Author Topic: How did you choose your canopy  (Read 23022 times)

KingBilly

Re: How did you choose your canopy
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 02:56:54 PM »
Lets just say that Lost is more likely to become an Essendon supporter than I am an ARB customer again!

Ouch, that hurts, I have shares in ARB now  :'( :'( :'( and the youngest sweeps the floor ever other Saturday  :D :D :D

KB

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 05:17:09 PM »
I've got a TJM canopy on my D22.

I've had no problems with water leaks, but I hate the latching mechanism. The rear window must be locked at all times, otherwise it just rattles itself open.

PITA.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline penguin

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
Looking at getting a canopy for the rodeo and interested if other forum members have tinted windows on front and rear of canopy plus tinted rear window of rodeo.  Would it be too dark to look through when reversing with tub empty. Can one window be tinted only? Just looking around at the moment so the more suggestions , ideas would be appreciated. :cheers:

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 06:03:03 PM »
Mine are all tinted it is not to bad but as i have drawers and by the time the fridge etc goes on top i am using the side mirrors to reverse anyway
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »
Looking at getting a canopy for the rodeo and interested if other forum members have tinted windows on front and rear of canopy plus tinted rear window of rodeo.  Would it be too dark to look through when reversing with tub empty. Can one window be tinted only? Just looking around at the moment so the more suggestions , ideas would be appreciated. :cheers:

When we were looking at the Razorback canopies the display one at the show had tinted windows on the canopy and the ute. It made it nearly impossible to see through at all with the 3 tinted windows. It actually looked like it would be hard to see through just the tinted canopy windows. After ordering the Razorback, we got a reversing camera fitted.
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

KingBilly

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 07:24:20 PM »
All ours are tinted,  rear window in ute and both canopy windows.  Yes, you can see out during the day.  Not too bad in underground car parks.  Not too good at night but you can see, just.  I think a camera is a must regardless of the tint.

One positive is, you don't need to dim the rear view for headlights following of a night.

KB

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 10:53:24 PM »
Mine is Ultimate seems identical to the Flexiglass..  Currently having problems as the canopy shifted and cracked (shattered) the rear door locks..Canopy is back with Ultimate for a new rear door.
If I had realised the problems of banging my head on the flip up side window catches I would have got the ARB one..
Isuzumu has some really bad scratches from his ARB one along the top of the tailgate..
I've got some of that too and a lot of dust..LOL..
Steve

Sent from Mandrakes Motorola

Going back to basics - sort of ...

KingBilly

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 08:20:38 AM »
Hey Steve, can you remember if Bruce's tailgate have a strip of clear contact along the top to stop the scratching?  ARB put this strip on my tailgate.

KB

Offline JonnyB

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 08:49:27 AM »
Have Flexiglass Sport on 07 Ranger for 2 years now and can highly recommend.  Dual lift ups are very handy, connects to central locking and has door operated interior light with carpeted lining.

The Flexiglass badges fell off so now we get comments asking what brand it is and "gee it looks nice"!

Does leak a bit in our Top End rains but from my previous car sales experience they all do.

Security hasn't been an issue for us as the tinting is quite dark but have no issues seeing out.

JonnyB

KIMBOPRADO

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »
Hi All

Surprised to read in the "West" newspaper today, Fleetwood which ownes Flexiglass recently closed their WA operations that make the canopys - and sourced production in Asia......, after the companies not too good profit results

Another Aussie product gone offshore to be produced, Fleetwood also make Coramal/Windsor Caravans, hope the quality will remain with all these products

Offline padoida

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 08:55:21 PM »
Hi All

Surprised to read in the "West" newspaper today, Fleetwood which ownes Flexiglass recently closed their WA operations that make the canopys - and sourced production in Asia......, after the companies not too good profit results

Another Aussie product gone offshore to be produced, Fleetwood also make Coramal/Windsor Caravans, hope the quality will remain with all these products

The sport model Flexiglass is brought in from Thailand.  They still make the tradesman in Brisbane though.

Offline camshan

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2013, 09:26:32 PM »
I have the arb canopy liked the look of it came with tinted gas strut lift up windows has been on the car for 9 years no problems so far.

Offline DeLuxHiLux

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Growing Old is Inevitable. Growing Up is Optional
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 10:10:29 PM »
I have a Lowline Canopy, made of Steel frame and Colorbond skinned. BIG Doors on sides and Back. they normally fit fixed windows but I optioned them out because they let heat in as well as thieving bastards who want to knick your stuff! Easily resolved lighting problem with 3 "door" switches and some $1.50 LED strips. Its ROCK solid, doesn't require any internal Hoops to hold a roof rack and is secure as can be. It is riveted and welded, and after our 15000km odyssey on the Tanami, Gibb river road and cape Leveque, we lost 1 rivet. that's all. thee only dust is from when we open the doors.

If you are after sliding windows though.... i'm not sure. but its tough and well built. Back in 2007 when I got mine it was about $500 more than an ARB one if you included all the "extra's" ARB charged or like smooth finish, color coding (you need smooth finish if you want color-coding) and support bars for the roof Rack , and the extra to change sliding tiny windows into lift up tiny windows.

mine has no glass to break and no easy access for thieving cretins with a rock or a centre punch. not the cheapest, but pretty good value for money. And made by real Australians, in the Basin, Vic.
'07 HiLux with some "fruit
'11 Tambo Omeo

Back home in one piece!!!

Common Sense: So Rare, it's a SuperPower

Our half lap 2013  blog: www.deluxhilux.blogspot.com.au