Author Topic: Water crossing with kids - how should you do it?????  (Read 17340 times)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Water crossing with kids - how should you do it?????
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 09:46:12 PM »
Same as the ones D4D posted a link to, but big difference in price.!

My link is for people who buy Warn winches the other link is for people who buy Tigerz winches :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

efjay

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 09:55:24 PM »
Warn are overpriced...  Not everything is about how much it costs

Offline TroyE

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • you can't buy experience
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 09:56:53 PM »
having been in the very situation i'll give you my point of view.

It was just me and the Kids as the wife was on photo duty.
I wont go into the details of how it happened again lets just say we were on our side in water.

Things that we did right.
1. Have windows OPEN.  This sounds counter intuitive at first, but having elec. windows if the water was to cut the engine then the windows dont work and water would still be in the car.
2. Have kids belted in.
3. travel in a group.

Things I did wrong. (other than be in the situation)
1. Get too far away from help.  I was probably 100 meters away from the others.
2. I didnt panic, but i didnt react either. By the time my mate was standing on the side of the car ripping the kids out I was still trying to drive out of it.

I'm pretty sure it wont happen that way again, but if we do get stuck, i'm hoping the experience has taught me a valuable lesson.(s)

cheers

Shit scary stuff hope you all got out ok, what was the vehicle?

trot
you can't polish a turd, BUT you can roll it in glitter...

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 09:57:38 PM »
Warn are overpriced

Depends who you know ;)

Not everything is about how much it costs

See above ;)

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline LeighC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »
I have a preference for no seatbelts as if things go pear shaped as I don't think there's enough time to get the harness belts off the kids. (think about getting your own belt off, partner doing the same, trying reaching around and release the kids clip or find your seat belt knife, cut the belt without injuring the kid, all while the car is sliding and water is rising)

My reasoning behind no seatbelts is;
* a water crossing will be done at low speed, enough to make a bow wave.
* if things went wrong and I wanted to bail it would probably be from a cross current about to sweep the car away.
* grab kid(s) by chest-clothing and take them with you through the front

Windows should be down, don't need to be all the way.

The biggest part would be, if the risk is high and there's no real need, I'd give it a miss anyway.

Awesome topic though
Prado 150 series
Pioneer Argyle SE

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »
The biggest part would be, if the risk is high and there's no real need, I'd give it a miss anyway.

x2 even without kids.

cheers

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 10:17:06 PM »

I'd prefer all the way down or up. Half way you have the risk of hitting something on the edge of the glass.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline CJ1177

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2012, 10:21:03 PM »
My work recently put us through a advanced 4WD course, as part of the course the subject of water crossings came up.

Amongst other advice we were taught to have all belts off - for quick escape and no fiddling around with belt buckles under murky water, plus if the water is rising fast inside the vehicle you / kids will float up against the seat belt making it harder to undo.

We were also advised to have the upstream windows wound up to stop water flowing in & the downstream windows open for a quick escape.

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 11:09:52 PM »
I have a preference for no seatbelts as if things go pear shaped as I don't think there's enough time to get the harness belts off the kids. (think about getting your own belt off, partner doing the same, trying reaching around and release the kids clip or find your seat belt knife, cut the belt without injuring the kid, all while the car is sliding and water is rising)

My reasoning behind no seatbelts is;
* a water crossing will be done at low speed, enough to make a bow wave.
* if things went wrong and I wanted to bail it would probably be from a cross current about to sweep the car away.
* grab kid(s) by chest-clothing and take them with you through the front

Awesome topic though
My work recently put us through a advanced 4WD course, as part of the course the subject of water crossings came up.

Amongst other advice we were taught to have all belts off - for quick escape and no fiddling around with belt buckles under murky water, plus if the water is rising fast inside the vehicle you / kids will float up against the seat belt making it harder to undo.

We were also advised to have the upstream windows wound up to stop water flowing in & the downstream windows open for a quick escape.

I agree with these comments. Belts can stay off for any deep crossing as if it turns pear shaped you really dont want to waste time hunting for your belt cutter (especially if its already gone under the water)

Offline LeighC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 11:14:53 PM »
I'd prefer all the way down or up. Half way you have the risk of hitting something on the edge of the glass.

I was going more on the side of attempting to open the door against air pressure inside against none but handn't considered the edge however

would be a plan of choice for me from now on.
Prado 150 series
Pioneer Argyle SE

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 11:25:18 PM »
I would agree with the no seatbelts. Having done a couple of Helicopter Uderwater Escape training (HUET) courses for work where you are in a mock helicopter underwater, upside down, with a six point seat bealt on, it is hard enough to undo your own little lone trying to get at your kids in the back seat. On the HUET course we always had people panic even though it was a controlled environment with divers at the ready to get you out if need be, and even after they had practiced and practiced undoing the seat belts out of the water.

I can only imagine the amount of panicing that would go on inside a vehicle that is rapidly filing with water especially when kids are involved, so yeah no seat belts.

The electric window thing is something I have often thought about as well.
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 11:39:27 PM »
well, glad it got back on the the original question - water crossings. So how fast are you going that deep to need a seat belt on. Seriously if you have ever been in a crossing that deep you would know there is no way you can get that fast as to need  seat belt. I would rather have the windows down (and do) and have no seat belts on (I don't either in these cases) and as mentioned no pissing around trying to find cutters and knifes and windscreen hammers. Also life jackets are a bad idea as they will only cause to hold you up rather than letting you get out through the window. Think about the airline safety - don't inflate until you exit the plane!

My seven year old loves deep crossing and did all with me last year when we did the Cape. IMO none were even remotely going to cause a problem and I would say those who have done the same would also agree. If you enter a river flowing to fast then you should have turned back as mentioned.

Oh this is my opinion and no opinions were hurt in the making of mine.

My son likes to try and reach the water while we are crossing deep water. Fun for the while family. This was Nolans last year and I know a lot of swaggers that also did this crossing with out harm.

My son wound his window up as the water stated to come in over it. Mine stayed open.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:11:22 AM by SteveandViv »
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 11:39:54 PM »
The electric window thing is something I have often thought about as well.

They do stop working, my brother sunk his Navara two weeks ago on his own driveway (yep he has a cool driveway).  Him, partner and two boys 12 and 15 in the car, windows up.  By the time he realised they were in trouble as the car started floating he could only get one window nearly all the way down before they stopped working.  He also said the doors all locked so they all had to climb out the one window (this confused me, do navaras not have manual door buttons inside?).  Luckily the car stayed upright b ut it ended up in water deep enough to make the dash cluster look like a fish tank.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2012, 06:33:50 AM »
Have one of these at each exit point...

Hey D4D have you ever tried the Life Hammer on a seatbelt. I was a Firie for 24 years in a former life and we found them totally useless at cutting seat belts. We used a stanley knife. Ok for breaking glass though. Just might let you down when needed is all. They also may have improved over the years as well.
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2012, 08:00:56 AM »
Hey D4D have you ever tried the Life Hammer on a seatbelt. I was a Firie for 24 years in a former life and we found them totally useless at cutting seat belts. We used a stanley knife. Ok for breaking glass though. Just might let you down when needed is all. They also may have improved over the years as well.

This something I often wondered. A friend bought one of them years ago when they first came out and we always questioned its ability to cut the belts. Always wanted to get a spare strap from somewhere and try em. I have no doubt the hammer part would work.  all the Japanese bullet trains have them mounted for exactly that reason.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2012, 08:13:11 AM »
Question. Are these not the same as we all got with our Cargo Barriers? Not sure if the belt cutter is on them though. Mine is in the boot, so to speak so can't be sure.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2012, 08:51:07 AM »

Good points but if you roll onto your side the seat belts may prevent everybody falling about and it will be the downstream windows that will be underwater or facing the riverbed.   I've never been in this situation and the deepest crossing I've done was a bit over 1m.   I imagine the problem occurs more often when normal cars try to cross flooded causeways rather than 4WD's crossing creeks.   If you get pushed off a causeway you end up in deep water whereas in a creek crossing you're less likely to go from fording depth to over-the-roof in the blink of an eye.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-SMITH-AND-WESSON-FIRST-RESPONSE-RESCUE-KNIFE-EXPRESS-POST-/400260032393?pt=AU_KnivesSwords&hash=item5d315b6789#ht_2243wt_1378  is an alternative rescue tool.   Many knife manufacturers make them and they include a belt cutter and glass breaker
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2012, 08:56:38 AM »
I like those ideas, you can't tell you're the OH&S guy :)
[/quote

But im the fun OHS guy
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 09:14:06 AM »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-SMITH-AND-WESSON-FIRST-RESPONSE-RESCUE-KNIFE-EXPRESS-POST-/400260032393?pt=AU_KnivesSwords&hash=item5d315b6789#ht_2243wt_1378  is an alternative rescue tool.   Many knife manufacturers make them and they include a belt cutter and glass breaker

Oh I like that, might replace my old faithful Spyderco knife...

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2012, 09:19:18 AM »
Lots of options here locally.

http://www.firetrader.com.au/category41_1.htm

beware of cheap ebay knock offs.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2012, 09:24:58 AM »
Now you've dont it, I want a Fubar Forceible Entry Tool now :)
http://www.firetrader.com.au/prod491.htm

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2012, 10:10:47 AM »
This something I often wondered. A friend bought one of them years ago when they first came out and we always questioned its ability to cut the belts. Always wanted to get a spare strap from somewhere and try em. I have no doubt the hammer part would work.  all the Japanese bullet trains have them mounted for exactly that reason.

The seat belt cutter does work(on goodquality ones) the cheap eBay ones may not be that flash, but you cut diagonal down the seat belt rather than straight across. Even if you cut a longer length cut it's quicker/easier than attempting to cut straight across. Worth a try to prove it works and rest easy,also practice so in an emergency you don't panic and calmly cut yours or someone else's of you can't get to the seat belt release
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2012, 12:14:15 PM »
Thanks for all the great input guys, there is some good info coming out of this.

Regards

Jas

Offline rossow

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »
**** scary stuff hope you all got out ok, what was the vehicle?

trot
It was  Jeep.  It may even been the one the OP was referencing :(

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
is it an issue?
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2012, 01:23:12 PM »
It should never really be an issue. If you can't walk across the river (due to water flow, or depth) you shouldn't drive it. I have never had problems with turning back. It can give you the Shits, but meh, if thats the worst thing...

If you can walk it before crossing, you should find any hidden nasties on the river bed.

One way to do it is you walk across marking your route with sticks - one wheel track on the way across, then a bit wider than the other wheel track on the way back... Then drive between the sticks.

If your car does somehow start floating down river, open the door and flood the car let it sink to the bottom, and get traction again. It works...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home