Author Topic: Landcruiser Dual Cab Coming Soon  (Read 64928 times)

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Landcruiser Dual Cab Coming Soon
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »
Wow. It sure is ugly. After however many years, that's the best they can come up with? Creative Conversions / RWV Conversions do a more factory-looking job!

http://www.rwvconversions.com/70series.htm

I tend to agree that it's a case of "too little, too late", but I still envisage they'll sell a heap of them.

+1 to Swogjb too - I do like a cut-down 200. There's a few of them getting around Cairns. http://www.rwvconversions.com/200series.htm

Cheers!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »
I have often thought the conversions didn't look quite right unless the wheel base was increased, and to some extent the 79 looks like it has a little too much overhang, but I reckon it will come up looking good with larger wheels and tyres and some bar work. Most stock 7Xs look a bit average.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2012, 11:24:20 AM »
Quote from: BigJules
I have often thought the conversions didn't look quite right unless the wheel base was increased,
I agree, they for some reason either look too stubby, but then extended chassis they look stupidly long and would never make it round the high country with some of the hairpins!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Matto

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2012, 11:34:05 AM »
...but then extended chassis they look stupidly long and would never make it round the high country with some of the hairpins!
That's my take. I can't stand extended wheelbase conversions - they just look soooooooo long. Think Stretch-hummer long. That's what I see when I see the factory DC pics - it looks like it's so long.

I'm down with stumpy. Sure, you lose capacity and load carrying ability, but I'd be willing to make that sacrafice

The one exception to this is the blue BA XR8 ute that lives near us, with the 6-wheel conversion, shaker hood, big colour-coded alloy box on the back, and "2 Tonner" badges on it. That thing is cool.

Thanks!
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2012, 12:46:20 PM »
When we test drove the new D.Max, had it for an hour, doing 100 Ks the computer was showing 7.1L/100. They advertise 7L/100 extra urban, not bad for a new vehicle with only 200 Ks on the clock.

go 2 sizes up in the tyres, add in all the barwork and then check out your "new economy" in the dmax (or any other dual cab) especially the smaller capacity VW

Bretts figures compair to my experiences with 33" tyres on cruisers in the past.

My figures on the triton dual cab auto 3.2 did with 32" mud tyres and bar work is more like 12l/100 or 4l/100 worse than the official listing.
Getting worse- up to 17l/100 when towing a offroad van.

fuel- you put it in- who cares, as long as what you drive is what you want- factory specs mean nothing
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2012, 08:51:38 PM »
http://www.mr4x4.com.au/index.php/latest-news/152-worth-waiting-for

This is great news if you love the 1980's!

Personally cars have improved over the last three decades.

Chris F

« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2012, 10:13:05 PM »

In many ways they have, but unfortunately this will be the ultimate dual cab work horse available for those of us who need power and durability.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »
http://www.mr4x4.com.au/index.php/latest-news/152-worth-waiting-for

This is great news if you love the 1980's!

Yep cars have improved  over the last three decades but you can't take a 4wd and make it car. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2012, 10:37:59 AM »
Try more like 16.5L/100 for the Cruiser as that is what my average was over 80000kms in my ute.

But the 200 series is not that much better with 14.5L/100 over the last 30000kms.

I am probably sitting at around the 14L/100ks mark at the moment. Still got the bigger tyres to go. When I first got it before anything was done, the trip back up from the gold coast I got probably mid 11's.

It is drinking a little bit more than I was expecting, but in the big scheme of things the extra costs are bugger all. Tell you what though, these things can drink with a day of low range under their belts.........  ;D
Cheers, Craig

Offline JU5T1N

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2012, 09:06:51 PM »
Small | Large

Nissan whore:
Nissan Patrol GUramax (Stripped by ADC)
Nissan Skyline R33 GTR V-spec 480awkw
Nissan Skyline R34 GTR M-spec 830awkw (NOW SOLD)

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2012, 07:43:29 AM »
I was talking to my brother in law yesterday and he was thinking of buying one of the new dual cabs and started to negotiate a price with a local dealer.  He offered a clean swap of his immaculate 2009 Prado (55,000 on the clock) and his 2005 turbo Landcruiser ute. The dealer said yes, but he still wanted some cash, another $1,900.  My bother in law told the dealer where to put his offer.  $1,900 does not sound like much, but you would think an immaculate Prado and a 2005 ute would be a more then fair swap for the dual cab.  ??? 
Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Chris F

« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »
I went into our Toyota dealer this morning to drop off a Hilux for servicing. The dual cab 70 series I ordered had been delivered last night so I had a look at it. Outside it looked impressive but it is the first time I have been inside one of the V8 models. I have to say I was underwhelmed! It really did look like I had time travelled back to the 80's. One measly cup holder, compartments that look like they wouldn't even hold a street directoryand dinky little centre console and door arm rests. My business partner was shocked at what you appear to get for the money. One of the main reasons I want this vehicle is to drag our camper around the country on rough roads without a struggle and without reliability dramas, and to pull our seeder and harvesters at work. I still think this is the best dual cab for the job but Toyota must be making a killing selling these things. With an aluminium tray, AC and a tow bar it will be about $70,000. A bull bar and aluminium canopy is going to make this thing really expensive so I've got some thinking to do over the next few days.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2012, 06:40:14 PM »
I saw one on the road this morning, had to look twice as I thought it was a custom job. It was a GXL in the graphite colour and looked nice but yeah the interior is from the 1970s. I think my mum's XY falcon had the same arm rests :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Chris F

« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »
Here it is. I'm still thinking about if I want it or not. The price on-road is $75,700 with AC, tow bar and tray  :o

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:10:56 PM by Chris F »

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
One of the main reasons I want this vehicle is to drag our camper around the country on rough roads without a struggle and without reliability dramas, and to pull our seeder and harvesters at work.

IMO if thats what your main criteria are, then it fits the bill. Powerful & tough enough to pull the black stump out!

I still dont like those snorkels tho  8)
 :cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Chris F

« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »
IMO if thats what your main criteria are, then it fits the bill. Powerful & tough enough to pull the black stump out!

I still dont like those snorkels tho  8)
 :cheers:
True, it's mainly the price I'm having trouble with :-\

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »
You have to remember the best feature of the 70 Series  is that it is a plain wrapper.  No other crap that you don't need and plenty of room to put in all the good stuff you do want.  The best blank canvas you can get really.  But in saying that the price tag is a bit over the top.  The 70s can be tricked up to be some of the best custom vehicles around.  If you biggest complaint is one cup holder, then really what are you complaining about.   I would have one today if it wasn't for the bank saying all I could afford was a second hand 80 series.  Once the mods start you will enjoy it. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Chris F

« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2012, 03:37:24 PM »
Once the mods start you will enjoy it.
That's one of my problems, there won't be any money left for mods  :'( The other problem is convincing my business partner who just got a D-Max that cost $51,000. That's $24,000 less than the 70 series, or in other terms $24,000 worth of my guilt. The next few days will be interesting to say the least.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2012, 03:55:12 PM »
Quote from: D4D
I saw one on the road this morning, had to look twice as I thought it was a custom job. It was a GXL in the graphite colour and looked nice but yeah the interior is from the 1970s. I think my mum's XY falcon had the same arm rests :)
gee, what do you want for $80g's... :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Matto

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2012, 04:29:59 PM »
gee, what do you want for $80g's... :(
Next thing, he'll be expecting AC and a CD player...

Cheers,

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »
Remember what you're getting for ur money...the name....TOYOTA....!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Chris F

« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:56:25 PM by Chris F »

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »
I have nothing against Toyota. Really I don't  >:D but geez 75.5 for that .
I would take your partners dmax with 25k of extras on it over the cruiser any day of the week.
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2012, 05:44:40 PM »
I have nothing against Toyota. Really I don't  >:D but geez 75.5 for that .
I would take your partners dmax with 25k of extras on it over the cruiser any day of the week.

yeah but some people need - or want - the truck-tech chassis, spliminy-teen gigajules of torque and the fuss-free load carrying and towing ability

For $50K I can buy a Great Wall AND a second-hand Boxster

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2012, 08:02:05 PM »
That's one of my problems, there won't be any money left for mods  :'( The other problem is convincing my business partner who just got a D-Max that cost $51,000. That's $24,000 less than the 70 series, or in other terms $24,000 worth of my guilt. The next few days will be interesting to say the least.

Jump in a D-Max and then enjoy the extra room in the 70
Cheers

Al and/or Jan