Author Topic: Bunnings vs Masters  (Read 16680 times)

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better
Re: Bunnings vs Masters
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 09:24:43 PM »
How is McD's involved? They stick to their knitting; selling millions of burgers and buying property.

On their web page some stores have the Mcafe inside them or connected to them i think

GG

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 09:25:11 PM »
But I also believe that Maccas will not be in every store.

Greg

......Maccas in Masters???? Bugger me, that's gotta draw the crowds......"Would you like some 3 inch nails with that sir?......."

Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
Aussie Jays Big Red CT

Offline swannie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 09:26:29 PM »
On their web page some stores have the Mcafe inside them or connected to them i think

GG

Your right mate..quote form ther website

Recharge your batteries at the McDonalds Café! Come on in, take the weight off and take time out to relax while you consider your next project.

Now open in selected stores, McCafés at Masters are just one more way that we make a great experience, even better.

1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2012 Jayco Swan Outback

It's going to cost me
sooooo much in mods I could
of bought a 200  series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Crockett

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 09:42:04 PM »
If Maccas is in the same development they will have stopped any other competition,,,, any company that can tell coke how much it will pay to be supplied by them is most likely doing the same sort of dictating to woolies,
and as for good for competition with bunnies, be a bit like the competition between shell and caltex,, do the still email each other their prices to keep the market fair?
mumble , rant , grown  >:D
Bring on an invasion by home depot and walmart for some competition, and 24 hour shopping while we are at it,,, sorry gotta go the white van just pulled up out front to take me back to where I belong  ;D

But at the end of the day we have to get our new toys and bits from somewhere, so a change is as good as a holiday,,,, no it ain't, Id rather be using my camper  :'(

Offline sparksy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »
Bunnings over here in WA opened a store in a suburb called Harrisdale. Masters have opened a store about 5km down the same road. Now guess what Bunnings answer to that is.
 Yep they are building a new store right across the road from the Masters store.
They are just like their food counterparts, wont let one get away from the other and leave no room for a third party to open new stores. Here in WA Coles and Woolies have no real competition and they dictate what they will pay the suppliers.
Remenber when Bunnings first opened their warehouse stores they were so cheap on everything and forced any competitors to close up shop. Their prices have slowly crept up and people still think they are getting a bargain.

Sorry rant over. :D

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »
i wondered if this meant that bunnings had gone into the flavoured milk business
Jon

CRD TD42TI Patrol - Ultimate Xtrk

Offline Crockett

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 11:49:51 PM »
So seeing as how they look like ending up across the road from each other everywhere, and they both have the same "we'll beat it by 10%" policy, you can walk back and forward from one to the other until its Free  >:D

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »
So seeing as how they look like ending up across the road from each other everywhere, and they both have the same "we'll beat it by 10%" policy, you can walk back and forward from one to the other until its Free  >:D

I like your way of thinking!
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2012, 07:21:51 AM »
Haven't tried Masters yet as there isn't one on Brisbane northside and I'm not interested in driving across the city when I have three Bunnings stores within 10 minutes drive.

When I can I use my local hardware store, run by an old guy and his wife, as they will sell me a metre of conduit or seven screws if that's what I need.  I'm dreading the day when he finally retires and shuts up shop.  Unfortunately he seems to want a life as well as he closes lunchtime on Saturday.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2012, 07:34:33 AM »
Dont take my word for it because i now work at Masters at Rutherford .

i beg to differ from one of the comments where it was said that they both sell rubbish and they would rather go to a specalist store .

masters

the first thing that got me was the QUALITY of there products and then there prices . Have a look at there power tools [ masters ] and then look at there hand tools .... go and look at there kitchens ....... they have employed MANY tradeis and put them in relevent departments .i would rather talk to a tradie that wants to talk to u rather than a young kid that knows NOTHING .
Masters to me has better gear and supierier customer service .the competitor has to now pull its socks up ......
i got a sale paper in the letter box from bunnings and from what i can see ... Masters is still cheaper

craig

Offline scuba100

• Learning the Ropes
Bunnings vs Masters
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2012, 07:48:07 AM »
Bunnings did the same thing when they first opened. Employed tradies and promoted the fact that their staff knew their stuff. These days I avoid the staff because they read the packet instructions to me when I ask a question

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2012, 08:24:28 AM »
The trouble with the fierce competition is that it only gets rid of the peripheral players. Coles and Woolies own the grocery market. McDonald's, KFC and Burger King/Hungry Jack's have caused so many of the good roadside restaurants to close. Now we all pay $5 for a poor excuse for a hamburger. And similarly here, we will be forced to shop at one or the other and they'll be happy to each take their share of the market and so what if one or two people are diligent enough to try on the price gaurantee. They'll employ staff to be obstacles in that process.

