Author Topic: I have to say it..... F1 is rubbish  (Read 75623 times)

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
I have to say it..... F1 is rubbish
« on: March 18, 2012, 05:41:05 PM »
It has to be said...despite KERS and DRS and control tyres, F1 continues to be the most over rated snoozefest of a sport going around. You can hardly call it a sport, more a procession of over priced, over hyped rubbish going round and around and around.

I love my motor sport, esp the V8s and I reckon Melbourne can keep its trainwreck of an event - the Clipsal is by far a better product.

The new commentator is a laugh as well....he makes a trip to the toilet sound like a hyped up, must see spectacular.

Paul (SA)
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: I have to say it..... F1 is rubbish
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 05:48:29 PM »
Which F1 Car could handle a Treg Hitch , angry sounding buzzzzz boxes . V8s ok F1 Snooooooooooooooze Timmmmmmmmme  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:06:52 PM »
I noticed the drivers received a pillow as a trophy on the winners podium.....

:cup:
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:09:47 PM »
If you are going to look at the positive side of F1,
The best thing is the costs to put on this snoozfest  comes out of Victorians taxes and not the countries taxes .. ;D
I believe somewhere to the tune of 70 million dollars..think how many hospitals. road  and campsite improvements you could have Victorians   :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:14:31 PM by albany_nomads »
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:51:30 PM »
 8)  Bring on the $$ as long as l dont have to watch it . For the greater good is really good , but its not me . So Enjoy  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »
Quote from: Paul (SA)
It has to be said...despite KERS and DRS and control tyres, F1 continues to be the most over rated snoozefest of a sport going around. You can hardly call it a sport, more a procession of over priced, over hyped rubbish going round and around and around.
You have just noticed this?
but you could say this about V8 Taxi's too... also a snoozefest procession in most races..
What ever happened to close racing where more than 4-6 of 16 cars had a chance to win everytime out?? isnt that what advertisers want anymore?

F1 and V8's etc are Shitful dull with fields just made up numbers with only a couple of cars with a serious chance of winning.. how is that fun ??
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline oldblade

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Porsche it's broken again
I have to say it..... F1 is rubbish
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:08:34 PM »
I am a big fan of motor sport but the v8 and f1 are really starting to bore me I watched the senna DVD today and he talked about how the electronics made it so anyone can drive
I ride an old 96 fireblade with no electronic aids and I rode a new one the other day and I can't agree more the next time I overtake a new bike out on the track it will make me feel so much better to know I'm doing it with skill and not electronics aids.
 I watched the f1 today what a load of crap that drs is. turn off some of the electonics and make it interesting. Safety is important that's why we have lost some of the greats like senna  but we have gotten to the point where we have lost the racing

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:42:57 PM »
Wired World Of Sports summed it up pretty well,...

These ****in cars are going round and round and round, its so ****ing boring.
I have to agree, it really is ****ed.
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 08:52:31 PM »
Wasn't to sorry to see the F1's go to the Vic's quite a while ago,
we basically replaced it with the Clipsal 500, best move we ever made..........
(and the crowd numbers confirm it)

Offline pootrol

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 08:59:03 PM »
never been interested in f1. im a big car lover but even v8 touring cars have no emotion or feeling. i remember the days of cars that we could actually own going around the track with brave characters.  now that was interesting racing.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »
I enjoyed watching the race today. We are following f1 for a couple of years now and love it.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 09:35:40 PM »
Been following F1 for about 40 years. Much better than the tin tops.
Tin tops run into each other and keep going. Can't do that in open wheel racing. You need to be able to drive.

Get rather annoyed at the delay to F1 though. Over 90 mins to get it sorted. THAT is boring. I think the F1 officials have lost the plot.
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 09:39:55 PM »
Both F1 and V8Supercars are both so sanitised now thats its hard to get any sort of emotional involvement with them.  Its a consumer product, no one involved in it will say boo in case they get hauled before the judiciary.

V8 supercars lost their mojo after the skaif/ingall  and murphy/ambrose incidents.  Even the beloved Dick Johnson no longer offers pertinant observations about incidents anymore - its all toe the comany line.

I live 5k up the road from Winton.  In the 70's and 80's id go to the motor races numerous times a year there for quality events, rounds for various national champianchips - Touring Cars, Series Production, Formula 5000, Sports Sedans, and then venture off to Calder and Sandown for the reciprocal events there. 

In those days (stuff, i must be old 2 say that) the cars were under tyred, under braked and overpowered.  No electronic aids or telemetry, the driver had to tell the pit crew what he needed for better times, not be told by a computor.  Those times are lost now.  Thats why I get the most enjoyment now of watching the historic tourers.

Sh%t I saw some great cars in action:

Stormin Norman Beechey in the HT Monaro up against Moffat in the Coca Cola Mustang at the old Hume Weir Circuit.  Classic Good cop/ Bad cop stuff.

Pete Geoghan in the superfalcon and Beechey in his regular HO at Winton once, have pics somewhere of Norm leaning against the guard of his Shell coloured HO, must have nearly been his last touring car mount.

Brocky in his early years in a LC XU1.

All the classic sports sedans, Jane, Moff, Gardner, McCormack, Thomson et al, all driving their n&ts off with limited knowledge of where they were going to end up.

Now I go to historic Winton ance a year, and to the V8 round every year or so, depending on the weather!!

Bring back the old days grandpa!.

EDIT:

Above said, not that I watched the entire race, congratulations must go to Daniel Riciardello for his great effort.
Hopefully his being in a competitive car will lead to great things, and a long future that may get some old farts like me a bit enthused about f!.

:cup:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:57:42 PM by Mace »

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 09:58:08 PM »
The Albany "Classic "(round the town)  and the Albany "Mt  Clarence Hill Climb"  is on for those motor heads...... in Albany WA on the long weekend in June.
If you like the old classics racing ..click on this links below and it will bring up some photos of some old classics and for some of you ....memorys

http://www.vsccwa.com.au/cms/index.php?page=2011-albany-round-the-houses

http://www.vsccwa.com.au/cms/index.php?page=2011-albany-rth-smw

https://picasaweb.google.com/106460893817571962217/MtClarenceHillClimbJune2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCLyjtJf_7p-whAE&feat=email#

John

heres a couple I took a few years ago

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:25:32 PM by albany_nomads »
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 10:01:54 PM »
Gee Mace, your sounding as old as I am  :cup:  Formula 5000, Ooooh.  How did they keep them on the road.

Pete in his Mustang against some Yank Canadian in another Mustang. Leo in his open wheelers, Max Stuart etc. in their open wheelers.

Loved the Oran Park meets at night, brakes glowing red going into the last turn up the straight.
Young bloke going by the name of Brock in this piece of rubbish (Austin?) that went like a rocket. He had to be a good driver to hold it together   :D

Too commercial these days.

Ed: just remembered Mr M was a Canadian.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:06:27 PM by Estelle »
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 10:15:37 PM »
Too commercial these days.

Agree completely,  the ability of regular motor racing fans to enjoy a weekends racing has been diluted by big $ as there isnt enough to go around now. Sponsors want to be part of a widely viewed spectacle, even if its their car flipped on its lid!!

If youre not a promoter thats part of  a big family, like V8 supercars or F!, you cant compete.

The days of smaller circuits like Oran Park is sadly missed.  In its day it must have provided a fantastic spectacle, especially the nite racing.  Used to watch the events there on TV, the view of the tin tops cresting the top of the hill looked absulutely scary!!

Back 2 the wheelchair now!   ;D ;D

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 10:16:42 PM »
Hi Swaggers
Now I know that I was born in the bush, and have always lived in the bush.  I confess that I have never been a television fan, too much rubbish, but I have no damned idea what is being discussed here.  There is an f1 key on the keyboard, but that is about all I can find, I even went to google and pressed the f1 key, got nothing.  No I am not kidding.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »
Hi Swaggers
Now I know that I was born in the bush, and have always lived in the bush.  I confess that I have never been a television fan, too much rubbish, but I have no damned idea what is being discussed here.  There is an f1 key on the keyboard, but that is about all I can find, I even went to google and pressed the f1 key, got nothing.  No I am not kidding.
Regards
Tjupurula

Finally someone sensible here!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:24:05 PM by Mace »

Offline cruisindub

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 11:21:58 PM »
Hi Swaggers
Regards
Tjupurula

Still stuck trying to find the 'any' key just to continue??

Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:31 PM »
Fair enough Cruisindub you think that I am not serious, I do not blame you....but I have yet to locate the f1 racing vehicles being discussed.  I have googled ford, holden, toyota and quite some other vehicle names, but not yet found the f1.
Tjupurula
Sorry correct that, I just googled f1 racing and found them, and if they are cars I would never drive one of them on the road.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:34:55 PM by Tjupurula »

Offline cruisindub

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 03:01:28 AM »
Fair enough Cruisindub you think that I am not serious, I do not blame you....but I have yet to locate the f1 racing vehicles being discussed.  I have googled ford, holden, toyota and quite some other vehicle names, but not yet found the f1.
Tjupurula
Sorry correct that, I just googled f1 racing and found them, and if they are cars I would never drive one of them on the road.
Dont sweat, its all a rather boring 'sport' to watch. Only way to watch it is on TV. In the comfort of a chair, with a beer in hand. Being at the track, you dont see alot.  Its the 'atmosphere' you enjoy. And the awesome parties.
Have been to a number of F1 races, working most of them. The noise is relentless and your glad when its all over. Moving about to do your job is just a hassle.
The best was when Sir Richard Branson gave me a VIP pass to Monaco GP., oh, whilst joining him on board yacht. I wasnt working that time !

Tjupurula, Your reply was quite humerous. Thats what we need. Fun, laughter and pure innocence.

Offline cruisindub

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 03:14:42 AM »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:20:20 AM by cruisindub »

Offline corynmelnkids

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 05:34:40 AM »
I thought yesterdays race was the best one i have seen in a long time getting rid of the blown diffuser has really evened out the teams and has brought red bull back to the rest of the pack it was great to see the new drivers up the pointy end of the field. I was really hopping the Williams would of got past the Ferrari but he put it in the wall on the last lap trying. As far as the other comments on that the V8 are far better to watch i would rather go and get my teeth pulled then sit down and watch them.
2003 Toyota Prado Turbo dsl
Cub Supamatic Escape Offroad
Stacer 349 Cartopper with a Suzuki 5hp 4 stroke
All set now for a big trip just need the money
and time off work.

Offline boobook

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 06:46:54 AM »
Wasn't to sorry to see the F1's go to the Vic's quite a while ago,
we basically replaced it with the Clipsal 500, best move we ever made..........
(and the crowd numbers confirm it)

Errrrr. Right. So that makes the F1 better.

Clipsal 500 2012
"Today’s (Sunday March 4) attendance was 82,100"

Melbourne Grand Prix 2012
"An estimated crowd of 114,900 filed through the gates yesterday"

Of course you could argue that it's the 4 day figures that count. But you wouldn't want to do that either. About 100,000 more at the F1.

>:D

The following users thanked this post: GDAIY

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »
Errrrr. Right. So that makes the F1 better.

Clipsal 500 2012
"Today’s (Sunday March 4) attendance was 82,100"

Melbourne Grand Prix 2012
"An estimated crowd of 114,900 filed through the gates yesterday"

Of course you could argue that it's the 4 day figures that count. But you wouldn't want to do that either. About 100,000 more at the F1.

>:D

A lot of that 114,000 would have been V8 fans too, also a lot go just for the spectical of the event, so not a true comparison really.

I don't like it either, I'm more interested in the tech side of them, I prefer looking at the lead up and all the tech side of it.

I follow the MotoGP and Superbikes, MX and SuperX, I went out to the Formula Xtreme at Eastern Creek on Saturday, much more interesting, caught up with old friends from my racing days, had fun, give me bikes any day.

Baz.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:23:01 AM by Redback »
2011 Discovery 4 2.7L TDV6
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2-A 750 
2006 BMW R1200GS

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.