Author Topic: Let's Talk Chainsaws ...  (Read 28716 times)

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Let's Talk Chainsaws ...
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 03:58:48 AM »
Hey Kit-e,

Always remember, its all in the chain.

I've got a little no name brand cheapie that i found at the in-laws when we were cleaning up out there. With the chain, you can get a cutting tooth in every four or so or you get much more, spend an extra couple of $$$$ and have a better chain fitted straight up and kep the standard one for a spare like i do.

Oh, and tell the BF, if he can't keep his feet outta da way, to keep the foot iced and it can be re-attached in most cases. ;D
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 05:02:44 AM »
Oh, and tell the BF, if he can't keep his feet outta da way, to keep the foot iced and it can be re-attached in most cases.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 07:11:13 AM »
I'd go the mini boss from Stihl they were on special for $299 but think that's finished. The quality even on there cheap saws passes everybody else.

The Mcolloch is a good saw too, they are actually Husqvanna, Husqvanna make there small saws in Italy and USA and are badged up with different plastics as Husky, Poulan or Mccolloch, but they all have Husky badges underneath. So the Mccolloch for $250 from Bunnings is great value given the Husky model from a dealer is $150 more.

I dont know what hardware chain it was I drove past in Queanbeyan on Monday but they were advertising the Mccolloch for $129 save $120! That's a super deal for what is a "name" brand chainsaw.

FYI I bought the 16" Poulan and have used it on some hard applicationsfor the last 2 1/2 years and it works well.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 08:33:37 AM »
I'll say it once and I'll say it lots more. Don't forget to budget for safety gear.
These chaps and boots saved my knee and food from a chainsaw.
I am trained and qualified but I think the saw wanted to remind me who is boss.
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »
I'll say it once and I'll say it lots more. Don't forget to budget for safety gear.
These chaps and boots saved my knee and food from a chainsaw.
I am trained and qualified but I think the saw wanted to remind me who is boss.
Regards
Crispy
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
Let's Talk Chainsaws ...
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 10:39:59 AM »
If you must buy petrol, buy from USA, theres several threads on it here...

Won't somebody think of the children.....
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline RobM

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 11:16:19 AM »
Bought an Ozito from Bunnings a few weeks ago to get rid of a tree that died from damage caused by Yasi.
I would have cost more than $99 to pay someone to remove it for me. ( and I cut it into BBQ lengths).
Must say, I was impressed with ithe saw's performance. Don't know how long it will last but for the price how can you go wrong.

Offline Knight44

• Tent User
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 11:31:59 AM »
You could consider this one too  ;D

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 11:59:32 AM »
You could consider this one too  ;D

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/

Is that to cut up your data into chunk sized bytes?
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 12:02:48 PM »

Is that to cut up your data into chunk sized bytes?

Speeds up the defrag process.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »
I'll soon be buying a Ryobi one+ battery saw for small firewood ( I've already got some of their gear) as I've just thrown out my old 240 volt saw after 15 years of service. I've got some petrol saws but for smaller stuff the ease of use, only needing bar oil and less noise makes electric saws a winner for me. The reciprocating saw is also useable for firewood and works well.
The other one I've got is a small arbourists saw, I've forgotten the brand, but they are available in BigW for about $100, I've had it for a year, flogged it and it keeps going. A very handy little saw, but petrol I hate the fumes in the car).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:38:29 PM by singo-26 »
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Trackabout Off Road Campers

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Trackabout Off Road Campers
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 12:31:29 PM »
Hi Kit_e,

Gordon Country is a top spot!! I picked up a $99 special from Mitre 10, it had an Oregon bar (16") so plenty big enough for the big fallen sticks  :cheers: I have used it plenty of times too with out any issues, its about 2 years old now and I'd safely say I've got my moneys worth.

