Author Topic: Disappointing magazine  (Read 20999 times)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Disappointing magazine
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »
D4D I'll sign one for you for a slab of JD  8)

Small cans or big cans :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »
i get both 4WD Action & CCT..........i used to get a few others from their stable but gave up due to the crossover of stories.

Things I like about them:

Backyard/weekend mod's section
Comparisons.....(yes i know they are rigged by who advertises the most)
DVD's - when its Graham
stories about destinations
the rare story about something other than Landcruisers, Patrols & HiLux's
Camper trailer reviews (other than the GIC ones)

Things I don't like:
Roothy harping on about his "handbrake" - (what a wonderful way of turning women off 4wding)
the over-hype they have started on about the Government having it in for 4wding
the constant phone calls from the marketing team
assuming everyone has a fully kitted out workshop in their backyard.
expecting us all to be into Extreme 4wding ( they have a mag if thats your thing)

I probably re-subscribe, but maybe i'll cross over to the competition

2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 09:08:18 PM »

I probably re-subscribe, but maybe i'll cross over to the competition

What competition?
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 09:20:05 PM »
4x4 Australia & CTA

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 09:31:17 PM »
Quote from: DeLuxHiLux
Personally, I found 4wd Action to be more about big lifts, big tyres, big mod and deep mud pits with a few handy hours of winching. this was apparently labeled as "4wding"
What do you consider 4wding?

To many thousands of people, that is 4wding. Towing a camper in a bog stock car through the Flinders or driving along a fire trail in low range to them is laughable and not 4wding...

Magazines will never please everybody...

In my worthless opinion magazines have run their course - times up...  Theres so much unbiased real world info on the interwebs, that magazines are no longer really needed.
For example, when something is Shitful - I mean real bad, you will never ever find a magazine ever telling you that in a test. Everything is perfect everytime... Nothing is even 'average'..

YMMV
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 09:41:09 PM »
4x4 Australia & CTA

Can you still get 4x4 Australia?  I have not seen it on a shelf fo a fair while, I know Overlander ceased and has been bought by 4WDAction, pity as it was half decent.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »
Quote from: Burnsy
Can you still get 4x4 Australia?  I have not seen it on a shelf fo a fair while, I know Overlander ceased and has been bought by 4WDAction, pity as it was half decent.
I havent seen it either.

Bushdriver was the only decent 4wd magazine for decades!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 10:07:12 PM »
For gods sake, grow up....The mags eventually have to re-hash articles as there are more fish in that ocean than us. I to have been a 4WD action reader since it started and I still get them now and again but won;t bother reading the latest Spring *Comparro*. What do you expect them to do. they are a business and cater to what most new readers want. We are old hacks and no longer require any advice as we are all perfect and know every thing - don't we

There are only so many ways you can do an article on the Simpson, Kimberly etc. They are looking at the new comers and hoping to help them get out and about. Yep gives me the sh1ts as well but it's the way it is..

For 10 bucks I still enjoy the DVD's and a bit of a read on the loo. I still think they are good value.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 10:15:54 PM »

haven't looked in a news agents for a while, i just assumed it was still around

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2011, 07:22:45 AM »
Can you still get 4x4 Australia?

Yes you can still buy it.  

Offline Janbo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Jayco Eagle - Jeep Cherokee KK
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2011, 08:12:43 AM »
For all the guys that just get the mags for their DVDs, much of the content and many more informative CT and 4WD clips can be hadon Youtube for free, if you create a free account you can add them to your favourites and watch them anytime.
We are all in the gutter....... But some of us are looking at the stars!!

Offline hookedon4wding

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • My Videos
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 09:20:02 AM »
I reckon they should come up with a DVD only subscription. They'd get me back on board. It's the only reason I ever buy one.

Having said that, the latest DVD is a bit of a joke. The 'lets drive flat out at everything and damage the vehicles and tracks' approach is pathetic. It might look good to the amateur 4wder but for anyone with any idea, it's just plain stupidity. What ever happened to picking a good line, taking it easy the first time and slowly adding momentum if required.

They bang on about the government closing tracks and then go out and cut up the tracks or take shortcuts where there is no track (another recent DVD). It's laughable.

