Author Topic: Matt and Jess's 2008 120 Series D4D Prado GXL  (Read 2865 times)

Offline myminirocks

• Tent User
Matt and Jess's 2008 120 Series D4D Prado GXL
« on: October 27, 2012, 03:56:29 AM »
Subject says it all:

Bought "Peter Prado" in Feb, 5 yrs old and 100,00klms for our Trip round Oz. Absolutely bog standard other then sheepskins and Sand Grabba Mats throughout. (LOVE the Sand Grabba's!)

Put the Tekonsha P3 brake controller in it when we bought the camper but otherwise she is standard.

The plans, pretty much in order of priority:

Suspension upgrade (would love to hear other prado owners recommendations on this, yes I am on PradoPoint as well but might hear some different opinions over here)

Dual Battery system installed, Anderson plug to the tail for the camper, upgraded 12V in the boot for a fridge, couple of extra 12V in the middle row to charge the phones and iPad or Laptop (not sure which yet)

Compressor under the bonnet

New Head Unit that plays nicely with iPhones

UHF

Spotties

Then there is the wishlist!

ARB Bar

Outback rear drawers/cargo barrier/fridge slide

Under body protection

Airbags

I'll keep this updated as I go with any lessons learned along the way!

Check out our blog where we documented our (interrupted half) trip around Australia: http://fealyfamily.wordpress.com/

2009 Full Off Road All Terrain Camper, bare bones for now, but a few mods in mind.
Tow vehicle is a Prado 120 Series D4D with a little bit of fruit.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Matt and Jess's 2008 120 Series D4D Prado GXL
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:44:07 AM »
Hey there, a Prado & a Goldstream, what a great combo :)

As far as suspension, if you are planning a trip around AUS then I would not go for air bags but get the hard OME suspension. That way you have the correct suspension for the job. When you get back swap it out for the OME medium. I have the OME medium and it is very comfortable and capable however if I was planning extended touring then I would fit the OME hard.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

My Prado Build
Customline Deluxe Off Road

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »
G'day mate,

great car, it doesn't even look like its done 50k let alone 100k.  :cheers:

If your looking for a radio for iPhone, have a look into these
http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/25/299/35829/SPH-DA01/page.html
The retail price is around $590 and most places would have to order it in, but it is an awesome idea.

Cheers
Evo
IF it is to BE........ ITS up to ME
Southern Agent for EcoMate campers.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 12:29:43 PM »
Subject says it all:

New Head Unit that plays nicely with iPhones

http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?20560-IPOD-Adapter-120-Install-and-Review

Yours should have the factory bluetooth so why not fit the iPod/iphone adapter.  Here is a copy of the text from my install over at PP.;
Our 120 Prado has the six stack CD player without an MP3 or Ipod interface (normally the 3.5mm jack on the front panel) that lets you play your mp3 or Ipod/Iphone through the stereo.

I bought an Ipod Car Adapter (Yatour brand) for $119 from these people;

http://www.caripodcables.com.au/inde...5d6212603a8777

The model they sent was the YT-M05

To install you need to remove the silver console and dash trims. This is shown in detail on another thread but the condensed version is you use a flat prising tool with no sharp edges (cue tip, paddle pop stick etc) and prize the trims off. There are NO screws on the silver bits just trim clips that hold pretty tight but they will pop off. Prize the dash trims from the top and then they pull out. You will need to undo the hazard light wire and passenger flashing 'dont be a moron' sign on each trim.

Then onto the console trims which prize from the rear and then pivot at the front. I also removed the top of the console so I could access the area underneath to store the adapter unit. It prizes from the rear. Just open the console lid and then the front part of the console bin lifts up and the whole lot comes up.

There is an electrical connection near the handbrake that needs to be removed. Remove the keys from the ignition at this point so you dont blow a fuse when you are unbolting the unit (or you can undo the negative on the battery to be extra safe)

Unbolt the gold M10 bolts that hold the stereo/heater unit in place. There is a fifth bolt that is towards the bottom of the unit on the passenger side. It holds the wiring to the unit in place and kind of pulls them together.

You can now pull the unit out from the dash to reveal the rear of the unit. You will need to pull the antenna out from the rear passenger side of the stereo so it will come forward enough. I also found another aerial thing (pic in next post)
but have no idea where it went and whether I disconnected it accidently or not. Maybe its for the toffs in the Grande

The adapter plug (white on one end with a computer type fitting on the other) is then plugged into a vacant spot at the rear of the stereo (in photo it is half way home)

You dont need to take the stereo out all together.

