Author Topic: Performance Issues and what we're doing about it  (Read 6544 times)

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Performance Issues and what we're doing about it
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:47:48 AM »
G'day all. We're aware of the performance issues and are as frustrated as you are. The issue stems from our popularity; we've grown beyond what our current host is prepared to provide us in bandwidth and file size.

With the generous help of JDerry.au we are evaluating new hosts and options, but as many of you know we all have full time jobs that take us away from home and the net so this process has not been as speedy as we'd like it.

We have trimmed and tweaked, and you will notice that some of the larger threads not related to camping, camper trailers or four-wheel-drives have been removed to try and make our hosts happy again.

As I have posted elsewhere, use this time; go camping, get out into the shed and start or finish that mod you've been considering, take some photos, all in preparation for the full steam ahead resumption of service we're working on.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • MySwag.org - The Off-road Camper Trailer forum
Re: Performance Issues and what we're doing about it
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 03:00:53 PM »
Here is a quick update.

www.myswag.org is moving to Australia!

Now with this news comes a substancial ongoing cost of over $2k per year. Now we have had many offers of cheaper (VPS) shared server options that have been very appreciated but with over 50GB hosted and 250GB in bandwidth no shared server is going to give us the room we need to grow compared to our very own dedicated server. But once again thank you for your offers.

In the past, we have covered costs via the sale of merchandise but we don't make anywhere near enough to cover the new server costs. So to take up on the offers for financial support we will have a paypal option up soon to help cover the new server or in the mean time you can email orders.at.myswag.org  (replace .at. with @) with the amount you wish to help out with and we will invoice you with payment details.

As for a migration date, we are looking towards the end of next week or early the week after if all goes to plan. But we will keep you posted.
Cheers
Brett

2018 Silverado Midnight Edition towing Bertha the Jayco BaseStation.

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 03:11:40 PM »
email sent mate  :cheers:
Cheers, Craig

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 05:16:09 PM »
Don't forget folks - the other way to support the Forum is to purchase Myswag.org Merchandise!

Click on the link in my signature to see what we have and how to order  :cup:

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Young Nomad, Travelling
    • Tripigy
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 05:41:18 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Just thought i would let everyone know also whats going on behind the scenes.
Although its mostly seen dormant, we've been researching and talking with possible providers to fix up the hosting.
MySwag has alot of members, and it is also very unique as we allow hosting our own photos etc. Brett has always maintained a very open easy posting policy, which will remain. With such allowances to each member, the cycles it puts onto the hosting equipment isn't actually small.

We use (and could use) up to over 300GB (not MB) of traffic a month, and it's only growing.
On top of this we have a large file database, with over 180,000+ files stored. The databases aren't massive but the table sizes are large (for all those techies).. (Databases are around 1GB), Files i think sit around 30GB.

So what this means is Brett has been trying to future proof the upgrade, as it will be offline for at least 24 hours whilst we do a migration i am betting. We'd like to avoid doing it again. Hopefully the migration will be shorter, but as you can imagine there is alot of data to move from server to server.

As Brett has mentioned the good news is we've been hunting for a good host here in Australia so our ping time/site reaction times drop hopefully. We are moving to Digital Pacific, which is hosted out of the Macquarie Telecom data centres in Sydney. This is in motion, and will be continuing, but as i've mentioned above we want it to go smoothly, so a little time is needed to make sure everything is setup and transferred correctly.

We'll keep everyone up to date, and will provide the exact outage times/dates. As Brett and Jillsy have mentioned, there is significant cost in this move. It's mostly because getting cheap/good servers in Australia with the bandwidth requirements we have, is impossible, especially on a dedicated server or someone that can handle the CPU cycles we need. We certainly could have saved a few dollars now (long term probably not) and gone with a US based host. (we looked at quite a few). I have a number of clients and people i know that are using Digital Pacific and Macquarie Telecom's data centre. They are very happy.

On top of this, we will have full control of the site going forward, and we won't have upgrade/bandwidth issues, nor CPU etc. We are moving to a dedicated server with dedicated bandwidth. I encourage everyone to support just a little to the MySwag fund, and in a week or two we'll be based in Australia, nice and fast for those Myswaggers needing their daily fix (myself included)...

If you have any technical questions or want to offer some assistance (technically) feel free to reach out to me.
2015 LC200 - Snowy - Sahara with all the mods.
Custom built Off-road Caravan.

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 06:13:24 PM »
Ok we now have PayPal account setup. Please click on the button below and it will take you to PayPal. I have set it at 1 unit = $1.00, Please adjust the unit numbers as you see fit.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:34:40 PM by Brett »
Cheers
Brett

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 10:20:26 PM »
Just a quick update... Everything is moving quickly now!

So far we raised $1689 via PayPal plus some Merchandise Sales as well. This allowed us last week to order the new server and pay 6 mths Hosting for a start. Today we got access to our new home and from what Justin (Firefox) is tell me she is a beauty. Very much overkill which leaves plenty of room to grow!

Justin is currently setting up the server and doing some dummy runs before we complete the forum migration. We will experience some down time where you will have no access to the site for 12 to 24hrs. But Justin will go into this further and give notice once we are ready.

If all goes well this time next week we should be running on our new home. (No pressure Justin!  >:D)
Cheers
Brett