Author Topic: Coleman hot water on demand issues  (Read 5324 times)

Offline russ81

• Tent User
Coleman hot water on demand issues
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:20:58 PM »
I have just recently used my unit for the first time, charged the battery for 24 hours before using. I managed to get 20L of warm water through, I refilled the contained and went to use it again with no luck. There is nothing the pump and the igniter don't work it's like there is no power. The battery has been charged again and still nothing. Has anyone experienced this before and is there a fix.

Cheers
Russ

Sent while temporally motionless

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
Re: Coleman hot water on demand issues
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 10:29:45 PM »
I have just recently used my unit for the first time, charged the battery for 24 hours before using. I managed to get 20L of warm water through, I refilled the contained and went to use it again with no luck. There is nothing the pump and the igniter don't work it's like there is no power. The battery has been charged again and still nothing. Has anyone experienced this before and is there a fix.

Cheers
Russ

If it is out of warranty there is a fuse inside them that is covered with a light rubber coating, it is the common glass style fuse. That may be causing your issue assuming the battery is ok. The batteries die regularly too especially if it hasnt been charged and is sitting around.

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 10:33:25 PM »
And silly as it seems make sure the pump unit is plugged in properly, were the water enters the unit. I did in a past life knock that out a bit.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 10:39:27 PM »
I just re-read your post, it sounds like it is brand new, if so dont open it looking for the fuse ;)

You wouldnt have your charger still plugged in by any chance?

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 10:44:38 PM »
I just re-read your post, it sounds like it is brand new, if so dont open it looking for the fuse ;)

You wouldnt have your charger still plugged in by any chance?

Another evil plan Batman - done that too - only once though  ;D

Offline russ81

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 11:08:52 PM »
I bought the unit new in may-June and have never used it, I also brought it from an on line eBay camping store so my chances of warranty are practically nil
I didn't have the charger in, but was wondering if there was a way to modify the unit so I don't have to use the supplied battery.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:11:33 PM by russ81 »

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 11:24:30 PM »
I bought the unit new in may-June and have never used it, I also brought it from an on line eBay camping store so my chances of warranty are practically nil
I didn't have the charger in, but was wondering if there was a way to modify the unit so I don't have to use the supplied battery.

Did you check the plug I mentioned......

The pumps runs off 6 volts so you can do a mod but you will need to pull it apart to do that. I built a small 15 buck 12 to 6 volt converter and changed the charge plug so it did no shut off when the power supply was plugged in

Offline russ81

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 11:41:01 PM »
I have checked the plug that seems fine I have opened up the unit and am having some difficulty locating the fuse location, any clues?
Is it accessible once the cover has been removed or do I need to remove other components to get at it.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:51:46 PM by russ81 »

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 11:53:15 PM »
Don't know about the fuse, never looked for it sorry.

Offline russ81

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 12:28:41 AM »
The issue has been located, the internal fuse has gone. Thanks to everyone for there assistance.fingers crossed that's all the issue is.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:13:01 AM by russ81 »

Offline Toy pradopetty

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 06:06:55 AM »
Ok u blew the fuse for a reason. Most common cause is the pump has jammed due to water scale build up on the spindle of the pump. When u try it- watch the green led on the front. If it dims and pump doesn't work quickly turn off. Remove screw cover on bottom of pump and u will see small impeller. Turn this with a small screw driver just to free it up. This should sort it out if it is the problem. Hope this helps. Trick to packing these units away- drain all water from pump and hose by first running for a very short period ( about 5 seconds ) without any water and the. Allow to sit upright to finish draining and dry off
Cheers
Frank

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 07:05:55 AM »
Saw this on a thread once about running the Coleman off a 12 volt battery, not sure where I saw it, but I copied the text.  This is part of it.

Used a 5amp 12 volt to 6 volt car power adaptor from jaycar (part no. MP-3478) wired it with 3 meters of 12 (AWG) wire (this is important) & soldered spade connectors to wire ends to fit on to battery terminals.

Most annoying when the small Coleman battery runs out  of power!  Some people carry a spare as they are pretty cheap.  But being able just to run it from your camper battery would be handy.
Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, Odyssey Export

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 08:06:57 AM »
Saw this on a thread once about running the Coleman off a 12 volt battery, not sure where I saw it, but I copied the text.  This is part of it.

Used a 5amp 12 volt to 6 volt car power adaptor from jaycar (part no. MP-3478) wired it with 3 meters of 12 (AWG) wire (this is important) & soldered spade connectors to wire ends to fit on to battery terminals.

Most annoying when the small Coleman battery runs out  of power!  Some people carry a spare as they are pretty cheap.  But being able just to run it from your camper battery would be handy.
Kevin

There is a thread on 4wd action about hard wiring one I think.

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 01:02:02 PM »
Russ, for us co-owners of a coleman hot water system, where abouts is the fuse within the system??  And did you happen to take any pics of your handy work?  Cheers Frosd

Offline russ81

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 01:05:51 PM »
How's it going Frostd, my unit is still apart, I will take pics this Arvo and post up

Offline russ81

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
I have posted a how to guide with pics in the electrical section.

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 07:46:31 AM »
How's it going Frostd, my unit is still apart, I will take pics this Arvo and post up

Cheers Russ.  Thanks Mate.

Offline Swaggie

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 04:34:49 PM »

A member has kindly posted pics and diagrams about how to do this using anderson plugs etc etc on another forum, click on the Coleman Hot Water On Demand Review and look through the posts, there in there at the bottom of the first page and the second ..Of course do it at your own risk and especially don't do it while its still in warranty unless you want to void it. ..

Heres the link for it: http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/camping-equipment/26322-swaggies-product-reviews.html

Goodluck