I then ran the cable over the back of the steel bar that supports the dash and down into the transmission tunnel area of the console. Plugged it into the rear of the adapter and then connected the cable that goes from the adapter to the ipod. There is also a 3.5mm male to male lead that plugs into the adapter. I added some electrical tape around both and then secured that to the unit so they wouldnt come apart.

Put both of them in a padded padded back and then ran the wires up through one of the blanks. (pop out from below console.) Then pushed the unit in the bag under the front of the console where it fits snugly.

Antenna back in, Stereo secured with the five bolts and then the trim all fitted back up.

Sweet

Here were my thoughts on the unit;

FANTASTIC!

I was figuring that the unit would basically just be controlled with the ipod/iphone and just the volume on the stereo was used. Couldnt have been more surprised.

When plugged in using the iphone specific lead (flat one with that sticks in base of ipod) the factory stereo allows you to change songs and playlists which are displayed on the screen. Even tells you the track number etc so basically it just replicates the CD' that used to be in the changer.

It charges the iphone and when a call comes in the volume fades out so you can answer it.

Tried the 3.5mm jack and wasnt near as happy with the sound. (Maybe someone could explain why?). The sound is similar to when I use the 3.5mm plug on the work Ranger so I wonder how much better later prados with the 3.5mm jack would sound if the adapter was used instead?

Took the kids for a run to maccas and had the tunes up. Suddenly the 15month old starts to choke in the back so I pulled over real quick and turned the engine off and jumped out. All good after we got her out and tipped her on her stomach and out fell some food. Wow thats scary

After about 20 minutes I turned the stereo on and the song started from where it was when the stereo was turned off. COOL!

Overall I think its "three thumbs up!" as the yellow man says!

I will be using it with the iphone while mums taxi will be using ipods so will be putting a cradle in to hold the phone.

If you were only using the ipod and not an iphone you could even run the adapter and unit into the area above the glovebox (the hidden little spot where the manual can go) and then just leave the ipod connected in their so its always ready and the thieves wont see it.

Funny enough we had a couple of the early ipod nanos laying around so we have just synced all the music onto these and its plugged in permanently on both our prado and corolla.  Just unplug every now and then and resync.

Offline fuji

• ...Kamikaze... "The Divine Wind"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • amulatio memoranda (A walk to remember)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »
Hi ya
Go EFS suspension. I say medium because that's what I had on my Prado and we did the Kimberley's quite easily with a lot of weight in the rear. I also had airbags but didn't need them.  1st priority would be the bar first and EFS. Have a look at the Tanami drawers which are a lot lighter than the Outback series.  IMO
Wayne
2012 Workmate and Aussie Swag Camper.

Offline myminirocks

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 06:32:02 PM »
Hey All, thanks for all your advice.

Suspension: I am losing about 65mm clearance hitched up, yeah... 65mm!!!! I think the original suspension is probably on the well done side, it was an outback car all it's life. I would love the OME but at almost $2k.....hmmm, then there is the IronMan gear, for only $1k, Fuji maybe you're tip of the EFS for about $1400 could be the one. I really have to get serious about this soon because we were going to go to Bribie next weekend but I am really hesitant about getting on any soft sand with such a loss in clearance.

HeadUnit: Dazzler, what a great idea? Don't you just love people who think out of the box? I would have never thought to just get an adapter. Unfortunately this wouldn't work for us though, 1. because the CD player is buggered, 2. the 3.5mm jack is buggered, 3, the bluetooth is buggered...... well, basically because the whole head unit is...... buggered! Also one of my main aims is not use the head unit itself almost at all. I use a little app on the iPhones called 'leechtunes' which makes controlling the music really really easy (swipe left for next, right for back, swipe up to turn the volume up etc etc) I always find that no matter how fancy the headunit is and how 'easy' they make the iPod navigation it is never as easy as the actual iPhone. The one I'm looking at currently is:

http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=276

with the rear USB I'm going to run it behind the dash and bring it out on the top of the dash on the RHS with one of these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DUAL-USB-SOCKET-FLUSH-MOUNT-COMPUTER-LAPTOP-12V-DOWN-5-VOLT-DC-BTUSB-001-/300797324110?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4608eaeb4e

This way I just use a short USB-iPhone cable to a cradle/holder and the phone charges, can be used as a TomTom, and music control hub.