Dave

www.trackabout.com.au

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »
I believe these are on special at the moment
http://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/Chain-saws/Homeowner-Chain-saws/2212-1571/MS-170.aspx

I have one of these and its a great saw... just make sure you drain the juice out of it by running till empty before storing for next trip and she's a beaut. I agree, get what ya pay for and i bought mine on special with a bag for $299. The husqys are also on special for $299 sometimes as well
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 01:44:32 PM »
I would be interested to see how the battery saws go on a decent chunk of gum or 2 or 3. Also agree with the swaggers response re chain condition. I have a sharpener and give the chain a tweak as soon as you feel it starting to grab at all. Saves time cutting and negates the need to take to the shop for a heavy sharpen
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »
I bought a cheap mcculloch as a sper of the moment thing while camping at bestbrook last winter and can't fault it. The big thing as has been said is drain the fuel after use. This is the biggest problem as the fuel goes off after a while and its a bit ch to start them.

If you have a generator that you take camping buy an electric stihl. Unless you cut the cord they go first time everytime. ( you can always join the lead back together with chewing gum and duct tape anyway.)
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2012, 02:36:08 PM »
Gordon Country is a top spot!!

It is indeed & one of our favourites.  Needless to say the axe has received a good sharpen since - we just had to find where he'd put the grinding wheel whilst camping and found it on the very last day (of course).

I'm thinking one of the very cute (I am a sheila remember) stihl's is looking to be the go. 

So boys ... what are the Care Requirements? 
Apart from getting him some safety gear and a better chain ... anything else?

Kit_e

2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline dav

• Tent User
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 07:27:29 PM »
I would go the Huski over the Stihl in that budget. Its not brand thing as I own 009L Stihl with a 14" bar and a 038magum Stihl with a 20"bar.

Husqvarna 236 e-series is ideal for jobs like pruning, lighter cutting tasks and hobby work. Easy to start and operate with built-in Husqvarna features like ergonomic design, facilitating technology and powerful X-Torq® engine with low emissions. Equipped with Smart Start® and tool-less chain tensioning. For $299

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 07:45:26 PM »
Personally I wouldn't buy a saw with 'tool-less' chain tensioning
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline dav

• Tent User
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 07:55:13 PM »
Or try this brand.
shindaiwa
305S – COMMERCIAL-GRADE CHAINSAW
Lightweight powerful professional saw for farm or commercial use.
30.5cc * 12 inch Bar * 45 links of 91 type Chain * 1.3kw * 4kg w/o Bar & Chain
* Japanese quality – Shindaiwa-built premium engine.
* Light weight, heavy duty aluminium crankcases with machine mated surfaces – No gaskets, so no gasket leaks.
* Durable Chrome plated cylinder with 2 piston rings – For extended engine life and higher compression.
* Forged 3 piece crankshaft and con-rod with needle roller bearings at each end – For much extended engine life.
* Fully adjustable, automatic, clutch driven oil pump – Does not oil at idle to eliminate waste.
* Air purge – Designed for easy starting.
* Easy to pull starting system – Makes starting a breeze.
* Oversize starter handle – Provides comfortable,easy to grasp starter grip
* Combination choke and half throttle lock – Provides easy starting and returns to idle when throttle lever is activated.
* Walbro all position carburetor – Chainsaw can be operated at various revs and angles.
* Ergonomic Front handle – With 7 degree offset to fit operator’s grip naturally, so as to lessen fatigue.
* Aluminium handlebar with rubber grip – For operator comfort.
* Full anti- vibration system with rubber mounts - Highly effective anti-vibration dampeners which absorb vibration.
* Dual air filter system with easy to access pre-filter – Makes cleaning easy and leads to longer engine life.
* Quick release on air filter cover – No tools required to remove air filter cover.
* Dual post inertia activated chain brake – Automatically activated by reactive forces, or manually activated by operator. * Adjustable Oil Pump – Allows adjustment of bar and chain oil for various applications.
* Side-Mounted Chain Tensioner – makes chain adjustment quick and easy
* Captive oil cap – The oil cap has a retaining link to avoid losing it.
5 year domestic warranty – 2 year commercial warranty
THE CHOICE OF JIM’S MOWING FRANCHISEES
$449 (Price includes assembly and pre-delivery)
* Bonus $55 worth of related extras – YOU CHOOSE!
* Spare chain $29 * 1L Bar & Chain Oil $9 * 1L 2 Stroke Oil $15* Fuel Container $15 Fuel/Oil Container $73 * Chainsaw Case $63 * Quality Ear Muffs $50

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 08:15:42 PM »
Found the current 170 special

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2012, 08:20:27 PM »

Husqvarna 236 e-series is ideal for jobs like pruning, lighter cutting tasks and hobby work. Easy to start and operate with built-in Husqvarna features like ergonomic design, facilitating technology and powerful X-Torq® engine with low emissions. Equipped with Smart Start® and tool-less chain tensioning. For $299

Pretty sure this is the chainsaw i bought a couple of months back...... seems like a good unit, starts easy etc, same price as quoted above and the dealer chucked in a second chain free.
I would go and check but i'm a lonnnnnnnnng way from home at the moment.
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2012, 09:37:53 PM »
Personally I wouldn't buy a saw with 'tool-less' chain tensioning

I was dubious about the tensioner on mine as its more plastic than metal on the mcculloch/Huskvanas  buts it's certainly stood up to the abuse. The tooless tensioner on the Stihls looks better again. Very handy in the field.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:58:51 PM by achjimmy »

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 09:56:08 PM »
As i said above, if its a cheaper husky, mcculloch or Poulan. look for the little label that tells you there all the same. For anybody who knows Queanbeyan it was the Hardware on the corner near Jayco that had the mcculloch for $129
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:00:58 PM by achjimmy »

Jim

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2012, 10:14:37 PM »
I'd check if he's used one before and has a preference.  Im on a saw regularly (usually tree vs car or tree vs house) and will only use stihl or a husky, i'd be dissappointed with anything else, id rather know up front and put the difference in myself.  Note for what you need, a cheaper saw might do as even a cheap stihl will set you back $400+.  Have a look at youtube, has some good videos on durability and safety about stihl saws.  Some of the cheapys i wouldnt trust, they run tests between them, very enlightening.

Does he have the safety gear?  Boots, chaps, helmet, visor, ear muffs, etc.....

Other thing to consider is getting him on a cross cut course, particularly if he doesnt have experience.

Some might say im going overboard but im not sure if you have seen actual chainsaw injuries?  They are pretty nasty and bloody hard to treat, particularly in a camp thats not close to civilisation.

Chainsawing is very safe if done right, so many take needless and life changing risks

Chris

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2012, 11:01:37 PM »
I'd check if he's used one before and has a preference.  Im on a saw regularly (usually tree vs car or tree vs house) and will only use stihl or a husky, i'd be dissappointed with anything else, id rather know up front and put the difference in myself.  Note for what you need, a cheaper saw might do as even a cheap stihl will set you back $400+.  Have a look at youtube, has some good videos on durability and safety about stihl saws.  Some of the cheapys i wouldnt trust, they run tests between them, very enlightening.

Does he have the safety gear?  Boots, chaps, helmet, visor, ear muffs, etc.....

Other thing to consider is getting him on a cross cut course, particularly if he doesnt have experience.

Some might say im going overboard but im not sure if you have seen actual chainsaw injuries?  They are pretty nasty and bloody hard to treat, particularly in a camp thats not close to civilisation.

Chainsawing is very safe if done right, so many take needless and life changing risks

Chris

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks CBRK ... I'll keep all this in mind and pass along your concerns/advise. 

Of course he'll have a say in what he gets and how it's used and whether he does a safety course but I'm first aid trained so if anything gets cut off I know how to handle it - worst case scenario of course.  My dad has made me well aware of the dangers of chainsaws, so I think an axe is as timber cutting as I'll get.

Thanks everyone. 

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog