Author Topic: Most useless Camping Gadget  (Read 47145 times)

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Most useless Camping Gadget
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2012, 07:43:48 AM »
Yeah, these people don't really fit into the "most useless gadget" category but they do the same for your camping experience: diddly squat. What's worse is when these people don't even bring their own stuff as their attitude is "oh you have everything so why double up" which means they're under your nose for half the trip too (in my case this comment pertains to the wife's twin sister & her husband, God bless them!)

I kind of agree with there is not point in doubling up but I just hate been taken for granted :'(

LB
2017 BT-50 GT
Kimberley Kamper Platinum 2013

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2012, 08:32:08 AM »
quite often i would have to say the fishing rod  :-[
That's even funnier, given your username.  :cup:

Cheers!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2012, 12:13:16 PM »
I think alot of us have those friends who come camping with you, and because you have the camper trailer think you have it all under control so dont offer to do a thing, and just watch you do everything, have to agree would love just once to be able to sit on my arse and watch others do everything, but pigs will fly first.

We have an 18 year old like this.  Needless to say, he no longer comes with us.  His dad set him up with all the camping comforts he'd need.  Used them twice ... game over.  But at least I don't have to encourage him to participate all weekend and then have fights about it with the BF.   :cup:

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2012, 04:49:47 AM »
That's even funnier, given your username.  :cup:

Cheers!
Matto :)
username was going to be fishcatcher but that is inappropriate given my track record since leaving the north west coast of WA
 :-[
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Diver

• Tent User
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2012, 03:32:02 PM »
We have used those gauze toasters on the gas for years and they work really well.  Evenly toasted in about 10-15 seconds each side.

And recently while away in the Peron Peninsular that solar shower bag we had in the shed for years was brought into action when the useless 12v shower pump failed.  We were late getting it laid out in the sun (Clear side up by the way) so just topped it up with a kettle of hot water heated on the 3 burner gas stove.  Just have some cold water already in the bag and watch your fingers pouring hot water into the bag.

Thanks for the tips about coffee makers and lights. 

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2012, 03:40:02 PM »
We have used those gauze toasters on the gas for years and they work really well.  Evenly toasted in about 10-15 seconds each side.

I'm starting to think its only me who can't figure those toasters out.
I must have bought a dud......surely it can't be just user incompetence :'(
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2012, 04:01:43 PM »
Yeah, it can be.... ya lumox
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2012, 04:05:32 PM »

Oh c'mon JC, he's only a brickie, give a bit of leeway
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline jeb1900

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2012, 08:11:55 PM »
I'm starting to think its only me who can't figure those toasters out.
I must have bought a dud......surely it can't be just user incompetence :'(

Yeah, it had me tricked for quite a while.  I've had great success using them like this:

Using it kind of like a fry pan.  Take the gauze, place it over the stove and let go of it.  Place bread on the upper couple of bars that run across. 

Previously, I put the bread inbetween.  I have not had too much trouble with burning the bread, and it toasts pretty evenly.  Would probably do even better if I turned the heat down!!!!  But, i'm too impatient.

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »

Oh c'mon JC, he's only a brickie, give a bit of leeway

Hey, no fair, ganging up on a poor defenceless brickie. It's what I would expect from the lawn mower man, but xcvator, quite frankly i'm disappointed in you. Us mexicans are supposed to stick together........

Oh, and i had to google "lummox"..........I'm now going to bed to cry myself to sleep :'(
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS

Offline Ashes

• Tent User
  • Aussie Jays CT
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2012, 09:07:30 PM »
The gauze toasters work really well.  Gauze directly on the flame and bread on top of the bars.  Quick and easy enough for the kids.
What doesn't work well are the coleman 4 slice toasters.  Basically these are a metal plate with holes and wires to hold 4 slices nearly vertical.  Takes about 3 weeks to cook the 4 slices this way and around 37kg of gas.  I wrote a letter to coleman about this product and didnt get a reply :'(

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2012, 06:04:03 AM »
Hey, no fair, ganging up on a poor defenceless brickie. It's what I would expect from the lawn mower man, but xcvator, quite frankly i'm disappointed in you. Us mexicans are supposed to stick together........

Oh, and i had to google "lummox"..........I'm now going to bed to cry myself to sleep :'(

Oh stop it, you'll have me reduced to tears soon....

Not from caring, just from laughing.....  :D
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2012, 11:21:02 AM »

The Weather Bureau ... freezing cold my R's ... it got up to 30c over the weekend!!

Kit_e
My Blog

Offline Smoko

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »

The Weather Bureau ... freezing cold my R's ... it got up to 30c over the weekend!!

Kit_e

2009 Vacation Camper 2015 Triton

Offline bonesy739

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2012, 06:32:24 PM »
Yep another vote for air mattresses.

They will suck every ounce of joy from your trip. Whether by absorbing the cold from the ground leaving you freezing all night or by going flat inch by inch they are pure evil.

Air mattresses are land fill waiting to happen.

Offline deepop

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Living the dream.
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »
I love my single cup espresso machine - you just have to be careful to have a small flame offset a little bit away from the cup side and put the handle of the cup off the side of the tray.   3 months riding around Europe it got used everyday nearly and is still going strong.
I also like my solar shower (although now have a drop in the bucket 12v cheapie).

For me the most useless thing is the fold up pantries/cupboards - what a waste of good (and precious) camping time!
Manual petrol 105 series 'cruiser.
Aust. trailers semi off road trailer with Southern Cross Canvas tent, water, gas, kitchen and other stuff.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2012, 12:43:24 PM »

They will suck every ounce of joy from your trip. Whether by absorbing the cold from the ground leaving you freezing all night or by going flat inch by inch they are pure evil.

LOL!  You need a blanket under you as well as over you.  Best way to keep the air in them is to treat them with kit gloves and NEVER put them directly on the tent floor.  Those foam squares are perfect to put them on.  Don't ever buy a cheap one either.

If you take this advice you will have many years of service out of them.

Kit_e
My Blog

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2012, 03:14:22 PM »

For me the most useless thing is the fold up pantries/cupboards - what a waste of good (and precious) camping time!

We have a fold up pantry thing which is awesome. The brand is Wanderer (I think), and it goes up in 5 seconds flat (well, it starts out flat, then it's up!!) The Oztrail one it replaced was crap. You needed a degree in structural engineering to put that thing up. It now resides in a corner of the garage reserved for things that "seemed like a good idea at the time" ;D
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »

I have a coleman fold up pantry and it folds into about the size of an attache case and erects in literally  less than a minute...great bit of gear
The most useless bit of gear i have is one of those gas cooker things that are supposed to cook toast....
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 04:55:50 PM by wholehog »

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2012, 04:52:52 PM »
...........The most useless bit of gear i have is one of those gas cooker things that are supposed to cook toast....

.....and around we go...... ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

nbd73

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2012, 05:45:49 AM »
We have a fold up pantry thing which is awesome. The brand is Wanderer (I think), and it goes up in 5 seconds flat (well, it starts out flat, then it's up!!) The Oztrail one it replaced was crap. You needed a degree in structural engineering to put that thing up. It now resides in a corner of the garage reserved for things that "seemed like a good idea at the time" ;D
I was about to post a similar comment but this says it all: have one of the crap brand cupboards, have taken it on the last 3 trips and not used it so its going to the garage corner in one of those little piles we all seem to have. The fridge stand is already there.

Offline maurerless

• Tent User
  • Don't take life seriously; no one gets out alive
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2012, 08:00:27 PM »

...I didn't know you were supposed to sleep on them in a tent. I've only ever used them for sleeping while floating down the river... ;D
2010 Isuzu D-Max; Hard walled mobile swag, but still getting out there. :)

Offline bunnywabbit

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2012, 06:49:47 PM »
the single slice gauze toaster is ok, but slow. the 4 slice round toaster(or should I say bread warmer) would have to be the worst gadget ever.

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2012, 12:39:25 AM »
When I first started reading this thread, I thought the people complaining about their fridge stands were being a bit precious.
So I dug my brand new, never opened, Engel stand from the garage and set it up. So far, so good.
Then I tried to collapse it . . . and found out why people complained! You can't get the buggers to fold up again. And while it may support a small esky, I don't think I'd trust it to support a full fridge.
It's gone into the discard box, joining the Treg hitch that was on my CT when I bought it. But not for long. What a useless piece of kit!
Cheers, Tony

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2012, 08:56:36 PM »
Um... used my toast maker mesh side down. Bloody brilliant.  Thanks.  Not wanting to sound stupid, but these things could use some instructions. Just a simple 'this side down' would suffice.