Author Topic: Digital TV - what would you recommend ??  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
Digital TV - what would you recommend ??
« on: September 14, 2011, 09:21:42 AM »

Hi,
Here in the South West we have just had digital tv signal arrive, so want a new (large screen) flat screen digital TV to take advantage of the 19 TV channels and 3 music channels available now.

Was going to get a series 7 Samsung, but have now been swayed to the K?gan 46" TV
Link: http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/46-led-tv-3D-full-hd-pvr/

Question is:-> do any MySwaggers have any good or bad information on this TV (or K?gan technology)  ???

Online Jason B

• "Nissan Recovery Unit"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper LE 2005
Re: Digital TV - what would you recommend ??
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:05:55 AM »
Mate have a look at what choice magazine has to say. I saw an item on TV last week by choice and they wern't flattering about the Kogan. The picture quality was poor campared to all the others tested and they indicated that it was clearly built to a price.

Personally i would go for quality over size. I have 2 40in LCD HD 1080P tele's one is a Samsung and the other is a Sony Bravia. The Sony is about 3 years old and I have only had the Samsung for a few months. They are similar specifications but the Sony blows the Samsung away for picture quality and we much prefer it over the newer Samsung. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Sony LCD. With any of them make sure you get at least 100htz other wise you get noticable trails behind fast moving objetcs.

Regards

Jas

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:27:37 AM »
I'd agree with previous poster.. Go quality over price.

I have a Samsung 46in TV that I got for a steal, the only reason I bought it. Has been bullet proof, but in 2yrs, its only done a few hours work. I hate TV, its good for Xbox, and some movies on the home theatre PC (http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfish_info.php?products_id=34035)

Dad has a $2600 Sony, that died after 16mths. Quick google showed me the issue wasnt rare with the code it came up with. After being quoted $700ish to fix, a battle and calling Dept of Fair Trading to see what they had to say, Sony fixed it under warranty. So much for Sony being 'quality'...

I say buy what ever has longest warranty.

--
Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld

Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne.
--

Online D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »
Kogan = crap

Same business model as Sidewinder, import the cheapest stuff you can, put your brand on it, then sell it for a nice margin.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

My Prado Build
Customline Deluxe Off Road

Online Jason B

• "Nissan Recovery Unit"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper LE 2005
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 10:37:13 AM »

Dad has a $2600 Sony, that died after 16mths. Quick google showed me the issue wasnt rare with the code it came up with. After being quoted $700ish to fix, a battle and calling Dept of Fair Trading to see what they had to say, Sony fixed it under warranty. So much for Sony being 'quality'...

I say buy what ever has longest warranty.

I believe the panels for both the Sony and Samsung come out of the same factory. My comments re Sony were based on the picture quality between my 2 only, not longevity. All consumer goods these days are crap. I would also invest in the extended warranties.

It may be a setting on my Samsung that is not right as my issues with it are that the picture is very juddery rather than a smooth flow of motion. Probably operator error.

Regards

Jas

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:42:14 AM »
I believe the panels for both the Sony and Samsung come out of the same factory. My comments re Sony were based on the picture quality between my 2 only, not longevity. All consumer goods these days are crap. I would also invest in the extended warranties.

It may be a setting on my Samsung that is not right as my issues with it are that the picture is very juddery rather than a smooth flow of motion. Probably operator error.
na mate, wasnt having a go... was just sayin how it is at home...
The 2 tele's at home are few yrs apart in age, so they maybe out of different factory.. but then again not everything that comes out of same factory is same quality etc.
--

--

Offline noel_w

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I don't have a plan, that way nothing can go wrong
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 11:44:48 AM »
I would be looking at quality rather than price so the Samsung would win it for me. I have a 50" Full HD Panasonic plasma now for about 3 yrs and could not be happier with it. There is a lot of info on Whirlpool http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/?action=threads_search&f=126&q=kogan but as with any forum you need to take it with a grain of salt so to speak.
Regards
Noel
TUG=GQ ST 95 2.8TD, CT=Trackabout Safari 03
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy

Offline rescue1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • D40 Navara [HIS] T31 X-Trail [HERS]
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 12:19:14 PM »
There are only a few manufacturers of LCD panels and Kogan uses a Samsung from memory panel, unfortunately the rest of their product is not terrific but still better than Aldi......