As a side note (I might see if there is somewhere good to post this) but I have just been testing a little app called "BlueCam Free" that allows a direct video stream from one iPhones camera to another. So what I'm planing on doing is putting the Mrs iPhone on the tow bar somehow and that will stream to my iPhone in the cradle on the dash as a reversing/hitching camera. It has the added advantage of also doing 2-way audio, so the boss can be talking to me as I reverse and I can talk with her all while seeing the video stream, cool huh! Better then a $500 reversing camera set up and using the existing iPhones and a free app!

UPDATE: I posted a bit more about this reversing Cam idea over here.....

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=25878.msg399075#msg399075
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 02:13:55 AM by myminirocks »
Check out our blog where we documented our (interrupted half) trip around Australia: http://fealyfamily.wordpress.com/

2009 Full Off Road All Terrain Camper, bare bones for now, but a few mods in mind.

Offline fuji

• ...Kamikaze... "The Divine Wind"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • amulatio memoranda (A walk to remember)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:25:19 PM »
Suspension: I am losing about 65mm clearance hitched up, yeah... 65mm!!!! I think the original suspension is probably on the well done side, it was an outback car all it's life. I would love the OME but at almost $2k.....hmmm, then there is the IronMan gear, for only $1k, Fuji maybe you're tip of the EFS for about $1400 could be the one. I really have to get serious about this soon because we were going to go to Bribie next weekend but I am really hesitant about getting on any soft sand with such a loss in clearance.

We did the Simpson with the standard suspension and didn't have any dramas.
Wayne
2012 Workmate and Aussie Swag Camper.

Offline myminirocks

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 02:19:31 AM »
That's good to know Fuji. At the moment, my chains are only a cm or 2 off the ground, I know any sand tracks I've driven before (Fraser/Straddie/DeepWater NP) the ball would be ploughing.

I do think the original suspension is pretty shot, I was shocked at how badly it took the camper ball weight (approx 140kg)

The car has spent it's entire life in western QLD, with 110,000k's on it now.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 03:06:34 PM »
Its amazing what different roads/areas do to suspension.  I bought our Prado with 154000 k's on it all done up the north of tassie on bitumen roads.  Suspension was pretty good and is now just starting to show its age at 200000 and the dampers are going off and its starting to wallow. 

Am probably going to order some EFS for mine this week.

Offline myminirocks

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 08:04:21 PM »
Getting excited, putting the new suspension in tomorrow. Went with Bilstein shocks and Dobinson Springs, 2inch lift. Current measurements are Front 730mm and Rear 770mm

Looking forward to seeing how much better it takes the camper weight tomorrow, decided against the airbags for now......we'll see....

Offline myminirocks

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 01:37:32 AM »
WooHoo! New Suspension is in and what a difference in the ride already!
Got 80mm lift in the front and 70mm in the back, I'll try and hitch the camper up this weekend and see how the springs handle the ball weight. I'll get some photos up when I can

Offline myminirocks

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 09:07:01 AM »
Well, we've been busy. Unfortunately part of busy mean I haven't had a chance to keep everything as upto date as I had planned. So, now we are only a few weeks before we leave on our trip, we are concentrating on updating our blog. So if you want to see what we have done, head on over to the link in my signature. I'll be updating all our mods shortly.

So far we have done the suspension (had a couple of goes at getting it right) done the dual battery and electrics upgrade, found an awesome alpine head unit that plays very nicely with the iPhones, roof racks, awning, spotties and hopefully today's I'll get the outback drawers installed.

Fun times!

Offline matt150

• Tent User
  • Family man, 3 kids and wifey...
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »
I am onto my second long term Prado now. I had a 120 for seven years and went thru abit of suspension in that time. Initially I went the ridepro springs and Bilstein shocks direction. Down the track I added airbags and different rear springs etc.

To travel long distance towing, and looking a real value for money options, maybe this setup might unit your needs.

Front - Struts Toughdog BM404600 (longer hilux strut, more lift for nothing) and Toughdog TDC974 coils. These will handle your bar and dual batteries pretty well. If you are going to a winch in the future, upgrade the coils then. I found the TD shock to have a smoother ride with more controlled rebound, compared to the more expensive Bilsteins.

Rear - Struts Toughdog BM401116, Polyair airbags and a Old man emu 895 spring. The combo of the poly airs and these springs will give a nice ride unloaded and the ability to add air into the poly airs to level the rear end up, when towing etc. I found these springs and shocks still stretched out enough when offroad.

Good luck.
Cheers,

Matt

[Current ride] - 2012 150 Series Prado GXL TD Manual

[Camper] - 2008 Lifestyle 360i