Author Topic: Stacking tubs  (Read 1802 times)

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
Stacking tubs
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:06:13 PM »
I'm still considering my storage options in the lift-off camper canopy.  I've got 9 of these tubs (except smaller 22L jobs) and was wondering how they would travel being stacked 3 high?  I was going to build shelves out of security screen and angle alloy, but was wondering if it was necessary.  I would probably stack these 3 high x 3 wide, and run a ratchet strap over them to stop them bouncing around.  When not in use, they could stack up neatly and allow bigger objects like kids bikes to be carried.

Anyone had any experience with this?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:33:03 PM by ryangus »

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Stacking tubs
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 01:19:23 AM »
It all depends on what type of plastic they are but you've got the key - tieing them down securely makes all the difference. If you can run ratchet straps over them and still have them easily accessible then it's worth a shot.

The easy access thing is the hard bit, though, I tend to find that at least half of my gear needs to be 'easily accessible' and stacked containers don't lend themselves to that sort of convenience.

Certainly a lot easier that building a drawer system though, and if you've already got them just go for it - do a weekender and see how it pans out for you.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:21:29 AM by Squalo »
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Stacking tubs
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 03:43:43 AM »
Looks as though you have souted out the stacking ok , might be an idear to run spoungy foam inbetween the boxes . This will bind them togethes but still have a bit of give under the load binder strap . I use big see through boxse like yours so I can at a glance find wtat I am looking for ( hopefully ) . When you have built the shelves the space becomes less flexable . So as Squalo said try it & see what works best for you  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust