Author Topic: How did you choose your canopy  (Read 23024 times)

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
How did you choose your canopy
« on: August 19, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »
Hi,

We are thinking about getting a canopy for our dual cab D-Max and want to know from others who have canopies how you ended up choosing that particular brand and style and what window configurations people have chosen.  Also can anyone recommend a dealer/seller in Victoria that is good to deal with.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: How did you choose your canopy
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 08:14:17 PM »
I chose my Flexiglass because at the time they were 1/2 the price of any other one on the market.
The salesman talked me into the high back model (at no extra cost).
Now that I have the drawers in, I' am happy he talked me into it as the fridge would not fit under a standard canopy as it sits on top of the drawers.
I' am still really happy with mine after having it almost 6 years now...

Bill and Morag
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:21:14 PM by Bill »
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline camperd4d

• Tent User
    • OVERALL MACHINE DEVELOPMENT
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 08:25:34 PM »
I just fitted a high roof ARB/toyota canopy to my dual cab hilux(ebay job),lift up side windows are the go mate,other wise you have to stretch over the tailgate to reach anything into your ute, as side sliding windows offer very little access in the tub.
You've  just got to remember your height with the high roof ( my lifted hilux gets me 2.150m) when  going into  underground carparks.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:33:02 AM by camperd4d »

Chris F

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 06:27:30 AM »
I also have a high back Flexiglass canopy on my Hilux. It has the lift up side windows, one of them being a tradie window, i.e. it opens nearly the whole side of the canopy. I have had two Hiluxes with these canopies and I like the ease of access they give to the back of my ute. I have to cram lots of stuff into the back for work and the extra space the high back gives comes in handy.

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:10:38 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far, one thing with the windows we have talked a bit about getting one lift up and one sliding as there may be times that we will have the dogs in the back.  They mostly ride on the back seat but I think if we had a canopy they would probably go in there a bit too.  So is one lift up window enough.  When we took the camper last time most of our stuff fitted in there.  It is more about having somewhere lockable for fridge etc.

Offline WannaBe

• Tent User
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 09:29:33 AM »
I just fitted a high roof ARB/toyota canopy to my dual cab hilux(ebay job),lift up side windows are the go mate,other wise you have to stretch over the tailgate to reach anything into your ute, as side sliding windows offer very little access in the tub.

x2

I bought a canopy for my Ford Ranger but only went for side sliding windows. Regretting it now.

Wannabe
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
I really want to be in an Offroad Camper!
11 Ranger XLT, 09 Adventure Offroad Pilbara Camper

Offline tanz

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far, one thing with the windows we have talked a bit about getting one lift up and one sliding as there may be times that we will have the dogs in the back.  They mostly ride on the back seat but I think if we had a canopy they would probably go in there a bit too.  So is one lift up window enough.  When we took the camper last time most of our stuff fitted in there.  It is more about having somewhere lockable for fridge etc.

With the dogs in the back, you've probably looking in the correct direction. Lift up window to the passenger side, for those roadside stops.

I've an ARB canopy on order, SWMBO said I could only have 1 lift up window, so that's how I'm setting mine up (same as last vehicle). :'(

Offline Nutto

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Burning desire to camp.....
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 09:57:13 AM »
When I got my D-max last year, I ordered the isuzu (ARB) canopy with it, as it was by far the best deal. It is actually an ARB canopy, complete with ARB badges.  Also meant It is covered by the 3 yr warrnty with the vehicle. (see pic below)
In terms of how it was chosen in terms of hi roof/same height as car roof,  windows etc  it purely depends on your intended use.  There is really no right or wrong style.
For me,  I wanted the finish of the canopy to be smooth to match the car - looks better & easier to clean than the dimpled finish IMO.
Next, lift up side windows a must for access, and I don't know how I would manage with sliders. 
You can still have lift up windows both sides with a dog as the front window of the canopy slides open and can be left open whilst travelling.
Next, I need the canopy to be flush height with the roof of the dmax, as we also have canoes that go on the roof bars, so a hi roof canopy wouldn't work. 

There's more than enough space the std height canopy (still more than a wagon) so no dramas there.