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 12:56:27 PM »
I have just bought a full HD Toshiba 32" LED LCD TV (uses a Samsung panel) and while the picture quality is fantastic, the black levels do not compare to my Panasonic Plasma TV's (50" & 42" ones). As the LCD is only a bedroom TV, the light levels are low so not a big issue, but if using in a well lit room like a family room, then I would be going for a Plasma over an LCD TV.

Its hard to see the difference in black levels in a showroom as they all  tend to be indoors, but think about where the TV will be placed when choosing between Plasma and LCD.

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
There are only a few manufacturers of LCD panels and Kogan uses a Samsung from memory panel

That's what I thought too;D

I've bought the 46" Kogan 3D TV today.

At $1158 delivered when I look at the specs and compare with known brands I'm happy, and it's my own risk.

No one has forced me to buy this TV  :cheers:

Thanks for the valuable input

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:20:47 PM by Maîneÿ . . . »

Offline mcbadger2

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »
Stick with a brand name (Panasonic, Samsung, Sony etc) due to service. Nothing worse than these no name chinese brands on the market when it comes to servicing of their product. You may pay more upfront but generally worth it. No Name product tends to be distributed through agencies which do not have total control of all feacets of the business i.e service centres.

Mark
mcbadger

Online Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 01:25:05 PM »
Kogan = crap

Some Kogan models have samsung tuners in them.

We have a small Kogan LCD led 19" in the camper.
Works a treat ,and was cheap as chips.

Had a samsung 46" LCD that the power board kept $hitting itself in. Once under warranty and once out of warranty. Didn't bother to fix it.
Replaced it with a 46" led LG, had no problems so far. 2 years old.

Also have a cheap Celestial 40" in our bedroom. Couple of years old all good.

I paid big money for the Samsung, over rated and over priced IMO.
 :cheers:

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 01:45:07 PM »
We've got a few differant ones, my fav would be Sony then Panasonic and thee other is not worth talking about but is still a good little TV.
One thing to keep in mind is other items you may want to add to your TV, the Sony bravia link is easy to use and the remote is set up well and easy to use.
Panasonic has better HD recording ability's(more options) but i don't like the controls (lot harder to use) or the pic as much as the Sony.
As for the china special it has a good pic but very poor audio, was only bought for a CV.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:21:03 PM by dno »
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

www.campingaustralia.org
     http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 08:03:19 PM »
I have a Panasonic and my bro in law has 4 of them and has worked in the TV industry for 35 years and swears by them.

Might not have all the bells and whistles but if you are like me the novelty of the extras runs out quick and you just want to watch TV.

The LCD vs Plazma is another argument.

Will any of the new TVs last 20 years like the old Sony Trinatron CRTs? Probably not.

GS

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 08:28:17 PM »
Quote from: dno
One thing to keep in mind is other items you may want to add to your TV, the Sony bravia link is easy to use and the remote is set up well and easy to use.
or if you ever need to get it repaired. Sony only have 12mths warranty. Not worth a pinch of **** for a 2500 tele IMWO, but I said that above.
--

--

Offline OzJeeper

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 09:59:47 PM »
A larger CRT monitor/TV is not a Dodo.  Just hook up a hi-def tuner to it and you have an equivalent hi-def monitor.  Think about it.  A Plasma or LCD displays so many "dots per inch" - so does a CRT!  So the output and viewed result is very similar.  It has a limit to size and that is a given fact, but for a smaller screen size, retain your CRT and hook up the hi-def tuner and away ya go.....
It's not the arrow, it's the archer.

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 10:22:57 PM »
I've bought the 46" Kogan 3D TV today.
At $1158 delivered when I look at the specs and compare with known brands I'm happy, and it's my own risk.

Well with all the hassles I had getting the 2 x HDMI cables delivered, I quickly cancelled the Kogan TV.

Bought a Samsung series 8, 51" Plasma PS51D8000 3D TV
Link: http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/plasma-tv/PS51D8000FVXXY/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail
and a Samsung series 8, 3D, Blu-ray recorder http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/blu-ray-dvd-players/blu-ray-dvd-players/BD-D8500A/XY/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=

with 3 year warranty for not much more than the Kogan tv and was here in Busso so I could see it b4 paying the $$

I assure you the visual effects of the 51" Plasma is terrific for watching the HOLDENS leading the Ferds round Mt Panorama and the Footy finals too and the sound produced by the Sansui 5.1 home theatre system is unreal  ;D

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:25:21 PM by Maîneÿ . . . »

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 10:41:56 PM »
Digital TV...Whats that.  ???
We are still on Analogue here on the South Coast of WA in Albany.
It seems we only just went colour
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 11:17:59 PM »
Your just down the coast from here and we only went digital a few weeks ago now, so one day soon you will be looking at the extra 14 or so chanels and the clarity is much better too

sure beats the 3 or 4 chanels we had here  :-[

Offline Janbo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Jayco Eagle - Jeep Cherokee KK
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 05:48:33 AM »
I love the Panasonic Viera, have three of the all sizes very reliable....
We are all in the gutter....... But some of us are looking at the stars!!