For me, Overlander and Camper Trailer Australia are the only mags I enjoy, particularly the latter. Time will tell whether the 4wd Action team screw up Overlander as well. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Offline Carlisle Rogers

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • www.4wdtouring.com.au
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2011, 09:45:17 AM »
Hey - just to get one more kick in, the first issue of my Kimberley trip is on sale this Thursday (Camper Trailer Australia, issue 45). It isn't the definitive issue, just one bloke's dream trip over a month. I test out four camper trailers, catch a 90cm barra in the Pentecost and hit most of the bucket-list spots.
We also filmed a killer DVD, which will be on the second Kimberley issue (out end of October), and I think it's our finest work yet.
Carlisle

This is not the Kimberley that I imagine the majority of visitors want to see.
Won't be buying any more.
Cheers, Tony
Living the Dream

Offline hookedon4wding

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • My Videos
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2011, 10:03:22 AM »
Hey - just to get one more kick in, the first issue of my Kimberley trip is on sale this Thursday (Camper Trailer Australia, issue 45). It isn't the definitive issue, just one bloke's dream trip over a month. I test out four camper trailers, catch a 90cm barra in the Pentecost and hit most of the bucket-list spots.
We also filmed a killer DVD, which will be on the second Kimberley issue (out end of October), and I think it's our finest work yet.
Carlisle

Good timing Carlisle, I'm heading OS on Sunday and it'll be great plane reading. Hopefully subscribers receive it before or at the same time it hits the shelves unlike last month. I'd be disappointed if I didn't receive it before my trip  :cheers:

Cheers, Sam.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2011, 04:30:38 PM »
Good timing Carlisle, I'm heading OS on Sunday and it'll be great plane reading. Hopefully subscribers receive it before or at the same time it hits the shelves unlike last month. I'd be disappointed if I didn't receive it before my trip  :cheers:

Cheers, Sam.

For CTA ... I've been told it's a 5 - 7 day turn around AFTER it's been printed by Mag Shop (or whatever it's called), but it only takes 2 days to hit the stands.  Not sure how factual this is ... I've only ever received 1 mag via post ... and it was 10 days "late" (that's 10 days after it hit the shops).  ???

CTT I usually get quite a bit prior to it hitting the shops.   ;D

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline hookedon4wding

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • My Videos
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »
Looks like I'll have to buy a copy from the news agent and my father in law will score my subs copy when it arrives.

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2011, 05:16:59 PM »
I have been getting 4WD Action for ages, and last year CTT. Agree that articles are repetitive, but also agree there is only so many ways to write about any destination. I like a lot of the articles about gear but get frustrated that 4WD Action seems aimed at the 30 and under set that seem to like BIG (wheels, tyres, lifts, motors, etc).

I just resubscribed to both for $3.65 a copy which I think is chicken feed. So now I just read the articles that take my fancy, ignore most of Roothy on the DVDs, and still figure I get value for money.  ;D

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2011, 05:20:24 PM »
Quote from: Traveller
Agree that articles are repetitive, but also agree there is only so many ways to write about any destination

... but surely there are more than the regular 8-12 destinations they go to every month in this large land... aren't there? maybe Im mistaken.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »
I just resubscribed to both for $3.65 a copy which I think is chicken feed.

Where can I find that offer?

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2011, 06:06:15 PM »
No Lost, there are more destinations, and I love reading about them when they occur, but I presume as the magazine seems to survive on contributors stories that they are just not getting enough. I think several of the regular contributors do a great job of getting a bit of variety in the destinations (Hennessys, Paveys, Jones', Athertons, etc). Unfortunately, in the past, when CTT sent their own crews out they tended to do things that were so hard that I was not prepared to, as I can't afford the chance of smashing things.  Maybe the new editor will change things.

EMG were advertising 20 issues for around $73 about 6 weeks ago, so I took the offer.

Offline CTnewbie

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2011, 08:22:33 PM »
Things I don't like:
Roothy harping on about his "handbrake" - (what a wonderful way of turning women off 4wding)

As a female who is getting into camping more, this really annoys me as there are some women who like it too. And as I am the one who does all the trip planning, I love reading the mags for trip ideas.

I have subscribed to CTA because they appear to be more family friendly and I like the fact that there are female contributors.

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2011, 08:29:38 PM »

Has anyone actually seen the 'handbrake'?

Could be a work of fiction...
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

crackacoldie

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2011, 11:43:23 PM »

Have met the very lovely Mrs Rooth and the three tin lids.  All the handbrake stuff is for the camera, he is a very doting hubby and dad when out with the family.

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2011, 11:51:20 PM »

Yep, I saw her when he drove at tuff truck a couple of years ago. He drove down with his wife and kids.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2011, 11:52:30 PM »
Carlisle

We'll see....
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/