Author Topic: Binoculars and telescope.  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Wuzgonna

• Tent User
Binoculars and telescope.
« on: July 01, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »
Hi there,

I am looking for a pair of binoculars and a telescope for general use when traveling. Has anyone got some recommendations of brands and types do's and don't?? They will be used for 'what's that over there' type scenarios whale spotting and star gazing for the kids.

Cheers

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
, The old rig gone but not forgotten...

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
Re: Binoculars and telescope.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 04:09:44 PM »

I met a bloke years ago who had one set up on his balcony and I viewed the rings of Saturn with it.  Absolutely blew me away!  I then became really keen to "have one" myself ... however one as 'fancy' as his has always been out of my price range, so I'm saving it for the bucket list after retirement.

Must tell you that the 'better end' telescopes don't travel very well (even moving house) and will need vital internal alterations to operate properly (ie: for you to see out them) I'm told.  I too wanted to take one travelling with me, but they need to be "prepared" again each time they are set up as internal parts move around in transit.  So they aren't a "set and forget" type of thing and you really need to know what you are doing with them ... I still don't ... so we decided not to bother with a "decent" telescope whilst on the road.  Since they are as complicated as camera's (some more so) it's not just a matter of knick down the shop and buy one either, so be prepared to do some intensive research.

If you are still really keen to get one, may I suggest heading to your local Astronomy Club and seeing though many different types of telescope at a Public Entry night?  You will be inspired by what you see "out there" and the members are only to happy to assist you in spending lots and lots of your hard earned!  Make sure you get one with a camera attachment if you'd like some photos.

Kit_e

P.S.  It's not difficult to fix the travel moved parts, just annoying that one must do it everytime it's set up and a little time consuming to get it right.  If you know what you are doing, then I've been told it's fairly easy ... but they still don't travel well.  Astronomers need to do it every time they move theirs to a club house or viewing location (like Mt Cootha eg) ... so make sure you know how to do it and give yourself time to get it right.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:30:02 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Disco4Guy

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 04:23:48 PM »
I did some shopping for binocs a couple of years ago.  I ended up choosing Bushnell Ultra HD 10x42.
http://www.bushnell.com/products/binoculars/legend-ultra-hd/191042/

I also have a pair of older, but new condition, Zeiss-Jena 10x50 Jenoptem (http://www.allbinos.com/301-Carl_Zeiss_Jena_Jenoptem_10x50W-binoculars_specifications.html) and the Busnells are brighter and sharper.  Although they're only 42s the Busnell Ultras use flourite glass, same stuff in those masive lenses at sporting events.

I compared these to top of line models like Leica and Zeiss and you couldn't tell the difference.  I purchased mine from Amazon as the local price here was insane.
Land Rover Discovery4 SDV6
Mountain Trail Campers Evolution

Offline nuthermug

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 06:06:34 PM »
I wanted to buy a telescope to use for the same resons you have given,
but was told by the salesman at the shop you cant have both unless you buy a pair of binocs and a telescope. Allso as Kit e kat has said they dont travel well. If you find a good allternative let me know .

Offline Wuzgonna

• Tent User
Binoculars and telescope.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 06:19:21 PM »
Thanks and that's all great feedback and makes complete sense about travel and telescopes! I'm doing some research on both items so will keep looking and post my findings...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
, The old rig gone but not forgotten...

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »
We bought a pair of binoculars a year or so back which we find very good.  They are Bushmaster brand 8 x 40.  The model is 840HWR.  We purchased them at BCF at the Sunshine Coast. 

In order to make sure we got the right pair, we made the salesman pull them all out of the showcase and walk them out the front door of the shop and we stood their trying them all out whilst looking at different objects down the street.

Peanut

Chris F

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 06:41:49 PM »
What about a spotting scope? It might be a good compromise between binoculars and a telescope. You will need a small tripod but the magnification is usually more than binoculars, but less than a telescope.

Offline danielhobby

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 08:13:33 PM »
as chris says a spotting scope would be worth a look for you(as used for spotting hits and groups and sighting in rifle scopes.I use an oldish 50power spotter that lives in a foam box and it has lasted many trips as well as sighting in my 220 swift at 400m etc.cheers danny
The sights,...the smells,...the companionship,...the thrill of the steep downhill,when I'm old I'll have it all

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 08:29:05 PM »
Have a chat to poppasmurf, he is into telescopes and things
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 02:15:29 AM »
As from binoculars I have 2 pairs.
Would love a proper telescope, but the higher end computerized ones that self set are too pricey
. Maybe one day with the lotto.
For the bins,I have 2.
A cheap pair and a not so cheap pair. The not so cheap Nikon's get handled with care. Never get lent out and also get back into the bag.
the cheaper ones, there everyday ones.
No bother who borrows them. Where they get stored, kids mucking around with them,or even dusty dirty conditions.
Needless to say the one pair get used far far more than the other.
If its "quick,what's over there" use, don't spend too much that you stress about the care for them too much you don't actually use them.
Goodluck
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....