Author Topic: Mosquito repellants  (Read 4485 times)

Offline watto11

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Watsonfamilycamping/165262510248075
Mosquito repellants
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:41:54 AM »
Hi every one I thought I'd post and see if anyone has tried this. My parents r visiting and told me that supposedly spraying listerine and water around camp site puts up a bit of a barrier or at least helps keep mossies at bay has anyone else heard it I thought I'd try it with my young boys they r magnets for bities.

Offline SKEMPIE

• Tent User
Re: Mosquito repellants
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:50:41 AM »
I've just been searching the forum for this too.From what i've found yeah splash listerine around though expensive, Or someone said mix 50/50 with olive oil and spray on to smell 'minty fresh'.
 :cheers:

Offline watto11

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:09:43 AM »
Thanks skempie will try it out in mosquito infested area and let u know

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:25:32 AM »
Thanks skempie will try it out in mosquito infested area and let u know
Watto,

Should be easy to find one of them in G'stone! ;) lol

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline ScottnRach

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 11:05:15 AM »
We used dettol and baby oil in the territory and it worked a treat, made you smell a bit and it also wasn't good in white sheets unless you had a tub before bed.
Cheers
Scottnrach

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 06:35:06 PM »
We used dettol and baby oil in the territory and it worked a treat, made you smell a bit and it also wasn't good in white sheets unless you had a tub before bed.
Cheers
Scottnrach

x2

You smell like a toilet, but it works......

Offline Digger

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 06:42:12 PM »
Was outback of Mt magnet WA and the mozzie are insane with all the ground water around, had rid, off and bushman's on no good , then after a lot of cursing and a few reds got the Gerry can of diesel out and a little splash and peace for the rest of night .Was a cold shower the next day to get it off !!!!! But I did say after a "few Reds " :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline pauljygrant

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 07:09:30 PM »
supposedly spraying listerine and water around camp site puts up a bit of a barrier or at least helps keep mossies at bay.

Heard this a few years ago - some one recommended spraying your house fly screens with listerine to stop them coming into your house.  Never tried it, but interested to hear if it works. 
We are heading up to FNQ next month and as well as the usual DEET sprays, will for the first time try a mix of Dettol, baby oil and citronella - this mix has received plenty recommendations on the web, so happy to give it a try. 
In Scotland, the only product that stopped the midge from biting was Avon Skin So Soft - anyone tried that against the mozzies?
Paul
2011 Jayco Swan; (about to be upgraded to 2015 Jayco Basestation); 2013 Nissan Navara 2.5 ST Auto

Offline rossbarb

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 08:38:31 PM »
We have ordered some so will see how it goes. we were also told this
barb

Offline travellingduo

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »
In Scotland, the only product that stopped the midge from biting was Avon Skin So Soft - anyone tried that against the mozzies?
Paul

I use Skin So Soft Bug Guard all the time - best I have found for mozzies and sandflies and doesn't smell as bad as some of the other sprays
Lesley

Offline Slydog

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
Up here in Karratha WA we use "The Locals sandfly and mozzie stuff" and found it worked great. It's an Aussie product with natural ingredients. we use it all the time when camping and it also acts as a stop itch for when you forget to put it on and have been bitten. We have tried all the others, even bushmans but found this one was better.

Just my two cents worth  :D

:cheers: Slydog
Even a bargain costs money!!!!!

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »
I wish they made aerogaurd aftershave, it's a can of memories, anyone else get that?

Offline Carlisle Rogers

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • www.4wdtouring.com.au
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 03:06:21 PM »
Bushman 80% is the stuff that only comes in a cream, and that works for most things (percentage of DEET does not mean it works better, only longer).

I always carry tea tree oil with me for bites - it makes them disappear within a few minutes, and even helps with sandfly bites. I've heard that it is a great repellent too, though have never experimented with tea tree alone. Some people swear by the stuff, though.

We were just up Cape York and the sand flies were unbelievable. Without some tea tree for the bites, would have gone insane. My cameraman reckoned he was going a little crazy from all the bites...

Carlisle
Living the Dream

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 08:46:44 AM »
I wish they made aerogaurd aftershave, it's a can of memories, anyone else get that?

Funny thing is the blue dishwashing liquid from Aldi smells like Aeroguard (or at least I think so) and I reckon the same thing ...it brings back some great memories ....

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline watto11

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »
Thanks for advice on tea tree oil I'll get some As standard feature for camping I don't get to bothered by mossies but wife and kids especially get eaten to bits I've found aerosols hurt kids after they have been scratching which is impossible to stop them the roll on or creams is better option it seem but I'd be interested in trying some other ideas including listerine see how it goes

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »
I always carry tea tree oil with me for bites - it makes them disappear within a few minutes, and even helps with sandfly bites. I've heard that it is a great repellent too, though have never experimented with tea tree alone. Some people swear by the stuff, though.

We were just up Cape York and the sand flies were unbelievable. Without some tea tree for the bites, would have gone insane. My cameraman reckoned he was going a little crazy from all the bites...

Carlisle

Our first night in the camper was spent on a river flat down on the beach at South West Rocks. Being our first night in the CT we were pretty disorganised and forgot the repellent. We did have tea tree oil though and it is awesome for stopping bites from itching. It also keeps the biteys away but unfortunately not for very long, so you have to reapply every 20 minutes or so. It does work well in those scented burner things.

:cheers:

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 05:26:52 AM »
Anybody tried the product called"yamate"
Made from all natural stuff so it dosnt affect clothing and canvas etc like deet apparently does