Author Topic: Hi Lift Jack - Do I really need one?????  (Read 31259 times)

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
Hi Lift Jack - Do I really need one?????
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:14:35 AM »
Hi Guys.

I have a Hi Lift Jack that is not currently fitted to my Cruiser and I was pondering wether I really needed one at all. I have a full recovery kit and a warn Hi Mount winch. I am setting the cruiser up as a tourer (It has muddies at the mo) and will mainly be towing my CT around with it, I will be doing the hi country and some remote out back travel, but nothing extreme at this stage.

What do others thinK??

I ask this question because as a Fisheries Officer i have been to just about every corner of inland and coastal NSW, and encountered some major 4WD challenges. For the past 17 years I have had a hi lift jack with me on these travels, and have never ever had cause to use it. I have found the winch (or second vehicle when availiable)to be sufficient on every occasion. We carry a Tirfor also for just in case scenarios and have used it on one or two occasions.

In my mind it would most probably be a dead weight sitting on the side of the roof rack and eating into my fuel consumption. 

Your thoughts??

regards

jas

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Hi Lift Jack - Do I really need one?????
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:16:16 AM »
I've only ever used mine to pull star pickets out of the ground :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Moto Mech

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 08:24:47 AM »
Ive carried one around on all our travels for the past 12yrs and only used it once(and then I dented the vehicle with it as it fell over :-[) and have recently removed it from our camper trailer to the corner of the shed.
I now carry a long reach hyd. bottle jack instead. Plus other recovery gear of coarse.
ARB, the only gear for my Landcruiser 105
Red Earth Camper Trailer

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 08:52:36 AM »
Ive carried one around on all our travels for the past 12yrs and only used it once(and then I dented the vehicle with it as it fell over :-[) and have recently removed it from our camper trailer to the corner of the shed.
I now carry a long reach hyd. bottle jack instead. Plus other recovery gear of coarse.

Thant has been my experience with them also at 4WD training courses we have done, They appear dangerous. I use one of the alloy (lite) trolly jacks in the work truck now, it is ideal and fast for tyre changes, it does take up a bit of space though.

Regards

Jas
The following users thanked this post: Bongo

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:47:56 AM »
I would say no ... If you have the winch and another vehicle, then it is unlikely you will use it. In fact you seem to have answered the question yourself in that you havent needed one at work. relegate it to the shed and take something more valuable.... like beer!  :cheers:

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »

Moto Mech,
Any suggestions as to brand, or where to buy a decent hydraulic jack.  I don't think the little one with my paj will work on anything but smooth ground, so I was thinking a decent jack with a bit more reach would cover the trailer and car a bit more reliably.
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 12:14:58 PM »
Any suggestions as to brand, or where to buy a decent hydraulic jack. 

Masada are pretty good, SuperCheap sell them. Wait until they have their discount sales.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »
Similarly, I've carried one for a while. I have used it on the Cruiser at home, when changing the suspension but would be more wary on uneven ground. I have anew hydraulic jack that I'm intending putting into the Cruiser.

I carried it for use with the camper. Changing wheels, getting out of a bog, over a log or even moving the camper sideways, they're pretty handy. I tow a large, heavy plant trailer around and the high lift is terrific for that. They're fast and go higher than any hydraulic jack can.

I wouldn't advise anyone to rush out and buy one, but if you have one they are a handy tool on occasion.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »
My most creative use was when putting the gas struts back on my boat loader. Nothing else I had or tried could compress the struts, so I affixed large washers to each jaw to positively locate the ends of the struts, then closed the jaws, lifted the whole contraption to the camper and the struts into place before releasing the tension. Was a little hairy, but I don't know how else I could have done it.
Julian

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »
My most creative use was when putting the gas struts back on my boat loader. Nothing else I had or tried could compress the struts, so I affixed large washers to each jaw to positively locate the ends of the struts, then closed the jaws, lifted the whole contraption to the camper and the struts into place before releasing the tension. Was a little hairy, but I don't know how else I could have done it.

Its amazing the pressure that is stored in gas struts, I have herd of people using ratchet straps to do the same thing, sounds a bit scarey to me!

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 12:49:13 PM »
Its amazing the pressure that is stored in gas struts, I have herd of people using ratchet straps to do the same thing, sounds a bit scarey to me!
Without wanting to take this thread off track, I tried rachet straps, just pulled over the top of the struts and through the webbing. I'm almost 110kg and couldn't budge these things with all my weight on one of them.

Back on track, I've got an ARB roofrack and the Kaymar HiLift holder for it, but I took it off a while back as I thought I was wasting moeny carrying the jack ands shovel around. I've needed that shovel half a dozen times since then and have the jack sitting on the floor in front of the rears seats today. Might just put it all back up, haven't noticed it's absence when at the bowser anyway.
Julian

Offline SUPA105

• Saw it....wanted it....chucked a fit....got it
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »
Mine only now gets used now for maintenance jobs on trailers etc around the shed.....they are a handy tool used correctly. With all the other recovery gear I have not needed it for a few years now.

Cheers
2000 GXL Landcruiser with toy's
2004 Wallaby camper
& bugger all time to get the two together.....

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »
I carry one of these under the driver's seat - an ordinary single lift bottle jack just isn't enough in most cases.  I also have a high-lift jack which has never been used.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 03:55:12 PM »
I carry one of these under the driver's seat - an ordinary single lift bottle jack just isn't enough in most cases.  I also have a high-lift jack which has never been used.

Looks like a good option. I carry two standard type bottle jacks, however on some occasions their lift height has been an issue. This one looks the goods. Might have to get me one.

Regards

Jas

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 04:18:05 PM »
I agree with no... never ever seen someone use one offroad ever!

But they do look pretty welded to the roofrack or hanging off the back door covered in dirt.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »
I agree with no... never ever seen someone use one offroad ever!

But they do look pretty welded to the roofrack or hanging off the back door covered in dirt.

:cheers: What I was thinking.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 04:45:38 PM »
Just got back from my ALDI ..

1.3 Tonne trolley jack .. $19.99 !! Good enough for the workshop...

Cheers

Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »
Just got back from my ALDI ..

1.3 Tonne trolley jack .. $19.99 !! Good enough for the workshop...

Cheers

Steve

Good move, Steve.

Make sure you use axle stands etc before getting under anything...........
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline sschmez

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • sschmez's "Huts" photos on flickr
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 11:04:14 PM »
No, sounds like you don 't need one.

I always take mine on trips and often use it.
It lives across the back floor around town, and up on the rack with my equally well used shovel in the kaymar holder in the bush. I guess it balances the weight of the foxwing on the other side of the rack.

Fuel economy ???? whats that. I guess I could drive a buzz box if I wanted fuel economy .... or throw away the winch, winch bar, muddy tyres, roofrack etc.etc.etc.

Quickest, easiest way to lift the trailer is with the highlift on the gusset right behind the mudguard. I don't want to grovel around under it with a hydraulic jack and with the alko independant I don't think I could lift it high enough to even change a tyre with a hydraulic jack.

On the car I can use it on the bullbar, towbar or sliders to lift, shift and slide. Plenty of lift to overcome the drop of the suspension, for changing tyres or packing under the tyres in ruts for clearance or traction.

In my recovery kit I carry some short chains, hooks and together with my drag chains and other recovery gear I can winch with my highlift. It's handy for going backwards and a sense of security in case I can't use the electric winch on the front. With the right gear it works really well for winching.

I've used my highlift to lift fallen timber.... sometimes it's not safe(safest) to saw a log that's across a track in steep country where it's pretty high above the track but not high enough to slip under with the oversize tyres, susp. lift, roofrack.etc. ... jack up the low side and onwards you go. sometimes it's just safer or quicker this way.

I once repaired my drag link using the handle off my highlift and some other bits and pieces when the steering damper bracket got hung up on a speedbump log and tore it in half.... I wouldn't have got out of the bush that day without it (yes I have pics).

I've also used it to lift star pickets and for lifting and supporting the roof when replacing posts or walls. Yes, they could be dangerous when not used properly but so far so good, and no problems ... just gotta take your time and think about it.

Wouldn't leave home without mine
Stevo

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 06:41:44 AM »

When I had mine , it went with the camper when I sold it , it was very handy when I had to check the bearings on the camper or change a tyre. As Stevo says it saves crawling under the camper with a bottle jack and a lot quicker. For the extra weight on the camper it does not worry me.

I now have to get another one for my new camper so any one who does not want theirs I am more than happy to give it a new home  ;D

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 07:29:46 AM »
There is a subs deal at EMG that offers a bunch of mags and a HiLift for $150 ATM.
Julian

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
Quote from: sschmez
and with the alko independant I don't think I could lift it high enough to even change a tyre with a hydraulic jack

Which is why I bought the double lift bottle jack - an ordinary jack wouldn't lift the Odyssey high enough.  Yes, I could have used the hi-lift (if I'd brought it on that trip!) but it's a large heavy piece of gear to cart around just to avoid lying on your back to position the bottle jack - and I'd still need a bottle jack for the Jeep as I can't use a hi-lift to change tyres on that.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 10:19:11 AM »

It lives across the back floor around town, and up on the rack with my equally well used shovel in the kaymar holder in the bush. I guess it balances the weight of the foxwing on the other side of the rack.

Fuel economy ???? whats that. I guess I could drive a buzz box if I wanted fuel economy .... or throw away the winch, winch bar, muddy tyres, roofrack etc.etc.etc.

Quickest, easiest way to lift the trailer is with the highlift on the gusset right behind the mudguard. I don't want to grovel around under it with a hydraulic jack and with the alko independant I don't think I could lift it high enough to even change a tyre with a hydraulic jack.

On the car I can use it on the bullbar, towbar or sliders to lift, shift and slide. Plenty of lift to overcome the drop of the suspension, for changing tyres or packing under the tyres in ruts for clearance or traction.

In my recovery kit I carry some short chains, hooks and together with my drag chains and other recovery gear I can winch with my highlift. It's handy for going backwards and a sense of security in case I can't use the electric winch on the front. With the right gear it works really well for winching.

I've used my highlift to lift fallen timber.... sometimes it's not safe(safest) to saw a log that's across a track in steep country where it's pretty high above the track but not high enough to slip under with the oversize tyres, susp. lift, roofrack.etc. ... jack up the low side and onwards you go. sometimes it's just safer or quicker this way.

I once repaired my drag link using the handle off my highlift and some other bits and pieces when the steering damper bracket got hung up on a speedbump log and tore it in half.... I wouldn't have got out of the bush that day without it (yes I have pics).

I've also used it to lift star pickets and for lifting and supporting the roof when replacing posts or walls. Yes, they could be dangerous when not used properly but so far so good, and no problems ... just gotta take your time and think about it.

Stevo

Sound like you have had a few issues and cause to use your Hi Lift a bit Stevo, you could always just buy a landcruiser mate and you wouldn't have cause to use it like me!  ;D :angel:

Seriously though thanks for the info and the detailed post.

regards

Jas
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:21:30 AM by Jason B »

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 07:15:20 PM »

Stevo

Theres ur answer mate, i too have used it in similar situations to this, my attitude is, u can never be to preparded, My 2c worth anyway,

Regards Luke

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »
Alomst 110 Kg's and you are BigJules, I had better lose 30 kg just to get down that light.  Off track.  I have always had a high life "kangaroo" jack and would never travel without it.  The amount of times I have got out of trouble with it.  I carry a small trolley jack and a hydraulic bottle jack in the space bow in the back, but when the ground around here gets muddy, it is a 1 meter x 1 metre square of 7 ply, with a chunk of jarrah on top and the high lift on that.  I could try with the trolley or bottle, but they both sink very quickly, and I rarely want to lay in mud or water to try to put them in a good position to do the lift.
I have 50 mm sqaure tubing welded onto the undersides of my bull bar and tow bar, the tongue of the high lift goes in, and with the board underneath, there is no slipping.
Regards
Tjupurula