Author Topic: Lake field. NP- camping with a trailer  (Read 3051 times)

Offline NewMax

• Tent User
Lake field. NP- camping with a trailer
« on: June 27, 2011, 02:56:50 PM »
Hi currently staying in NP near Cape Tribulation and heading to Lakefield NP.  On the DERM www page has information on camping sites in Lakefield and suggests all are suitable for tent rather than trailer.  We have a JAYCO trailer.  Have others found trailers ok in Lakefield NP campsites?

Offline ddr

• Tent User
Re: Lake field. NP- camping with a trailer
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 03:06:49 PM »
When we were there in 2008 we camped in the Kalpowar Crossing, there were only a few sites suitable for Caravan/Camper.  The board at the front was marked with people in them but when we got in there all the sites were jumbled.

IF you get a site that can handle a van/camper your ok, if not youll have bollards in your way.

We stayed in site 9 IIRC.   It worked for us but wasnt ideal.   Sites 7 & 8 were ok
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:09:52 PM by ddr »

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 03:35:20 PM »
Camped on the Hann River in Lakefield in '07, with then Kimberley Kamper.  There were numerous sites on the river, and other Lakefield camping sites that we thought suitable for camper trailers.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline allanjennison

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:54:43 PM »
Camped on the Hann River in Lakefield in '07, with then Kimberley Kamper.  There were numerous sites on the river, and other Lakefield camping sites that we thought suitable for camper trailers.
X2
Also in a Kimberley Kamper but in '08.
Quite a number of attractive individual camping locations that was unfortunately not small enough in our case to discourage an additional "tenant" arriving at a late hour on our selection despite the National Park site booking board details.
Safety in numbers? Because we did see a large crocodile cruise by late afternoon one day. Although the late arrivals were happy to fish standing thigh deep in water early the next day despite the signs to keep well away from the river banks.
Absolutely worth the visit.

Offline JAV6

• Tent User
  • "Love the OUTBACK"
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:07:17 PM »
Kalpowar is probably the most popular as has Cold showers. We stayed there a couple of years back with Camper and was fully booked when we got there. Lucky we pre booked. Not a bad liitle area with a short walkdown to the river were I saw my first fresh water croc (little fella about 2 foot). If you get to kalpowar early enough in the day I would go up a little further and camp somewere along the river plenty of places to camp. Kalpowar was very busy, must of been at least 15 to 20 other campers around us. Good luck and have fun
GU Patrol 4.2 TD with some mods.

Offline gruesome

• Don't follow me I'm LOST
  • Tent User
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »
Kalpower is more suited for tents but as said before sites 7-8 are more suited for trailers or vans, if my memory serves me correctly this was site 7 but one of the bollards was missing so we all set up in the one area,
cheers Andy

2001 Prado OME coils and springs, bfg 265/75/16, UHF, Warn 9000lb winch
dual batteries, snorkel, draw  system, TJM bar, hella lights
Complete Campsite trailer

Offline Matt02

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:39:25 AM »
Pretty sure if you ring ahead and tell the ranger that you have a camper they will direct you. We camped at Hann crossing site 18 last year. Was a fair distance from anyone else, close to the north kennedy river, and had the Mrs packing it all night as we may have seen a croc float past in the afternoon (just a little one). There was and even better site, possibly site 12 from memeory, that was right on the river on top of the bank, about a 2m drop straight down, so there shouldn't be too many unwanted guests, but would be good for fishing :laugh:
Hope that helps
Matt

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 07:50:50 PM »
You can also camp at "Old Faithfull" Water hole...a few k's before Kalpower...plenty of room for CT's

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline NewMax

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 08:43:28 AM »
Thanks guys for your thoughts. Off to Cooktown for a couple of nights tomorrow then up to Lakefield. Most of the Queensland National Parks we have stayed in we have needed to book online. Looks like for Lakefield back to putting $ in an envelope