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • So long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2012, 12:49:55 PM »
I found after masters opened that when I did go into Bunnings that I got smiles and a hello from the staff and some even asked if i need a hand compared to pre masters where it was fend for yourself.

personally a prefer a local hardware that is tucked away around the corner from us but on the weekend they are only open Saturday morning and weekends is fix-it time
Jeep Grand Cherokee -  Customline Deluxe off road - Jayco Starcraft 20.62-3 OB

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2012, 01:10:42 PM »
i wondered if this meant that bunnings had gone into the flavoured milk business
The local Repco store to work has more lollies and junk food than quality car parts now....
--
Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld

Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne.
--

Offline Camping Grant

• The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but seeing with new eyes
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Such Is Life
    • Grant & Kerryn's Camping Adventures
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2012, 01:42:17 PM »
We have a Masters at Nerang on the Gold Coast. I think it must have been one of the first opened in Australia. Just down the road, you can see it from Masters is Bunnings which has been established at Nerang for ages. The Masters at Nerang does have a Mickey D's in it, and also, just down the road (closer than Bunnings) is a full McDonalds store. I'd imagine the same guy runs both Maccas.

I don't have a preference for store. Masters is air-conditioned, where Bunnings isn't, and the stores appear to be alot more tidy, however, I'd nearly say that the store staff at Bunnings have a better product knowledge (if you can ever find one that want's to talk). Masters do seem to have a lot of staff.

Remember, Bunnings is owned by Westfarmers who also own Coles. Masters is a joint venture between Woolworths and Lowes Home Improvement from the USA (not to be confused with Lowes menswear in Australia).

Cheers
Grant

Offline fuji

• ...Kamikaze... "The Divine Wind"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • amulatio memoranda (A walk to remember)
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2012, 02:50:55 PM »
Do you ever work :)
Yes, booze bus tonite and day off Thurs & Friday :police:
2012 Workmate and Aussie Swag Camper.

Offline fuji

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »
I've got one opening up soon just up the road. The building is nearly finished it'd bloody MASSIVE :cheers:
[/quote
I got tired walking around lol,

Offline fuji

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2012, 02:53:10 PM »
They're popping up all over the place. One near me is nearly done, opposite Bunnings; can only be good for prices! Be very interesting to watch that battle rage across Ferntree Gully Road! I did some work on one in Mornington, and it was bloody enormous inside. Looking forward to checking one out.

So whats your thoughts Donuts? Do they stock some quality stuff amongst the crap (a la Bunnings), or is it just a giant $2 shop ;D ;D
More variety, last thing you would expect to see is wahing mashines

Offline kennyk

• Sleeping Bag User
    • Darkroom Arts - Sports Action Photography
Bunnings vs Masters
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2012, 03:06:30 PM »
There is a Masters set to open shortly at North Lakes north side of  Brisbane, only a two minute drive from home. Given that my nickname for Bunnings is "everything but" (everything but the one you need) I'm hoping Masters can rise to the occasion  :D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:20:18 PM by kennyk »
2000 VX Prado,
Imported Camper Trailer - "Hey, Its not great but its better than nothing"

Offline fuji

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2012, 05:02:04 PM »
At least 5 cents for a placcy bag goes towards Planet Ark.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2012, 05:15:08 PM »
Bunnings etc, and shit service go hand in hand.

Its the price we pay for demanding things cheaper and cheaper.. nobody to blame but ourselves...

The small quality hardware store with a bloke there that could tell you that the way your planning on doing the job is wrong and this is how you should really do it, are 20+years gone.
--
Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld

Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne.
--

Offline atregent

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2012, 12:54:40 PM »
notting hill?

According to the Masters website, there's one opening in Oakleigh South in June.
Cheers
Anthony

Offline MarkGU

• TOYOTA RECOVERY UNIT
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Member no. 3696
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2012, 02:22:48 PM »
 ;D
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2012, 11:32:32 AM »
We had a wonder around the Masters at Rutherford last night, and seemed like a good shop. Usual range of stuff, some of it is crap, some of it is looks pretty good. As with most things no doubt you will get what you paid for! Did however nothice that they had these plastic storgae cases that are similar to the spacecase that ARb sell. They were about 2/3rds of the price and would would probably a be good alternative!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:24:48 AM by Lcandlc »

I can only please one person per day, today is not your turn, tomorrow is not looking good either!

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »
The small quality hardware store with a bloke there that could tell you that the way your planning on doing the job is wrong and this is how you should really do it, are 20+years gone.

On the way out, certainly, but still hanging on in some places.  The Tru-Value store on Newman Road at Geebung (just south of the rail crossing) is the only one left that I know of on the north side of Brisbane - if anyone knows of any others please post them up.

When I landed here 30 years ago there was a hardware store in almost every shopping strip - then Bunnings came in and drove them all out of business.  Both Dogalogue stores near us closed several years ago, nowadays my only options are the Mitre 10 which is still hanging on at Toombul or the Bunnings at Albion, Carseldine or Stafford - and of course my friend at Geebung, but he is only open Sat morning over the weekend.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!