:cheers:
Nutto

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 09:34:59 PM »
When I got my D-max last year, I ordered the isuzu (ARB) canopy with it, as it was by far the best deal. It is actually an ARB canopy, complete with ARB badges.  Also meant It is covered by the 3 yr warrnty with the vehicle. (see pic below)
In terms of how it was chosen in terms of hi roof/same height as car roof,  windows etc  it purely depends on your intended use.  There is really no right or wrong style.
For me,  I wanted the finish of the canopy to be smooth to match the car - looks better & easier to clean than the dimpled finish IMO.
Next, lift up side windows a must for access, and I don't know how I would manage with sliders. 
You can still have lift up windows both sides with a dog as the front window of the canopy slides open and can be left open whilst travelling.
Next, I need the canopy to be flush height with the roof of the dmax, as we also have canoes that go on the roof bars, so a hi roof canopy wouldn't work. 

There's more than enough space the std height canopy (still more than a wagon) so no dramas there.

Nutto
Thanks Nutto for that info we did talk about getting canopy at time of purchase we have the same colour as you.  We ended up getting tonneau cover for it and at the time only had a small camper tent on normal trailer but now that we have the bigger trailer and hope to get away a bit more looking at different options.  I didnt realise that the front window wound down so that would be a good choice.  Have not had the chance to have a good look at some other than few pics on the net which is just not the same.

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 12:39:33 AM »
With my canopy i went in a totally different direction (This idea is probably not that well suited for dogs but i will still talk about it).

My criteria 
  • i didn't want a tub, or something that needed a rear bar to protect it
  • I wanted to mount 2 spare wheels on the back of it, but I didn't want swing aways (Swing aways can weigh up to about 80kg and that is with out the spare wheels.
  • I didn't want any windows, as the sun heats things up through the glass, gives a point people can look at your stuff, as well smashing point to gain access to your things.
  • I wanted to have access of my canopy hooked upto the central locking where it can be unlocked via the remote
  • I wanted the canopy as to where I can easy stack firewood on the top of it (we collect  firewood before we reached our camping spots.)
  • the canopy strong enough were i can stand on it.
  • I wanted huge  and easy access, from both sides.

There more things that i wanted but I can't think of them now..

O.K. I came up with a alloy canopy.. 

I think that the cost was somewhere between the $5000 and the $6000  mark, not that sure, as it came as a deal for a mahindra Pik-up that I own. I have been posting info about this setup in the my 4wd section of this site http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=17679.0

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:43:59 PM by cyberess »

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 08:27:23 PM »
So looks like we need to revisit this topic. We (Nay-DMAX and I) are still looking for a canopy and would like to know which way to go. Here is the story so far.

In February this year we ordered a Razorback canopy. It had all the features we wanted like central locking and the 1 lift up and 1 slide window. Had the reinforced roof racks to take the rhino rack system. Got it on a show special. Well, as it still hasn't shown up after 6 months we have got sick of waiting and want to look at a plan B.

It will take a miracle for me to buy anything from ARB again so I can rule that one out too.

So we can get Flexiglass with central locking but the roof rack weight rating is not too good. So if there are any others on the marked we would appreciate the info. Thanks  :D
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »

Poor Andrew, he's been relegated to the back. Make sure you get the canopy with the slide out table! :angel:
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 08:33:27 PM »

Poor Andrew, he's been relegated to the back. Make sure you get the canopy with the slide out table! :angel:

Haha only get the slide out table if you can take it right out and it's free standing..................... Oh wait it is

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 08:41:54 PM »
I think I can fix this thread hijacking about tables.  >:D
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31744.0
There you go  :cup:

Cheers
Evo
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:49:46 PM by evolution »
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline bushbandit

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Oh To Be On The Wallaby
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 08:52:56 PM »
Seen plenty of these around .They are very well made and look excellent as well.

http://www.utecanopies.com.au/dmax_2012_crewcab.html
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:09:10 PM by bushbandit »
2013 Mitsubishi Triton GLR 4x4
2015 Jayco Swift Outback

Offline EvoWishesHeWasATurtle

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 08:55:49 PM »
Haha only get the slide out table if you can take it right out and it's free standing..................... Oh wait it is

Haha why on earth would anyone think of a free standing table?!

Offline padoida

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »
Seen plenty of these around .They are very well made and look excellent as well.

x2 for the Caddy.  Better price then flexiglass for the same type of thing and much better finished IMO.

Prices I got for a dual cab hilux including fitting
GSE-S - $2570 (sliding windows, includes light duty racks)
GSE-L - $2770 (Lift up windows, includes light duty racks)
CME - $2900 (Panel doors)
CME-W - $3010 (Glass doors)

http://www.utecanopies.com.au/hilux05_dc.html

GSE has roof rails and includes light duty rails that can hold 35kg but heavier duty 75kg racks can be added. 
CME has mounting points for heavy duty racks.
No internal frame is required for either type so no holes through the roof to let water in.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 06:49:51 AM »
x2 for the Caddy.  Better price then flexiglass for the same type of thing and much better finished IMO.

Prices I got for a dual cab hilux including fitting

http://www.utecanopies.com.au/hilux05_dc.html

GSE has roof rails and includes light duty rails that can hold 35kg but heavier duty 75kg racks can be added. 
CME has mounting points for heavy duty racks.
No internal frame is required for either type so no holes through the roof to let water in.

They do they look very nice.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 07:59:06 AM »
I have an Alpha (Caddy) canopy, after looking at Flexigless, ARB and Isuzu the Alpha won it hands down.

The finish is much better, the roof is lined, the rear door has a single latch and the lock is the same thing used for car doors.
I have the GSE that comes with the roof rails and was told that it will hold a 100kg.

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 08:10:59 AM »
Thanks guys. I've just sent of a quote request form and asked a few questions (including if it takes more than 6 months to fit!). I might have to try and find somewhere that has one in stock so I can have a look at it.
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

KingBilly

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »
Mate, not sure of the background in regards to your previous experience with ARB stuff, but we are very happy, albeit only a month or two, with our ARB canopy.  We got both side windows as lift ups and the front window also lifts up to allow for cleaning and also cleaning of the cab window.

I believe EGR http://www.egrgroup.com/ are now the suppliers of the Isuzu "factory" canopies.

I looked at the Flexiglass Sport http://www.flexiglass.com.au/flexisport-showroom which has a centrally locked rear window (I believe they run a wire back into the cab and pick up the feed out of a rear door)

Also check out post #188 from Steve http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30095.msg497732#new

KB

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 09:57:51 AM »
King billy you are right my dmax canopy is EGR it does the job and came with the vehicle so i am not complaining
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline padoida

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 10:11:48 AM »
I have heard good reports about the ARB.

To wrap up my research on a twin cab hilux.  These were the prices on the cheapest models in the range and include the lift up windows on both sides unless stated.

Caddy (canopy of choice for me, stainless steel hardware with single handle on all doors)

ARB textured finish model
Cab height $2645
Cab height with racks $3311
High roof $2645
Racks not available on high roof model

Flexiglass
Tradesman High roof $2332
Tradesman High roof with racks $2927
Sport $3185

TJM - Heard bad reports about quality and water leaks but not first hand experience
Imported smooth finish model $2200
With racks $2795
Third rail for roof of car $175

EGR
$2305
With racks $2880

3XM - workmate has one that seems ok but poor quality in places, textured finish
$2200
with racks $2800

Avenger
$2795
with racks $3395

Offline Taz64

• Tent User
  • Just because you can, doesn't mean you should
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 12:45:45 PM »
I'm tossing up the idea of fitting a canopy to my Hilux.  I'm thinking of the dual window system.  They have the sliding glass in a lift up frame.
Cheers,

Taz   

2007 Toyota Hilux SR5 Turbo Diesel
Freetime semi-off road camper trailer

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 02:47:33 PM »
Mate, not sure of the background in regards to your previous experience with ARB stuff.
KB

Lets just say that Lost is more likely to become an Essendon supporter than I am an ARB customer again!

Just got a quote back from Caddy, $2940 fitted an colour coded to suit. Would still need to see one before I committed to it. One thing I have noticed on some canopies is they put an ugly looking spoiler thing on them with the 3rd brake light, not sure if I like that.

Has anyone had/seen a Ironman canopy? Are they any good?

Thanks for all the info  :cheers: