Author Topic: Carnarvon Gorge QLD  (Read 1910 times)

Offline wartim

• Soft Floor Camper User
Carnarvon Gorge QLD
« on: September 23, 2011, 10:10:22 PM »
Have a mate and his family heading out to Carnarvon Gorge (QLD) next week on recognisance trip, would appreciate any tips or advice from people who have been there, have heard the local caravan park is expensive and there is a much cheaper one not too far away.

Any aboriginal paintings in the area?

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Wartim

Offline lov2getaway

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Windjana Gorge 2010
Re: Carnarvon Gorge QLD
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 07:18:42 AM »
We just got back. We stayed at the NP campground which was great but is only open during Easter and September school holidays and we booked back in May. Yes there is aboriginal art at the art gallery (quite a walk) and also at Baloon cave. There is a resort 4km's away called Takarakka that has camping, not sure of the cost but has website www.takaru.com.au/takaru/index.cfm?parkID=5&pageID=8&
2011 Camprite, 2011 Prado.

Offline gregd

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 10:34:18 AM »
Heading that way myself and wife next Friday fro a week. If I can ever work out how to post photo's etc ( computor challenged) I would put some pic's up. I will put something on when we get back, report or some thing. We are staying at Takaraka.

Offline loshde

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:44:03 AM »
Hi there
We have spent a fair bit of time at the Gorge over the past 25yrs or so (lived fairly locally).  Originally the NP used to be open all of the time but now is only open at Easter and September and you have to get booked in vert early.  Don't know whether they still do it but they used to run info sessions each night which was great for all of the family.  There is a resort just down the road (couple of km's) but is super exy and then there is Takaraka Park a couple of km's further back down the road.  My parents recently stayed there and thought it was a little expensive for a park but it is fairly remote out there and as there is no where else to stay (most of the year) with a camper, so you get what you are given.

The park itself is magnificent (one of my favourite places).  At least a couple lots of Aboriginal paintings.  An absolute must to see are "Moss Gardens, Wards Canyon and the Amputheatre". It truly is an amazing place and you will love it.  Just remember that it gets pretty hot up that way, we always avoided from about November through to Marchish and it gets very cool from about end May through winter but just beautiful.  Lots of Monitor Lizards, Kangaroos and Wallabies, Possums, etc come in to camp.  Don't forget to secure your gear so the animals don't come and help themselves.  Word of warning the Currawongs and Kookaburras are not adverse launching a full frontal campaign to help themselves to your sandwich, burger, whatever when you are just about to help yourself to it (and according to my parents the crows are now in on the act as well). 

Have fun
Losde