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The Camper trailer Whisperer
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 06:02:54 AM »
We have 2 Panasonic's one is a plasma and the other is a LCD. The kids give both of them an absolute workout. I tend to view it though my eyelids ;D.

When I went looking for the telly's I upgraded to the next model that was on the shelf simply because of componentry. If you can do your research on the telly you want to buy. Some companies share the same screen manufacturer, some share the same power supply manufacturer.

I am happy with the Panasonic and I also got extended waranty because of how my kids put a show on then walk out of the room and leave the telly burning and my wife turns it on for noise in the room.

The older Plasmas used heaps of juice mine is in the vicinity of 850w. But the car races look brilliant. LCD's don't use anywhere near that, I cant remember the specs on the LCD but I know it is quite a bit lower.

At the end of the day buy the one that is going to give you the best value for money by doing your research. There are a lot of models out there. Good luck
I hvae tlruobe wtih selplnig and dxsyliea. NOW I'TS YUOR TRUN!

Offline staghornflat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 07:06:02 AM »
[quote author=TOY80ST link=topic=16313.msg258921#msg258921 date=1318363374
We have 2 Panasonic's one is a plasma and the other is a LCD. The kids give both of them an absolute workout. I tend to view it though my eyelids ;D.

When I went looking for the telly's I upgraded to the next model that was on the shelf simply because of componentry. If you can do your research on the telly you want to buy. Some companies share the same screen manufacturer, some share the same power supply manufacturer.

I am happy with the Panasonic and I also got extended waranty because of how my kids put a show on then walk out of the room and leave the telly burning and my wife turns it on for noise in the room.

The older Plasmas used heaps of juice mine is in the vicinity of 850w. But the car races look brilliant. LCD's don't use anywhere near that, I cant remember the specs on the LCD but I know it is quite a bit lower.

At the end of the day buy the one that is going to give you the best value for money by doing your research. There are a lot of models out there. Good luck
[/quote]
x2 :cheers:

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 09:29:13 PM »
When I went looking for the telly's I upgraded to the next model that was on the shelf simply because of componentry. If you can do your research on the telly you want to buy. Some companies share the same screen manufacturer, some share the same power supply manufacturer

Totally agree.  Some of the TV manufacturers use a mis match of components from various suppliers when putting together TV's, so it pays to do some specific research on model numbers (not brands) before you buy.  As previously mentioned, the whirlpool website is a good resource to get some nitty gritty specifications on models and it always seems some technical geek on the website has pulled apart the internals of the TV to found out whats inside!

Having said this, the generic name brands of Panasonic, Sony and less so Samsung are usually a good choice for plasma or LCD TV's.  Unfortunately some of those lesser known brands can be a pain in the a*se if something goes wrong, as the majority of repair guys aren't interested in helping you out as soon as you mention the brand name - I learnt that first hand.

TV's are so cheap now anyway there is no need to buy crap.  My 50 inch Panasonic plasma brought 2.5 years ago for the bargain price at the time for $1799 can now be purchased for around $695!

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The Camper trailer Whisperer
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 05:53:52 AM »
  My 50 inch Panasonic plasma brought 2.5 years ago for the bargain price at the time for $1799 can now be purchased for around $695!

The model I bought is still the same price ;D. I paid $2140 and it was $2130 RRP when I looked the other week You could probably get it for $1950 with a bit of bargaining.. I like it when that happens.

My DSLR cannon EOS350 was $1499 (bargained down from $1630)with no bag, the 18 to 55 lense and no CF card. For that price now you can get the dual lense kit, a good quality camera bag and a 4gb CF card.
I hvae tlruobe wtih selplnig and dxsyliea. NOW I'TS YUOR TRUN!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 09:33:02 AM »
Quote from: dno
One thing to keep in mind is other items you may want to add to your TV,
a fire extinguisher?
they just melt together :D
http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/hometech/flat-screen-meltdown-sony-recalls-16m-tvs-20111013-1llrt.html
--

--