Author Topic: plastic water tank taste  (Read 3044 times)

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
plastic water tank taste
« on: October 05, 2011, 03:46:20 PM »
HI! :D
Just wondering how to get rid of the platic tastw when u drink from the water tank....
It was filld up at home which is usually fine to drink and have used the water  in the tank to wash up but the taste when i had a drink..ewww.
I think i read somewhere that white vinagar in the tank then flushed.,..
Any other ideas ;D

homerj

Re: plastic water tank taste
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »
You can buy stuff from caravan places to add to tank to stop taste , and some one suggested using lemon essence in the tank as well.
Or type in  search [ top right ] plastic taste in water tank and see some more results.

Cheers

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:15:49 PM »

You add Bi-Carb to the tank, leave overnight and rinse thoroughly the next day (I'd even disolve the BC before adding it). 

Do NOT fill your tank with a regular garden hose or you will get a plastic taste through the tank, use only Food Grade hose.

Install a stanless steel or food grade tank.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »
Thanks...i believe the tank is food grade so i will get a food grade hose and treat the tank with some "stuff"
cheers

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:04:44 PM »
Fill it with Beer, by the time you get to the bottom of the tank you wont know ****......so it wont matter.  :cheers:  ;D

Poverty Pack.!

homerj

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:34:31 PM »
Fill it with Beer, by the time you get to the bottom of the tank you wont know ****......so it wont matter.  :cheers:  ;D

Like the way you think. :cheers:

Offline MDS69

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:13:59 PM »

You add Bi-Carb to the tank, leave overnight and rinse thoroughly the next day (I'd even disolve the BC before adding it). 

Do NOT fill your tank with a regular garden hose or you will get a plastic taste through the tank, use only Food Grade hose.

Kit_e

Further to what Kit_e has advised check to see if the hose to your taps from the water tank are food grade. This may contribute to the funny taste as well.

Offline DaveO

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 07:39:57 PM »
I too had a plastic type taste from my camper water tank. I tried bi-carb as well as Tank Kleen? from a caravan place at $15 odd a tub. Even after copious treatments and flushes etc, the taste was still there. Further investigation revealed it was the hoses from the tank to the tap. Turned out it was a bad batch of hose. It was replaced by the camper manufacturer and voila, no more bad taste.

Dave
Dave

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »
x2 for the Bi Carb, I put it in the tank went for a drive came home drained it out. I then repeated it a few times and then it was fine. Bore water will soon get rid of the plastic taste too  ;D. We have had it in there too!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:17:27 PM by GU Rich »
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

OFF ROAD, MOUNTAIN TRAIL CAMPER
GU IV PATROL
LOOK FOR THE \"MY SWAG\" STICKER ON MY CAMPER AND PATROL

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 07:49:52 PM »
I get the plastic taste from our food grade hose when we camp at van parks. Need to let it run for a bit before I have a drink. I thought that food grade hoses should not have an aftertaste.

http://smithyadventures.blogspot.com/

Offline CRW

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Driving the Dreamliner
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 08:09:48 PM »
Hi, fixed the plastic taste in our tank by using two bottles of lemon essence, fill the tank, take it for a run or let sit for two days, flush and refill.  Had to do this twice after trying vinegar, Milton etc.  Water tastes normal now.  As everyone suggests us a food grade hose.

All good now.  Good luck
Cheers
Carl

200 Series Land Cruiser TTD V8,  Complete Campsite Hard Floor Fraser

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »

Kit_e

I have a stainless tank..., but have been filling it for yrs with a garden hose and no nasty taste ( the missus can pick suss water a mile away )..
Strange how some get it and not others ??
2010 Mitsu Challenger
2012 Lifestyle AT10

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 09:05:16 PM »
Funny you say that Gronk. I too fill with an ordinary garden hose & have never had a problem with bad water taste. I also have a roll of "food" grade hose, the water from it is undrinkable. I think the trick with using a garden hose is use an old one. Mine would be 10+yrs, no plastic taste in it, but I always taste 1st before filling the tank. :cheers:
GQ 4.2d;usual off road goodies;h/made fridge slide /roller draw system;cago barriersetc. Tows a '06 trackabout deluxe tourer with some safari options.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 04:26:26 PM »

Lucky you guys.  I just KNOW whether water has come from a garden hose or not.  It's a gift  ;D  Prefer to drink from tall clear glass bottle or red can personally.  Never was into this water stuff myself, but I will drink it if there is simply nothing else.

Our CT has a food grade tank, food grade hose all round, filled with food grade hose as recommended ... never had a problem with funny tasting coffee to date.  Besides most of the water is for washing up or showering ... yes?

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Robbo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Happy Campers
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »
For the ultimate tasting water just add a carbon filter in-line after the pump. This will remove all chemicals bad tastes and odours regardless of the filling hose you use or what has been in your tank. Not as good as a cold beer but it ain't bad.  :cheers:

Offline cdustbehindme

• Tent User
  • Nothing like an Odysee
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 08:35:03 PM »
ultimate tasting water is rainwater, grew up on it and live off it now!!   one trick is to put some really strong cordial in there for a while, worked on our new plastic water bottles anyway........  juby juice we called it, those of you who know, know what im talking about ha!  ;D
The perfect campsite IS out there.........

Offline MDS69

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 12:20:23 PM »

Kit_e

Kit_e how much bi-card are we talking for a 60-70L tank. Looking forward to your responce.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Quad Pilot in Training ... Solar stuff too !!!
    • Mandrake's Solar Power
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 01:06:42 PM »
Fit one of these just before the tap ... Will remove all bad tastes ...
http://www.clarencewaterfilters.com.au/products/Portable-In-line-filter-with-brass-click%252don-hose-fittings-10POH5M-%7B47%7D10-POH-5M.html
Best thing I ever did to our bad water taste ..
Cheers
Steve
"If its heavier than air - it will never get off the ground" ... Anonymous - Wrong very very wrong !!

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »
Can someone please translate all this foreign gibberish into South Australian  ???
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Quad Pilot in Training ... Solar stuff too !!!
    • Mandrake's Solar Power
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 11:07:45 AM »
Some plastic tanks give off a foul plastic taste to the water as do some hoses and fittings if they are not food quality .. I had to remove all my hoses and replace with food quality and then added the charcoal filter to make sure the water had no taste other than water ..
Cheers Steve
Does that translate better ?
"If its heavier than air - it will never get off the ground" ... Anonymous - Wrong very very wrong !!

Online Woodsie

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Off the beaten track in this Great Country of Ours
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 09:31:57 PM »
The water is that bad in South Australia, no wonder you dont know what all the fuss is about, it is probably normal to you guys.
(well thats what ive heard.......honest.. :-*)
Tony Woods 06 HZJ105 Turbo/IC
2012 Eureka Hard Floor Camper

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 01:25:15 PM »
The water is that bad in South Australia, no wonder you dont know what all the fuss is about, it is probably normal to you guys.
(well thats what ive heard.......honest.. :-*)

Brought back memories of a round Oz trip when the kids were tackers and we'd come across Melbourne/Sydney/Canberra folks bemoaning how their kids were regularly emptying out both ends due to variable water conditions on the road.

Then the inevitable- What about your two? Nope- kids are fine- no worries, to their look of utter bewilderment and then curiousity checking out our two to see what they were doing wrong.  Then I'd drop in with a wry smile- We're from Adelaide.  Ahhhh.... and you could see the penny drop and the relief they weren't terrible parents after all.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.