Author Topic: What is the craziest thing you have seen while travelling/camping?  (Read 24040 times)

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: What is the craziest thing you have seen while travelling/camping?
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2016, 10:46:45 AM »
I spoke to a Ghan driver who said he saw a cyclist riding along the Ghan Rail line. Wasn't you was it?

nope.  my first big lap was in 92'-93' (18 months all up)

2nd big trip was 95'.

1st trip I stayed "mainly" on the main roads. Except for the Gibb. To this day... I still regret not turning north from Mt Isa into the Gulf.

2nd trip was constrained by time off work. On 4 weeks to do Cairns to the tip... so no side trips.
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
2018 GXL 78 Troopy with Alu-Cab conversion
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56

Offline Hefty

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2016, 01:18:03 PM »
Think all Swaggers in SEQ would know Duck Creek Rd between O'Reilly's & the Kerry Valley? For those that don't it's well & truly a 4wd track - more fun than anything super serious but still 4wd.

Last year, we'd gone most of the way down then back up to O'R's (Mrs' family "owns" one of the spots not far from the bottom of the road & we check it out / tidy it every once in a while). Back up top but still a k or so short of Luke's Farm, come round a bend & here's a bloke sitting stopped broadside across the road in the middle of a fairly deep puddle (had rained a few days earlier) in a hire Nissan Pulsar!  :o

He finished doing about a 15-point u-turn, slipping & sliding all over the place, then stopped half-off the side of the track, & waved us through. Asked if he was OK as we passed & he said, "Yep, we're fine thanks" in a strong American accent - "we're" but he's in the car by himself  ???

Another few hundred metre's along & here's a lady NOT dressed for bushwalking  ::), walking up the middle of the road heading back to the top of the track. Pulled up again & asked if she's OK - "Yes, thanks" through gritted teeth, once again with US accent & looking furious  >:D

Can only assume that they're touring, have visited O'R's, next stop is Beauie or similar & the GPS says that there's a nice road between here & there, that'll be a lot shorter than going all the way back to Canungra ...  :-[   :'(
Camped at Darlington park a few weekends back and drove Duck Ck Rd. It's a little more "rutty" than other times we've driven it atm and a few k's from the end of our return trip (having already passed an overheating Mitsy AWD) we passed a sporty little hatch (Honda or Hyundai or something). I radioed to my mate further back and he flagged him down to let him know the conditions. Smartly, but not entertainingly, he turned around and headed for home. Kinda wished he'd continued so we could turn around and watch...
"Roads?!...Where we're going we don't need roads!"

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »
I was in Wiepa and saw a ute coming up the road with a tinny on the back.

So what you say.

Sideways.

Their trailer broke, so they stuck the 4.2m tinny on the back of the ute sideways and drove the last 200km into town... Unfortunately they attracted the attention of the police as they drove past the airport and it was suggested that they go and borrow a trailer before going through town.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2016, 02:07:57 PM »
we passed a sporty little hatch (Honda or Hyundai or something).

Yeah, but it'll be 4wd so that's fine..... ;D

Isn't it?  >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2016, 10:04:58 AM »
My parents came across a Japanese tourist who'd run out of water cycling across the Nullarbor. They filled his '1L' water bottle for him.

The funniest thing I've seen was a poor woman's naked bum. We were winding our way through El Questro Gorge, and me being a straggler was well behind everyone else. The rest of our group had made it to the half way swimming hole, so the middle aged couple that were already there decided to leave. The wife stripped naked to change out of her wet gear as her loving husband held up the towel to protect her modesty from the group, but they seemed to have forgotten the gorge behind them, so everyone walking into the narrow gorge got a surprising show as she bent over to put fresh underwear on :o :-X   
We didn't let on that we'd seen, and they travelled on none the wiser ;D
Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2016, 10:40:04 AM »
2 years in a row on the Beachport to Robe leg, we saw some old bloke about 80 runnin down the beach in the bollox... I nearly drove into the ocean to cleanse my eyes.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Diesel Power

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2016, 12:46:37 PM »
Bird
That would be the Nora Creinna nudest camp.
Regards
Angus.
Work - dedicated or medicated?

1999 HZJ105 GXL Auto Fully kitted. SOLD.
2008 VDJ200 GXL Auto.
2007 Custom built soft floor. SOLD.
2015 Kimberley Karavan Classic. SOLD.
2012 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition.