Author Topic: 2012 jayco swan 12v fridge question and charging question  (Read 5076 times)

Offline fiddlestix

• Swag User
  • Livin the dream
2012 jayco swan 12v fridge question and charging question
« on: August 19, 2012, 01:41:02 PM »
Hi all I have just purchased a new swan camper. The question I have is with the fridge I tried to run if off the fitted battery in the camper? Is it designed not to run of the van battery in case it is left on and flatten the camper battery. Or is the 12v function just to run from tow vehicle whilst traveling?
I understand that these fridges are designed for 12v but they are not very efficient and suck a battery dry in minutes.
One other question with the setec system how do I know when hooked up to the car if it's charging the battery in the camper.
I have had my car what they call hotwired to run fridge and charge camper battery this was suggested by jayco.
2013 D22 Dual Cab Navara roo systems chip 3inch exhaust OME suspension upgrade winch bar IPF spotties tub liner rear park sensors electronic rust snorkel.
2012 Jayco swan outback camper

Offline rkwpjv

• Tent User
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 02:16:25 PM »
The 12 v function on the fridge doesn't run off the caravan battery it's just for when on the road. When unpowered, we run it on gas, it seems very efficient too. Do you have a battery monitor on yours? When our battery is on charge either with the car or plugged in the monitor shows full immediately. This is a quick way of seeing that it is on charge.
Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prado 120 T/D Grande + 2010 Jayco Eagle Outback Alpha Pack

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: 2012 jayco swan 12v fridge question and charging question
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »
HI Mate, i'm a little confused byrkwpjv's post, our camper does run off the battery in the Outback Swan camper trailer.. When we bought it last year I checked all modes to make sure they were working.

We run our fridge on 12volt whilst travelling and we have an anderson plug that keeps the camper battery charged up via the dual battery in the pajero...

All is good.

Cheers

Scott
2011 Pajero RX2, white, auto diesel, genuine towbar, electronic rust proofing, brake controller, mats throughout, neoprene seat covers, tinted front windows, headlight and bonnet protectors, dual battery, 2013 Coromal MT450 Magnum Transforma.

Offline fiddlestix

• Swag User
  • Livin the dream
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 03:29:19 PM »
What type of trailer connections do you have mine came fitted at jayco with a 7 pin flat so that's what I had fitted to my car. Just unsure what pin runs the fridge and charges the battery.
2013 D22 Dual Cab Navara roo systems chip 3inch exhaust OME suspension upgrade winch bar IPF spotties tub liner rear park sensors electronic rust snorkel.

Offline fiddlestix

• Swag User
  • Livin the dream
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 03:33:14 PM »
Jenko
Do you have the setec syestem in your swan?
What year is ur swan?

The dealer told me that they will just do a Hotwire through my trailer plug which will charge the battery and run the fridge I have no idea just want to know if it is true an how do. Tell if it does work.

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 03:45:58 PM »
HI mate, i have a 2011 (october) Swan. Yes it has the setec. I have the 7 pin flat plug but did not get it 'hotwired' as I have been told that it is not very efficient and will drain the battery on your car in about 20 minutes, the inlaws have one on their car for their van... and nearly got caught out in the middle of the nulabor... you can buy a product that will turn off the fridge when the car stops...as far as I am aware the hotwire is connected via the black (no2 reverse) wire.....???? correct me if I am wrong.

I wired up an anderson plug with 6B&S wire directly to the battery.  The problem is that you don't know that it it working as the dometic fridge does not have any indication lights.

Mate, depends what you have in your car, do you have a dual battery??
2011 Pajero RX2, white, auto diesel, genuine towbar, electronic rust proofing, brake controller, mats throughout, neoprene seat covers, tinted front windows, headlight and bonnet protectors, dual battery, 2013 Coromal MT450 Magnum Transforma.

Offline fiddlestix

• Swag User
  • Livin the dream
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 04:11:03 PM »
Yes I do have dual battery and already have a Andersen plug on the car. I am concerned about charging the battery and running the fridge this way cause of the setec.

Your thoughts

Offline rkwpjv

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 04:28:20 PM »
HI Mate, i'm a little confused byrkwpjv's post, our camper does run off the battery in the Outback Swan camper trailer.. When we bought it last year I checked all modes to make sure they were working.

We run our fridge on 12volt whilst travelling and we have an anderson plug that keeps the camper battery charged up via the dual battery in the pajero...

All is good.

Cheers

Scott
Mine doesn't run off the caravans battery stand alone. The fridge only runs off 12 v when the car is connected.

Offline swannie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 04:56:32 PM »
Mines a 2012 Swan and I can run the fridge off the standard 100ah battery that jayco supplied.
Cheers
Greg
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2012 Jayco Swan Outback

It's going to cost me
sooooo much in mods I could
of bought a 200  series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 05:27:31 PM »
Mine doesn't run off the caravans battery stand alone. The fridge only runs off 12 v when the car is connected.

No worries mate.

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 05:30:26 PM »
Yes I do have dual battery and already have a Andersen plug on the car. I am concerned about charging the battery and running the fridge this way cause of the setec.

Your thoughts

Mate, i had the same worries, but I contacted the Jayco dealer and from inquiries on this forum and the Redarc website it eased my worries. Connected the anderson plug (via fuse) directly to the battery on the camper and I have not had an issue. Check the voltage when we arrive at camp and the volts are good. No problems at all. One thing that was recommended to me was not to have both the anderson plug connected to the car charging the camper battery at the same time as 240volt setec charging the battery, i understand that this would be the same with solar, correct me anyone if I am wrong..(i'm not an expert).

Give it a go. You will be better off.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 05:42:14 PM by Jenko67 »

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »
Hi, Our Outback Swan is a 2012 and our fridge is a Thetford. This is my observation and I suggest all you guys that think your fridge is running from the on board battery from factory to check into it properly, because that was my assumption up until the final leg of our 3 month trip away.  This leg of the trip was a straight through drive from Coral Bay to Perth 12 1/2hrs non stop (appart from fuel etc) 1140ish K's in one day.  Up until this point of the trip the fridge and freezer had remained cold for all legs of the trip although I noticed there was no heat from the top outside vent and on one 700km day we had some water leak out the fridge from the spill tray, but I assumed all was fine.

On the big trip home the freezer defrosted quite a lot so it got me thinking, so when I had the chance I got out my multi meter and started testing.  I should also let you know I have an isolator wired into my car 6B&S wired through a 50amp Anderson plug straight to the Swans battery. The battery is then wired to the on board setec.

Now this is what I have worked out.  If you look under the out side floor on the drivers side just in front of the fridge vent you will find a metal guard and under the guard will be a mess of wires.  If its like mine you will find two stupid plastic double screw wire connectors. One to join all the earths and one for the +'s.  I removed these connectors soldered and covered these joins with dual wall heat shrink before our trip, but didn't bother to check everything was wired how I thought it was if that makes sense? Basically there is no connection from the on board camper battery and the fridge. I also found the positive and negative connectors behind the fridge to be backwards, so it is good that it wasn't hooked up straight away.

OK deep breath sorry for the long winded response so far, but unfortunately I'm not there yet!!!  The factory wiring allows for the campers battery to be charged via the Black wire in the 7 pin trailer plug and also this is the wire that they power your fridge from.  Now back to under the floor stupid connectors.  The positive connector has three wires in it.  The black wire from the trailer plug and two red wires one that goes direct to the fridge and the other goes direct to the positive input on the setec.

Now the quick fix although your camper battery can be drained if your not careful with this method is........disconnect the red wire from the positive input on your Setec charger and connect it direct to your camper battery (a fuse in this line may be a good idea).  This method has issues that I'll go into another post but unless you have a fridge motion switch etc you run the risk of draining the camper battery.

OK if you need any further info or clarification or even photos let me know. It bugged the crap out of me and took me a bit to track all the wires (the old continuity tester got a work out), but I can assure you with that simple fix the fridge works perfect even from a warm start the temp dropped in the fridge when connected to the car and the top fridge vent outside was warm (took about half an hour for the heat exchanger to start to really work though.

Dave
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 07:32:55 PM »
I tested mine when i got it and it did work off the battery sitting in the garage, that was one reason for having the battery in the camper in the first place, to keep the fridge cool when travelling...

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 09:08:11 PM »
Hi Jenko,  I've read all your posts a couple of times a and I'm pretty sure you will find that if you only have 6 B&S going from the Anderson plug direct to your camper battery and haven't done anything else IE wires direct from your camper battery to the fridge, then your fridge will be exactly like our was (not working on 12 volts).  Like I said it is very deceptive the fridge (ours is the newer Thetford model) does stay very cold for a long time.

Trust me you might think it works, but unless that vent is pumping out some heat like it does on 240v and gas after you've travelled for I guess half an hour at least, then she aint workin!!!  You need a physical link from either your car battery or your camper battery.  Like I said I removed the Aux input from the Setec and connected that to the Camper battery to test my theory and hey presto a working fridge.  Up until I made that change the fridge did not work on 12volt even though I thought it did.

Dave

Offline Outback Camper

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 09:39:43 PM »
Great advice topender, must check my swan out for this problem, been on a few trips now and I thought the fridge didn't work very good or at all on 12v. I just thought if I plugged the Anderson plug in while traveling and have fridge on 12v Bob's your uncle.  :cheers:
2011 Jayco Swan Outback
2008 Toyota D4D Prado
1999 4wd d/cab Hilux

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 10:03:11 PM »
Great advice topender, must check my swan out for this problem, been on a few trips now and I thought the fridge didn't work very good or at all on 12v. I just thought if I plugged the Anderson plug in while traveling and have fridge on 12v Bob's your uncle.  :cheers:

That was my thinking...........and I can assure you I was wrong.  And to answer Fiddlestix other question.  Use a multi meter across the terminals on both your car battery when it is running and on your camper battery and they should be fairly similar in voltage IE 13.8v + or -. The problem with hotwiring like you have done as opposed to the heavy cable (6 B&S) Anderson route is voltage drop over the cable length.  Mine as an example has between 0 and .1 of a volt drop.  I believe The hotwire method will have a much larger drop causing the fridge to struggle a bit more.

Dave

Offline rkwpjv

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 11:48:04 PM »
Mines a 2012 Swan and I can run the fridge off the standard 100ah battery that jayco supplied.
Cheers
Greg

Do you think I may have a problem with mine? Mine is a '10 model. Should they run off the onboard battery??

Offline swannie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 12:01:34 PM »
Do you think I may have a problem with mine? Mine is a '10 model. Should they run off the onboard battery??

Mate, Im as confused as everyone!!! I iwll check it out again when we take it away next.. Still a few weeks off before the weather gets better.
Cheers
Greg
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2012 Jayco Swan Outback

It's going to cost me
sooooo much in mods I could
of bought a 200  series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 03:05:46 PM »
Hi Jenko,  I've read all your posts a couple of times a and I'm pretty sure you will find that if you only have 6 B&S going from the Anderson plug direct to your camper battery and haven't done anything else IE wires direct from your camper battery to the fridge, then your fridge will be exactly like our was (not working on 12 volts).  Like I said it is very deceptive the fridge (ours is the newer Thetford model) does stay very cold for a long time.

Trust me you might think it works, but unless that vent is pumping out some heat like it does on 240v and gas after you've travelled for I guess half an hour at least, then she aint workin!!!  You need a physical link from either your car battery or your camper battery.  Like I said I removed the Aux input from the Setec and connected that to the Camper battery to test my theory and hey presto a working fridge.  Up until I made that change the fridge did not work on 12volt even though I thought it did.

Dave

Hi Dave, I understand what you are saying, and you had me second guessing myself, but I tested it in the garage on 12volt and the dometic fridge did work... ???

Cheers

Scott

Offline fiddlestix

• Swag User
  • Livin the dream
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »
Well I done a few tests today my fridge does not work from the camper battery the fridge does work through the standard Hotwire well the massive voltage drop was evident anyway. I have a auto electrician coming in the morning to wire a Andersen plug to charge camper battery from tow vehicle. Is it a simple thing whilst I have him to run that Andersen plug wire to run the fridge also or keep the Hotwire setup I have already had done by the auto electrician that done my electric brakes ??

Offline fiddlestix

• Swag User
  • Livin the dream
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 07:43:50 PM »
One more thing the Andersen plug I am getting wired from the camper battery to draw bar will this be suitable to plug my portable solar into whilst free camping to charge camper battery???

My tow vehicle already has the Andersen plug on and wired up.

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »
My understanding is that you should have two runs from the cars battery.  One direct to the campers battery and another totally separate run to the fridge.  This is the ideal solution, but for myself I believe this is a total pain in the bum.  So my solution is to have a single run to the campers battery and a separate run (IE nothing to do with that stupid setec) direct from the camper battery to the fridge. Now my solution has advantages and some big disadvantages if your not careful.

Now the advantage is I have only the single + & - run (6B&S) from the car battery via my isolator or voltage sensitive relay through my 50 amp Anderson and direct to the camper battery.  So basically half the wire, plugs and time of the double run to the battery and fridge.  I then have 6B&S from the camper battery to the fridge.  Works perfectly.

Now the disadvantage of my method is that if the camper is left parked say on the side of the road or at the shops etc etc. assuming you have a VSR then you run the risk of a flat camper battery if left for too long if no VSR you may be going nowhere with both batteries flat.  Also if you intend on long bush camp stays, your battery may not charge fully between camp moves, because you have two loads (battery charging and Fridge running) on the single run.  Basically you will need to travel further to charge your battery up.

Now this is just a simple explanation of the basics.  It comes down to your intended use and travel distances and amount of draw on your camper battery if you are bush camping etc.  We always charge the camper fully before leaving home or where 240v is available, so basically having a full charged camper battery means essentially all power via the Anderson is available to the fridge.

Hope that isn't too confusing for you and like I said a single Anderson is fine depending on your camper use.  Ours works fine this way and even before I ran the 6 B&S direct from the camper battery to the fridge I had removed the aux in from the setec and connected that wire to the camper battery via a fuse and the fridge worked perfectly OK.  Having 6B&S direct to the camper battery from the car helps to eliminate a lot of the voltage drop you get with smaller cable.

Dave 

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 09:53:50 PM »
Hi Dave, I understand what you are saying, and you had me second guessing myself, but I tested it in the garage on 12volt and the dometic fridge did work... ???

Cheers

Scott

Test it again..........Not having a go, but I can assure you all is not as it seems.  If you have any doubt all I can say is start with your fridge at room temp, check the heat exchanger temp in behind the fridge and then turn the fridge to 12 volt leave it for 10 - 15 mins  and then check the temp at the back of the fridge again.  Becareful as the exchanger does get quite hot, but you should defintely feel a noticeable difference in heat.

Dave

Offline fiddlestix

• Swag User
  • Livin the dream
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »
What is 6b&s???

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 07:33:26 AM »
Hi Mate, 6 B&S is a thicker cable that has less voltage drop.. discussion here: http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=12760.0