can get to Omeo via Hotham. Ive fitted a brake controller especially for the descents!

... at this rate I don't think it will be, theres some hot days coming up, then theres rain from next week for about a week on the long range.. hope its good rain.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2013, 12:34:41 PM »
Gradually heading south.

Would this fire be the cause of all the smoke over the eastern burbs today? Just heading home and can barely make out Mt Dandenong through the haze. Thought there may have been a fire up there?
The harrietville fire has been burning for a while now.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:36:57 PM by brickiematt »

Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2013, 12:44:16 PM »
Would this fire be the cause of all the smoke over the eastern burbs today?

Propbably smoke from the Licola/Heyfield area fires.

This morning at Benalla could barely see the Winton hills from work - about 10k's away.
Better than the 2003 Great Divide fires tho, couldnt see from one end of High St Mansfield to the other in the mornings!!

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2013, 07:04:16 PM »
Very Sad!

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/firefighters-killed-at-harrietville-fire-20130213-2ed55.html

Two firefighters have been killed while battling a bushfire near Harrietville, the Australian Workers Union says.

In a statement on Wednesday evening the AWU Victorian Secretary Cesar Melhem said two Department Sustainability and Environment firefighters had been killed in the line of duty.

Authorities are yet to confirm any deaths, with State Control Centre spokesman Gerard Scholten saying earlier there had been "a serious accident" on Wednesday afternoon among crews near Selwyn in Victoria's alpine region. But he said it was too early to comment on their condition.

"We just don't know," he said.
Advertisement

"We have sent crews out there and an ambulance. I know there has been some wire copy about. But until we arrive at the scene we won't know what has happened."

In a statement the Department said it: "can confirm there has been a serious accident at the Harrietville – Alpine North fire. Police and ambulance are responding."

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said a falling tree hit a vehicle on the fire ground. She said police and other emergency services were having difficulty attending the scene on Wednesday night because of the mountainous terrain and the ongoing fire.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2013, 09:06:54 PM »
Very Sad!

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/firefighters-killed-at-harrietville-fire-20130213-2ed55.html

Two firefighters have been killed while battling a bushfire near Harrietville, the Australian Workers Union says.

In a statement on Wednesday evening the AWU Victorian Secretary Cesar Melhem said two Department Sustainability and Environment firefighters had been killed in the line of duty.

Authorities are yet to confirm any deaths, with State Control Centre spokesman Gerard Scholten saying earlier there had been "a serious accident" on Wednesday afternoon among crews near Selwyn in Victoria's alpine region. But he said it was too early to comment on their condition.

"We just don't know," he said.
Advertisement

"We have sent crews out there and an ambulance. I know there has been some wire copy about. But until we arrive at the scene we won't know what has happened."

In a statement the Department said it: "can confirm there has been a serious accident at the Harrietville – Alpine North fire. Police and ambulance are responding."

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said a falling tree hit a vehicle on the fire ground. She said police and other emergency services were having difficulty attending the scene on Wednesday night because of the mountainous terrain and the ongoing fire.

-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2013, 09:21:06 PM »
That's shocking stuff. I hope all these arsonists are reading this and feel like the low life scum they are.

RIP Troops :cheers:

BD

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
Victorian Fires
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2013, 06:20:12 PM »
Harrietville fire was started by lightning.

But tragic loss of life, condolences to family, friends and those on the ground fighting the fires.

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2013, 06:24:54 PM »
Harrietville fire was started by lightning.

But tragic loss of life, condolences to family, friends and those on the ground fighting the fires.
Yes i know that's  the case but I was referencing the scumbags as they have started so many  >:(

Offline Kris

• Tent User
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2013, 06:36:51 PM »
The CFA website has lit up like a xmas tree across the ranges after this storm that has passed through in the last few hours.  With a bit of luck there is some rain up there to put them out, and they don't take off in the coming days.
2006 Hilux SR towing 1999 Kimberley Kamper

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2013, 06:56:18 PM »
Yep, I noticed a fire has started near Marysville on the Strickland Spur track. That is very rough country up there, I would hate to be driving a ute with a slip-on up that track.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
Camper - Customline

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
Victorian Fires
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2013, 07:57:31 PM »
Fire at Narbethong as well, they were saying about 40-50 fires have started from lightning strikes in the last two days

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2013, 12:45:06 PM »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
Camper - Customline

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »
Yep, I noticed a fire has started near Marysville on the Strickland Spur track. That is very rough country up there, I would hate to be driving a ute with a slip-on up that track.
Last tiem I went up it about yr ago, it was overgrown to Shit.. and was very grippy
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2013, 01:20:12 PM »
At least 65 of the 353 bush and grass fires were started from lightning strikes between Thursday afternoon and Saturday morning. More thunder and lightning activity is expected later on Saturday, a State Control Centre spokeswoman said, and firefighters would be vigilant in watching for new fires.

Near to the 30,604-hectare Harrietville-Alpine fire, which remains out of control, 13 fires started overnight from lightning strikes. Four were contained but nine continue to blaze.

A home near to the Alpine region at Beechworth

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fire-fighters-on-lightning-watch-20130216-2ejgh.html#ixzz2L1ppTWMF
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2013, 01:36:52 PM »
Road block duties earlier this week on the Heyfield - Licola Road at the turn-off to Montana Camping area (just north of Paradise Valley). This pano was looking south towards Lake Glenmaggie. At this time the fire was at Burgoynes Gap area.

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2013, 02:50:40 PM »
Out of control Vearings Rd Craigieburn heading towards Epping. Taken from my place miles away.
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2013, 03:03:01 PM »
Out of control Vearings Rd Craigieburn heading towards Epping. Taken from my place miles away.

Yea lady from work lives up that way and just farkt off home in a mad panic.. you could wait for her 1/2 way in the work car if ya like...

The Hume Freeway has been closed until further notice due to an out of control grass fire on Melbourne’s north.
VicRoads said it had closed the Freeway from Sydney Road to Cooper Street until further notice while firefighters battle to control the blaze. Drivers are advised to use the Old Hume Highway as an alternative.

Three properties are under threat from a fast-moving grass fire in the Donnybrook area north of Melbourne, while homes are under threat from two out-of-control fires in the west of the state.

The Country Fire Authority has issued a "emergency warning" warning on the blaze that started near Donnybrook Road on Melbourne's northern fringe at 1.20pm.

Under this level alert, according to the CFA website, ‘‘there is a risk to lives and homes, follow your bushfire survival plan. If you plan to leave, or you are not prepared and there is a safer place near by, leave now if it is safe to do so.’’

The fire was described as being in the Wollert area north of Melbourne.

The CFA said the fire was travelling in a southerly direction towards Vearings Road, Craigieburn Road East and Epping Road and was ‘‘expected to impact immediately’’.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fire-threatens-properties-across-state-20130218-2emum.html#ixzz2LDwULdGC
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo