Author Topic: Packing Up Times  (Read 14437 times)

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Packing Up Times
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 06:41:48 PM »
Our first and so far, only pack up took about 2 hours. Geez we had some stuff out.

To be fair though, 1 hour of that was me cowering under the trailer crying while the wife, for some god forsakin reason, was trying to kill me.

Not my fault she's touchy about hail damage...... not the car either....  ;D

At least it took the focus off her fat bum....

FTW  :cup:
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »
Picture what Foghorn Leghorn use to do to that old dog on the Bugs Bunny Show, then you know what was happening to me.... :'(

Oh, that woman, got a mouth like an outboard motor.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:15:30 PM by Jeepers Creepers »
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline carinya

• Tent User
  • Nothing $30 million wouldn't fix
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 11:16:18 PM »
Overnighter, no annexe, 15 - 20 mins and ready to cook and sleep.  Pack up the same.  Afew days, annexe and a bunch of rubbish on the ground like a lot of chairs, tucker boxes extra lights, it is closer to an hour.  The wife is flat out being 5 foot tall so is next to useless as far as helping with the annexe goes.  The triton has a tray back so I have to load it up mostly as well.
MK Triton Dual Cab.
Cheap gal trailer with some stuff added.

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 05:08:10 AM »
I can not comment on how long a pack up takes as I have never done a pack up to time but what I do before leaving the camp site is "get it ready for the next trip" which takes about 1 1/2 hours dodging the kids or about an hour with my oldest daughter and myself whilst the the other half entertains the other two kids where they can not be heard
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline NatGav

• Tent User
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 05:51:08 AM »
We are on the road for 12 months and i'm sure as we get more experienced it will get easier. It has taken us anywhere between 2 to 4 hours. It's packing up all our Shit that takes the longest. I'm hoping to get this down to an hour and a half... We are packing tomorrow, leaving Swansea in tassie to head to just out of hobart. I'll time it again... So much Shit
Wherethebloodyhellarewe.com

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 06:00:01 AM »
We have a hard floor & to us time is irrelevant...just have to give SWMBO plenty of space & time to get the inside if the CT sorted. While this is happening I usually loosen ropes, 1/2 pull out pegs, sort ot the 4By etc.

Once she is ready, it only takes 15-30 mins to fold walls annex etc, pack the last few things in the CT.

Hitching up used to be "fun" but now we have a DO35 & a rear camera!!!
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 08:55:04 AM »
I can not comment on how long a pack up takes as I have never done a pack up to time but what I do before leaving the camp site is "get it ready for the next trip" which takes about 1 1/2 hours dodging the kids or about an hour with my oldest daughter and myself whilst the the other half entertains the other two kids where they can not be heard

Ive seen you do it in less than an hour......dont know if those dark clouds rolling in helped :)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Tassie devils

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 09:49:12 AM »
Our full set up with annex walls about 1 1/2 hours, 3 daughters and a vertically challenged wife slows us up a bit.
Our last trip we had a jayco pop top set up next to us not a full annex just the awning packed up and gone in 15 mins  >:(

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
2 hours for us

Goes something like this
Breakfast
Pack and hitch up
Leave towel handy then go and have a shower before leaving
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2012, 11:18:32 AM »
We haven't "packed up" for such a long time now.

I remember one of our first times and it tested our marriage somewhat.  Didnt takelong to get it sorted, have a few routines, a few simple rules or guidelines and it goes smoothly. Decluttering always works, as does everything has a place abdtheres a place for everything ensures things go smoothly.
We usually shower after pack up,as sommetinesquite sweaty.  That takes some time.

Sadly though,I'm sure our first pack up on our next trip and we'll be testing our patience again.

Take a deep breath, hug your wife and tell her you love her. Chill out and its not a raƧ. Or if a early start is needed, we semi pack up the night before and forgo the shower.
Chill out, its not a race.
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »
A big thing for us coming from using tents and more camping gadgets you could poke a stick at, to a camper trailer was to make it easier.

Setting up and packing up the tent set ups was a real chore and no one really looked forward to it so therefore camping was spread out more between trips.

Since we have been using our CT we are always looking at ideas and things to make life easier or faster or less of a chore. I am not sure if it is still a novelty of not having to do the whole tent thing but now when we go away it is actually fun setting the camper up!!

Reading some of the replies here reminds me of what it used to be like, I feel for some of you and urge you to see if you can make life easier for yourself.....it will transform your camping experiences  ;D

We do weekenders all the time now and really enjoy it.........especially reversing the camper into the garage and walking away from it until the next weekender
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 11:50:53 AM »
Five minutes   8)   

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »
Five minutes   8)   

Us too when we use the roof top tent and awning LOL

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »
The camper itself takes us bugger all, probably 15-20 mins. It's so the other crap that takes all the time and with three young ens there is plenty. Probably around an hour or so for the rest :cheers:
BD
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2012, 05:08:07 PM »

takes me about 10 minutes, generally i'll take off for few hours.. the wife gets upset that I'm not around, she does all the work, so when i get back its just hitch up and go.. its also generally a quite trip home  >:D

swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2012, 05:27:55 AM »
Ive seen you do it in less than an hour......dont know if those dark clouds rolling in helped :)
must have been the dark clouds as i was trying to use  the sun to time myself so there you go takes me less than an hour with all the kids around
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Diver

• Tent User
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »
After 4 nights last week it took 1.5 hours in a leisurely manner.  I put a big tarp out on the ground and shift everything on to it.  Then stack the camper and 4wd  in a logical order.  It takes about the same time to set up.

Interesting comment from a couple parked near us in a caravan saying they can have a full set up inc annexe in 1 hour.  I pointed out that it also took them an extra half hour on the road to travel the 300km not to mention the extra 10 litres of fuel and $30,000 purchase price.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
Interesting comment from a couple parked near us in a caravan saying they can have a full set up inc annexe in 1 hour.  I pointed out that it also took them an extra half hour on the road to travel the 300km not to mention the extra 10 litres of fuel and $30,000 purchase price.

LOL Classic, I need to remember this!

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »
We are never in a hurry just take our time try to leave about 2-3pm home by 6pm put the tug and ct in the shed get the cloths and food out then coffee time watch the idiot box weekend over.......back to work
Smoko

Same, same!

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline NatGav

• Tent User
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »
In 32 degree heat it too us 3 hours..it was the worst day of our life

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 07:50:42 AM »

You have left Tassie then?? ;) Just tricking, it has been hot.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2012, 08:12:27 AM »

32 degrees? Ha, that's a nice cool day for us up north here. ;D
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2012, 09:15:46 AM »
Our full set up with annex walls about 1 1/2 hours, 3 daughters and a vertically challenged wife slows us up a bit.
Our last trip we had a jayco pop top set up next to us not a full annex just the awning packed up and gone in 15 mins  >:(

That's the exact reason we bought a jayco after camping for 20 years.

Admittedly I miss being under the tent and tarp for space but I don't miss the long set up and pack up.
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline Andrew_C

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2012, 09:40:32 AM »
All depends for us on the set up, while away for the last month, our quick overnight stay pack ups were less than 15 minutes and our 3 day pluses were probably close to an hour.
Quick setup is roll out kitchen, fold out soft floor tent, take kids stretchers off bed (beds stay made up) and put together fold out table and chairs for dinner and brekky. Turn on power and gas.

Long setup is awning and walls if required, and peg down tent, random fishing gear, kids scooters and toys, fold out camping chairs.

We set our camper up so everything has a place, needs to go on the trip and when things are pulled out, they go back without it needing to be like a Rubix cube relying on one thing on the bottom that you need until last has to go in first. Our last rip, even with two kids, we had hardly anything on the car and I had space in the trailer to buy a webberq and fit it in the trailer in Townsville.

We have a massive storage box on the front of the trailer that really helps.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:43:13 AM by Andrew_C »

Offline NatGav

• Tent User
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2012, 07:25:54 AM »
Danny it was a stinker that day.. And next week is top of 15,so similar to Melbourne weather... Not a great pack up day, and we need to start a lot earlier so it's not the middle of the day and we are driving... Lessons learnt