Author Topic: A Question For The Mowing Experts Here  (Read 3860 times)

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
Re: A Question For The Mowing Experts Here
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 10:49:52 AM »
This happened to the unfortunate guy doing some stump grinding at my place recently..

Was a lot worse than the pics look actually...   His 800kg $40K machine grabbed an acre of rusty old chainwire fencing that was lurking in the undergrowth - and bingo!

Machine rooted - had to come back the next day with tin snips; bolt cutters; 18vt grinder - and break it all out,  about 20cm at a time...  omg!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 11:22:56 AM »
Dogs are bloody devious, we've had the daughters dog for a week so I'm going to mow the lawn this morning, check the yard for any surprise packages, quick pick up and out with the mower.
Two thirds of the way thru, heading south I turn around and there she is squatting and doing her business with as Shit eating grin on her face saying f...k you, have a bit of that.
Couldn't do it where I'd already mowed.
Devious, could been nasty if I didn't catch her!  ;D
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 07:00:07 PM »
 :cheers:
was building a house on acerage many years ago out back of Greenbank and was watching a guy on the block next door do laps on his slasher.....next minute he finds a decent sized hidden tree stump in the long grass, was like seeing a cowboy at a rodeo with the way his tractor bucked...lol...hate to see what damage it sustained.
I was on a job at the airport watching a 5t excavator with a flail mower attachment chewing up mangrove trees at an impressive rate. Shit escalated pretty quickly when old mate picked up a strand of fencing wire. Nobody was repairing that mess for a while.

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2018, 07:44:14 PM »
That's the great thing about power tools, you can mess things up much quicker than doing it by hand. The more power you have available can really lead to a spectacular mess :-[
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 06:50:24 AM »
l attended a fire call out last season Grass , off & running hard .  After we had 3 trucks on the job we rounded it up at about 10 acres . Old Mate had taken delivery of a New 120HP Massy with a flail mower . Then after a few mins found 50m of ring lock fencing  wire . His next job was to unwind it from the mower that seemed to have jammed just after the sparks stopped
We waved GoodBye as we rolled out to go home . Somebody would be working late that day
                                         :'(                               :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2018, 02:56:03 PM »
I scored a wasp under my shirt collar today.

Little prick stung me twice before I was able to remove him too.

He seemed very sorry too, after I squashed the little fukker and turned him into brown bread.

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2018, 03:59:24 PM »
12 years of living here and I've always been careful around these pool pipes which for some stupid reason are about 50mm under the ground. That was until last week on a Friday arvo, mowed straight over the top and cut off a corner of one of the pipes. Grrrrrr

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 07:11:55 AM »
Decided to give the yard a quick trim one day.  Didn't really need it but did it while I had the time.  I had the catcher off for the footpath as it was pretty sparse.  Also had the chute tied up so what was there didn't come out in clumps and look untidy.  So here I was, just cruising along and ran over a rock that had been disturbed by Ergon when they had been mucking around with the base of a pole on our footpath. Saw it at the last second but  it was too late.  Got me in the side of my calf.  Didn't think anything of it until after I finished mowing.  Broke the skin.  Bit of blood.  Within a day I had a bruise the size of my fist and black as.  Hard as a rock as well.
So 4 weeks go by and this bruise isn't getting any smaller and there seems to be some discoloration further up my leg.  Off to the doctor. He suspects blood clots and sends me off for an ultrasound and such.  Sure enough, blood clots.  Daily self injections for a week(blood thinners) and blood thinning tablets for the next 6 months.  Never, ever again will I mow without the catcher.
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 07:21:38 AM »
There is reason the call it a  " Catcher "   you now know . Were you padding about in thongs when you mower the gravel patch    ???                              :cheers:

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 07:44:55 AM »
There is reason the call it a  " Catcher "   you now know . Were you padding about in thongs when you mower the gravel patch    ???                              :cheers:
One rock. One lonely solitary rock. But I was still in my work gear. Steel cap boots, long pants, hi-vis, safety glasses and even had my ear plugs in. And like a true male, it only took me 4 weeks to go and see the doc.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2018, 12:10:06 PM »
A mower man around our way, (a cop moonlighting to run his kids through private school etc) - works with a set of cricket pads strapped to his shins  ...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 02:22:19 PM »
Hocky shin pads are the go ,         :cup: :cheers:

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 02:34:50 PM »
I use motocross shin pads. They were too short to protect my knees as designed, but work well on the shins.

* Not my legs either
https://www.ridestore.com/fox-titan-sport-knaskydd-black-2

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 08:01:15 PM »
Nice face   ,, Shame about the legs     . lv seen better legs on an upright piano    :laugh: :cup:

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 08:30:23 PM »
I use motocross shin pads. They were too short to protect my knees as designed, but work well on the shins.

* Not my legs either
Be better off with those new style keepers pads they wear under their trousers nowadays in the 20/20 Cricket.
At least they cover from boot to knee.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 09:29:15 PM »

* Not my legs either

Or just go to the chainsaw safety chaps

https://www.husqvarna.com/au/parts-accessories/protective-clothing/technical-extreme-trousers/578166546/
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2018, 05:28:13 AM »
Some of my better work.... The fact I own it gets better results too.  8)
The "Cackleberry Hilton" is just to the right of the first pic, hence the crop circle pattern.

https://i2.au.reastatic.net/1383x697-resize,extend,r=33,g=40,b=46/5decd6783b2b849c2bfefc8219253a99b9f305a6c52463edd9c7d4dd6cb1e3e2/image12.jpg

The very small dam at the front..... useless except to look at and mow around the bloody thing.

https://i2.au.reastatic.net/1383x697-resize,extend,r=33,g=40,b=46/13627f1fc6cb2c8c30269bd337950762bb81b672592a211c357f0b2443835d7e/image10.jpg
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:43:00 AM by Jeepers Creepers »

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2018, 08:36:52 AM »
Many years ago I was doing the whipper snipping and it picked up some broken wire with the other end still nailed into a rotten fence. It pulled the rusty nail out of the fence and catapulted it three quarters the way through my hand.

Pulled it out no problems but went to the Dr as a precaution but the tetanus shot hurt so more than the original injury.

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 09:42:40 AM »
Have been getting my own back on the cane toads of late. They have been lurking in the long grass and the ride-on eats them for breaky.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
My ex said I only have 2 faults: I don't listen, and something else

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 07:52:46 PM »
Have been getting my own back on the cane toads of late. They have been lurking in the long grass and the ride-on eats them for breaky.

;D ;D ;D                 >:D                      :cheers:

Online Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2018, 01:27:22 PM »
Must admit to having kept a pretty impressive mulching toad telly over the years, but I watch a bit more carefully these days.
Earlier this year I saw something out the corner of my eye that I thought was a toad getting away. I reversed back to see if I could add to my telly, luckily I saw what looked like a tail and slowed down before I chomped it.
Would have hated to see that little baby bearded dragon go under the mower blades....